Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

KickerOfMice posted:

Fixed.

e- I thought this was just because of the worship of the 1983 (certainly silly) fair time rule.

No, its just a dream to attack fox news by driving them through so many new hoops and other pains in the rear end that they either have to start the whole process over again where they're now some new made up legal term, which we can continue the process so long as a president is willing to gently caress them, or until the family that owns it just sticks to sports ball and movies. If Trump can just poo poo out whatever because the executive's power is just so broad we never thought we'd have to see where it could end, than why not do the same to the right?

And the beautiful thing about this is it isn't attacking journalism, just whatever explicit legal term fox tries to hide itself as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Ogmius815 posted:

Three and a half hours? Surly it isn't really that long.

Some personal estimation:

3.5 hours is 210 minutes. Reading a page out loud takes a person maybe 2 minutes, but an audio book might take longer since it's more dramatic and deliberate in delivery. So, let's say between 2 and 1/4 and 2 and 1/2 minutes. So, that would mean the speech would be between, my guess, 84 and 93 pages.

Incidentally I think the speech, fortuitously, is 60 pages which makes estimation the other way easier. In that case it should take between 2 1/4 and 2 and 1/2 hours.

So either way, 3 and 1/2 hours must mean that poo poo is read sloooooooow.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Socks4Hands posted:

👏 For👏twelve👏years,👏you👏have👏been👏asking:👏Who👏is👏John👏Galt?

As an ex-Objectivist... snnnnoooooore. The loving tedium of reading anything that sociopath wrote is enough to get me to board a train on its way into a tunnel full of gas leaks.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

alpha_destroy posted:

3.5 hours is 210 minutes. Reading a page out loud takes a person maybe 2 minutes, but an audio book might take longer since it's more dramatic and deliberate in delivery. So, let's say between 2 and 1/4 and 2 and 1/2 minutes. So, that would mean the speech would be between, my guess, 84 and 93 pages.

Incidentally I think the speech, fortuitously, is 60 pages which makes estimation the other way easier. In that case it should take between 2 1/4 and 2 and 1/2 hours.

If someone tied me to a chair and put this on I would find a way to will myself to death by the end of the first hour.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

empty whippet box posted:

If someone tied me to a chair and put this on I would find a way to will myself to death by the end of the first hour.

Oh me too. I've never even looked at the loving thing. gently caress that noise.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

There is a 50-page speech in the novel that is basically a sugar-coated, compressed version of her philosophy (Which, for anyone still confused about who she was, is that the poors are useless fucks who must all die. This is then demonstrated by incinerating poor people in a train tunnel fairly reminiscent of Auschwitz).

Violator
May 15, 2003

Paracaidas posted:

Clearly, this one landed.

Ah drat, I hosed up.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah it is. In the book they give the duration of the speech at three hours. It takes about that long to read it, and I could easily see it taking three hours at an actual speech. The speech repetitive and not that easy to follow, I can't imagine listening to it all in one setting.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Pembroke Fuse posted:

There is a 50-page speech in the novel that is basically a sugar-coated, compressed version of her philosophy (Which, for anyone still confused about who she was, is that the poors are useless fucks who must all die. This is then demonstrated by incinerating poor people in a train tunnel fairly reminiscent of Auschwitz).

Holy gently caress, are you serious? I've avoided this book (and Ayn Rand at all costs), but I cannot believe that a)Repubs cling to her given their hard on for Israel and b)Ayn Rand's history as a leech on social services. Honestly, how can you be drawn in by this boring dogmatic speech and still enjoy her after finding out her philosophy is a failure?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Hastings posted:

Holy gently caress, are you serious? I've avoided this book (and Ayn Rand at all costs), but I cannot believe that a)Repubs cling to her given their hard on for Israel and b)Ayn Rand's history as a leech on social services. Honestly, how can you be drawn in by this boring dogmatic speech and still enjoy her after finding out her philosophy is a failure?

It's the same forces that drive the alt-right and libertarianism.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

twice burned ice posted:

I'd never managed to get through more than a few pages of Atlas Shrugged, but my mother went through a several-year Rand fandom, so I felt I should make it through the book to be able to say with confidence that it's trash.

I picked up the audiobook and listened to it on my way to and from work.

This monologue lasted over 3 and a half hours. Those were the most excruciating commutes of my life.

gently caress Ayn Rand.

My favorite college memory is an Econ professor assigning Atlas Shrugged (with a test that was like 30% of the grade) and when we got there the TAs he had proctoring the test just gave us the answers.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hastings posted:

Its not a failed philosophy if you're rich enough to not have to deal with the consequences

Actually, I think being rich enoguh to avoid consequences is literally the entire point of the philosophy, and if you faced consequences, than you obviously weren't strong enough to get by

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Did anyone mentioned that the protag/whoever makes a perpetual motion machine.

