Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Having someone to take the heat off you while you desperately sip bonfire juice is very useful for the Fume Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
You've served me well Magic Mace+10, but I finally have the strength to swing the Aged Smelter Sword+5. :getin:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Well I've killed all the bosses in Dark Souls 2. The Burnt Ivory King was a cool fight and the tigers in the frozen waste were super frustrating to get to.

Not sure weather to move onto NG+ right away or try to grind Sunlight Medals.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
As long as you don't mind just keeping your gaming unit on, leave your sign at the King's Gate and you'll probably get all the medals you need in a day or so.
( :negative: )

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Bogart posted:

As long as you don't mind just keeping your gaming unit on, leave your sign at the King's Gate and you'll probably get all the medals you need in a day or so.
( :negative: )

I found the bonfire before the Burnt Ivory King to be a good spot so far.

Had a heartbreaking fight where we three summons killed the boss just as he killed the host.

Got the souls but not the medal.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
character update

martial onion

ready for kombat

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

That's a handsome souls adventurer :eyepop:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

:black101:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm thinking of running my bro through SOTFS on the PS4. Does anyone have experience with how hard is it to get summoning signs to show up reliably?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Kingfish posted:

I'm thinking of running my bro through SOTFS on the PS4. Does anyone have experience with how hard is it to get summoning signs to show up reliably?

There's that one ring you buy from the cat in Majula. Once you guys both pick the same "god" or whatever it was, you're pretty much guaranteed to see the others sign unless your soul memories are WILDLY different.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

The Kingfish posted:

Yes the ring and also get the small and large soapstones.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Went back to DS2 on the weekend after not playing for ages (stuck at Iron Keep, would you believe) and happily let Lucatiel take all of Smelter's agro while I pelted him with soul spears. Beat him in one :smuggo:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Went back to DS2 on the weekend after not playing for ages (stuck at Iron Keep, would you believe) and happily let Lucatiel take all of Smelter's agro while I pelted him with soul spears. Beat him in one :smuggo:

I kinda got discouraged in Iron Keep too, at some spot where right after the bonfire is a room with a bunch of tall knights who come out of doors. Haven't tried many times but the stretch to the next fire sucks.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I've beaten the main game but never played the DLC, got SOTFS now and I can't wait to see how Frozen Wastes could possibly be worse than Iron Keep, the worst area with the easiest boss.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wait until you find the other two zones worse than IK.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Guillermus posted:

Wait until you find the other two zones worse than IK.

No such thing. IK is either the worst or you already had a strike weapon so it didn't matter and neither did everything else because strike is OP.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

New Butt Order posted:

No such thing. IK is either the worst or you already had a strike weapon so it didn't matter and neither did everything else because strike is OP.

And yet the 2 best weapons in the game are thrust and slash, even there.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

For IK you just need a rapier (or Estoc) or a mace. That's it. No matter what build you run, either trust or strike gently caress all enemies in there.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I should resume my powerstanced-maces run. I paused to go play Bloodborne and finish DS3, but I still wanna come back to Scholar and play it including DLCs, which I've also never played before (I played DS2 vanilla on 360 but now I have Scholar on PS4).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you change up your build/weapons to get through an area in the game you're weak! You're supposed to bash your head against the wall with the exact same clearly-suboptimal-for-this-task setup that you've arbitrarily chosen to go through the game with!

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Amppelix posted:

If you change up your build/weapons to get through an area in the game you're weak! You're supposed to bash your head against the wall with the exact same clearly-suboptimal-for-this-task setup that you've arbitrarily chosen to go through the game with!

lol if you use weapons or a build when playing dark souls

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah I do SL1/fist only every time. Only way to play, GET GOOD SCRUBS

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Amppelix posted:

I choose to believe that there is no such thing as suboptimal in a Souls game. I do not care if it is true, it is what I choose to believe.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I play online and hope for an invader to come so I can pop a Seed of Giants and have them fight the enemy for me.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Just went back to my powerstanced maces run today and absolutely annihilated Flexile Sentry, Belfry Gargoyles, and Lost Sinner all on the first try. This build is preposterous and so loving fun

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Today I was doing Earthen Peak and legitimately forgot about Covetous Demon, so I bumbled through the fog wall with no Estus and 1 lifegem left. Easy peasy, didn't have to heal at all. What a boss.

(I actually like the boss but he's definitely super easy)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm going back to DS2 because I had a character halfway through the game going and completely forgot what plans I had for it...I killed a bunch of NPCs to get their stuff early, I guess, but then I didn't use that but instead got a Great Lance +10. Which is absurdly good but boring. I also called it "Durchschnitt" which is German for "average" but also "cut-through" so great pun, me; all stats were about equal, 22 22 in STR/DEX and 18/18 in Int/Fth. So I guess I can just use...whatever, and that was, indeed, the plan.

I had to pay souls to get Pate back to get the Soapstone. Past me was dumb.

I figure I might as well use this guy to try and get all Achievements...AGAIN (got them for Vanilla, but not SotfS), and a few other things I never did. Fortunately, I see that I had done the playthrough so far in challenge mode and already amassed 20-something Awestones (without grinding!). Just to give me even more indecision, I'm now up to 41 with a little help from my good friend Rhoy.

Still a little wibbly wobbly about what to do. I'd love to try the Forlorn gear, and I do have two items already available to buy so that's nice, with one caveat: I tried to get the fuckers to invade me a whole bunch but it simply never triggered. Does anyone have experience with farming them? I sadly don't know which one already invaded me apart from the guaranteed one in the Copse, but I tried running through Tseldora in circles (Ornifex and the bridge) as well as the fog area in Shaded Woods, which I googled as common invasion spots, but no dice. Any tips?

