Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Re: podcast network it's extremely viable and I don't think it's been picked up as much in the UK as the US (non-sports wise Lazer Time have a poo poo load of pods on the go).

I did smile at Barry's tale of him getting annihilated by angry fans on a radio phone in and his dad having to pull over while driving in case he crashed the car from laughing too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

eleven extra elephants posted:

Barry is a funny and good. Ramble is decent still tbh, can never decide if I like Pete or not

It's obvious Barry and Max are used to working together, they've been really good so far. I'm happy enough with the split as long as it means more Jonathan Wilson on FW. He's the most knowledgeable of all the regulars and is genuinely funny without coming across like he's trying too hard. Like others have said, I'm currently listening to too many pods and the new Jimbo one will probably be the one I drop.

Regarding Pete, I find that he and Luke are much more likable on their own (non football) Pod. Pete tried less hard to be "weird" and just comes across as nerdy, which makes him much better. As for Luke, he's good on The Ramble, but too often he seems like he wants to be a "serious pundit" when it doesn't seem to suit him or the show.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I did smile at Barry's tale of him getting annihilated by angry fans on a radio phone in and his dad having to pull over while driving in case he crashed the car from laughing too much.

That was great because it's typical of a lot of Irish football fans and people in general. There's a prevailing opinion amongst a lot of people here that everyone loves the Irish and can't stand any criticism of anything to do with the country. Just look at comments on any article calling Conor McGregor the oval office that he is.

It's especially funny because these are the same people who give out about English people "going on about 66" or a British sportsperson doing well anywhere when they haven't shut up about Ireland getting to the quarter finals almost 30 years ago without winning a game.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mickolution posted:

Regarding Pete, I find that he and Luke are much more likable on their own (non football) Pod. Pete tried less hard to be "weird" and just comes across as nerdy, which makes him much better. As for Luke, he's good on The Ramble, but too often he seems like he wants to be a "serious pundit" when it doesn't seem to suit him or the show.

Luke and Pete’s Summer was surprisingly good

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I thought it was funny how Max broke for an advert and then nothing came on. It nicely highlighted how little business sense they apparently have at Guardian FW. Also, Paul MacInness + Jacob Steinberg is like the depressed duo of hating fun. Painful to listen to on FW.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

webmeister posted:

I still wonder about the actual cause behind the split. Jimbo said a few times that they wanted to shake things up and try a few different things, but aside from doing that quiz or whatever in the first show it's been literally no different. Though of course it's probably about money
Clearly that's the root of it, Jimbo probably wants 30% gross of the advertising revenue, and they're likely paying a flat fee.

FWIW The Guardian is skint at the moment, has made a good few layoffs, and is probably not feeling generous.

There are very few real overheads for recording a podcast these days, and if especially you can edit it competently yourself, no reason the hosts shouldn't get the lions share of the money.

Biggest hassle is handling sponsors, which is the only bit that a podcast network is useful for imo.

Mandalay posted:

I thought it was funny how Max broke for an advert and then nothing came on. It nicely highlighted how little business sense they apparently have at Guardian FW. Also, Paul MacInness + Jacob Steinberg is like the depressed duo of hating fun. Painful to listen to on FW.

I noticed that Totally Football now have Gillette as a sponsor, who presumably may be able to pay a little better than Harry's...

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Isn't TFS Gillette, FWE Cornerstone and TFR Harry's?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mandalay posted:

I thought it was funny how Max broke for an advert and then nothing came on. It nicely highlighted how little business sense they apparently have at Guardian FW.

Aren't the ads served dynamically based on your location? Listening from Australia I never got ads in any football podcasts (I always wondered why subscribing to Acast Plus for ad-free Rambles was a good deal when I got that anyway :v:), but once I started listening in other countries I started getting ads. I'm in France at the moment and one of them had an ad in French this week.

I think this is also why the show first appears as 1 hour and 5 minutes or whatever, but when you actually hit play it drops to 56 minutes or so.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
FW gives me British ads, TFS give me targeted ads

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
From my viewpoint listening from California, TFS does a better job selling ads than FW.

Btw the Judas joke from last Thursday's TFS was great.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
TFS has been a let down, and I despise Macintosh with the power of a thousand suns. I see it getting dropped from my weekly rotation.

