Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Badger of Basra posted:

I don't particularly care whether the tax is included or not but I'm totally baffled as to why everyone thinks it's such a huge problem that it isn't.
I'm under the impression that the people going "why doesn't the US include sales tax in their displayed prices?" haven't spent enough time over here to realize it has zero impact on people's daily lives.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

it is as generally grocery items are not taxed
They are if you're lucky enough to live in Illinois! :shepface: It's not the same as the general sales tax rate(1%, iirc), but still a surprise to people moving here.

got any sevens posted:

Kroger isnt any better :/
Kroger bought out one of the local grocery chains(Roundy's) and I've been keeping my eyes peeled for the inevitable drop in quality. Although there's loads of competition over here, so it might not be too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Solkanar512 posted:

No, I mean one container of yogurt will have the price listed in ounces, and the other will be listed in pints or gallons. The same brand of ketchup was listed in ounces or gallons based on the size of the container. I've seen cheese listed in either ounces, pounds or grams. That's some petty bullshit right there.

We use the measure to also denote the size of the container as well as how much is in it. If something is measured in gallons, it means it's a lot of it, a plus-size container, vs something measured ounces, the assumption being it's always less than 16 oz (1 lb) overall.

Also manufacturers like to play volume games to make people feel like they're getting more bang for their buck, which is why lbs measurements get used once things are large enough.

Consider it in the same realm as gendered words in other languages - it makes sense if you were raised here, but probably a little baffling and inscrutable from the outside.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Heliogabalos posted:

it is always a self-entitled middle aged white guy who goes into rage mode instead of assessing the causal factors for his inability to make tech thing do good what he want

it's called privilege, also cf. white fragility "I cannot conceivably be the cause of this annoying feedback loop"

Oh I didn't know only white people got confused by self checkouts or technology, thx

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

call to action posted:

Oh I didn't know only white people got confused by self checkouts or technology, thx

reverse racism!!!!!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Oh sure, you rage on for pages about how stupid Americans are for requiring people to a.) know a number b.) do a single, simple piece of math in their heads with that number, but people go "actually it's like this for these reasons and it's not that big of a deal" and you're :qq:ing about "insults." While you're on a learning-things kick maybe tackle the concept that asking people to repeat an explanation multiple times while implying they're all morons for not changing the explanation to whatever imaginary answer you were angling for tends to wear on people's patience. Even us big fat dumb Americans with our big fat dumb elementary-grade math problem.

We do have per-unit pricing here in the States too. Try not to "fly off the handle" about this fact, you gigantic crybaby.

Never raged on anyone or insinuated americans were dumb (or fat, what the hell are you projecting about now?), I'm the dumb one for being bad at doing math in my head and preferring final prices on the sticker. Are you doing that thing you often do where you put words into people's mouths and get really nasty towards them over things they never said but you totally read between the lines and know what they're really thinking and feeling? I'm usually a fan of your posting TB but I have no idea why you decided to single me out on this, it's really pointlessly nasty.

Sales taxes are an interesting topic, the US's very fractured system is a bit odd compared to the rest of the world. For instance a lot of US mall construction was done right at the borders of incorporated areas so that the malls could serve a town or city without paying any taxes towards it because it was just over the border into an unincorporated area that didn't have the local sales tax or local property tax. Or people in Vancouver WA all going over the border to Oregon to shop because WA has about 10% tax while Oregon has 0%. You often get these huge strip malls right on borders of states with low/no sales tax and there's pretty much nothing business on the other side of the border can do to compete. It can also read to a "race to the bottom" situation where areas have to compete for the lowest taxes to "attract business".

