Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Do you have to file a freeze with all 3 big agencies? There's a post on r/personalfinance about this breach that said you can file with only 1 and they'll push it to the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

What I saw was the fraud alert was for all three at once, you need to do the freeze individually.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Yeah fraud alerts are forwarded not freezes.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Fraud alerts are you putting a message on your credit report telling lenders to be suspicious of any attempts to get credit. It's up to the lenders to pay attention. It's generally free to do so.

Freezes prevent access to your credit report, and anyone who needs it will automatically deny whatever they need it for. These usually cost money unless someone actually stole and used your identity, and the cost varies by state.

Except Equifax's freeze process is apparently completely useless. Don't give them any money or sign up for anything through them.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Oh, and that TransUnion link tries to get you to "lock" your credit report. This is not a freeze; do not sign up for it or any other "completely free" services. You will almost certainly lose your right to sue the credit bureau if you do. The only free services you should ever be getting if you don't have a police report on file are through AnnualCreditReport(dot)com (which, as the address says, is once a year only, so use it wisely) and OptOutPrescreen(dot)com (which you should do immediately if you haven't done it or it's expired).

Also, do not click or copy+paste any links in this thread or elsewhere for this stuff. Always type them in directly.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Double Punctuation posted:

Also, do not click or copy+paste any links in this thread or elsewhere for this stuff. Always type them in directly.

Are you... Are you talking to my grandmother?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“Double Punctuation”" post="“476305050”"]
[/quote]

https://www.xudongz.com/blog/2017/idn-phishing/ and this is why

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Internet Explorer posted:

Are you... Are you talking to my grandmother?
Make sure you type it into a reputable website, like Google, or Bing. Then, click the first website in the results.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm watching this unfold from the other side of the pond. America truly is an amazing place.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Furism posted:

I'm watching this unfold from the other side of the pond. America truly is an amazing place.

Equifax lost data for people in Canada and the UK too, alas.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Only we have no recourse and are completely ignored by Equifax (and any other party), so far.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Subjunctive posted:

I stand corrected.

Although one could argue that, at least for their view of economy and social affairs, Canada and UK are much, much similar to the US than the rest of Europe (and I've spent a lot of time in each of these countries, even lived in Canada).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CLAM DOWN posted:

Only we have no recourse and are completely ignored by Equifax (and any other party), so far.

And Canada doesn't have proper credit freezes, even, just unreliable alerts.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
God this seems so much more complicated that it should be. Like are you serious, signing up for the wrong thing can result in me waiving my rights? The gently caress?

I know this is probably all by design to fool people into doing it to help their bottom line but god drat.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Boris Galerkin posted:

God this seems so much more complicated that it should be. Like are you serious, signing up for the wrong thing can result in me waiving my rights? The gently caress?

I know this is probably all by design to fool people into doing it to help their bottom line but god drat.

Pretty much any time you click on an "I agree to the terms and conditions" checkbox, you're waiving your right to sue in a real courtroom, and your right to join in a class action lawsuit.

The Supreme Court has found that this is perfectly legal, because you freely entered into a contract and you were obviously aware of all the legal implications. If it's attached to, say, the bill payment process for the only electricity provider in the area, well, you can always buy a generator or drop off your payment in person past the alligator moat, right?

Equifax was a rare exception, because they don't have a direct consumer touch point where they can force you to accept those T&Cs. But, well, they're trying their best to thread the needle of "force consumers into giving up as many rights as possible" and "keep some positive PR when actual lawyers begin to actually read those draconian contracts and explain what's going on in them."

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

quote:

Billions of devices imperiled by new clickless Bluetooth attack

BlueBorne exploit works against unpatched devices running Android, Linux, or Windows.

http://go.armis.com/hubfs/BlueBorne%20Technical%20White%20Paper.pdf
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/09/bluetooth-bugs-open-billions-of-devices-to-attacks-no-clicking-required/

quote:

BlueBorne, as the researchers have dubbed their attack, is notable for its unusual reach and effectiveness. Virtually any Android, Linux, or Windows device that hasn't been recently patched and has Bluetooth turned on can be compromised by an attacking device within 32 feet. It doesn't require device users to click on any links, connect to a rogue Bluetooth device, or take any other action, short of leaving Bluetooth on. The exploit process is generally very fast, requiring no more than 10 seconds to complete, and it works even when the targeted device is already connected to another Bluetooth-enabled device.

"Just by having Bluetooth on, we can get malicious code on your device," Nadir Izrael, CTO and cofounder of security firm Armis, told Ars. "BlueBorne abuses the fact that when Bluetooth is on, all of these devices are always listening for connections."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wow. That's amazingly bad.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
That's impressive. I don't even know how to feel about that.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I failed the CISSP by 3 points. Shoot me in the loving face now

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

fyallm posted:

:commissar:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

fyallm posted:

It's hard to dumb yourself down enough to answer some of those questions :smith:

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.

fyallm posted:

Ouch, that sucks. Did they give you something with how you did on the individual domains? That's so drat close. :(

I wish they would have done that for me just so I would have known what my strong and weak areas were, but I'm just happy it's over.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

fyallm posted:

Don't they make you wait a month before retesting too?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

So this is different from the Wifi thing from like, 2 weeks ago, due to the bug in the Broadcom SoC?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Ugh dammit.. Yeah I think they make you wait a month, but tbh all the testing centers near me are completely booked anyways and I am so loving burnt out reading that poo poo.

My weak point was networking which I knew going into it that would be the case but holy poo poo it seemed like they were bombarding me with networking questions.

