Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Can a JP Sega Saturn play US games with those Action Replay carts? And would an EU scart cable work on a JP Saturn? Thinking about getting a white Saturn

Cubivore_ fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
All correct.

It might honestly be cheaper to just buy the JP versions anyway at this point.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Got a pile of Japanese and American SNES stuff in the mail today:

Includes:

- A very battered and hacked but working Japanese Super Famicom
- ASCII Pad for Super Famicom/NES
- A generic SNES Pad
- Mother 2 (reproduction cart)
- Donkey Kong Country
- Zelda: LTTP
- Chrono Trigger
- Super Street Fighter 2

Here's the three different types of SNES I own:

I'm hoping to find a dead PAL SNES so I can swap over the cartridge slot on the Super Famicom so I looks less ugly. And give the US SNES a clean up.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Also got a super famicom in the post yesterday :11tea: with a bunch of horse racing and dragon quest carts thrown in.

Waiting on a couple of parts to complete a DIY OSSC.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Are there any shogi games focused on tsumeshogi? I've been too lazy about actually learning to play better (still don't remember the basic castles) but checkmating puzzles are hella fun.

I went through a small book of beginning puzzles by Habu that I got through inter-library loan and that was cool. I have no idea where to look for shogi books at Book Off.

I haven't encountered any. There aren't even shogi problems in any of the shogi games that I own. I guess doing a functional shogi AI was easy enough that they didn't have to resort to that stuff like go. For go there's an entire series on the Famicom of about six "games" that are just playing back recent games by go masters and occasionally letting you guess what the next move should be, while shogi gets actual AI opponents.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Anyone use the Game Case King cases for SNES? They sell them here: https://gamecaseking.com/products/new-snes-game-case-with-internal-artwork-b9106d53-488e-475c-a084-a856d3f81ac6

I was curious if anyone actually uses these. They look cool, and give the genesis complete in box feel to SNES carts is my impression. I was literally looking at my SNES collection and just thinking how I don't have the little dust covers for a lot of my games, and the manuals are lost to the ether or otherwise getting beat up just sitting on a shelf. Figured these would be cool to have for at least the gems of my collection, and the few games that I wanted to get to fill it out.

( I have a VERY small SNES collection due to owning a SD2SNES at this point, and mostly want actual carts for speed run purposes or nostalgia, so there aren't many to buy )

I kind of doubt a SD2SNES would fit in one of these though :(

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Random Stranger posted:

By far the most common culprit is that drat expansion pack. Even if you don't have extended memory, there's still electronics in there and it comes loose all the time and makes the system not do anything. Pop it out, scrub the connectors, and try again.

To clarify, the N64 uses Rambus ram that needs a bus terminator, which is what the jumper pack does.

Without something in that slot to terminate the bus, the N64 can't boot.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Instant Sunrise posted:

To clarify, the N64 uses Rambus ram that needs a bus terminator, which is what the jumper pack does.

Without something in that slot to terminate the bus, the N64 can't boot.

That would be funny if the problem is he doesn't even have anything in the jumper slot.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

That would be funny if the problem is he doesn't even have anything in the jumper slot.

Breadallelogram posted:

jesus it doesn't even have a jumper pack

guess I figured out problem #1 - thank you all for sharing your knowledge

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Anyone use the Game Case King cases for SNES? They sell them here: https://gamecaseking.com/products/new-snes-game-case-with-internal-artwork-b9106d53-488e-475c-a084-a856d3f81ac6

I was curious if anyone actually uses these. They look cool, and give the genesis complete in box feel to SNES carts is my impression. I was literally looking at my SNES collection and just thinking how I don't have the little dust covers for a lot of my games, and the manuals are lost to the ether or otherwise getting beat up just sitting on a shelf. Figured these would be cool to have for at least the gems of my collection, and the few games that I wanted to get to fill it out.

( I have a VERY small SNES collection due to owning a SD2SNES at this point, and mostly want actual carts for speed run purposes or nostalgia, so there aren't many to buy )

I kind of doubt a SD2SNES would fit in one of these though :(

I'd recommend going with CustomGameCases instead, as they run about $4 each including the label. Its run by one of the CoverProject guys as well: http://www.customgamecases.com/online-store

Edit: It looks like GameCaseKing is actually using CustomGameCases for their products and marking them up, so I'd recommend just cutting out the middleman?

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 13, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

You Am I posted:

Got a pile of Japanese and American SNES stuff in the mail today:

Oooolala... why are you censoring the slot in that Super Famicom?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Monitor Burn posted:

I'd recommend going with CustomGameCases instead, as they run about $4 each including the label. Its run by one of the CoverProject guys as well: http://www.customgamecases.com/online-store

Edit: It looks like GameCaseKing is actually using CustomGameCases for their products and marking them up, so I'd recommend just cutting out the middleman?

Awesome, thanks bud.

I saw the "Universal Game Case" which I was apathetic towards due to no tabs to hold the manual. I'll look into these as well. Most likely he's just marking them up in order to cover for his custom printed art and stuff, which isn't as scummy at least as it can be made out to be.