Also the movies had to kickstart money and had to have The Speech.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Well..never underestimate the Dems' ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, of course. They tend to be so obsessed with being the "good guys" and trying to be honorable that they fall for Republican bad faith efforts nearly every time. I am encouraged by Pelosi outmaneuvering Trump, though.
In fact the Democrats are obsessed with being the capitalist party that wins votes based on the obvious superiority of capitalism, compared to the GOP who do the same but are also willing to shore up their wins with appeals to racism and whatever other bigotry it takes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PhazonLink posted:

That's like the least worst thing in the book.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hastings posted:

I'm not entirely sure why you think modern Republicans would not enjoy Ayn Rands stances on Israel: Ayn Rand called Palestinians "almost totally primitive savages who have not changed for years, who are racist and resent Israel because it is bringing industry, and intelligence, and modern technology- into their stagnation" and declared that America should "side against the savages" in the Middle East.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uHSv1asFvU

Also Ayn Rand was basically a closeted white supremacist. The following is an excerpt from a speech she gave to the 1974 graduating class of West Point.

quote:

Certainly slavery was a contradiction. But before you criticize this country, remember that that is a remnant of the politics and the philosophies of Europe and of the rest of the world. The black slaves were sold into slavery, in many cases, by other black tribes. Slavery is something which only the United States of America abolished. Historically, there was no such concept as the right of the individual. The United States is based on that concept. So that so as long as men held to the American political philosophy, they had to come to the point, even of a civil war, but of eliminating the contradiction with which they could not live—namely, the institution of slavery.

Incidentally, if you study history following America’s example, slavery or serfdom was abolished in the whole civilized world during the 19th century. What abolished it? Not altruism. Not any kind of collectivism. Capitalism. The world of free trade could not coexist with slave labor. And countries like Russia, which was the most backward and had serfs liberated them, without any pressure from anyone, by economic necessity. Nobody could compete with America economically so long as they attempted to use slave labor. Now that was the liberating influence of America.

That’s in regard to the slavery of Black people. But as to the example of the Japanese people—you mean the labor camps in California? Well, that was certainly not put over by any sort of defender of capitalism or Americanism. That was done by the left-wing progressive liberal Democrats of Franklin D. Roosevelt.

[Massive applause follows, along with a minute in which the moderator asks Ayn Rand to respond to the point about the genocide of Native Americans. She continues.]

If you study reliable history, and not liberal, racist newspapers, racism didn’t exist in this country until the liberals brought it up—racism in the sense of self-consciousness and separation about races. Yes, slavery existed as a very evil institution, and there certainly was prejudice against some minorities, including the Negroes after they were liberated. But those prejudices were dying out under the pressure of free economics, because racism, in the prejudicial sense, doesn’t pay. Then, if anyone wants to be a racist, he suffers, the workings of the system is against him.

Today, it is to everyone’s advantage to form some kind of ethnic collective. The people who share your viewpoint or from whose philosophy those catchphrases come, are the ones who are institutionalizing racism today. What about the quotas in employment? The quotas in education? And I hope to God—so I am not religious, but just to express my feeling—that the Supreme Court will rule against those quotas. But if you can understand the vicious contradiction and injustice of a state establishing racism by law. Whether it’s in favor of a minority or a majority doesn’t matter. It’s more offensive when it’s in the name of a minority because it can only be done in order to disarm and destroy the majority and the whole country. It can only create more racist divisions, and backlashes, and racist feelings.

If you are opposed to racism, you should support individualism. You cannot oppose racism on one hand and want collectivism on the other.

But now, as to the Indians, I don’t even care to discuss that kind of alleged complaints that they have against this country. I do believe with serious, scientific reasons the worst kind of movie that you have probably seen—worst from the Indian viewpoint—as to what they did to the white man.

I do not think that they have any right to live in a country merely because they were born here and acted and lived like savages. Americans didn’t conquer; Americans did not conquer that country.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Hastings posted:

Honestly I don't think very many people actually take the time to read the speech. The book it self is pretty easy to follow, It's mostly one of the heroes lecturing whichever strawman happens to be propped in front of him. The speech really just rehashes all that in one giant block. You could replace the entire speech with "John Galt spoke at length about his economic philosophy" and you wouldn't lose any of the narrative. You could slap "and the room broke out in applause" to the end of any of the smaller lectures and it would be indistinguishable from any other forwarded crap you see.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

PhazonLink posted:

Also the movies had to kickstart money and had to have The Speech.

One of the great ironies of life is the belief that shadowy corporations are hiding the secret to free energy while lionizing a character who does exactly that.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
There's really no point to reading the book anyway when the first 2/3 of Bioshock exists, and is much much quicker and interesting to get through.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

PhazonLink posted:

All you require to have a libertarian state is an engine that produces infinite energy at no cost.

How about we call that "step 1" and then have "disband the government" as "step 2"?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Dejawesp posted:

All you require to have a libertarian state is an engine that produces infinite energy at no cost.

How about we call that "step 1" and then have "disband the government" as "step 2"?

You also need a minecraft map - an infinite 2-d grid. Won't work on a sphere with limited land.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dejawesp posted:

I always find it fascinating that libertarians can be taken in to the idea of endless, eternal fuel for the capitalist engine (be it free energy or infinite raw resources), but the idea that human labor might ever be rendered obsolete by capitalistic industrial forces to a significant degree is considered absurdly unrealistic.

