Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Joe, I'm impressed. Stuff like this is why I can't hate Rogan, even if I think he's dumb.

It doesn't matter because he's just gonna do the same thing again and again over and over. Duder doesn't make any attempt to better himself so the whole "I'm just an idiot" act is more malicious than honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It doesn't matter because he's just gonna do the same thing again and again over and over. Duder doesn't make any attempt to better himself so the whole "I'm just an idiot" act is more malicious than honest.

the getting offended on purpose megathread

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Joe Rogan pretends to be an idiot but he's actually playing four-dimensional chess and his endgame is making fun of various war dances

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i too like to listen to uneducated stoners ramble on about nonsense because i never went through this phase back in my youth and it sounds like an exciting and dare i say "ironic" thing to do

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

little munchkin posted:

Joe Rogan pretends to be an idiot but he's actually playing four-dimensional chess and his endgame is making fun of various war dances

Nah I'm not saying he is pretending to be an idiot, I'm saying repeatedly saying hosed up poo poo because of your idiocy and never really educating yourself is not demonstrably better or all that different from just being an rear end in a top hat which is why I don't give dudes like Rogan a pass.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT9e5Fw9Wi0

Contra debated Sargon. It was surprisingly civil and without any real WTF-level idiocy bombshells being dropped, which is weird considering its Sargon. Its cool that Contra's willing to throw herself out there like this.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Archer666 posted:

Contra debated Sargon. It was surprisingly civil and without any real WTF-level idiocy bombshells being dropped, which is weird considering its Sargon. Its cool that Contra's willing to throw herself out there like this.

contra has the patience of a saint for doing this stuff. sargon bringing out his 'black families' argument again though zzzzzzz

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Who What Now posted:

People keep saying he's satirical. What exactly is he satirising?
Hes pretends to be racist! All of his questionable comments are actually just ironic in an attempt to trigger a news media that only provides fake news!

Thats pretty much what it boils down to.

To be honest, the weirdest thing for me out of all of this are the people who think that sitting around recording yourself playing video games all day is a noble, hardworking job.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gorn Myson posted:

The weirdest thing for me out of all of this are the people who think that sitting around recording yourself playing video games all day is a noble, hardworking job.

"Noble" is goofy sounding but if someone does well for themselves streaming or doing LPs or whatever, should they stop and work something miserable instead? I mean even on the point of "hardworking", if you're not DSP level, recording a screen with a camcorder and making GBS threads unedited footage out onto youtube, you've probably put money and effort into setting up and testing around with better equipment, you've learned or are learning to edit videos properly, making sure the sound is actually nice to listen to and is leveled right, like you're not digging ditches but constantly recording, editing, coming up with worthwhile commentary or at least cultivating some kind of likable shtick, all of that isn't effortless either. And no this isn't a defense of the dumb turds that act like it's actually the hardest job in the world or anything.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Lovechop posted:

contra has the patience of a saint for doing this stuff. sargon bringing out his 'black families' argument again though zzzzzzz

Destiny spent 3 hours explaining that poo poo to him, and he comes back with the same simplistic, dumbass argument that Black people need to be married more.

It's almost as if Sargon's not arguing in good faith. :monocle:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Also, too.

One particular bone I have to pick with Contra is that she didn't have a rebuttal to Sargon's dumbass accusation that the left just wants to give poor people money when they actually want jobs. Motherfucker, we DO offer that! We're the ones that came up with the New Deal and got us out of the Depression. We're the ones who created 20 million more jobs under our administrations than Republican ones. Obama's stimulus was the biggest jobs program in history.

