Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

a cock shaped fruit posted:

They can be done well, but 99% of people have no idea how to do it. The best ones are like football play analysis, with commentary over that happened in the turn, with some key focus on dice rolls and player reactions.

But, they barely exist, most people are happy to film the grueling amount of pedantry that doesnt make the hobby fun (individually measuring and moving 30 genestealers for 10+ minutes :shepicide: )

Yeah, I can't believe it when the cameras are rolling and all that's on screen is a close up of the table, showing the space where hits, wounds, saves etc are all being rolled. Not even making an effort to go fast. It's amazing. Who can watch that for 2 hours?

Edit: top of page. Picture of converted leman russ tanks:

Genghis Cohen fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Uroboros posted:

Foldio got packed because moving into new house, still managed to paint some mans.

What do you use for your plasma cell to get crisp lines like that?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

a cock shaped fruit posted:

They can be done well, but 99% of people have no idea how to do it. The best ones are like football play analysis, with commentary over that happened in the turn, with some key focus on dice rolls and player reactions.

But, they barely exist, most people are happy to film the grueling amount of pedantry that doesnt make the hobby fun (individually measuring and moving 30 genestealers for 10+ minutes :shepicide: )

Yeah exactly. People are guilty of it with written ones as well but those don't take 2 hours of my life up. I do think there's a niche for videos which aren't rubbish but I don't know that it's necessarily being filled right now.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

OhDearGodNo posted:

What do you use for your plasma cell to get crisp lines like that?

Small detail brush, fill the whole thing in with Stegadon scale green, then hit just the coils with something like the Teclis blue. When painting the coils make sure you have almost no paint on the bristles. Then you kind of dry brush the coils using the edge of the brush, not the tip, if you try to literally trace the lines you are likely to get paint in between them.

Then I shade it with a blue glaze and hit the coils with progressively lighter colors like blue horror and then white, covering less and less of the coils. I know it sounds a tad complicated but it isnt.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

drat you guys and your super fine and straight highlights! :argh: These are incredibly good looking by the way.

Here is a cross post of my hamfisted highlights:

I think that Lucius looks pretty drat good. Problem with edging is there is no real shortcut for them. Model quality also makes it harder, that Lucius looks like finecast so it's harder to properly do compared to the new stuff.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Genghis Cohen posted:

Who can watch that for 2 hours?

I'd be willing to wager that all the paid subscribers for Miniwargaming et al, insist upon seeing every role and every action and complain loudly in the comments if that stuff is left out.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ougd6l1FnLQ

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So nice to see the classic Cadian 8th scheme making a return again.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

Is it just me that really dislikes video battle reports? I hugely prefer words + pictures and I wish more people still did them.

I'm with you grandpa.

Since writing reports is a dead medium and everyone is on the video battle report wagon I prefer either end of turn summaries or the canhammer or FLG shortform where the film reactions (or just voice over) in front of a top down greenscreen going at like 5x speed.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
The problem with making video reports snappy is that editing 3 hours of video into an interesting 10-20 minute video is a lot of work and takes a lot of post work. And also takes a skillset that most people just don't have.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

The problem with making video reports snappy is that editing 3 hours of video into an interesting 10-20 minute video is a lot of work and takes a lot of post work. And also takes a skillset that most people just don't have.

I've been watching Tabletop Tactics battle reports while painting. While they don't edit down to 20 minutes, they do only summarize movement phases (other than advance rolls) and in later turns they start summarizing more and more. Unlike most battle reports everyone seems comfortable on camera and they manage to light it well and have clear audio for everyone.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The problem I have with video battle reports is mostly down to people wittering on over the minutiae of the rules, or that they present it in real time. A bit of editing and clean presentation goes a long way to making something watchable. Oh, and don't stick lovely music all over it.

The Bee posted:

Yeah, I think both sides are being kind of reactionary here. I'm interested in seeing how this graph pans out when analyzed, even if I think there are a million factors more likely than MARINE BIAS.

I don't disagree that it could be interesting to know the breakdown of what our community plays. The reason I reacted as I did is that Goose has previously expressed a belief as smug as it is misguided, that this thread is somehow hostile toward non-Imperium armies and the people who play them. As a reaction to people disagreeing with him. This seems to have been a pathetic attempt at a 'gotcha' to prove it.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

I've been watching Tabletop Tactics battle reports while painting. While they don't edit down to 20 minutes, they do only summarize movement phases (other than advance rolls) and in later turns they start summarizing more and more. Unlike most battle reports everyone seems comfortable on camera and they manage to light it well and have clear audio for everyone.

They're the only ones I can stand to watch anymore. A big part of it for me is that they are to genuinely enjoy making these videos in a way that I really don't see from MWG etc. I don't really mind the length since the only time I watch is when I'm painting for a bit of background noise

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Booley posted:

Oh yeah, gamers are not exactly photogenic at the best of times and there always seems to be one guy who has the kind of personality dysfunction which shouldn't be on camera.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Oh yeah, gamers are not exactly photogenic at the best of times and there always seems to be one guy who has the kind of personality dysfunction which shouldn't be on camera.