Ninja E: Wait, what the poo poo?! These have the custom art and everything. Is he seriously just effectively a reseller? Also, this dude needs to work on his web page, it loads like rear end.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Awesome, thanks bud.

I saw the "Universal Game Case" which I was apathetic towards due to no tabs to hold the manual. I'll look into these as well. Most likely he's just marking them up in order to cover for his custom printed art and stuff, which isn't as scummy at least as it can be made out to be.

Ninja E: Wait, what the poo poo?! These have the custom art and everything. Is he seriously just effectively a reseller? Also, this dude needs to work on his web page, it loads like rear end.

The Game Case King guy probably prints the labels out himself, but he's most likely using the exact same CGC image files which can be obtained from CoverProject.net

The CustomGameCase guy does the actual work of formatting and touching-up high-quality box art scans to create those labels in the first place, so I try to promote his site when I can.

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 13, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Interesting, just looked through his options and they look good. When I was looking at the Link to the Past case, I saw he had some for Goddess of Wisdom and Parallel Worlds. I then looked to see how much a cart for each of those cost, and it looks like $75/each with box/manual/goodies. At that price, I should just get a SD2SNES

That said, do home-brew/hacks like Goddess of Wisdom or Parallel Worlds have any issues running on SD2SNES? I assume they wouldn't but you never know.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

I haven't encountered any. There aren't even shogi problems in any of the shogi games that I own. I guess doing a functional shogi AI was easy enough that they didn't have to resort to that stuff like go. For go there's an entire series on the Famicom of about six "games" that are just playing back recent games by go masters and occasionally letting you guess what the next move should be, while shogi gets actual AI opponents.

Oh I remember those Famicom go game posts.

Morita Shogi 64 has a tsume solver, which is pretty cool, but it'd be nice to have a giant electronic collection of puzzles.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

Interesting, just looked through his options and they look good. When I was looking at the Link to the Past case, I saw he had some for Goddess of Wisdom and Parallel Worlds. I then looked to see how much a cart for each of those cost, and it looks like $75/each with box/manual/goodies. At that price, I should just get a SD2SNES

That said, do home-brew/hacks like Goddess of Wisdom or Parallel Worlds have any issues running on SD2SNES? I assume they wouldn't but you never know.

I never tried those hacks, but the Link to the Past randomizer runs flawless on a SD2SNES.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FireMrshlBill posted:

Generally speaking, hacks don't create any issues as long as the original unhacked ROM works and the hack isn't so huge its ROM size won't fit (which is a non-issue for any of the flash carts, except for Star Ocean with the Super Everdrive).

The only exception to this rule is with N64 Super Mario 64, because the general tool used to make Mario 64 hacks back in the day was explicitly designed with emulators in mind and the ROM's generated don't work on actual hardware, so hacks like Star Road are an emulator-only affair. I forget the actual technical reason for this, it calls emulator-only features or something.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Monitor Burn posted:

The Game Case King guy probably prints the labels out himself, but he's most likely using the exact same CGC image files which can be obtained from CoverProject.net

The CustomGameCase guy does the actual work of formatting and touching-up high-quality box art scans to create those labels in the first place, so I try to promote his site when I can.

Blergh, he doesn't have box art horizontal versions like the other guy, and specifically doesn't have games I would want like Super Metroid. :(

I have a very small collection that I have due to nostalgia and speed running as I've mentioned so buying like 50 cases and printing my own is absurd. I have maybe 10 games I would do this for, and that is generous.

Regardless he doesn't seem to offer any of the horizontal art that mimics box art.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

Generally speaking, hacks don't create any issues as long as the original unhacked ROM works and the hack isn't so huge its ROM size won't fit (which is a non-issue for any of the flash carts, except for Star Ocean with the Super Everdrive).

The only exception to this rule is with N64 Super Mario 64, because the general tool used to make Mario 64 hacks back in the day was explicitly designed with emulators in mind and the ROM's generated don't work on actual hardware, so hacks like Star Road are an emulator-only affair. I forget the actual technical reason for this, it calls emulator-only features or something.

There's also a shitload of older NES, SNES, Genesis hacks that don't work for the same reason. Especially Super Mario World hacks that were made with older versions of popular tools.

In all cases, it's because people doing the hacks only ever did test against significantly inaccurate emulators and thus never noticed what stuff was impossible or incorrect on real hardware. Nowadays people still keep using known-broken Mario 64 modding tools because they want larger/more busy levels that can't run well on the N64, and because there still aren't cycle accurate emulators that can run anything at full speed on normal computers yet. So doing proper testing against the console is quite annoying.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ah, didn't know the same was true in the NES/SNES/Genesis worlds, every hack I tried on those worked, but in fairness I only tried the well-known ones like Parallel Worlds and Super Demo World.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Blergh, he doesn't have box art horizontal versions like the other guy, and specifically doesn't have games I would want like Super Metroid. :(

I have a very small collection that I have due to nostalgia and speed running as I've mentioned so buying like 50 cases and printing my own is absurd. I have maybe 10 games I would do this for, and that is generous.

