Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

rgocs posted:

I like quiche, but I find quiche usually looks like it would taste better than it does.

Make more quiche lorraine. I do mine with farmer's cheese, chopped crisp applewood-smoke bacon, and green onions. It's awesome, but you need to take some care to get air incorporated or it can get a bit dense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Make more quiche lorraine. I do mine with farmer's cheese, chopped crisp applewood-smoke bacon, and green onions. It's awesome, but you need to take some care to get air incorporated or it can get a bit dense.
I have to admit I have never made a quiche. My wife takes care of anything that has pastry involved. She does a mean gorgonzola tarte, and I like her quiche lorraine (though it could use a bit more salt :ssh:). I'll try to make one myself one of these days.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Quiche is supposed to be a little dense... if you use leavening to make it light and fluffy, then it's a souffle.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone have a non-bake macaroni & cheese sort of recipe they like? Kinda want something kinda creamy/saucy.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Anyone have a non-bake macaroni & cheese sort of recipe they like? Kinda want something kinda creamy/saucy.

I thought the Serious Eats stovetop mac & cheese was pretty good, definitely use at least a sharp cheddar if not extra sharp. I used medium cheddar once and the flavor wasn't quite strong enough.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Looks interesting, might give it a shot tonight - It mentions Jacks or other hot sauce - I've got sriracha and tabasco, any thoughts on which would be better for this?

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
Either would be good, but Tabasco is closer to Frank's than cock sauce.

Edit: I can also vouch for that recipe, though I prefer this variation: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/bacon-jalapeno-stovetop-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe.html

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Oxyclean posted:

Looks interesting, might give it a shot tonight - It mentions Jacks or other hot sauce - I've got sriracha and tabasco, any thoughts on which would be better for this?

They also have a later, 3 ingredient macaroni & cheese: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/3-ingredient-stovetop-mac-and-cheese-recipe.html

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I like to buy chicken thighs in bulk because they're cheap as hell. When I get home I separate them to be vacuum sealed in groups of 4-6 and then freeze it all. Throughout the month I'll pull a bag out and stick it straight in to my sous vide bucket, then in a few hours they're done and I pat them dry before giving a finishing sear on my cast iron.

What is the best point in this process to season them? I'm looking to squeeze more flavor out without sacrificing the convenience of cooking straight from the freezer.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Teeter posted:

I like to buy chicken thighs in bulk because they're cheap as hell. When I get home I separate them to be vacuum sealed in groups of 4-6 and then freeze it all. Throughout the month I'll pull a bag out and stick it straight in to my sous vide bucket, then in a few hours they're done and I pat them dry before giving a finishing sear on my cast iron.

What is the best point in this process to season them? I'm looking to squeeze more flavor out without sacrificing the convenience of cooking straight from the freezer.

I do basically the same thing and I at least salt before I bag. You can also toss some fresh herbs into the bag before freezing, which fits well with bulk-buying/easy weekday prep. They'll flavor both the chicken and the juice, the latter of which is nice if your last step is to make a quick pan sauce.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Teeter posted:

How long does it take from frozen to ready to sear? Is it a put in the morning come home to dinner ready thing?

rgocs fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 12, 2017

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
Not counting time to heat up your SV bath, maybe 90 minutes or so? You can also leave them in longer (think on the order of 3-4 hours total), but I'm not sure that chicken does well with 8+ hour cooks.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'd be hesitant to leave chicken in the puddle all day, would worry it might get mushy. If you want to be able to get home, sear, eat, I'd put it in the bath for a couple hours over the weekend, chill and fridge (still in the bag), then sear that when I got home.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
I just spatchcocked a 3.5lb fryer and i made a garlic/sage/rosemary butter which i shoved under the skin and spread everywhere. I had some leftover butter so I smeared it all over the outside of the bird too. Have not yet S&P'ed/seasoned the bird. Will this butter on the outside smoke or turn to poo poo if I roast at 425F?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

dolicf posted:

Either would be good, but Tabasco is closer to Frank's than cock sauce.

Edit: I can also vouch for that recipe, though I prefer this variation: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/bacon-jalapeno-stovetop-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe.html

This came out pretty good - ended up subbing the macaroni for a more fun pasta which might have been a mistake because it was a bit bulky.

