Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hey guys I just started playing No Man's Sky. I guess I got lucky starting after the 1.3 update? It's fun now. At least to me.

But to be fair I have a tornadic 3 year old and I rarely ever get to play games anymore so something I can pick up at 11 pm and trance out for an hour or two by just doing some relaxed grindy exploration is right up my alley.

hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Lobok posted:

Hm... Titanfall 2 for $15 or buying a whole new console plus a full price Zelda game. Tough call.

Lol if you pay for a Zelda game. If you don't have Yakuza 0 yet it's like $35 right now get that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

bug chaser chaser posted:

Anyone looking for a PUBG type game on PS4 should check out Fortnite. They began testing their Battle Royale mode yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K4T0nGU4pg

Worth the $29.99 imo.

This is so blatantly ripping off PUBG it makes me sick.

"What if PUBG was in TF2"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vintersorg posted:

This is so blatantly ripping off PUBG it makes me sick.

"What if PUBG was in TF2"

They literally mention it's inspired by PUBG and that genre in the first line though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Who says I listened to the audio and just skipped to the gameplay? :cheeky:

Wasn't PUBG supposed to come to consoles eventually?

E: I see it's just a mode based on comments from YouTube... and people are mad. :3:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Get ready for every game to get PUBG modes in the near future.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I'd say "How did a poo poo game full of hacking russians get so popular" but I put a few hundred hours into H1Z1 so I guess I get it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pubgalike is just going to become another template everyone uses, like how FPSes started out as Doom clones.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

haveblue posted:

Pubgalike is just going to become another template everyone uses, like how FPSes started out as Doom clones.

i dont know if pubgalike or battle royale is gonna be the phrase that will catch on though, that will be a barn burner for sure

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't even understand what PBUG is?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

rabidsquid posted:

i dont know if pubgalike or battle royale is gonna be the phrase that will catch on though, that will be a barn burner for sure

Battle Royale sounds cooler and easier to say and it's prescriptive if you vaguely know about the movie unlike MOBA which is kinda vague if you think hard about it (but not anymore since that's the term that caught on)

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

It's an online shooter that is apparently good

E: it's like TLoU multiplayer, but with more people, i think?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Iron Crowned posted:

It's a game where lots of players get dumped into a huge space full of cover and ways to kill each other and fight until there's a last one left. The big innovation is that the space contracts over time as a way to force players to encounter each other and not turtle forever. It's a perfect fit for streaming.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its like if you take the boring grinding of a moba and put it at the beginning of a giant counterstrike match but theres no killcam

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's REALLY good.

100 people get dropped onto an island and you have to kill each other till there is no more. There is a giant circle that slowly shrinks and if you are outside that circle when the timer hits you start to die. So as time goes on - the circle gets smaller and it brings other players closer together. It forces you to hunt other players and by the end you no longer have the luxury of taking your time. You have to expose yourself in the open to move and maybe there might be someone there. There is no radar in the game so you can only go off your senses of sight and hearing.

Do you run towards the gun shots? Do you hide in a house or shed? Do you stay crouched in a field? Do you drive around the island hunting others?

It's incredibly fun and incredibly nerve wracking. Such a rush - especially down to the final 10.

You can get killed really fast too and once dead - you're out.

Real hurthling! posted:

Its like if you take the boring grinding of a moba and put it at the beginning of a giant counterstrike match but theres no killcam

There is no grinding and shopping? You get dumped on an island with nothing and hopefully you find a weapon before others come get you.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Another small innovation is that when you die you just go find another map. You don't have to wait for the round to finish. Takes the edge of permadeath for players while still having permadeath in the mode.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Vintersorg posted:

Who says I listened to the audio and just skipped to the gameplay? :cheeky:

Wasn't PUBG supposed to come to consoles eventually?

E: I see it's just a mode based on comments from YouTube... and people are mad. :3:

It's coming to Xbone first, than Playstation probably like 6 months after.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It's literally Battle Royale to the point where they have actual Battle Royale DLC costumes. I kind of lost it when I saw they had a Beat Takeshi costume.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Ah, sounds like it only took 23 years for someone to fix multiplayer FPSs

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Attitude Indicator posted:

E: it's like TLoU multiplayer, but with more people, i think?

I loved TLoU's multiplayer, I hope they don't shoehorn in a battle royale mode for the sequel

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

It's a game where lots of players get dumped into a huge space full of cover and ways to kill each other and fight until there's a last one left. The big innovation is that the space contracts over time as a way to force players to encounter each other and not turtle forever. It's a perfect fit for streaming.

Part in bold is the only thing you need to know in order to judge the quality and target group of this game.

