Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Why the poo poo is it impossible to get a pic of Bob's actual FWWM tattoo? All I get are giant face bob sleeves and other non bob tattoo version of FWWM, or meanwhile.

Because there isn't really ever a good, clear shot of it. It's just a lovely txt tattoo anyway.

Also, here's the drawing Lynch did on a sticky note when he first thought of the phrase. He's said Bob's tattoo in his mind isn't necessarily this drawing tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I personally quite enjoyed the show aside from some bullshit. I think the trick as a casual non-Lynchfan viewer is basically to only watch it when you feel you are really in the mood for some Lynch. I didn't care when it was announced or when started airing but than the Lynch-mood struck and I got pretty much exactly what I needed. In any case the fact that Lynch was able to run ep 8 on mainstream TV, outside of some godforsaken shorts festival makes is worth it.

As for the bullshit:
1. what was the point of waitress' daughter and her junkie husband? What did they have to do with anything and why did he kill himself?
2. Cocaine wizard, anything there other than the plot device to drive Cooper-son to run over that boy?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
it's garmonbozia all the way down

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Art Alexakis posted:

the gently caress is this poo poo

A better post than you'll ever construct or comprehend.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

mary had a little clam posted:

I'm more disturbed by people who wander into a 375 page thread full of thoughtful engagement with and criticism of a complex piece of art and feel really insecure about it to the point that they need to keep trotting out strawmen like the mythical Lynch Fan Who Rejects All Criticism. We get it

♬ I hate every goon I see; from Lynch-fan A to Lynch-fan Z ♬

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You know what I *really* wonder about? The husband of the woman Ben Horne was flirting with over season 3. Like, there was a scene where she came home and she had this wheelchair-bound husband and it was like, either he was an insanely passive aggressive rear end in a top hat or she is just a total rear end in a top hat to her husband for saying fairly innocuous things. I don't THINK there was ever another scene with him!

I want to say this was episode 9 or 10, but it may have been an episode or 2 later. Or even in episode 6 or 7. Really not sure.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think the whole point of that scene was to show the she was kinda of an rear end in a top hat and was looking to have an affair with her boss to flee for her dying husband, who she treats like poo poo

edit: about FWWM: Sheryl Lee was awesome on it and I also liked Chester Desmond parts and the ending too but it really inst one of Lynch's best. Also, everything about what Donna does and Bobby does seemed like a bit of a retcon to me

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 13, 2017

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Vogler posted:

No. I'm saying that since FWWM had the potential to tell so many stories, it was disappointing that it chose to spend 2/3rds of its runtime telling one that we already knew. Especially after that hilarious bit with David Lynch and the pantomime girl that gave me such high expectations.

You're in phase 1, where you're still mad at it for not being a sequel to the TV show. I spent a long time there. Try to move past that whenever possible, it's really good on its own merits.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

kaworu posted:

You know what I *really* wonder about? The husband of the woman Ben Horne was flirting with over season 3.

I just finished my re-watch of episode 1, and in the credits her character's name is "Beverly Paige." I'll have to check if the last name of the character "Carrie" in episode 18 has the same spelling.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I wasn't the biggest fan of the "unresolved" storylines from S3, but I always see people mention Shelly/Becky/Red and such, but I feel they're the the ones that didn't need a resolution, because there is none (as much as I would have liked to see more of Red). It was to show the cycle of dysfunction, and how it happens time and time again. It was spelled out pretty Lynch-clearly after Shelly ran off with Red, when Bobby sees the gun kid and his dad wearing camo. This poo poo just repeats itself generation after generation. There is no "end" and just because we didn't get a shot of Shelly getting news about her daughter being dead doesn't mean it didn't happen.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cromulent posted:

I wasn't the biggest fan of the "unresolved" storylines from S3, but I always see people mention Shelly/Becky/Red and such, but I feel they're the the ones that didn't need a resolution, because there is none (as much as I would have liked to see more of Red). It was to show the cycle of dysfunction, and how it happens time and time again. It was spelled out pretty Lynch-clearly after Shelly ran off with Red, when Bobby sees the gun kid and his dad wearing camo. This poo poo just repeats itself generation after generation. There is no "end" and just because we didn't get a shot of Shelly getting news about her daughter being dead doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I agree with this. That whole plot line ended up being very straight forward at the end.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I just finished my re-watch of episode 1, and in the credits her character's name is "Beverly Paige." I'll have to check if the last name of the character "Carrie" in episode 18 has the same spelling.

Yeah, as a matter of fact it *did* have the same spelling! I am hesitant to say there's a connection there but it's odd. During the episode I wondered if the name "Carrie Page" was a pun, that Carrie would wind up with pages from Laura's diary which she had carried from Odessa but I guess that's too literal isn't it.

I just found the scene with Beverly's husband especially odd because there was no pretext, no followup, very out of the blue and just there. I'm perfectly capable of telling she's treating her husband like poo poo while apparently trying to initiate some sort of illicit affair with Ben Horne... I suppose I found the scene curious because her personality did like a totally 180 from how she handles and comports herself with Ben, as opposed to her husband.