In fairness, it's not just Contra, but almost no one on the mainstream left points this poo poo out. Usually when confronted by such an accusation, they settle for appealing to compassion and such, when you can make a much better and more effective argument. It drives me crazy!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

"Noble" is goofy sounding but if someone does well for themselves streaming or doing LPs or whatever, should they stop and work something miserable instead? I mean even on the point of "hardworking", if you're not DSP level, recording a screen with a camcorder and making GBS threads unedited footage out onto youtube, you've probably put money and effort into setting up and testing around with better equipment, you've learned or are learning to edit videos properly, making sure the sound is actually nice to listen to and is leveled right, like you're not digging ditches but constantly recording, editing, coming up with worthwhile commentary or at least cultivating some kind of likable shtick, all of that isn't effortless either. And no this isn't a defense of the dumb turds that act like it's actually the hardest job in the world or anything.
Well thats good, because its those dumb turds that I was attacking in the first place.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I haven't watched it yet, but did he offer any insight into why black people aren't married more?

Because there's only three directions you can go in with that:

1) I'm a huge racist who thinks that they're just biologically incapable
2) I'm a not racist butt who thinks that it's 'Black Culture' to blame, but refuses to examine that further
3) Hmm, maybe there are some systemic and economic issues at play here which would be a good place to start digging

(There's a fourth of "NWO Jews are keeping the black family apart to race mix the cultural marxist agenda" but yeah, no. That's what happens with #3 when you start digging at 'it couldn't possibly be my fault' and keep avoiding critical thought.)

I'm guessing with Carlgon it's either #2 or he just refuses to think at all, they just need to get married more, that's all.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Guavanaut posted:

I haven't watched it yet, but did he offer any insight into why black people aren't married more?

2) I'm a not racist butt who thinks that it's 'Black Culture' to blame, but refuses to examine that further
3) Hmm, maybe there are some systemic and economic issues at play here which would be a good place to start digging

(There's a fourth of "NWO Jews are keeping the black family apart to race mix the cultural marxist agenda" but yeah, no. That's what happens with #3 when you start digging at 'it couldn't possibly be my fault' and keep avoiding critical thought.)

I'm guessing with Carlgon it's either #2 or he just refuses to think at all, they just need to get married more, that's all.

This is literally the same anti-intellectual approach they take to examining the pay gap. They hear, 'when you control for all variables the gap is really just a cent or two! The pay gap is because of choice!'' and figure that's the end of the discussion, rather than the beginning of several more. Like, 'why do women tend to enter lower paying careers?', 'Is women's work undervalued?', 'Are cultural expectations of motherhood impeding upward mobility of professional women?', etc. The completely miss the fact the conversation will eventually boil down to 'I believe these differences are innate//biological, and can't be changed', or 'I believe these differences are malleable/cultural, and can be changed' if pressed hard enough.

More than anything else these idiots do, this proves calling these folks 'intellectuals' is a complete misnomer. It's the sociological equivalent of a scientists saying, 'Oh, matter is made of atoms, that answers everything!' and never asking, 'What are atoms made of? What are their properties?'

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, it's no. 2. He stops just short of implying that Black people are naturally pre-disposed to having children out of wedlock.

And can I once again point out just how facile this dipshit's "'arguments" are? I mean, they're nowhere close to being arguments, but rather statements that people should just blindly accept. He literally says that the solution to black poverty is for black people to get married more. I'm not exaggerating when I say he offers absolutely nothing beyond that. Meanwhile, Contra points out historical, social, political and economic reasons for why such problems exist, but no, Sargon's the "intellectual".

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gorn Myson posted:

Well thats good, because its those dumb turds that I was attacking in the first place.

Ah I kind of figured, there's always a bunch of people who jump out of the woodwork to go "NOT A REAL JOB" about that kind of stuff so was just covering bases. :v:

Mr Interweb posted:

I mean, they're nowhere close to being arguments, but rather statements that people should just blindly accept.

Welcome to the "skepticism" of today.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 13, 2017

Sphairon
May 5, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A LIBERTARIAN PIECE OF SHIT AND TONGUING RON PAUL'S BIGOTED ASSHOLE WHILE HE BEATS A GAY COUPLE TO DEATH WITH A GOLDEN DILDO AND JERKS OFF TO A PICTURE OF THE CONFEDERATE RAG WHILE WATCHING ATLAS SHRUGGED IN 3D
I wish Contra had pushed harder on the redlining/housing discrimination angle. Historically, a major part of the transition from poverty to middle class status in the developed world has hinged on the acquisition of real estate, and a lot of middle class whites in 2017 are still financially drawing on housing investments made in the 60s and 70s.