Regardless he doesn't seem to offer any of the horizontal art that mimics box art.

He does have all those options/games though? Do you have a script-blocker enabled? There's radio buttons to select between vertical and horizontal box art. Try searching through the letter pages instead of using the search bar, it might be broken.

http://www.customgamecases.com/online-store/Super-Metroid-p54317353

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 13, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

Ah, didn't know the same was true in the NES/SNES/Genesis worlds, every hack I tried on those worked, but in fairness I only tried the well-known ones like Parallel Worlds and Super Demo World.

Yeah there was a huge hubbub back when stuff like the SNES Powerpak really got big for the first time, and playing ROMs on your SNES was no longer limited to dudes with creaky old copiers and those who'd have EEPROM programmers and the like for repro productions. Most of the best mods got patches later on that would fix the issues induced by the popular editors, but a lot of the stuff that was just put out in 1999 by some teenager, nobody ever fixed that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Only Shallow posted:

For retro games I really like the official Saturn USB controller.

The only big annoyance is having to set up a DirectInput->XInput wrapper for most modern 2D games. I haven't been able to use x360ce with Sonic Mania because of its DRM :sigh:

Hold on, Sega made official Saturn USB controllers?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

Hold on, Sega made official Saturn USB controllers?

Yessir, in Japan.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

univbee posted:

Yessir, in Japan.

And America and Europe via PlaySEGA. Those pads were $15 back around 2009: http://segaretro.org/PlaySEGA#Subscription

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The PlaySega ones are kinda crap, from what I've heard - too gummy or the D-Pad wears down, or something. The Sega Logistics Services (SLS) ones are legit good, though, but also long out of print, hence :retrogames:.

(That said, Sega Retro also insists SLS was behind the PlaySega pads, so I dunno why I've heard they're garbo when they should be the same thing...?)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Sega Logistics: For When Your Shipment Has Gotta Go Fast(c)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Dangit, I want one of those.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

FireMrshlBill posted:

Oooolala... why are you censoring the slot in that Super Famicom?

Previous owner had hacked the slot to be wider to take US SNES cartridges.

And I do mean hacked, it's loving ugly

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
theres good and bad playsega and saturn usb controllers but idk which are the good ones

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
There's a PS2 version too that are sadly harder to find than the USB ones

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Only Shallow posted:

X360/PS3 versions TECHNICALLY exist too, in the form of Street Fighter fightpads.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Only Shallow posted:

:stare:

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

You Am I posted:

Previous owner had hacked the slot to be wider to take US SNES cartridges.

And I do mean hacked, it's loving ugly

Geezus, especially when he could have just bought a $15 plastic converter... drat.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Monitor Burn posted:

He does have all those options/games though? Do you have a script-blocker enabled? There's radio buttons to select between vertical and horizontal box art. Try searching through the letter pages instead of using the search bar, it might be broken.

http://www.customgamecases.com/online-store/Super-Metroid-p54317353

Oh, awesome. The site renders like rear end on my iPad and i literally clicked on S and then did a find for Metroid and found nothing. He seriously needs to rethink his site design as it loads so slowly.

On a different note, I picked up Earthworm Jim 2 at a local shop with the manual for $30. Felt like that was a decent score. :D

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Monitor Burn posted:

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Also, this dude needs to work on his web page, it loads like rear end.

Bad website, good product. I got CustomGameCases for my N64 collection, as well as a few GameBoy cases and I'm pretty happy with them. Cases are pricy and not terribly space efficient, but with a small collection they sure do look nice all shelved up.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

The Milkman posted:

Bad website, good product. I got CustomGameCases for my N64 collection, as well as a few GameBoy cases and I'm pretty happy with them. Cases are pricy and not terribly space efficient, but with a small collection they sure do look nice all shelved up.

I have to look into if there are any good SD2SNES inspired art for these. As is I'm looking to pick up 7, maybe 8 with then cart.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

The Milkman posted:

Ya, I have mostly boxed N64 games anyway (kept mine near pristine and then bought a bunch when they were cheap in the 2005-2007 range), so was considering getting the cases for my loose carts... or just dropping $40 at Rosecoloredgaming and just getting the complete US sticker set to put on the top/spine of the carts.

edit: but my shelves are spaced so the boxes are on their sides and the carts are standing vertical with the top/spine facing out so the stickers would probably look better than seeing the side of a black case

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 14, 2017

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

X360/PS3 versions TECHNICALLY exist too, in the form of Street Fighter fightpads.

uh the madcatz pads are loving poo poo and i bought one thinking the same thing. do not buy one imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zand posted:

uh the madcatz pads are loving poo poo and i bought one thinking the same thing. do not buy one imo

i think that was the "TECHNICALLY"

they're not good Saturn controllers but they have the same layout

• Locked thread