And by fascinating, I mean unrelentingly infuriating.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Of course idiots that think they are smart like the book. Its central point is "you are brilliant, everyone else is a drag on you and anyone that tells you otherwise is a worthless leech."

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

alpha_destroy posted:

Most audiobooks will be read at something like ~140 words per minute, varying to 160 with lots of small words and 120 with really dense stuff. Your average person will tend to speak around 160, smart people not trained in public speaking can speak upwards of 220+. You can take tests for reading speed online, but it's not uncommon to be able to quietly read at like 300.

My source is using audiobooks and podcasts as practice material for dictation in court reporting school.

Fun fact, Cecil from welcome to nightvale speaks at exactly 140 words per minute almost all the time, consistently. It's what makes him sometimes sound unnerving. Even if they do a skit and he gets excited or feigns physical exertion, he'll still deliver lines at 140. It's impressive as hell.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Guess who's back!

http://gizmodo.com/the-mooch-is-back-with-some-kind-of-internet-venture-b-1805648175

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Uglycat posted:

You also need a minecraft map - an infinite 2-d grid. Won't work on a sphere with limited land.

I like the part of the book where they just happen to discover a copper mine in their little valley. Otherwise the copper mining savant would look pretty ridiculous polishing shoes for tips so he could survive.

You know it's not a bad book to have read just for the sheer absurdity of it all.

Like when a steel mill is doing well so the government needs to demonstrate that it's doing bad so they can nationalize it. The US government sends the unions start a riot inside the steel mill but the non union workers fight the union workers to restore order in the mill. A loyal worker is shot in the chest by the union guys and thrown down a hill and left for dead. But he crawls up the hill so that he can spend his last breaths telling his employer what happened before dying in his arms.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

http://www.nbc29.com/story/36351919/black-lives-matter-group-covers-uva-jefferson-statue-lists-demands

I don't want to start another derail; God knows that's the last thing we need in here. But honestly? I tend to agree with BLM about the Lee statue. They were put there for intimidation during the Jim Crow era. I agree that it's odd that we're celebrating traitors over 150 years after the war ended. I agree that we shouldn't honor white slave owners of the 19th century.

But stunts like this are not winning them any converts. All it's doing is proving the point of those who were whining about slippery slopes and "extremists". It's one thing to question the honor and patriotism of someone like Lee. But someone as relatively unimpeachable as Jefferson is a step too far; even for me, and I'm definitely sympathetic to their cause. They're going to make a laughingstock of themselves and destroy whatever momentum that was gained.

Probably going to piss someone off by taking that stance, but if you're going to pick a fight like this, you have to be smart about it rather than playing into your opponents' hands.

Jefferson was a noted slave owner with a reputation for brutality who raped Sally Hemmings when she was just 14, and then kept her as a slave for life, and who's policy as president began a 100+ year era of brutal genocidal actions against Native peoples.

Jefferson was a piece of poo poo with a reputation that is far from "relatively unimpeachable". He was a piece of poo poo who no more deserves to be lionized than the garbage from the CSA.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
And thankfully, now that Trump has equated Washington with Lee, we already have the go ahead to hate them for the horrible things they did in life! A smart president, even a racist one, would probably pick Washington over Lee in terms of outward praise, but no, make the connection that they're both slave owners. Take down the iconary of founding fathers. Give us a reason to hate because you touched it, agent orange.

Would all of these Southern Heritage cry babies defend taking down New York's Boot Monument to Benedict Arnold? After all he's just like Lee in that he fought against the US!

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 13, 2017

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Trump is setting the stage for the New Founding Fathers and The Purge, mark my words.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

BigglesSWE posted:

Trump is setting the stage for the New Founding Fathers and The Purge, mark my words.

Well if they're going to carve his fat face into the side of a mountain then they better start clearing the rockies of forest because they're going to need ever inch of rock they can get.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

They sre selling tshirts

https://teespring.com/stores/tedandsexuallposts

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I really love how they caught the essence of his Droopy Dog face.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Who would actually wear these in public?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

There Bias Two posted:

Depends if they're around him and poking fun. Never underestimate just how tribal and tacky die hard partisan voters are.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/907920959046262784

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

There Bias Two posted:

You've never been to a death metal show before, have you?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

I would wear one at a townhall ran by cruz but literally that is it

Thankfully i live in WI so i don't have to see that clown-face-slime being in person ever

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

You've never been to a death metal show before, have you?

The font on that is farrrrrrrr to smooth for a death metal show, needs more spikes

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

CyberPingu posted:

The font on that is farrrrrrrr to smooth for a death metal show, needs more spikes

I'm just saying. "Who would wear that in public?" is a pretty big group.

Thrash revival band Municipal Waste has this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tbf he doesnt know they exist. Also he doesn't have any tokens of that flavor with him.

It's like the thing from earlier in the year when Donnie asked a black woman reporter to set up a meeting with The Black Congressional Caucus when she asked why he hasn't meet with them yet. For some reason Sleepy Ben, that lovely cop, and that black woman kept not setting up a meeting even though he asked a million times.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 13, 2017

• Locked thread