Oh, also, I wanted to share my favorite youtube "analysis" of the finale. It works because it's almost entirely wordless and just lets any connections or meanings behinds those connections up to us, which is quite appropriate. All we can really do is just try and connect the dots, after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYIhEODcrKM

kaworu fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 13, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Beverlys husband, mr paige is reminiscent of harold, who carried a page of Lauras diary

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Did Chris Isaac ever act again? He was great in that.

He made three seasons of a sitcom called "The Chris Isaak Show" that was actually pretty good. It featured a naked mermaid in a fish tank who he would talk to once in a while. Also, unsurprisingly, there was plenty of music in the show (his band were primary characters).

Sadly, I don't think it's ever been released via streaming or physical media. I bet there are issues with music rights because there were lots of guest musician spots that would end up turning into musical performances toward the end (ex: there was an episode with Paul Stanley that ended up with Isaak and his band and Stanley playing a Kiss song).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

kaworu posted:

I really didn't mean to make this into a discussion about other directors and I *certainly* didn't want a discussion about THAT director and THAT movie, I just wanted to cite an example of a mainstream film by another director with a purposely ambiguous ending, that's it. I really think we should stick to Lynch/Peaks there is so much fertile ground there at the moment guys :)

2001 is about as mainstream as it got back in 1968 and it's certainly not a straightforward resolution at the end. Or Eyes Wide Shut. Hell, 12 Monkeys.

Slightly less mainstream (or, about as mainstream as Lynch): The Holy Mountain, That Obscure Object of Desire (or any Luis Bunuel movie really), Hour of the Wolf. Waking Life. Caché. Melancholia has multiple readings. Enter the Void.

I mean, if ambiguous ending is the sole criteria than every serial horror movie. Freddie / Jason / Michael Myers was defeated ... or was he!?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
leland/bob still kills teresa banks no matter what time fuckery goes on.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I don't think the ending is a problem but people don't seem to be taking issue with it being ambiguous, they're taking issue with wanting to see more resolution to a dozen subplots and the fact that it represents an absolutely major shift in tone and story. It's nothing like the ending of a Nolan movie or an "is the villain really dead?" moment, that's silly.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Kurtofan posted:

Beverlys husband, mr paige is reminiscent of harold, who carried a page of Lauras diary

Scenes like these feel like they were meant to invoke a feeling, mood, or theme that tied into the overall story and were never meant to have a continuing plot.

For example, 2 of the actors were literally sick and dying of cancer during the shooting of this movie and from a character perspective there were at least 3 characters (harry, log lady, and beverly's husband) that were in the process of dying in the story. From that you can draw a number of conclusions but for me it seems that sickness/darkness was closing in on the town, possibly due to the arrival or growing presence of Judy.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I don't think the ending is a problem but people don't seem to be taking issue with it being ambiguous, they're taking issue with wanting to see more resolution to a dozen subplots and the fact that it represents an absolutely major shift in tone and story. It's nothing like the ending of a Nolan movie or an "is the villain really dead?" moment, that's silly.

The impulse to tie everything up in a nice bow while maintaining tone gets you the Star Wars franchise. No thank you.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

G-III posted:

Scenes like these feel like they were meant to invoke a feeling, mood, or theme that tied into the overall story and were never meant to have a continuing plot.
The whole show is filled with the inevitable approach of aging, fading away, and death and it's amazing that the Dougie plot can touch on all of this while still being super funny. Beverly's husband feels kind of redundant to me in light of how much better the theme is established in other parts of the show.

"Judy's coming, everything decays" works when you read her/it as just a symbol of death rather than a literal alien being.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

The impulse to tie everything up in a nice bow while maintaining tone gets you the Star Wars franchise. No thank you.
Yeah. No one's asking for that though.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 13, 2017

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Yeah. No one's asking for that though.

Some people definitely wish it leaned further in that direction.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The whole show is filled with the inevitable approach of aging, fading away, and death and it's amazing that the Dougie plot can touch on all of this while still being super funny. Beverly's husband feels kind of redundant to me in light of how much better the theme is established in other parts of the show.

"Judy's coming, everything decays" works when you read her/it as just a symbol of death rather than a literal alien being.

That's my reading as well. I see episode 8 as an interpretation of the fall from innocence in the garden of Eden. Biblically, man is eternal until he eats the apple (pomegranate, actually) from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, whereupon he becomes aware of life, death, his own existence. He becomes aware of mortality and what it means to die.

In episode 8, mankind for the first time develops the ability to destroy mankind. Before this, any war no matter how large was limited and would have no effect on our survival as a species. But we developed an extinction-level ability and became aware of the mortality of our species. This is what Judy represents: death. Death of the self and of existence. It's no coincidence that Revelation states that Death rides a pale horse and that the image of a white horse recurs throughout the series.