The cook pasta from cold was a bit odd/new to me - although going over there description again it sounds like this wasn't necessary? And with the pickled jalapenos, I wasn't super sure what to look for in my grocery store - I found some old el paso stuff that came in a little can and used it straight since there wasn't really any liquid to drain, just kinda goo?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Would ranch go well with normal sushi rolls?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I'm catching up on Huang's World, and the episode I'm watching is him in South Korea. Eddie and his local fixer sit down to eat at a market and what they have is a Korean equivalent of pasta alfredo, but they never say what the dish is called. All I know is it's made from anchovy, perilla powder, nori, and green onion. It sounds super interesting to me, but if I don't know what it's called, I can't exactly look up a recipe. The scene is at the 9:37 mark (I forgot how to time stamp YouTube videos. Sorry) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qCmh3HRp1E

Anyone have a name for that dish? Better yet, a tried and true recipe?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Leviathan posted:

I just spatchcocked a 3.5lb fryer and i made a garlic/sage/rosemary butter which i shoved under the skin and spread everywhere. I had some leftover butter so I smeared it all over the outside of the bird too. Have not yet S&P'ed/seasoned the bird. Will this butter on the outside smoke or turn to poo poo if I roast at 425F?

No that's fine.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

This came out pretty good - ended up subbing the macaroni for a more fun pasta which might have been a mistake because it was a bit bulky.

The cook pasta from cold was a bit odd/new to me - although going over there description again it sounds like this wasn't necessary? And with the pickled jalapenos, I wasn't super sure what to look for in my grocery store - I found some old el paso stuff that came in a little can and used it straight since there wasn't really any liquid to drain, just kinda goo?

IIRC, the pasta thing is just that you don't have to do the traditional bring a poo poo load of water to a boil type thing.

Usually with pickled jalepenos, you're looking for a jar rather than a can. Something like this:

What you found is good though, you just don't have as much brine (and they're usually way mushier as you found out).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Would ranch go well with normal sushi rolls?

In my opinion, the rice/fish/seaweed wouldn't go very well with the typical ranch taste. I'm not sure if I'd ever really use sauce on sushi anyway - except some soy sauce if appropriate.

But hey, you can always put a squirt on one and see how it tastes!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Eeyo posted:

In my opinion, the rice/fish/seaweed wouldn't go very well with the typical ranch taste. I'm not sure if I'd ever really use sauce on sushi anyway - except some soy sauce if appropriate.

But hey, you can always put a squirt on one and see how it tastes!

I dunno, ranch might be good with unagi.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Eat This Glob posted:

I'm catching up on Huang's World, and the episode I'm watching is him in South Korea. Eddie and his local fixer sit down to eat at a market and what they have is a Korean equivalent of pasta alfredo, but they never say what the dish is called. All I know is it's made from anchovy, perilla powder, nori, and green onion. It sounds super interesting to me, but if I don't know what it's called, I can't exactly look up a recipe. The scene is at the 9:37 mark (I forgot how to time stamp YouTube videos. Sorry) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qCmh3HRp1E

Anyone have a name for that dish? Better yet, a tried and true recipe?

For future reference it's #t=XXhXXmXXs appended to the url

From the description and look it seems to be deulkkae kalgooksu with handmade noodles (수타 들깨 칼국수, with 수타 meaning the noodles are handmade, 들깨 for the perilla powder that goes into the broth, and 칼국수, or knife-cut noodles, as the base dish) though alfredo is one of the farthest things in the world I would pick to describe it

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

AnonSpore posted:

For future reference it's #t=XXhXXmXXs appended to the url

From the description and look it seems to be deulkkae kalgooksu with handmade noodles (수타 들깨 칼국수, with 수타 meaning the noodles are handmade, 들깨 for the perilla powder that goes into the broth, and 칼국수, or knife-cut noodles, as the base dish) though alfredo is one of the farthest things in the world I would pick to describe it

Thank you!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I love Lebanese style pickled turnips.

Reading the label, they seem pretty simple... nothing to stop me from just pickling some turnips myself, is there?
Should I use any spices, or just salt and vinegar? They have kind of a funky smell, but I assume that's just the turnips.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Every recipe I've seen always includes beets, and many include hot chili peppers.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm halfassing some indian butter chicken/tikka masala esque thing.

I threw some chicken into a bag with some plain yoghurt, some garam masala, some curry powder, etc. Fridged it overnight.

Sauteed some onions in olive oil with some spices.

Threw everything together in a slow cooker with some tomato paste and some sour cream. Tasted before adding the chicken, and it tastes... ok... but very strong tomato flavour, quite sweet. Added some salt, but still pretty strong. Any suggestions? Will it just mellow out as it cooks?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Annath posted:

I'm halfassing some indian butter chicken/tikka masala esque thing.

I threw some chicken into a bag with some plain yoghurt, some garam masala, some curry powder, etc. Fridged it overnight.

Sauteed some onions in olive oil with some spices.

Threw everything together in a slow cooker with some tomato paste and some sour cream. Tasted before adding the chicken, and it tastes... ok... but very strong tomato flavour, quite sweet. Added some salt, but still pretty strong. Any suggestions? Will it just mellow out as it cooks?