I think these guys (tabletop tactics) are all ex-drama students. They're either lacking crippling nerd disorders or at least able to hide them for a few hours so you get actual friendly banter instead of cringe. I tried watching MWG once and it was a mess of mumbling, constantly changing volume, and inability to see what's going on.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Corrode posted:

Is it just me that really dislikes video battle reports? I hugely prefer words + pictures and I wish more people still did them.

Honestly I prefer words + pictures in just about everything, even most painting tutorials. I'm a luddite and YouTube has ruined the Internet.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

drat you guys and your super fine and straight highlights! :argh: These are incredibly good looking by the way.

Here is a cross post of my hamfisted highlights:

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Been working on my boy here, sorry for the tablet images:

I've been trying really hard to keep the lines clean and shade him properly. I was going to paint the silver bits gold to match the rest of the army, but I decided to keep him closer to how he is depicted everywhere else.

Every model is a new challenge.

That's a nice pink, what's the recipe for that?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So I ended up with $200 in GW gift cards for my birthday. I'm debating if I want to get a bunch of units I've been needing to fill out my AdMech (Syndonian Dragoons, Fulgurinte Electro-Priests, maybe some Kastelans), get the collectors edition codex when (if) it comes out Saturday, or get a knight to match with my AdMech force.

I'm probably going to wait until after the codex drops to get all the info. What say you, goons?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
100% wait on the codex. It's only a couple days at this point and there's no telling what rules will change

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zuul the Cat posted:

So I ended up with $200 in GW gift cards for my birthday. I'm debating if I want to get a bunch of units I've been needing to fill out my AdMech (Syndonian Dragoons, Fulgurinte Electro-Priests, maybe some Kastelans), get the collectors edition codex when (if) it comes out Saturday, or get a knight to match with my AdMech force.

I'm probably going to wait until after the codex drops to get all the info. What say you, goons?

The "Collector's Edition" will be worthless as soon as a new edition comes out, and unless you're the type of person who really cares about an old book I would get a physical model.

I say go with the Knight.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
https://www.warhammer-tactics.com/s...rnament-players
Found this little article posted up on a local page, what's your guys thoughts on it?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Corrode posted:

My problem with them is that they're usually an hour and a half long, if not longer. The MWG guys also try and talk too much and make it funny when they're not actually terribly funny dudes. I have plans for when I get around to doing them myself that would actually make them watchable, but that's still a little ways away.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'm looking forward to doing this to myself

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

godspeed, fuckboi

Unrelated, Metalica is up:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/13/forge-world-focus-metalica-sep13gw-homepage-post-4/

Very cool, and the warlord trait is STRONK, but I don't think these are strong enough to not take Cawl, either

The Advance and shoot RF might be interesting on Kataphrons, since they're slow as gently caress

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Hencoe posted:

Found this little article posted up on a local page, what's your guys thoughts on it?

He writes it well but all he's doing is replying to someone's generalizations with "nuh uh" and generalizing in the opposite direction.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Next Forge World preview is up. Seem to be pretty mobile. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/13/forge-world-focus-metalica-sep13gw-homepage-post-4/

I like that Skitarri strategem too, though it seems like it would be better with a reroll aura.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Hencoe posted:

It's basically 'water is wet' - factual but meaningless. The kind of guys who sneer at the whole idea of tournaments or competitive play are not gonna be convinced by it, and functioning humans already understand everything it says.

SRM posted:

My problem with them is that they're usually an hour and a half long, if not longer. The MWG guys also try and talk too much and make it funny when they're not actually terribly funny dudes. I have plans for when I get around to doing them myself that would actually make them watchable, but that's still a little ways away.

I remember you talking about doing them. I enjoy your text and picture ones so hopefully the same production values can come to the videos. I'd try myself but all my gaming is pick-ups with super casual acquaintances so it wouldn't really work out.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

godspeed, fuckboi

Unrelated, Metalica is up:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/13/forge-world-focus-metalica-sep13gw-homepage-post-4/

Very cool, and the warlord trait is STRONK, but I don't think these are strong enough to not take Cawl, either

The Advance and shoot RF might be interesting on Kataphrons, since they're slow as gently caress

Kataphrons (as of the index) can already advance and shoot with no negative modifiers to shooting, but only get to advance D3". I think all of their guns, except for the Flamer and Phosphor Blaster, are all heavy.

Zark the Damned posted:

Next Forge World preview is up. Seem to be pretty mobile. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/13/forge-world-focus-metalica-sep13gw-homepage-post-4/

I like that Skitarri strategem too, though it seems like it would be better with a reroll aura.