I enjoy Sunday Supplement on a Monday as long as the fat man isn't on it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I can't be hosed to add a 4th podcast that essentially says the same thing so I'm not even gonna bother with it cuz they all come out on the same day anyway. Interested in the new European show by the ramble because it's not on loving tuesday at least.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Had to turn off Totally Football. Cates making it clear she had no understand of the rules of the game when discussing Chalobah/Arter was the last straw. Abysmal show this week.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

britishbornandbread posted:

Had to turn off Totally Football. Cates making it clear she had no understand of the rules of the game when discussing Chalobah/Arter was the last straw. Abysmal show this week.
I haven't listened to it yet but lol you literally are Comic Book Guy aren't you?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

I watched an American stream of the Liverpool game when firminho handballed before a goal and the American guy said it's not a handball because he is better at controlling a ball with his foot than his hand therefore it would have been ridiculous for him to have done that intentionally

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Hoops posted:

I haven't listened to it yet but lol you literally are Comic Book Guy aren't you?

Eh?

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Got through the first half of on the continent before I got home and it sounds a lot like the European football show with Andy and James running the show with The ramble lads fighting to get a weak joke in. That said I think I like it.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

How does Luke compare when thrown in with pundits who do know what they're talking about?

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

How does Luke compare when thrown in with pundits who do know what they're talking about?

He seems a lil out of his depth.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I find Luke the most irritating of the Ramble lot but he's a lot more reserved in this, he seems to ask more questions instead of waiting for his turn to speak. I enjoyed it and think it has a place in the oversaturated podcast market, no Pete also makes the whole thing a lot calmer and less frantic to listen to

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
To be fair to Pete he had me laughing out loud at the end of the latest Ramble preview show.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

Luke and Pete’s Summer was surprisingly good

They read out my email this week and Pete called me a sicko :)

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Still doing major lols at that PSG fan who does the French football on The Totally Football Show

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Jimbo's German colonies joke. That was sharp.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Was it the most recent TFS with the director of football from Watford where he realises he just admitted that he taps up players all the time and so does every other club, and they all sort of brush past it and don't bring it up again.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yeah he said a few things that were a bit eyebrow raising as a current club employee to be honest. Obviously the pod is going to be ultra softball with those guests as they're trying to make 'proper football guests' their niche I think.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
loving hell the last four/five Gangs of the EPL have had me losing my poo poo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man I'm really digging this Jonathon Wilson: FW regular thing they got going on.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
For the last couple of football weeklies I just get that cloud with an arrow icon in itunes. Usually you can click that icon and it will download but nothing I do (right clicking and then select download, or download from the store page) works and it just sits there.

Any one else getting this?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jippa posted:

For the last couple of football weeklies I just get that cloud with an arrow icon in itunes. Usually you can click that icon and it will download but nothing I do (right clicking and then select download, or download from the store page) works and it just sits there.

Any one else getting this?

Works on my machine

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Really weird this is the only podcast this is happening with

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

algebra testes posted:

Man I'm really digging this Jonathon Wilson: FW regular thing they got going on.

Yeah, he's the right mix of knowledgeable, belligerent and funny without any of them seeming affected.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
While I miss Jimbo's cheerfulness, I still find FW much easier to listen too

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

julian assflange posted:

While I miss Jimbo's cheerfulness, I still find FW much easier to listen too

Yeah that's probably my feeling too.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'll give The Totally Football League show a go, however as I know gently caress all about the football league

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

julian assflange posted:

I'll give The Totally Football League show a go, however as I know gently caress all about the football league

I’m in the same boat.

Also, I found out Iain is really bad at Football Manager which is hilarious to me.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I find football weekly and the TFS sort of occupy the same ground quite a lot. TFS seems more hit and miss though, like that last episode with kelly cates stumbling through cliched points that didn't really go anywhere. Then a week or so back they had mark bosnich who was pretty interesting.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I wish Football Weekly could trade Steinberg and McInnes for Horncastle and Honigstein

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Jippa posted:

I find football weekly and the TFS sort of occupy the same ground quite a lot. TFS seems more hit and miss though, like that last episode with kelly cates stumbling through cliched points that didn't really go anywhere. Then a week or so back they had mark bosnich who was pretty interesting.

Better hit and miss guests than miss and miss (steinberg, mcinness). FW lacks ambition in guests.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

I do appreciate more Jonathan Wilson on FW lately, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That Football Weekly was so good.

That lady should be a regular.