It's even like that a bit with Canada and the US. There's some small US towns where like 50%+ of their retail business is Canadians coming over to shop. Even with the lovely dollar, even with having to pay duties when coming back into Canada, even with the hassle of crossing the border, it still ends up being worth it for them because a lot of poo poo is just so so much cheaper.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

call to action posted:

Man you never miss a cue. Normally someone would draw the short straw and deliver the obvious, unnecessary "not ALL ____" disclaimer but you actually are every shrieking, belligerent, ignorant, arrogant white dude stereotype, as evidenced by the fact that your ears start burning every time someone makes an observation about That Guy. If you weren't you'd be able to chuckle "yeah those guys suck" with the rest of us, but instead you tirelessly man your minority-poster-tracker switchboard and swoop in every time your sacred douchebag culture is maligned.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

Sales taxes are an interesting topic, the US's very fractured system is a bit odd compared to the rest of the world.

this is one of those things where it's rooted in america's past conception as being a collection of nations rather than today's america, where a strong federal government means america is more like a single nation with a relatively large degree of state independence. same reason why america has thirteen thousand educational districts and the federal government has very little power to mandate transportation or land use planning

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

Never raged on anyone or insinuated americans were dumb (or fat, what the hell are you projecting about now?), I'm the dumb one for being bad at doing math in my head and preferring final prices on the sticker. Are you doing that thing you often do where you put words into people's mouths and get really nasty towards them over things they never said but you totally read between the lines and know what they're really thinking and feeling? I'm usually a fan of your posting TB but I have no idea why you decided to single me out on this, it's really pointlessly nasty.

Sales taxes are an interesting topic, the US's very fractured system is a bit odd compared to the rest of the world. For instance a lot of US mall construction was done right at the borders of incorporated areas so that the malls could serve a town or city without paying any taxes towards it because it was just over the border into an unincorporated area that didn't have the local sales tax or local property tax. Or people in Vancouver WA all going over the border to Oregon to shop because WA has about 10% tax while Oregon has 0%. You often get these huge strip malls right on borders of states with low/no sales tax and there's pretty much nothing business on the other side of the border can do to compete. It can also read to a "race to the bottom" situation where areas have to compete for the lowest taxes to "attract business".

It's even like that a bit with Canada and the US. There's some small US towns where like 50%+ of their retail business is Canadians coming over to shop. Even with the lovely dollar, even with having to pay duties when coming back into Canada, even with the hassle of crossing the border, it still ends up being worth it for them because a lot of poo poo is just so so much cheaper.
I went back and tried to count how many posters explained American sales tax and got bored around the 20 mark. You had your answer dozens of times over, but you didn't like it so you did the "but why?" act like a toddler until people's patience wore thin and now you're bawling at how "mean" everyone is. If you want to be included in discussions you need to accept that facts remain true even if you don't like them, and forcing people to repeat themselves is going to make them dislike you.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

boner confessor posted:

this is one of those things where it's rooted in america's past conception as being a collection of nations rather than today's america, where a strong federal government means america is more like a single nation with a relatively large degree of state independence. same reason why america has thirteen thousand educational districts and the federal government has very little power to mandate transportation or land use planning

And in order to fix Federalism we would need a revolution or a new Constitution. Which just ain't gonna happen.

We're stuck with a 250 year old beta version of a modern democracy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

blowfish posted:

then fix your tax code to have more standardisation and common sense instead of freedom

Completely renovating the entire tax structure of a country is not something that's done lightly. The EU's barely been able to hammer each country into having unified codes within themselves with generally more pliant participants.

Badger of Basra posted:

Has someone ITT literally pulled out their phone to calculate the post tax price or their items when they went to the grocery store or something? That seems insane.

One time I didn't remember whether the state was going to hold a sales tax holiday this year on the day it was going to happen so I checked that (turns out we didn't have one this year, or the year before, but we did have one in 2015). Does that count?

(For reference Massachusetts sales tax holidays, when they're held, will be a weekend in August where purchases under $2500 but not restaurant meals, cars, or alcohol/tobacco products, get 0% rate on tax. Anything that costs $2500 or more is taxed at full rate. At this rate there's been 12 sales tax holiday years out of the past 15 years)

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Xae posted:

And in order to fix Federalism we would need a revolution or a new Constitution. Which just ain't gonna happen.

We're stuck with a 250 year old beta version of a modern democracy.

It's time for a Revision :getin:

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Man you never miss a cue. Normally someone would draw the short straw and deliver the obvious, unnecessary "not ALL ____" disclaimer but you actually are every shrieking, belligerent, ignorant, arrogant white dude stereotype, as evidenced by the fact that your ears start burning every time someone makes an observation about That Guy. If you weren't you'd be able to chuckle "yeah those guys suck" with the rest of us, but instead you tirelessly man your minority-poster-tracker switchboard and swoop in every time your sacred douchebag culture is maligned.