Meanwhile, black people in the 60s and 70s had to fight for legal action against restrictive covenant laws and loan discrimination that made it virtually impossible for them to join in on this "middle class train", while being further stymied by predatory landlords who extracted so much rent from them that other forms of capital buildup were also out of reach. By the time this situation had somewhat improved, the easy housing market of the post-war era had already disappeared and outright racial discrimination had been replaced by disproportionately impactful financial discrimination.

When Sargon casually sits there and says yeah, going middle class is hard, just gotta deal with it, it's such a disgusting display of privilege and willful ignorance. The whole point of the argument is that it's that much harder for some groups for specific historical reasons, and that they deserve additional support for precisely this reason. Sargon calls this "racism". What a dipshit.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Sphairon posted:

I wish Contra had pushed harder on the redlining/housing discrimination angle. Historically, a major part of the transition from poverty to middle class status in the developed world has hinged on the acquisition of real estate, and a lot of middle class whites in 2017 are still financially drawing on housing investments made in the 60s and 70s.

contra actually has an incredibly good video about baltimore that ends up going into a lot of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r6GBo_7UNc

essential watch

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Don't forget the fact that the GI Bill, one of the biggest contributors to upward mobility and homeownership, was routinely denied to Black people.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Where can I see the video? I can't find it in either youtube channel. Probably behind some temporary Patreon wall?

Also isn't a big part of Contra's opinion that you shouldn't debate nazis/the alt-right. Seems counterproductive...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gorn Myson posted:

To be honest, the weirdest thing for me out of all of this are the people who think that sitting around recording yourself playing video games all day is a noble, hardworking job.

Uh, this is like saying being a voice actor isn't a real job because all you do is read a script all day.

The internet, technology, etc, has changed the means of production. If it makes you a living, it is respectable, sometimes even if it doesn't! But if it does, awesome.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Work isnt even inherently noble or virtuous.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
WHY WONT THOSE BLACKS JUST GET MARRIED

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/sep/13/median-wealth-of-black-americans-will-fall-to-zero-by-2053-warns-new-report

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Markovnikov posted:

Where can I see the video? I can't find it in either youtube channel. Probably behind some temporary Patreon wall?

Also isn't a big part of Contra's opinion that you shouldn't debate nazis/the alt-right. Seems counterproductive...

Sargon is more alt-lite than alt-right. Like as mentioned above, he's more likely to blame black culture than claim blacks are biologically inferior to whites.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Work isnt even inherently noble or virtuous.

Eh.

I can see an argument to be made that people should always be doing something they feel to be productive; where the problem lies is tying that productivity to being able to live and introducing subjective and varying degrees of compensation.

Take the capitalism out of work basically.

If I spend all my day painting, I feel like there's virtue in being productive, in fact I think that is one of the 7 virtues diligence.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
painting or other artistic pursuits, even when done badly, are far more productive than streaming. unless you are very charming or have some weird gimmick you're just filming yourself talking while consuming someone else's creation. the value you're adding is your speech, and most people who want to make it big as an entertainer grossly overestimate how entertaining they are

like imagine this, but even more awkward and boring. if people want to do this, fine, go nuts, but they definitely should't feel like it entitles them to a paycheck or any respect unless they hit that magic combination that draws some kind of audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IukTiqAqVBM

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think that is one of the 7 virtues diligence.

