Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's Jebediah Kerman's meat-byproduct-based cousin! :jeb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Can someone explain to me why Wrangler jeans that are $20 at Target and on Wrangler's site itself are $like $35 and up (and I mean UP) on Amazon?
What the gently caress.
Quite possibly not the same product. Some stuff sold to big, low-price chain stores is actually a "lower grade" version even though nominally the same thing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

InitialDave posted:

Quite possibly not the same product. Some stuff sold to big, low-price chain stores is actually a "lower grade" version even though nominally the same thing.

Yep, just like the "outlet" stores have product made specifically for the outlet, it's all the normal retail-mall merchandise.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Tomarse posted:

I now treat phones like I do cars cars. I like to buy a used one that is atleast 18 months old so that someone else takes the big financial hit, and so that by being a generation or two behind parts are cheap for me to fix it and I don't have to worry about damaging it during daily use.

I did that with my last two phones. Worked for the first one, but the 3rd gen moto x I bought in june just poo poo the bed and only half the screen works. So I'll probably go buy a moto g from best buy unless there's something better for $200 or less.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

jamal posted:

I did that with my last two phones. Worked for the first one, but the 3rd gen moto x I bought in june just poo poo the bed and only half the screen works. So I'll probably go buy a moto g from best buy unless there's something better for $200 or less.

Why not just buy a screen for it? (ive had the same sort of issues on iphones and its always been the screen/digitiser). My iphone got its 3rd screen tonight. The screens now only cost £15 as complete units with the camera and button attached :)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anyone bought those led strip lights before? Are they more of an accent light or are they good enough to shine down on a workbench from 3-4 feet above it?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
I am driving a 2017 Euro Ford for a few days. It's very.. different to my '89 Mercedes. It's less like driving, and more like piloting an Airbus. It's not bad though.

BraveUlysses posted:

Anyone bought those led strip lights before? Are they more of an accent light or are they good enough to shine down on a workbench from 3-4 feet above it?

It depends on the particular strip. I don't think the ones i've seen were good enough, personally.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Seminal Flu posted:

Yep, just like the "outlet" stores have product made specifically for the outlet, it's all the normal retail-mall merchandise.

Except that it's $21.99 on Wrangler's own website (actually, $16.99 - on sale currently)
Only difference from the ones on Wrangler's site is one letter in the part #, which I think does designate the retail channel: 9wrgams on Wrangler's site, 9trgams from Target (what I have). Same fabric percentages, though Target doesn't have the denim weight (13 oz @ Wrangler).
I could definitely see Walmart having their own special version - they're known to do that.

9wrgams on Amazon start @ $33.59.
I dunno, just goofy. I mean, I can just get them from Target's site (they never seem to have my size in stock.) Just curious why Amazon, bastion of cheaper retail, isn't, in this case. Pricey on eBay, too, but that's because eBay is getting filled with drop shippers and fronts.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Tomarse posted:

Why not just buy a screen for it? (ive had the same sort of issues on iphones and its always been the screen/digitiser). My iphone got its 3rd screen tonight. The screens now only cost £15 as complete units with the camera and button attached :)

Internet research seems to indicate that might not fix it, and for this phone they're more like $50 and the back is glued into place. The last time I tried replacing a screen it wouldn't pick up a signal afterward, so I had to buy a new phone anyway.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 12, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Like meltie said, kind of depends on the strip, and from how far away, but I'm using a stip like that across the width of my trunk lid in the Crown Vic, and it's excellent at lighting up the whole trunk. LEDs every inch or so, so maybe 48 total? I've also used a strip of about a dozen as fill lighting in a shadowy section of a storeroom to good effect.
You could always use two rows for more light. I've also seen nice aluminum extrusions with frosted lenses that the strips fit in to make them look nice.
https://www.banggood.com/50CM-Aluminum-Channel-Holder-For-LED-Strip-Light-Bar-Under-Cabinet-Lamp-p-1080421.html?rmmds=category

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Oh no! My project thread is locked for archiving. Goddamnit! poo poo.

Eh. Too sick to care right now. Wanna see a Niva's TC? No? Too bad.

e: ^^^ I've been thinking of LED strip lights for the kitchen. Under the top cabinets so it lights up the kitchen bench better. I guess it'd need some coated ones or something so they could be wiped down maybe?