You're doing a pretty great job of appropriating douchebag culture yourself with your endless self-righteous shitposting streak.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bloodysabbath posted:

You're doing a pretty great job of appropriating douchebag culture yourself with your endless self-righteous shitposting streak.

Tell me more about feeeemales.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

I wouldn't go so far as to give whiteness the bromide of being an actual culture, with all the anthropological bona fides and positivity and depth and complexity that that conveys, but thanks for identifying and calling out this person so I know better than to respond. I cannot seriously believe people go around unironically dog-whistling reverse racism - when all I was doing was identifying a not-surprisingly common trope among white people: fragility, entitlement and contempt for that which they are too lazy to try and comprehend.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Tell me more about feeeemales.

Tell me more about being so hurt up in your rear end I dared to interrupt your "Retail Buyers Are Systematically Oppressing Me By Not Stocking Pants I Like" derail that you dropped a tenner on changing my av to some laughably off base horseshit.

bloodysabbath fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 12, 2017

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Heliogabalos posted:

I cannot seriously believe people go around unironically dog-whistling racism - when all I was doing was identifying a not-surprisingly common trope among black people: fragility, entitlement and contempt for that which they are too lazy to try and comprehend.

Funny how that reads differently just by changing white to black? Is your goal to ensure that whites are eventually just as badly hurt by racism as any other by actively being racist towards them?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

bloodysabbath posted:

I found it fascinating that even though you neither explicitly said nor even slightly implied anything to the effect, she immediately went with the sexist/misogynist defence.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

baquerd posted:

Funny how that reads differently just by changing white to black? Is your goal to ensure that whites are eventually just as badly hurt by racism as any other by actively being racist towards them?

i dunno about that other poster but 100% my goal on posting on the something awful forums is to destroy the white race. 100%. count it

watch out, honky. i am going to hurt you

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Haifisch posted:

I'm under the impression that the people going "why doesn't the US include sales tax in their displayed prices?" haven't spent enough time over here to realize it has zero impact on people's daily lives.

They are if you're lucky enough to live in Illinois! :shepface: It's not the same as the general sales tax rate(1%, iirc), but still a surprise to people moving here.

Kroger bought out one of the local grocery chains(Roundy's) and I've been keeping my eyes peeled for the inevitable drop in quality. Although there's loads of competition over here, so it might not be too bad.

Food quality and prices are fine at kroger, but they treat their employees like poo poo, as company policy. Like, they actually train managers to break labor laws

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JustJeff88 posted:

I found it fascinating that even though you neither explicitly said nor even slightly implied anything to the effect, she immediately went with the sexist/misogynist defence.

Or I looked at his avatar, but sure.

Also, per the moderator of this forum I'm an "it," please update your stalker collages accordingly.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Or I looked at his avatar, but sure.

Also, per the moderator of this forum I'm an "it," please update your stalker collages accordingly.

The avatar that you or a fellow mental patient bought me because I threw the slightest bit of cheek at your ongoing derail confirms your opinion of me. Cool.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

boner confessor posted:

i dunno about that other poster but 100% my goal on posting on the something awful forums is to destroy the white race. 100%. count it

watch out, honky. i am going to hurt you

Hell, same.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This derail is the worst, fishmech would be proud

Why is everything priced at X.99 instead of an even dollar?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This derail is the worst, fishmech would be proud

90's nostalgia

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Some people say it actually convinces people it's even "cheaper" than using a whole dollar value, like by more than just the 1 cent difference would imply. And you see, or used to see, the equivalent in other places where different amounts are the lowest you could pay by coin, like how the UK used to have half-penny coins so things would be priced at whatever and 1/2, in countries where any coin below 5/100 of the unit's value is eliminated they'll do .95 a bunch, and so on.

But it's probably just tradition at this point. And it certainly helps today people are way more likely to use a credit/debit card account to pay so the slightly lower prices don't result in needing to carry a lot of change in coins after a few purchases.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Badger of Basra posted:

Has someone ITT literally pulled out their phone to calculate the post tax price or their items when they went to the grocery store or something? That seems insane.