Also, if anyone has cool ideas for builds where you'd basically need all stats, but you always go "ah drat but that'd require lots of grinding and poo poo...", hit me with it and I might give it a try! No Roaring Halberd, though, I hate Halberds. Also, I did already take it for a spin or three (get it) in the past and it still left me wanting for something that always hits for the same damage, ya know...

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Fists, you coward

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Powerstanced bone fists infused with elements. Powerstanced mundane weapons? I seem to recall using powerstanced mundane daggers and having them turn out okay.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you're going mundane, don't forget your mundane avelyns (one in each hand)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captainicus posted:

Powerstanced bone fists infused with elements. Powerstanced mundane weapons? I seem to recall using powerstanced mundane daggers and having them turn out okay.

Infusing bone fists is a really bad idea, because their base damage is extremely low. Even mundane won't work well, because you'll lose Flynn's Ring bonuses.

Certain weapons' mundane damage got a big nerf at some point, including daggers, so it's possible you may have been using that build before the nerf.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bogart posted:

Fists, you coward
This will absolutely happen at some point during this playthrough, but OPTIONS, man! I still need to know how Forlorn work, the Wikis are all hilariously unreliable and self-contradicting...

Captainicus posted:

Already did the bone fists and it was :krad:. Daggers could be fun, though I was under the impression that Mundane everything got nerfed, not just certain weapons...

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Getting the Forlorn to invade is a pain in the butt. They spawn when you reach certain locations in a level, but only sometimes. If they don't show up, you need to rest at a bonfire and try again. The base chance seems to be very low.

My personal experience has been that they show up much, much more frequently if you've died and have unclaimed souls lying around somewhere. I don't know if it's just confirmation bias, but I've often gone through an area a ton of times without the Forlorn showing up, but the moment that I've died and have to go retrieve my souls: BAM! there they are.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

Infusing bone fists is a really bad idea, because their base damage is extremely low. Even mundane won't work well, because you'll lose Flynn's Ring bonuses.

Certain weapons' mundane damage got a big nerf at some point, including daggers, so it's possible you may have been using that build before the nerf.

I was under the impression elemental bone fists were ok because the scaling was very good, from what I can tell, the element bonus you get is much higher than the base damage and also comes with S scaling. I haven't actually tried it, personally, to see if it pulls ahead against enemy resistances.

Normal +5 bone fists - 20 damage / S str scaling / A dex scaling
Magic, fire, dark or lightning - 12 damage / 69 elemental damage / B str scaling / C dex scaling / S magic, dark, fire, or lightning scaling

I've got no idea about mundane scaling on certain weapons, it was ages ago that I played the mundane daggers, before sotfs, so they could very well be weak now.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Soul Reaver posted:

Getting the Forlorn to invade is a pain in the butt. They spawn when you reach certain locations in a level, but only sometimes. If they don't show up, you need to rest at a bonfire and try again. The base chance seems to be very low.

My personal experience has been that they show up much, much more frequently if you've died and have unclaimed souls lying around somewhere. I don't know if it's just confirmation bias, but I've often gone through an area a ton of times without the Forlorn showing up, but the moment that I've died and have to go retrieve my souls: BAM! there they are.

Really? I'm going through Scholar for the first time and that fucker never fails to invade me.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Soul Reaver posted:

I read this from another source entirely, so I'm willing to try it even though it does sound like playground rumors ;).

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Really? I'm going through Scholar for the first time and that fucker never fails to invade me.
I've had plenty of total Forlorn invasions during my playthroughs, but never enough in a single one to get their weapons. This time they're especially bad about showing up, though I also seemed to have been waffling about doing various odds and ends previously on this playthrough; I think I only have The Rotten beaten of the big four, and I always do that one first. When I loaded up the character I was standing in The Gutter, surrounded by burning torches, but absolutely sure that there was juuuust one missing, haha...

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

How many Forlorns do you have to kill to get the gear? I think I must've done 4.

Also, how often do y'all get to do PVP with the rat covenant? I got to invade a shitload as a Bellbro but I switched to the rats and didn't get any invades the whole time I was hanging out in Doors of Pharros yesterday :(

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.
Noob DS2 player after 1,000+h of DS3, and I cannot believe how many chests I 'tested' for mimicry without realising they didn't initially contain rubbish ...

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

kilinrax posted:

Noob DS2 player after 1,000+h of DS3, and I cannot believe how many chests I 'tested' for mimicry without realising they didn't initially contain rubbish ...

:thumbsup:

Happily, most of the good stuff - equipment, spells and so on - is found in iron chests, which are unbreakable. You haven't screwed yourself out of any build-enabling pieces of gear.

One Hundred Monkeys fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

How many Forlorns do you have to kill to get the gear? I think I must've done 4.

Also, how often do y'all get to do PVP with the rat covenant? I got to invade a shitload as a Bellbro but I switched to the rats and didn't get any invades the whole time I was hanging out in Doors of Pharros yesterday :(
You have to kill 4 to get all armor pieces, then if the Wiki info is correct kill another one with a Scythe to get the Scythe and the same for the Greatsword, so 6 in total for everything (if the last two cooperate, which I'm not looking forward to making happen...).

Rat stuff is heavily dependent on soul memory, I'd wager; I usually, if I want to do it, go into the first area with a newish character, having just done enough progression to get the souls for the Cat Ring, that gives me enough hits of players just going through the area normally on their way to the Gutter. Pharros I rarely do, but I guess it's also best to do is asap to catch people who're just there for the items.