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 13, 2017

antiquepacbell
Nov 4, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Except that it's $21.99 on Wrangler's own website (actually, $16.99 - on sale currently)
Only difference from the ones on Wrangler's site is one letter in the part #, which I think does designate the retail channel: 9wrgams on Wrangler's site, 9trgams from Target (what I have). Same fabric percentages, though Target doesn't have the denim weight (13 oz @ Wrangler).
I could definitely see Walmart having their own special version - they're known to do that.

9wrgams on Amazon start @ $33.59.
I dunno, just goofy. I mean, I can just get them from Target's site (they never seem to have my size in stock.) Just curious why Amazon, bastion of cheaper retail, isn't, in this case. Pricey on eBay, too, but that's because eBay is getting filled with drop shippers and fronts.

Unfortunately, so is Amazon.

antiquepacbell fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 13, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

antiquepacbell posted:

Amazon has gotten loving terrible about this. You have to do a lot of due diligence on anything remotely cheap or you risk getting a Chinese or Indian knockoff.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

who else is on the iPhone X train choo choo
Thousand bucks? Hell no.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

General_Failure posted:

Oh no! My project thread is locked for archiving. Goddamnit! poo poo.

Eh. Too sick to care right now. Wanna see a Niva's TC? No? Too bad.

Isn't that supposed to be inside/underneath the car?

quote:

e: ^^^ I've been thinking of LED strip lights for the kitchen. Under the top cabinets so it lights up the kitchen bench better. I guess it'd need some coated ones or something so they could be wiped down maybe?

Use the housings I linked. A friend has them, for the same purpose you describe (under cabinet lighting), and it works well.

antiquepacbell posted:

This is a point with some validity.

Liquid Communism posted:

Amazon has gotten loving terrible about this. You have to do a lot of due diligence on anything remotely cheap or you risk getting a Chinese or Indian knockoff.

The knockoffs are running T-Shirt Bordello out of business by listing their stuff under TSB's products, and Amazon seems to give no fucks. You select a TSB shirt, then Amazon changes the "sold by" when you select sizes, etc., or at least so the owner of the business says. I just buy directly from his website.

Speaking of T-shirts, Blipshift's design for today: https://www.blipshift.com/products/socket-snatchers

Note that the sockets being snatched are all 10mm. I like that detail. It speaks of experience.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The moment that Amazon let international sellers into the marketplace it turned to a shitshow. Imitation products or just straight wrong/misrepresented things. I'll buy only from domestic vendors and as much as I can 'from' Amazon directly. Edit: also pretty much if no Prime then no care and move along.

Edit iPhone/Apple event:
Series 3 watch has me intrigued. I'm getting a little more interested in getting fit again and having something that can integrate with my phone like that is enticing.
Apple TV looks awesome but I don't have a 4K tv or projector yet. I've had...Apple TV gen 3's? For years and love them. Positively kickass that all movies in your iTunes account that were HD are automatically upgraded to 4K and going forward all HD movies are the same price for the 4K.
iPhones...not very excited. I've hated the bigger phone (6 size the plus being :laffo: that I would never own). I went from a 6 to an SE and have loved it. I love the small phone. The return of the glass back is welcomed. The 6 was too slippery and required using a case (eeewww). Maybe the glass will be a little easier for goon fingers to hold on to? My iPhone 4S was my favorite form factor, the SE performance has been everything I wanted from a phone. Animated emojis are the last thing this world needs. Holy crud that is stupid.

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 13, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I almost exclusively buy shipped/sold-by amazon. Because Prime.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I won't even buy shipped/sold-by Amazon if it's something that is easy to counterfeit as I don't trust them to keep their inventory separate. After a few years of not really ordering from anywhere other than Amazon, I've been pleasantly surprised that shipping speeds from not-Amazon seem to have improved a lot and I'm getting most ground shipped items within 3-4 days of my order despite it coming from at least halfway across the country.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Power is back on! :toot:

No Internet though, but that I can deal with. No more attempting to sleep in a 90* house!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Isn't that supposed to be inside/underneath the car?