Not the grocery store, but I customers at my old retail job would occasionally ask for exact pries including tax and I got to whip out the calculator to give it to them. But that was kind of a luxury product, so maybe people were more inclined to stick to an exact budget.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

there wolf posted:

Not the grocery store, but I customers at my old retail job would occasionally ask for exact pries including tax and I got to whip out the calculator to give it to them. But that was kind of a luxury product, so maybe people were more inclined to stick to an exact budget.

It's a massive pain in the rear end for service/labor suppliers who have to charge sales/use tax. Oh I did work in Everett today I have to bill their place of business in Everett,at 9.78% sales tax. Tomorrow I'm in Seattle with a 10.1% sales tax. I must carry a business licence to operate in every one of those localities and make sure I track and pay each different rate to each different agency or you know I'll get the tax colonoscopy.

I hate the sales tax system and wish we could actually pull our heads out of our asses long enough to vote an income tax into law.

RuanGacho posted:

It's time for a Revision :getin:

ohhhh the Revision. It has a certain dystopian ring to it. I like it.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If you have ever felt frustration with a self checkout system, check your white male privilege (regardless of whatever gender and race you happen to be)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

Okay. The reason our tax code is that way is because we have a federal form of government, and every state, county, and city can make their own laws, taxes included. Now, I can't speak for Canada, but in America in order to change this we would require, at minimum, a extremely thorough and long constitutional amendment, or a constitutional convention, or a revolution. That's what it would take to centralize the U.S. government, and you can see why nobody is thrilled about the idea of doing that to make the tax code make slightly more sense.

That never stopped the EU and we had even worse circumstances going into it.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce
Sorry for contributing to the terrible derail.

Can we talk about loss prevention, in particular among employees? Has there been any quantitative or analytical research undertaken to identify potential sticky fingers and/or in general reduce the temptation of theft?

I ask this because the high end retail non-franchise shop I co-manage at has a terrible discount (30% off retail), and there is a massive loss rate. I fortunately benefit from a good discount, but the general refrain from staff is, "are they surprised?" And they are terrible at curbing the loose ends - they don't even inspect the garbage and cardboard, or have any sort of anti-theft detection system.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Heliogabalos posted:

Sorry for contributing to the terrible derail.

Can we talk about loss prevention, in particular among employees? Has there been any quantitative or analytical research undertaken to identify potential sticky fingers and/or in general reduce the temptation of theft?

I ask this because the high end retail non-franchise shop I co-manage at has a terrible discount (30% off retail), and there is a massive loss rate. I fortunately benefit from a good discount, but the general refrain from staff is, "are they surprised?" And they are terrible at curbing the loose ends - they don't even inspect the garbage and cardboard, or have any sort of anti-theft detection system.

30% off retail is pretty good.

10% off is standard at big box places.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

baquerd posted:

:thunk: something tells me you wouldn't advocate that slavery was good if white were changed to black.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017

Xae posted:

30% off retail is pretty good.

10% off is standard at big box places.

in my boutiquey retail niche, cost or cost + 10% is normal after 30 days, and brands offer even better deals directly

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
In my experience working at big corporate retail across a bunch of different companies, there was a pretty direct correlation between "employee discount/employee treatment" and shrinkage. My understanding is that loss rates vary all over the place within chains, but the Barnes and Nobles I worked at were generally well run on a local level and the employee discount was solid (with quarterly weekends where you got an even bigger discount) and we did had a pretty good shrink rate.

Meanwhile, I worked briefly in the late 1990s at a Sam Goody where we still had to look up SKUs on microfiche, make special orders on carbon paper, weird limits were put on our employee discount, and they did poo poo like straight up patting every employee down when they clocked out/left the store. That store had a ridiculous problem with theft. In general, the more draconian the measures taken by chains to crack down on employees because of the assumption they were stealing, the more stealing took place.

Also I don't believe anyone is actually posting about this in good faith, but in terms of entitled consumers my perception has always been "not all white consumers are entitled assholes, but almost all entitled rear end in a top hat consumers are white consumers."

