Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Reckoning posted:

Does anyone else find it ironic that Dave finally made it out to Valentine, and now the unbearable itching, scratching, and sores actually are being caused by swarms of tiny living creatures attacking his body?

Dude it started raining as soon as i got out of seeing 'It,' poured the entire time i rode a metal bike up to the highest point for miles around, dumped as i discovered i had every window unzipped on the camper and forgot the rain fly on the tent, then ceased entirely the second i finally got everything buttoned up and me under cover and soaked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

DICK DICER posted:

Dude it started raining as soon as i got out of seeing 'It,' poured the entire time i rode a metal bike up to the highest point for miles around, dumped as i discovered i had every window unzipped on the camper and forgot the rain fly on the tent, then ceased entirely the second i finally got everything buttoned up and me under cover and soaked

How was It?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Eh, it's like the cast and crew spent the entire shoot clowning around.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

There should be elastic lines that clip into hooks under the bed shelves of the trailer that keep the canvas taught and relatively resistant to bug infiltration.

If you can raise the roof up, the door should seal with Velcro to the canvas as well.

There's no such thing as a fly proof tent/camper, but when it's all working it should mitigate the invertebrate infestations significantly.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

DICK DICER posted:

Yep, that sounds like camping alright.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

It's not true camping until your inflatable mattress starts leaking but your half way there

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Bullshit - camping is awesome and this sounds relatively terrible :(

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Old Binsby posted:

It's not true camping until your inflatable mattress starts leaking but your half way there

Waking up with your rear end or back on a rock. Or if you lugged a 30 pound army cot around with you. Or having to sleep in the car/truck since the 50 MPH winds are about to blow the 12-man away.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I do not enjoy camping in any shape or form. God invented the 4 seasons hotel for a reason.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Old Binsby posted:

protip.. I made a gasket for my leaky deflate valve with a plastic grocery bag.. works great.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Box has been picked up.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

nm posted:

Box has been picked up.

:glomp:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

nm posted:

Box has been picked up.

Good news. Thanks for your work on this. Hopefully the money from me and shortspecialbus covered most of the cost, because you put in all the work on that. Much appreciated!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seminal Flu posted:

Good news. Thanks for your work on this. Hopefully the money from me and shortspecialbus covered most of the cost, because you put in all the work on that. Much appreciated!

Yeah, payapl covered all but 17 bux. Goons are good.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I cant stress enough without you guys Id be circling the drain on the streets in Seattle. Difference between this trip and last time is im not going back.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Those are ancient telegraph line poles right?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Is the vw still technically yours?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Future mayor of Valentine, NE

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nm posted:

Future mayor of Valentine, NE

I mean the senator for NE is getting pretty old...

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

cakesmith handyman posted:

Is the vw still technically yours?

No, i wound up using that money to stay afloat for a few months in seattle. I didnt mis manage it, i know how people may assume where it went, i just have no way of proving it this time. Thats why i became so big on personal accountability like when i lost my ID voucher. All i have left is my word and that remains uncompromised. I may have burned down my previous life to ashes, but at the end of the day i can still look myself in the mirror and know i only ruined what was mine to begin with.

poo poo winds up being a hole where you could throw thousands and thousands of dollars into it and still be in debt and so i gave up for a while.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Let me phrase it this way. Thats just one entry in a long, long list of regrets that i have to live with

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A life without regrets is a life wasted. Just keep moving forward.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Your integrity is important to you, and that's an admirable characteristic. I don't see anyone asking you to prove it; as you say, doing so is impossible anyway.

I don't wanna speak for everyone so I'll just give you my perspective, if we're going there. I've kicked money (in amounts I can easily afford) in your direction and I would do it again, with zero regrets. I don't ask for atonement or an accounting for the past; I don't think doing that would be fruitful. I look to the possibilities in the future, and the only thing I expect out of you is to attempt to learn from past mistakes. That's it: just be cognizant of what has gone by, and willing to try to avoid repeating past errors. Not even succesfull, mind you: just willing to try.

If I can be permitted to carry on with an unasked-for lecture: while helping a family member struggle with chronic failure and depression, I thought of a metaphor that I hoped would be useful to her, and maybe it will be useful to you too. We often talk of people who are on a downward spiral; but there is an opposite thing, and I think it is the real thing that actual people actually do, when they are recovering from hitting a low point in their life, and that is the upward spiral.

There is never one magic thing you can do that fixes everything. It's tempting to think on those terms; "if only I can quit my addiction, everything will be fine," "if only I can get out from under this big debt, my life will be fixed," "if I can just leave this toxic rear end in a top hat, I will be great," "if I can just get out of Seattle, all will be well." That is just as wrong as the pervasive idea that people who have "fallen" did so due to one big mistake, one major crisis in their life, one bad decision.

It's never that easy. An upward spiral looks like the opposite of a downward spiral: one day does not seem especially better than the previous, but when you look back weeks or months, things are marginally better than before. There's not just one big fix, but a thousand small ones, each one making a difference that may be too small to perceive on its own, but over the course of months and years, accumulating into significance. When you're on a downward spiral, you're just dealing each day with cascading effects of all the previous mistakes and calamities, the weight of them pressing down. When you're on an upward spiral, that weight is still there, but you're being lifted up, ever so gradually, by a long series of better circumstances, healthier choices, useful help, and good luck.

Getting out of Seattle seems like a big thing. Maybe, maybe not. Getting to Valentine, getting situated, getting your box back, getting to work on the trukk. Small things that may or may not wind up being helpful. I dunno, man. But it seems to me like today is better than two months ago - does it seem that way to you? If so, maybe you're on an upward spiral now. That's the best anyone can hope for or ask for or expect.