Yes. There's nothing wrong with it though besides being dirty. I was going to do a thread update. Short version is took it for inspection. Got failed on a bunch of things. Most were fair enough and just needed adjustment to fix. However I don't know how they decided the U joint between the gearbox and TC was bad. I've had to pull the TC, and all the loving around associated with it just to get to the drat U-joint. Turns out it was pretty stiff. The cross' runs are scored so it's junk. It's going to be a platinum coated bastard to put everything right again. Worst part will be aligning the TC to the gearbox. If they aren't perfect everything vibrates.
So I'm just waiting on the local bearing place to get one in. Should be here this afternoon if I'm lucky.

quote:

Use the housings I linked. A friend has them, for the same purpose you describe (under cabinet lighting), and it works well.

Nice! Thanks.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
omg the wife is throwing a loving tantrum because she picked the wrong kitchen package and we don't get the facade she wants on the island and i literally cannot care less because these i'm just gonna order the cabinet panels we need and glue them on like nothing ever happened

these are the 1st world-est of problems and i literally could not care less and she is losing her goddamn mind

what the gently caress is wrong with this planet?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

meltie posted:

It depends on the particular strip. I don't think the ones i've seen were good enough, personally.

thanks, i skipped it and went with a proper led shop light

costco's newest version of the shop light is pretty good, even if the price is now up to 30 bucks it's outdoor rated and has a motion sensor too

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
10 hours to drive across one state, 4 hours were there was literally nothing but two service stations and a handful of B-Double trucks. 14 hours of otherwise bum gently caress all towing a trailer and the car drinking at 17l/100km.

gently caress me, it's not until you do something liek that you realise just how big, desolate and empty the loving place is. Think I've had enough of driving for one day

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Galler posted:

I won't even buy shipped/sold-by Amazon if it's something that is easy to counterfeit as I don't trust them to keep their inventory separate. After a few years of not really ordering from anywhere other than Amazon, I've been pleasantly surprised that shipping speeds from not-Amazon seem to have improved a lot and I'm getting most ground shipped items within 3-4 days of my order despite it coming from at least halfway across the country.

Yeah, one of the good side effects of Prime was the USPS doing their last mile and upping their shipping game significantly as a result. A lot of the other stuff I order is quicker now because they can afford to have more freight runs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think the other part of it is sellers have all stepped up their game on processing orders quickly. When Amazon can get me something same day without charging me anything for that service (other than Prime), no other seller has any excuse for sitting on an order for three days before it ships.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

10 hours to drive across one state, 4 hours were there was literally nothing but two service stations and a handful of B-Double trucks. 14 hours of otherwise bum gently caress all towing a trailer and the car drinking at 17l/100km.

gently caress me, it's not until you do something liek that you realise just how big, desolate and empty the loving place is. Think I've had enough of driving for one day

It never fails to impress me, and I always think about the early settlers traveling through the same areas.

I also love the pattern of nothingness->small town->suburbs->major city->suburbs->town->nothing again as you travel through states.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I've done west to east before, and perth to north before. It's pretty easy going with a co driver, but very boring alone. My grandfather drove perth-syd and back in the 60s when there was no paved roads, and with an old renault of all things. That would have taken guts back then. Also just before he died he took a barina* to the Kimberlys up north.

What are you doing in barossa CT? A roadtrip, moving cars or moving on?

*rebadged suzuki swift, and which I think was a chevette or metro in the US?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Guessing it's for round 4 of the Australian Rally Championship.

I'm gonna be going through CT's neck of the woods to attend an XC race in Yellomundee on Sunday, looks like we timed that well :v:.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yep down at South Aust for Rally SA. Come say hi at the service park at Mt Crawford

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

omg the wife is throwing a loving tantrum because she picked the wrong kitchen package and we don't get the facade she wants on the island and i literally cannot care less because these i'm just gonna order the cabinet panels we need and glue them on like nothing ever happened

these are the 1st world-est of problems and i literally could not care less and she is losing her goddamn mind

what the gently caress is wrong with my wife?

*cough*

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Rather have a phone i can janitor and fiddle with rather than be locked out of such options, but its very true a lot of android users would be happier with ios.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with this planet?

Im gonna bet that its not really about anything to do with the kitchen, its just how its presenting itself. Brace yourself for a talk.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamn.. today got kinda expensive.

My LF tire has been known as Baldielocks for too long. I was planning on replacing it this weekend when I get paid.