Case in point, this past Saturday my store clerk was running late and so I was opening the store up at 11am, the posted time in every possible place you can post hours for the store to be open. Since I wasn't planning on doing all the opening stuff, I started a little late and by the time I flipped the sign to "open" a woman shoved her arm through the door as I was trying to bring a sandwich board out to the sidewalk with a refrain of "ARE YOU ACTUALLY OPEN BECAUSE YOUR SIGN SAYS OPEN BUT NOT ALL OF YOUR LIGHTS ARE ON ALSO WE'VE BEEN WAITING OUTSIDE FOR AN HOUR MY ENTIRE FAMILY IS OUTSIDE FOR AN HOUR WHY ARE YOU JUST OPENING NOW YOU SAY YOUR HOURS ARE AT 11 BUT I SAW YOU INSIDE FIFTEEN MINUTES AGO PUTTING THINGS OUT WHY WEREN'T YOU OPEN WE WAITED FOR AN HOUR THAT IS BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE and then like three adults and five children came in, wandered around, knocked some stuff over, didn't buy anything and on the way out the aforementioned woman went SORRY TO INTERUPT YOU BY TRYING TO BUY SOMETHING.

This sort of thing (mainly the "if I can see someone inside, why are you closed?" thing) happens with some regularity, and it is always a white family. There are lots of absolutely delightful white customers too, and there are certainly rude/'bad' customers of all races and creeds. But the particular entitled lovely "what are posted hours? What do you mean you don't carry some incredibly obscure thing that makes no sense for you to carry? You want me to get on the R TRAIN just because I want an officially licensed high quality replica Master Chief mask? Uggggggggggh are you sure you don't have this thing somewhere in the back? Uh huh? Can you get your manager to check? You are the manager? Why don't you carry this thing? Well okay! Good luck with that!" customer all fall into a certain category.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

got any sevens posted:

Food quality and prices are fine at kroger, but they treat their employees like poo poo, as company policy. Like, they actually train managers to break labor laws
I've never been impressed with the selection at the ones I've visited out of state, but maybe Michigan just has unusually mediocre Krogers.

Also my favorite grocery store is both a union store and part of the Kroger buyout, so if nothing else the employees will start getting poo poo on soon. (Which means customer service will mysteriously start getting worse, because why would there be negative side effects to treating your employees like week-old dog turds?)

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Edge & Christian posted:

That store had a ridiculous problem with theft. In general, the more draconian the measures taken by chains to crack down on employees because of the assumption they were stealing, the more stealing took place

Posting to agree with this

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Edge & Christian posted:

Meanwhile, I worked briefly in the late 1990s at a Sam Goody where we still had to look up SKUs on microfiche, make special orders on carbon paper, weird limits were put on our employee discount, and they did poo poo like straight up patting every employee down when they clocked out/left the store. That store had a ridiculous problem with theft. In general, the more draconian the

Whoa can you talk more about the microfiche? How did that even work?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

In my experience working at big corporate retail across a bunch of different companies, there was a pretty direct correlation between "employee discount/employee treatment" and shrinkage. My understanding is that loss rates vary all over the place within chains, but the Barnes and Nobles I worked at were generally well run on a local level and the employee discount was solid (with quarterly weekends where you got an even bigger discount) and we did had a pretty good shrink rate.

Meanwhile, I worked briefly in the late 1990s at a Sam Goody where we still had to look up SKUs on microfiche, make special orders on carbon paper, weird limits were put on our employee discount, and they did poo poo like straight up patting every employee down when they clocked out/left the store. That store had a ridiculous problem with theft. In general, the more draconian the measures taken by chains to crack down on employees because of the assumption they were stealing, the more stealing took place.

Your employees are your first line against shrink. Once you treat them as enemies, they will rapidly become enemies, and there is no amount of diligence that will stop losses once the employees are actively working against you.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

If you work a lovely retail job and don't steal from your workplace, you're stealing from yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rated PG-34 posted:

If you work a lovely retail job and don't steal from your workplace, you're stealing from yourself.

I hooked up friends and family with my Walmart discount whenever they asked and if they could wait until I was off the clock before making the purchase. Saved my parents like $70 on a TV and a friend a bunch of money on a Wii and a few games.