My promotion at work was kinda hinging on me passing it, but I talked them into letting one of my other certs count toward my promotion, so I still made manager, woo hoo. Maybe I won't have to ever take the test again.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Martytoof posted:

It's hard to dumb yourself down enough to answer some of those questions :smith:

^^^^

Studying was an exercise in "English Language Vocabulary Extension: CISSP"

Or, how I learned to stop thinking and love the buzzword.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Potato Salad posted:

^^^^

Studying was an exercise in "English Language Vocabulary Extension: CISSP"

Or, how I learned to stop thinking and love the buzzword.

"Let me get into the weeds and then once I have a better understanding we can circle back around, until then can I get some air cover?" - Every corporate meeting these days for me.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The worst part of CISSP study for me was poo poo like knowing what the 2nd to last stage of the software capability maturity model is.

Kill Me. The stage is called Kill Me.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

fyallm posted:

"Let me get into the weeds and then once I have a better understanding we can circle back around, until then can I get some air cover?" - Every corporate meeting these days for me.

The Something Awful Forums > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Infosec Operator HQ

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Wow. That's amazingly bad.

I know it is, but what about that exploit?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Huh, so that's why Google waited a week to push out their monthly security patch for Android (it's usually on the 5th of the month): to time it with Microsoft's Patch Tuesday and this announcement.

As to the Equifax thing, I was compromised in a SSN hack months before it was cool, so I was already hip to all this financial hoop-jumping crap. I have a rolling reminder in my calendar app to just renew a credit alert every 91 days, since I can't afford to keep lifting and freeze it for every single job interview. It's fine though, with a score in the 540s, it's not like some Ukranian rear end in a top hat could open up a credit line worth a drat in my name anyway. Same reason I didn't do the prescreen opt-out: who needs to worry about your spam mail getting ganked if you're too worthless to send it to in the first place?

The real secret to identity security: be completely and utterly financially toxic! :shepface:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Thermopyle posted:

I've never heard of innovis. All the articles out now about freezing your credit don't mention them...
I'm curious about that too. They were mentioned in the Krebs article but I never see them brought up anywhere. A freeze didn't cost anything to put in using their online form.

Oh, and that TransUnion link tries to get you to "lock" your credit report. This is not a freeze; do not sign up for it or any other "completely free" services. You will almost certainly lose your right to sue the credit bureau if you do. The only free services you should ever be getting if you don't have a police report on file are through AnnualCreditReport(dot)com (which, as the address says, is once a year only, so use it wisely) and OptOutPrescreen(dot)com (which you should do immediately if you haven't done it or it's expired).

No, they have both on their site, although they are definitely trying to sell you on the IdentityLock thing, it says clearly that you have the option to do either one on their page. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that anyone going through the effort to do all this is going to pay some attention to what they're clicking on.

Also, Equifax updated their site to add this

quote:

“In response to consumer inquiries, we have made it clear that the arbitration clause and class action waiver included in the Equifax and TrustedID Premier terms of use does not apply to this cybersecurity incident.”
Would that apply to freezes? Either way, we can all take comfort in the fact that class actions are basically useless anyway :patriot:

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 13, 2017

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm curious about that too. They were mentioned in the Krebs article but I never see them brought up anywhere. A freeze didn't cost anything to put in using their online form.
No, they have both on their site, although they are definitely trying to sell you on the IdentityLock thing, it says clearly that you have the option to do either one on their page. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that anyone going through the effort to do all this is going to pay some attention to what they're clicking on.

Also, Equifax updated their site to add this
Would that apply to freezes? Either way, we can all take comfort in the fact that class actions are basically useless anyway :patriot:

Oh, sorry, I wasn't clear in my post. It's there, but you have to go to the bottom of the page to the only non-bolded link that's after the ad, go to another page that's a giant ad, look at the comparison table that tries to sell you their worthless poo poo, and click the link in the right side of the table.

I don't think they can make you sign any contracts like that to do stuff required by the FCRA. Also, class actions won't get you any money, but they will cost the company a lot of money, and Equifax actually has competition that makes these things A Big Deal to them.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Oh, sorry, I wasn't clear in my post. It's there, but you have to go to the bottom of the page to the only non-bolded link that's after the ad, go to another page that's a giant ad, look at the comparison table that tries to sell you their worthless poo poo, and click the link in the right side of the table.

I don't think they can make you sign any contracts like that to do stuff required by the FCRA. Also, class actions won't get you any money, but they will cost the company a lot of money, and Equifax actually has competition that makes these things A Big Deal to them.

Hey I got like five bucks from a class action against Facebook once. It's not *no* money.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

The worst part of CISSP study for me was poo poo like knowing what the 2nd to last stage of the software capability maturity model is.

Kill Me. The stage is called Kill Me.

So much of that stuff fell immediately out of my head and none of it has been relevant but Oh Well

Some of the stuff they make you learn like how to quantify risk and liability makes you think about how businesses view IT funding allocations and is good for security people to know because it keeps the money flowing. That was probably the most valuable part of the whole thing.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Moatman posted:

Hey I got like five bucks from a class action against Facebook once. It's not *no* money.

They used my face to advertise the Amazon 55 Gallon Barrel of Lube but at least I got my sweet sweet $5 cut too

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Where's my free can of tuna? I demand compensation!

I honestly don't care as much about class actions as forced arbitration, which is worse than nothing. Your only recourse there is your state's AG.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Where's my free can of tuna? I demand compensation!

Don't share your account with your cat.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Don't share your account with your cat.

Correct, only good dogs can be trusted with your credentials (All dogs are good dogs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

cheese-cube posted:

(All dogs are good dogs).

Counterpoint: Purse dogs.

Of course if your response is that those things are rodents pretending to be dogs then we're in agreement.