My LR tire has had a leak for a couple of weeks. Initially it was going flat within a few hours. I did the sinful and used Fix A Flat in it, and it would keep air for a couple of days after that. Went in to see if the leak could be fixed (and yes, I warned them it had fix a flat in it). It had a leak in the sidewall, so it got replaced under road hazard.

Then the "so uh.. we saw your LF. We really don't feel comfortable with you driving on that. We can help you out on price a bit if you're strapped, or we'll let you leave if you sign a release of liability". I opted for the help on the price. It was do it now or do it Friday. My student loan payment will have to wait a few more days.

$136 later... :sigh: And of course they pointed out the RF needs some love soon. That one was replaced under road hazard when the 2 fronts (including Baldielocks) had about 10k (yes they've been rotated multiple times, shush). It's not down to the bars yet, but it's close. So they'll get me for another ~$100 soon. At least I'll have matching tires.. right now the RF is a Falken, and the others are Barums - I'm getting some pretty crazy torque steer now that I have a brand new Barum on the LF and a mostly worn Falekn on the RF. :argh:

The low coolant message has popped up 3 times in the past 3 days too. Looked fine the other day, maybe a tiny bit low (it came on going around a long highway speed curve originally). Tonight it was definitely on the low side. So I guess I need to track down a leak. I'm due for new coolant anyway, I guess I'll throw some dye in and see where it appears.

Some neat news though. One of my best friends had her daughter come out tonight. I mean... friend kinda already suspected (friend is bi, friend has a lot of LGBT in her family), but her daughter made it official. I wish I had the balls to start coming out at 15! They're close to Denton, where I used to live, and the Unitarian Universalist church there not only has an LGBT youth group, but they're also very welcoming of wiccans/pagans. (friend's family falls into all of that).

Fo3 posted:

And every time a car dealer or someone related to their operations posts why they are difficult to deal with, they get ragged on. Buyers suck in general, and sometimes the buyer is you. Of course sellers suck too. Everyone out to make a buck or save a buck sucks.

I know this isn't an option for you, but after my last experience, I'll most likely be selling my cars to CarMax now. They give you the same regardless as to whether you buy from them or not. I was going to post my old car for $1500 on Craigslist, with my bottom line being $1000-1200 (depending on their attitude). CarMax gave me $1200 for it on the spot.

I'll take a little bit of a hit if it means I can eliminate haggling. Detail the car, drive it to them, they spend an hour going over it, they give you a written offer good for a week. Zero stress. Their car buying is similar, though their cars are priced at the high end if you buy from them (warranty, though, which is uncommon on used cars).

angryrobots posted:

Got a call back on my truck, wasn't bad fuel just a dead fuel pump. Eye watering r&r ($700 for delphi fuel pump, filter, and large vehicle flat tow) reminds me why I try to do my own work.

Fuel pumps are one of those things where I go OEM or nothing. I don't like having to do a job twice, and I ESPECIALLY don't want to do that kind of a PITA job twice.

Galler posted:

I won't even buy shipped/sold-by Amazon if it's something that is easy to counterfeit as I don't trust them to keep their inventory separate.

This is a HUGE issue with "fulfilled by Amazon" goods. Up until VERY recently (and I doubt it's 100% now), anything with the same SKU got lumped into the same bins. Even if they were obviously counterfeits and look nothing alike.

It was becoming an issue with even "Sold by Amazon.com" goods for a long time, since hey it's the same SKU therefore it's the exact same product right

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, one of the good side effects of Prime was the USPS doing their last mile and upping their shipping game significantly as a result. A lot of the other stuff I order is quicker now because they can afford to have more freight runs.

AMZL does a lot of the last mile now in major metro areas. I work for a part of AMZL myself (though I do same day Prime Now, Restaurants, and Fresh deliveries - I don't do the logistics side).

Most AMZL drivers don't give a poo poo wipe. You're lucky if your package even makes it to your zip code instead of the driver's house - and of the drivers that do wipe, if your address isn't clearly visible and it's not a super upscale neighborhood, good luck. Their delivery app also doesn't detect mock GPS apps (which has come in handy when I'm running late on a time critical delivery - even 1 second late could mean I get terminated, when a customer isn't going to care about me rolling up 30 seconds late - but a lot of people use it to just "travel" to every delivery and mark as delivered).