Also I'm drunk so apologies if this is muddled.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Finished Secret history a couple of days ago and rewatched FWWM last night with a buddy who is on his first watch through of TP. A couple of thoughts:

-The Woodsmen in FWWM are the same as the ones from Season 3, just retconned to have dirty faces right? If that's the case, check out the scene from Hap's Diner (sorry for ths lovely screen cap, it came from Youtube)

-The hotel that Leland goes to for his "meeting" with Theresa, Laura and Ronette...is that the same single story hotel as....well the single story hotel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMMO4-6VOJk

-The credits say "Woodsman" but in the Secret History it talks about the Sex Magic thing to call forth the Helpers from another dimension. If Lynch really didn't read the Secret History (come on though), then maybe that is the continuity error? Seems like they are the same to me.

-Secret History hints that the Native Americans were in full knowledge of the cosmic fuckery with the lodges/lodge magic. Hawk's family was one of the families that "lucked out" but his ancestors still got royally hosed by the White Man when they took and desecrated their land. I think Hawk walked out to Glastonbury Grove, knew what was up and knew better than to go in. I also think he knew more about it all than he let on to everyone around him but that's just my hunch. I know this isn't a perfect theory but I really think that there is something to the fact that the Native Americans knew about it and were apparently reverent about it (?), not going into it all willy nilly to save a dead girl or whatnot.

-Lots of people talking about the white horse in front of the black plate in Odessa, along with all of the other "clues". The same thing happens in Vegas - just noticed the Owl cookie jar behind Dougie when he has pancakes, plus the red shoes, plus everything else that Dougie sees that remind him of TP. I read the theory about "pocket, or cage" universes and am wondering if the entire Vegas universe is one of those, with Dougie being watched the whole time while Coop is still in the Red Room.

-When Mr C is interviewed by Gordon in prison he says something to the effect that he has always been home, or never left home (I forget exactly). Maybe Cooper never got out of the lodge at all. I mean, Annie did say that he cannot leave. She didn't say that he can leave after a while or anything.

-I have no idea if any of this makes sense or is important or anything. Just when it starts to make a little sense something else comes along to gently caress with anything I thought I understood. I love it. Best show ever.

There's one thing I do totally understand though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiOn6tO2vQ8

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Flyinglemur posted:

-The credits say "Woodsman" but in the Secret History it talks about the Sex Magic thing to call forth the Helpers from another dimension. If Lynch really didn't read the Secret History (come on though), then maybe that is the continuity error? Seems like they are the same to me.

It's difficult to imagine Mark Frost not talking about UFO conspiracy theory stuff with Lynch constantly over the nearly 30 years they've been working together. Lynch doesn't need to read what he can't escape.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Holy Mountain has a perfectly reasonable and coherent ending tbh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

skasion posted:

Great movie

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah it's one of my favorites

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
I fell weedasleep and missed the ending of Holy Mountain. I'd watch it for real but that was kind of the perfect experience already.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Oh man, you missed out. I hope you at least got to the guy who wants to sell them drugs

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
I don't remember that. I watched it immediately after El Topo and they sort of blend together. Is Santa Sangre any good? I tend to save movies by directors I like for special occasions.. Inland Empire is the last Lynch I'm saving.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Murderist posted:

I fell weedasleep and missed the ending of Holy Mountain. I'd watch it for real but that was kind of the perfect experience already.

thats extremely funny

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
get some coffee or amphetamines and make sure you watch it all the way through and get really invested.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Murderist posted:

I don't remember that. I watched it immediately after El Topo and they sort of blend together. Is Santa Sangre any good? I tend to save movies by directors I like for special occasions.. Inland Empire is the last Lynch I'm saving.

Santa Sangre is great, but it's more conventional than you'd expect from a Jodorowsky film.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Murderist posted:

I like it about as well as El Topo but not as well as Holy Mountain. Definitely worth a watch if you like those two though it's not exactly like them.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Santa Sangre is Jodorowsky's take in Hitchcock/Giallo/Fellini. It's one of his more structured straight-faced movies, but it has just as much searing imagery as his past films. I've actually got a 35mm screening of Holy Mountain on Sunday. Too bad I did all my :catdrugs: at a 70mm screening of 2001 last weekend.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Sekenr posted:

As for the bullshit:
1. what was the point of waitress' daughter and her junkie husband? What did they have to do with anything and why did he kill himself?

This question has already been answered with regard to the thematic/narrative purpose of this storyline but one thing that I always thought was poignant and important about the final scene of this arc was that Steven killed himself in the woods. People have naturally mentioned the flow of garmonbozia that came from this arc and I think it says a lot that Steven ultimately ended up in the woods, totally hosed up on Chinese designer drugs, ready to end it all. The woods have always been an immensely important part of Twin Peaks, both the show and the town - the woods are the heart of the pain, sorrow, enlightenment and joy that seeps into the town. Maybe the woods took Steven back.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
^^ Sometimes you gotta make a hard call, I think you chose wisely.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Murderist posted:

I don't know if you should ever watch it. That's sort of like falling asleep right at the end of episode 17 and never watching 18. You have a very different experience of that movie than most people.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

skasion posted:

Feels like the only way it could have ended tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

A better post than you'll ever construct or comprehend.

Lol