Curry needs time to get really good, if I can I make the curry a day ahead because it gets much better the next day.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Curry needs time to get really good, if I can I make the curry a day ahead because it gets much better the next day.

I got nothin' but time, so I'll let it slow cook for 12 hours or so.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Annath posted:

I got nothin' but time, so I'll let it slow cook for 12 hours or so.

There's no need to overcook the chicken like that. You can just let the flavors meld in the fridge.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Sir Kodiak posted:

There's no need to overcook the chicken like that. You can just let the flavors meld in the fridge.

Well, its chicken thighs, not breasts. I've found in the past that cooking them for a good amount of time will make them shred fantastically. I'm not looking for chunks, shredding it in the curry and spooning over rice makes it easier to portion out IMO.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Quick guys I need a bomb rear end recipe for twice cooked pork

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
Now that I've paid out the butt for a new house, it's time to pay even more for a new kitchen! It came with an old electric range (no gas) and I'm thinking of going induction.

2 questions:
1) Is it hard to cook with a wok on induction?
2) Recommendations for brand of range to buy?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I bought some Sichuan peppercorns today. I'd never cooked with them before, but I used them for Kung Pao chicken, and they're pretty amazing! What are some other fun things to put them in?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

My favorite thing to eat them in is a common Sichuanese style of green beans. This recipe looks about right, although I haven't tried it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Make up some roasted sichuan pepper salt.

1:1 peppercorns and kosher salt, toast over medium heat stirring constantly until it gets fragrant and the salt starts to turn golden. Let cool then grind and sift out any large bits.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Reztes posted:

I bought some Sichuan peppercorns today. I'd never cooked with them before, but I used them for Kung Pao chicken, and they're pretty amazing! What are some other fun things to put them in?
This cookbook has lots of good recipes with them. She also has a Sichuan cookbook which I haven't read but which presumably uses them in lots of recipes. This website also has a ton of tremendous recipes. I like this.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I had fun using them in American fried chicken, like hot chicken but numb.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

legendof posted:

My favorite thing to eat them in is a common Sichuanese style of green beans. This recipe looks about right, although I haven't tried it.

Sweet, I have some green beans in the fridge, I will definitely give these a shot.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This cookbook has lots of good recipes with them. She also has a Sichuan cookbook which I haven't read but which presumably uses them in lots of recipes. This website also has a ton of tremendous recipes. I like this.

Thanks for these links as well. Everything on that website looks amazing.

I also found this old post and now have a craving to make like salt & pepper chicken wings with.... I dunno what kind of sauce. For some reason my heart says tonkatsu sauce, but that would probably be weird!

Reztes fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 14, 2017

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Time Trial posted:

Now that I've paid out the butt for a new house, it's time to pay even more for a new kitchen! It came with an old electric range (no gas) and I'm thinking of going induction.

2 questions:
1) Is it hard to cook with a wok on induction?
2) Recommendations for brand of range to buy?

I replaced my gas range a while ago when it tried to kill me, and got a stove with an induction cooktop. In my experience:

1. Induction is not quite as responsive as gas when changing temperatures. Like with gas, I'd bring something to a boil, then turn it to low and it would happily simmer as long as I wanted. With the induction, I have to play around with the setting to keep it at a simmer.

2. I don't like that the "burners" require pans of a certain minimum size (although I do understand why it is that way).

3. The pictures where you see half a pan with an egg in it, and the part in the pan is cooking while the other part isn't is misleading. The ceramic top will heat up with the radiant heat of the pans you are using.

4. Probably obvious, but the higher the amount of ferric material in your pans, the quicker they will heat up. My All-Clad pans work much better than my less expensive (but completely adequate) Oneida non-stick pans.

That said, I do like my induction range quite a bit. However, when it comes time to replace this one, primarily due to #1 above, I will probably replace it with a dual fuel dual oven with gas cooktop.

Edit: as to the wok, it depends on how "round" it is. My range requires a minimum amount of contact with the hob to work, the tiny bottom of most woks probably won't cut it.

LongSack fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I want to make some fresh bread for lunch tomorrow, so I thought I'd make the dough tonight and then let it rise in the fridge over night.

1) Make dough in the evening, knead it, etc
2) Place in the fridge for 12 hours.
3) Remove from the fridge, let rise for 2 hours at room temperature
4) Punch down, Shape and put into bread tin
5) Rise 1 hour
6) Bake

Does that seem reasonable? Normally I'm lazy and just do 2 quick 1 hour rises, but I fancy doing it properly this time.

If it matters, I'll be using dried bakers yeast and wholemeal spelt flour.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Sep 15, 2017