DesperateDan posted:

Rather have a phone i can janitor and fiddle with rather than be locked out of such options, but its very true a lot of android users would be happier with ios.

Personally, I have 2 Android devices (Moto X 2014 on stock Marshmallow, Nexus 6P on stock Oreo), and 1 iOS device (5S on 11 Beta). iOS drives me loving crazy. It just feels so.. antiquated.

The Oreo update severely broke Bluetooth in a lot of ways though. In my own experience, I can no longer use BT speakers, my BT glucose meter no longer works, and my BT heart rate monitor is also DOA. They work fine on my work phone (the Moto), but putting those apps on that phone means I can no longer 100% legally write off everything related to that phone as a work expense.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Some neat news though. One of my best friends had her daughter come out tonight. I mean... friend kinda already suspected (friend is bi, friend has a lot of LGBT in her family), but her daughter made it official. I wish I had the balls to start coming out at 15! They're close to Denton, where I used to live, and the Unitarian Universalist church there not only has an LGBT youth group, but they're also very welcoming of wiccans/pagans. (friend's family falls into all of that).

My wife works in high schools, and I was really surprised when she told me the amount of kids that are out as being gay/bi/trans around that age, and how it doesn't seem to be that big a deal. I mean, I doubt it's easy, it's obviously a big deal to them, and I imagine there lives aren't free of bullying and prejudice, but it seems like a totally different world to when we were at school - I don't remember anybody being openly out and we aren't that old - early to mid 30's.

It's not even as if these are particularly special or progressive schools - they are the not so good schools in not so good catchment areas of Scotland.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yep down at South Aust for Rally SA.

I had a feeling. Which route through the land ocean did you take?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

AMZL does a lot of the last mile now in major metro areas. I work for a part of AMZL myself (though I do same day Prime Now, Restaurants, and Fresh deliveries - I don't do the logistics side).

Most AMZL drivers don't give a poo poo wipe. You're lucky if your package even makes it to your zip code instead of the driver's house - and of the drivers that do wipe, if your address isn't clearly visible and it's not a super upscale neighborhood, good luck. Their delivery app also doesn't detect mock GPS apps (which has come in handy when I'm running late on a time critical delivery - even 1 second late could mean I get terminated, when a customer isn't going to care about me rolling up 30 seconds late - but a lot of people use it to just "travel" to every delivery and mark as delivered).

Yeah, it's 150 miles to the nearest major metro out here, so our last mile is almost always USPS or in a rare moment of madness FedEx.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Fuel pumps are one of those things where I go OEM or nothing. I don't like having to do a job twice, and I ESPECIALLY don't want to do that kind of a PITA job twice.

Oh absolutely. I was annoyed when I looked up the Delphi p/n on Amazon and it was $160, but checked it at NAPA where I'm sure they got it locally, and it was $300.

I suppose buying from Amazon for something like this may run into counterfeit issues that you guys were just talking about...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

General_Failure posted:

I had a feeling. Which route through the land ocean did you take?

Hay Plains / Mallee via the Stuart Hwy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

stump posted:

My wife works in high schools, and I was really surprised when she told me the amount of kids that are out as being gay/bi/trans around that age, and how it doesn't seem to be that big a deal. I mean, I doubt it's easy, it's obviously a big deal to them, and I imagine there lives aren't free of bullying and prejudice, but it seems like a totally different world to when we were at school - I don't remember anybody being openly out and we aren't that old - early to mid 30's.

It's not even as if these are particularly special or progressive schools - they are the not so good schools in not so good catchment areas of Scotland.

It's INCREDIBLY different from when I was her age. I was in high school in the 90s - I started coming out as "bi" around 17, but I was literally using it as a stepping stone to coming out as gay. Bi seemed a lot less... bad. And because of my upbringing, GAY IS BAD, but I knew I was gay when I was 12 or so.

I can't even begin to relate to what kids coming out today go through compared to when I came out (and, well, got outed to my family, thanks to mom "cleaning out my desk for me", which kinda resulted in me being homeless briefly). I grew up in a pretty religious household, and even the bi bit didn't go over well at all. I still tried to cling to "bi" for a long time - until about 25 - partly because of my rather religious upbringing, I didn't want to accept "gay". If you get me drunk enough, some bi tendencies may come out (I'll make out with pretty much anyone, for example), but vagina just grosses me the gently caress out. Boobs and tits are A-Okay for me, but not in a sexual way - they compliment a woman's figure very well, and they make really awesome pillows.