So, uh, hey: I bet a nice shower would feel good: Valentine Health and Fitness Center (http://www.valentinehealthandfitness.com/services.html ) offers a $10 day pass, or an 8-visit punch card for $40. Would that be a reasonable option for shower access?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

DICK DICER posted:

I cant stress enough without you guys Id be circling the drain on the streets in Seattle. Difference between this trip and last time is im not going back.

That's the coolest thing I have heard all thread.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

DICK DICER posted:

I may have burned down my previous life to ashes, but at the end of the day i can still look myself in the mirror and know i only ruined what was mine to begin with.

Ashes make great fertiliser. Best of luck Dave.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
There is a city park/ camp ground that may have free showers. Internet doesn't seem to be a thing in Valentine but some camping review sites seem to list showers and bathrooms. It seems to be on the north side of town. I could not find a $2 shower truck stop.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Yo Dave, my dad gave me a good frame of reference that's stuck with me ever since. It was when I had failed out of college the first time and was pretty despondent about my past decisions. He told me "Look at you five, ten years from now. Does that person have a degree or not? When it comes down to it, that's all that matters."

Wheres Dave + 5 years? What's that guy have? Your decisions will affect him and he's a pretty important dude. Focus on Dave + 5.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

Focus on Dave + 5.

Finding pants that fit is probably already hard enough

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Adiabatic posted:

Focus on Dave + 5.

So you're saying he should build a time machine out of truck parts so his future self can come back and help him take over the world...

Seriously though, that is really good advice.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
I'll say only this: Never regret anything you've done, for at the time, it was precisely what you wanted. If, in hindsight, it turns out to have been a mistake, endeavour to learn from it, but regret serves no constructive purpose and only harms you. Dave, you've made great strides and I'm certain you can continue on this path.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
The past is the past. And the present has a tent. Hows the tent?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Rhyno posted:

Finding pants that fit is probably already hard enough

Finding pants that fit is step #1 of many to Dave + 5 years.

Doesn't matter if it's finding the cure for cancer or going one day without booze. Forward progress feels good to everyone.

Fuckin fight that entropy.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DesperateDan posted:

The past is the past. And the present has a tent. Hows the tent?

tent is fully pitched :q:

its so nice not to wake up a thousand times a night with something biting or in an orifice it was unwelcome in

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

DICK DICER posted:

A topic that occasionally comes up is whether or not you can be trusted with money or goodwill or whatever the gently caress. I think it's the complete loving opposite. If goons give you money and you gently caress up with it, then goons are out money. But, all they're out is money. They're not out anything important if their trust is broken.

You took this trip for your own reasons, but if we break your trust here, you're utterly completely hosed. Not just out $15 or $100 or whatever the gently caress. For all the talk about trust going towards you, there isn't enough about the trust that you've put in everyone from this thread (and facebook and whatever,) and even though I've only been a really small part of this saga, I think that's amazing to see.

I've had a lot of friends go through some really bad drug addiction and other issues, and I myself was probably one or two bad decisions back in high school from ending up in that same boat. The difference is that my high school friends were pretty much unwilling to apply trust towards anyone else, and that really limited their ability to recover or break out of it. I buried my best friend from school a few years back, and I buried probably my 2nd best friend from school last year. They were both in their early 30's. They would occasionally accept help, but they never actually ever gave anyone their complete trust. You're willing to leave an entire life behind, and while you obviously have trust in your own abilities to deal with bullshit that comes up, you're also trusting all of us to keep you out of a hopeless situation. I think it's loving awesome that you did, and everyone here has a huge thing to live up to for that. We're all rooting for you and you've got a hell of a lot to be proud of by taking that first step. Keep it going.

I'm not really sure how to word that. Hopefully it makes sense and doesn't come across wrong. It's kind of an emotional day for me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

You took this trip for your own reasons, but if we break your trust here, you're utterly completely hosed. Not just out $15 or $100 or whatever the gently caress. For all the talk about trust going towards you, there isn't enough about the trust that you've put in everyone from this thread (and facebook and whatever,) and even though I've only been a really small part of this saga, I think that's amazing to see.

God drat, yes. This has been one of the hardest things for one of my most struggling family members; just getting her to trust that we've got her back, completely. So she'll actually tell us what she needs, or ask for help, instead of e.g. being homeless or getting taken advantage of etc.

It's gotta be hard to be living goon-to-hand-to-mouth, when the rest of us are making completely ad-hoc donations with no actual projection of something like a monthly budget, though. It's all very haphazard and random. Maybe we can be better at that.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It would be nice to set some short term and long term goals beyond stop being bitten by death flies all night but baby steps. Eventually we need to burn the truck to the ground right?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Elephanthead posted:

It would be nice to set some short term and long term goals beyond stop being bitten by death flies all night but baby steps. Eventually we need to burn the truck to the ground right?

March to the Sea and finish what Irma could not :black101:

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

DICK DICER posted:

tent is fully pitched :q:

its so nice not to wake up a thousand times a night with something biting or in an orifice it was unwelcome in

When I spent a time homeless on an island in the Pacific, the worst part was the innumerable insect bites. Chiggers, mosquitoes, flies etc. Glad as hell that you don't have to suffer through that purgatory any longer.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Okay look i dont remember the work area being riddled with cactus

Lost my last charger, going dark lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
Well said Adiabatic.

Adiabatic posted:

Focus on Dave + 5.

19" Dick? Seriously though, Dave, you have made progress and wilful decisions and that's what's important. You have a whole horde of Goons supporting you world wide. Keep up the good work and set about rebuilding Dave.

• Locked thread