I really like that so far the traits for the foreworlds are pushing and enabling people to use Skitarii more. They're such cool models, and they desperately needed something.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Corrode posted:

It's basically 'water is wet' - factual but meaningless. The kind of guys who sneer at the whole idea of tournaments or competitive play are not gonna be convinced by it, and functioning humans already understand everything it says.

I think it would've been better had the guy asked the people why they felt that way and addressed that, instead of just going with the 'nuh uh' response to their claims. I don't attend tournaments for anything because of attending tournaments previously. I don't sneer at people that do, but the kind of people and attitudes I ran into made it not worth it.

Though maybe I need to get over it since I'm 1,000 miles away from my friends and have become a nerd hermit (nermit?).

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Hencoe posted:

It seems like an exercise in missing the point right from where he starts going 'well the dictionary defines overpowered as this' and 'taking Guilliman and 5 stormravens is fine'.

Given he is trying to.argue tournament players aren't douches it seems like a bit of a self own.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Fluff question:

Is there a "Pro-Imperial" group in the AdMech? I mean, guys who *don't* want to rip up the Treaty of Olympus and think the Imperium is just fine and dandy to fight alongside of without wanting to gently caress them in the rear end as soon as their backs are turned (which, with mechadendrites, isn't usually a requirement)?

More or less, are there any "This Guy" factions of the AdMech or are they all Thats?

("This Guy"ness obviously being a very relative term given the setting...)

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Thundercloud posted:

It seems like an exercise in missing the point right from where he starts going 'well the dictionary defines overpowered as this' and 'taking Guilliman and 5 stormravens is fine'.

Given he is trying to.argue tournament players aren't douches it seems like a bit of a self own.

Yeah, but if he isn't full of poo poo and the encounter did actually consist of five guys deciding they didn't like him based on the fact that he sometimes goes to tournaments, nothing he said would have convinced them otherwise anyway.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

https://regimental-standard.com/2017/09/13/konor-campaign-victory-souvenir-issue/

On point again :)

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Fluff question:

Is there a "Pro-Imperial" group in the AdMech? I mean, guys who *don't* want to rip up the Treaty of Olympus and think the Imperium is just fine and dandy to fight alongside of without wanting to gently caress them in the rear end as soon as their backs are turned (which, with mechadendrites, isn't usually a requirement)?

More or less, are there any "This Guy" factions of the AdMech or are they all Thats?

("This Guy"ness obviously being a very relative term given the setting...)

I dunno, but i'm interested in knowing this as well.

In fact, are there any Black Library books that deal with AdMech primarily?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Corrode posted:

I remember you talking about doing them. I enjoy your text and picture ones so hopefully the same production values can come to the videos. I'd try myself but all my gaming is pick-ups with super casual acquaintances so it wouldn't really work out.

It's basically just been me waiting to have the right setup to film them comfortably. My new place has enough space that I could feasibly play and film at the same time, and the lighting isn't awful.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zuul the Cat posted:

I dunno, but i'm interested in knowing this as well.

In fact, are there any Black Library books that deal with AdMech primarily?

There's the Forge of Mars series and the Horus Heresy book Mechanicum, I think they're all by Graham McNeill.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Plenty are cool with the imperium, really. I think in Titanicus, which is another good book about the mechanicus, though interspersed with normal folk, it's suggested that there's evidence the emperor isn't the omnissiah, and it's covered up because cooler heads know both the imperium and mechanicus would fall apart without eachother. And I doubt many normal mechanicus are ok with going full chaos as an alternative.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

There's the Forge of Mars series and the Horus Heresy book Mechanicum, I think they're all by Graham McNeill.

There's also Priests of Mars, which is kinda like BSG/FTL Admech edition.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
With the announcement of Enginseers becoming HQ, I was gonna grab some from GW.

Single Tech-Priest Engisneer from GW is $30. (The second one is $15, but i'm not a fan of the model).

Single Titan Tech-Priest Enginseer from FW is $15. Grabbed two of those instead. (Plus i dig their look).

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

SRM posted:

It's basically just been me waiting to have the right setup to film them comfortably. My new place has enough space that I could feasibly play and film at the same time, and the lighting isn't awful.

Would you even have to worry about filming, necessarily? You could take still shots based on deployment, and at the end of every phase or turn, and then write down the cogent points to be set for narration afterwards? If you approached is systematically with a checklist or something I'm sure you could put something together that's worth a watch. And then maybe leave some time at the end for reactions shot on your phone? You could approach it like a camhammer video.

Also, Felime and I are headed to Games 'n' Stuff in Glen Burnie on Sunday! We're set to have a game at 11 AM (ish) and I'm willing to stick around after for a second game if anyone wants to show up. Maybe a couple of goons show up and we can have a little goon hoe-down or something? That would be fun!

The Sex Cannon fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I've seen reports like that, and it's really hard to transcribe the game into the minds eye with just still photos. WOM tried a long time ago, but he went for too much detail and he's never been the same since.