I'm a little older than you, I think - I'm 39, and graduated HS (I guess that'd be secondary school for you? grade 12 is the end of secondary for us if I'm reading it right?) a little younger than most of my peers (I was 17, most were 18), in 1996. Age was more because I have a summer birthday.

I was also very far behind my peers in social skills (and still am, really) while I was way the gently caress ahead in book learning (teachers telling my parents I was reading above a college level while in 5th grade, for example, and always winding up with some weird obsessions). Part of me thinks I'm on the autism spectrum (all of my close friends are either confirmed aspies or functional autists, I show a lot of symptoms myself, and autism runs strongly in my family on my mom's side). Whatever, I dealt with it a long time ago, I'm used to being different, and getting an official diagnosis these days would just be a waste of time and money. But part of my mentality is stuck firmly in typical late 20s/early 30s, while part is firmly :corsair:.

angryrobots posted:

Oh absolutely. I was annoyed when I looked up the Delphi p/n on Amazon and it was $160, but checked it at NAPA where I'm sure they got it locally, and it was $300.

I suppose buying from Amazon for something like this may run into counterfeit issues that you guys were just talking about...

Amazon and Rockauto are my go-to if I don't need the part that day. Even then, Amazon can often have the part to me within 24 hours if I order early enough and it's stocked within a couple of hundred miles - my radiator fan was here less than 12 hours after ordering it, without paying anything extra for shipping - it was expensive enough to qualify for free 1 day shipping (already have prime), ordered around 10pm, was at my door around 8am. Wasn't the OEM part (TYC vs Delphi/Delco, but TYC was $60 vs $200+, and I needed it yesterday), but it came with the harness adapter to make it fit every year model of my car, and it was pretty simple to throw in.

It does help being within 10 miles of the AMZL fulfillment center that delivers to me.

For car parts, counterfeit (ON AMAZON ANYWAY) isn't nearly as much of an issue if you stick with "Sold by Amazon.com" or "Fulfilled by Amazon". Most of them are either so bulky or low volume enough that it's just not worth cranking out a counterfeit. My TYC radiator fan was $60, had a shipping weight of nearly 10 pounds... it's just not worth cranking out some halfass pile of poo poo (.... more halfass than TYC cranks out) when it's something that big and heavy. I've purchased several OEM Delco/Delphi parts from Amazon as well - most recent being an EVAP purge solenoid. Came in the original AC Delco shrink wrap, with the same PN molded in, and looked identical (exact same weight too). But that was "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com ONLY ONE LEFT".

I still have the original fan.. it wound up having a piece of the shroud snap off and get stuck in the blades, so when the lovely TYC one fails, I can swap the OEM back in.

reminds me.. I need to order a new MAF. My MPG is hurting baaaaad now (24 mpg last 2 tanks, down from my typical 30-34 mpg), only codes are MAF and post-cat O2 sensor.

tl;dr rambling more than an amc rambler

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 13, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Good to know, I've used Amazon plenty, obviously most jobs you know are coming up. Edit: I WAS planning on putting bilstein shocks and Sulastic leaf spring shackles on the truck, get it riding a little better on our terrible roads, but it appears my truck budget is blown for a while...

For same day stuff (ignition coil on the tundra, fuel pump on the MJ that was supposed to be sold that weekend), I've had good luck with O'Reilly getting name brand stuff for a very good price.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If it's something I need RIGHT THEN, I hit Google for Advance Auto coupons, then make an online order for in-store pickup. Almost always ready within 15-30 minutes.

They seem to have blocked most coupon stacking :smith: but even little poo poo gets discounted.

For example, I smacked a pothole really goddamn hard last night - enough that both my front passenger low beam and front passenger turn signal called it quits. Walmart had the headlight bulb, but they didn't have 4157NA bulbs (or even 3157NA, which are the same thing without krypton) - they only had the clear versions.

Ordered online for in-store pickup, got 20% off. Sure, it was a $6.99 product before tax (that's loving rape for 2 light bulbs :argh:), but after tax it brought it down to $6.09.

• Locked thread