Chastity alas does not seem to improve internet neckbeards.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fallenturtle posted:

Sargon is more alt-lite than alt-right. Like as mentioned above, he's more likely to blame black culture than claim blacks are biologically inferior to whites.

those arguments are nearly identical.

boner confessor posted:

painting or other artistic pursuits, even when done badly, are far more productive than streaming. unless you are very charming or have some weird gimmick you're just filming yourself talking while consuming someone else's creation. the value you're adding is your speech, and most people who want to make it big as an entertainer grossly overestimate how entertaining they are

like imagine this, but even more awkward and boring. if people want to do this, fine, go nuts, but they definitely should't feel like it entitles them to a paycheck or any respect unless they hit that magic combination that draws some kind of audience

reportoftheweek is the best channel on youtube and it's criminal he doesn't do pewdiepie numbers. maybe if he screamed "RAPE" randomly a few times in there.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
He is too pure like the drinking water being reviewed. Can't get big numbers without doing something like changing the rating scale to feminism (bad) all the way to Milo's hair (excellent).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

those arguments are nearly identical.
Nah, one is "why don't they just change their culture? I'm certainly not subject to cultural influences. If I was a 12 year old black boy in Baltimore I'd..." and the other involves 'peaceful ethnic cleansing' and camps.

They're both terrible and racist and dumb as poo poo, but one is passively terrible and the other actively terrible.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If anyone here makes fun of reportoftheweek I'll call antifa and have you assaulted

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

fallenturtle posted:

The thing about blaming "black culture" is that it's ultimately the exact same thing as claiming either biological inferiority or that things are a result of systemic/structural issues. Like, if they're behaving differently there's gotta be some reason for that. Since they deny the latter, that only leaves the former.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's only if you have the intellectual curiosity to push it that far. Carl seems to get to "I don't care why" remarkably quickly.

You could also claim that both positive and negative cultural phenomena can arise spontaneously among groups, which they can, but for that to be explanatory on its own you'd have to explain why "black people have bad memes."

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

boner confessor posted:

This doesn't make sense. Some people are bad at their jobs? At a minimum you playing the game means someone else doesn't have to. I watched people play Halo 4 because I don't have an Xbox.

Streaming is not inherently less productive than painting because both leave in their respective mediums a lasting presence.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Raenir Salazar posted:

Eh.

I can see an argument to be made that people should always be doing something they feel to be productive; where the problem lies is tying that productivity to being able to live and introducing subjective and varying degrees of compensation.

Take the capitalism out of work basically.

If I spend all my day painting, I feel like there's virtue in being productive, in fact I think that is one of the 7 virtues diligence.

Productivity, self-improvement and personal goal seeking aren't work. and I do not mean that pejoratively in any sense of the word.
Work is labor done for a wage is what I'm saying.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Raenir Salazar posted:

This doesn't make sense. Some people are bad at their jobs? At a minimum you playing the game means someone else doesn't have to. I watched people play Halo 4 because I don't have an Xbox.

Streaming is not inherently less productive than painting because both leave in their respective mediums a lasting presence.

i'm saying it's not really a job except in rare circumstances, at best it's a hobby you can monetize to a small degree

like i could collect cans on the side of the road and turn them in for scrap value but i dunno if i would describe that as a job. a better term would be "hustle" or "scheme"

there are tons of nerdlingers out there who "collect" comic books and may even have podcasts about them, how many actually engage in brokerage or opening a store or doing real work involving real risk or a formal arrangement of selling labor for cash?

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 13, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boner confessor posted:

like i could collect cans on the side of the road and turn them in for scrap value but i dunno if i would describe that as a job. a better term would be "hustle" or "scheme"

Uh, I mean, that sounds like a pretty valuable job, people get paid to do that in some parts of the world and it's important work...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Uh, I mean, that sounds like a pretty valuable job, people get paid to do that in some parts of the world and it's important work...

:shrug: where i live they make prisoners do it because the amount of money you make isn't worth it unless you're desperate and can't find better employment

i'm sure there are exceptions like trash pickers in the phillipines but let's not try to compare third world desperation to people who want to get paid to play video games in their bedrooms

hey this is my new job, i'm a uhhhh sex streamer. i have sex with people and stream it and talk about politics and the weather while i'm having sex. this is my job now please respect me as a content creator

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

We can call it a job, but it's most likely not a career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

boner confessor posted:

hey this is my new job, i'm a uhhhh sex streamer. i have sex with people and stream it
That's a pretty profitable industry.

• Locked thread