PUBG is not a game. It is a marketing instrument for streamers and a bad TV show for idiots who fail to understand that games are for playing yourself, not for watching other people play and donate money to them even though most of them suck at the games they stream.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

There is no grinding and shopping? You get dumped on an island with nothing and hopefully you find a weapon before others come get you.

Scrounging around is kinda like moba shopping and grinding. Gotta get buff for contact

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The only streams I watch are for games with sick-nasty emotional scenes so I can fast forward see if people had the same reaction as me.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's incredibly boring unless you're into ARMA / H1Z1, or have a fun group of people to play with. But if you have a good group I'd rather play another game. It can be pretty fun to watch highlight videos though, which I'm guessing is the reason it's so popular. Also, terrible microtransactions and loot system, which for some unholy reason also is a plus for some people. Note that it's still in early access even!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hopper posted:

Part in bold is the only thing you need to know in order to judge the quality and target group of this game.

PUBG is not a game. It is a marketing instrument for streamers and a bad TV show for idiots who fail to understand that games are for playing yourself, not for watching other people play and donate money to them even though most of them suck at the games they stream.

This is a dumb look at things. Like, that famous quote, I am almost dumber for having read it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrWoG8IckyE

I don't stream, don't watch streams and ultimately think they are a dumb loving idea.

The game is incredible - especially with friends in a team as you coordinate.

Last I checked microtransactions are only for cosmetic things - which mean nothing as you equip armor and stuff to cover it all up.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Whatever floats your boat. However, playing with friends makes every game infinitely better, so your experience doesn't say much about the actual quality of the game.

How I know? Ask me about playing 600hrs of BF4 with goons.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

The game is incredible - especially with friends in a team as you coordinate.

So it is team-based? The description above makes it sound like every person for themselves.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

If it's anything like H1Z1 you get a ton of the cosmetic items just for playing well anyway.
And you're still going to get murdered by some naked guy with a shotgun.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Electromax posted:

So it is team-based? The description above makes it sound like every person for themselves.

2 modes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Electromax posted:

You can queue up solo, 2's, 3's and '4s.

And it'll put you in modes with just that type. So like, solo people only play solo people. 2's only play 2's, etc.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I wish more games would have queue modes like that. Solo queuing in Destiny 2 pvp right now is frustrating as hell because there's no differentiating between solo and stacked queues, so there's the good likelihood that you'll wind up on a team of 3 other solo queues and fight a team of 4 stacked players all on comms.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Just don't join more than a 2 man queue if you're alone, because you are guaranteed to be the odd one out in a group and get killed by your own team for your stuff. Even if it's just to shred your clothes for bandages.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm curious about how that fortnight PUBG mode holds up to the actual game since I've bee waiting to play that when it comes to Xbone but I don't think it even has a release date.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Hopper posted:

Jesus Christ

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Hey guys I just started playing No Man's Sky. I guess I got lucky starting after the 1.3 update? It's fun now. At least to me.

But to be fair I have a tornadic 3 year old and I rarely ever get to play games anymore so something I can pick up at 11 pm and trance out for an hour or two by just doing some relaxed grindy exploration is right up my alley.

hth

The game has improved a lot since launch. I picked it right after 1.2 update and was better but 1.3 puts it in the "decent videogame" range for me.

It's relaxing as in you have a bunch of missions to do but there's no timer and you can do whatever instead. It can be boring if you don't put a target to reach like building a base etc since the actual exploration isn't interesting.

Edit: Battlefront ultimate edition is 4.99€ right now on EU store. Does it have single player? For that low I might even pick it for a bunch of mp games if there's still people playing it.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 13, 2017

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Honestly, I think PUBG is more fun solo. Squad games kinda scratch that ARMA/OpFlashpoint itch, but it’s a very different thing by yourself. And it’s fun. Ya’ll should play it.

Fortnite seems bad, so don’t play that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So what the hell do you do in PUBG when you die? Just watch the rest of the match or do you go queue up for another round or what?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

veni veni veni posted:

So what the hell do you do in PUBG when you die? Just watch the rest of the match or do you go queue up for another round or what?

What do you mean die :clint:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

veni veni veni posted:

Leave and learn from your mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

“veni veni veni” posted:

Quit and start another match. If you’re playing a “custom” match, there are a bunch of cool spectator tools so you can hang out and watch other people get murdered, but most matches just give you a “you died” screen.

“Liver Disaster” posted:

Just don’t join more than a 2 man queue if you’re alone, because you are guaranteed to be the odd one out in a group and get killed by your own team for your stuff. Even if it’s just to shred your clothes for bandages.

Nah, it doesn’t team you with random people if you join a squad queue solo, you just get to clown on teams by yourself.