Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Okay now that I can reliably tank a lair is there any interest in organizing a weekly Goon-first lair run on the weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I've been tanking them too and I'd be happy to come, along w/ my dps partner if we get two full groups going.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've been healing pub lairs the last couple weeks and have a regional under my belt. Problem is most pubs refuse to pub regionals so I can't get the other two I need.

Has anyone seen if there's any tears over the way ip is done yet? I went up about 50 points but there's gotta be some furious sperglord who dropped because they only valued signets and glyphs

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Just logged in after the update. The best new feature: Take all attachments and delete all email buttons.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Non-interruptable casts are now purple and glow so it's a ton easier if you don't remember all the names or need a visual cue.

Trip report from tanking: pubbies are poo poo. Tanks have to keep their oh poo poo buttons, purges, and interrupts available all the time while worrying about threat on adds and moving out of poo poo. Nobody wants to help interrupt poo poo. I like the challenge but as soon as you miss a purge or something, the dps go apeshit.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Richard M Nixon posted:

Non-interruptable casts are now purple and glow so it's a ton easier if you don't remember all the names or need a visual cue.

Trip report from tanking: pubbies are poo poo. Tanks have to keep their oh poo poo buttons, purges, and interrupts available all the time while worrying about threat on adds and moving out of poo poo. Nobody wants to help interrupt poo poo. I like the challenge but as soon as you miss a purge or something, the dps go apeshit.

DPS should be bringing purges, tanks should bring interrupts.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

As a dps you should specifically not be bringing interrupts because of the counter that stops a boss being interrupted too often.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Kessel posted:

As a dps you should specifically not be bringing interrupts because of the counter that stops a boss being interrupted too often.
They took that out.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Loving the change where taunt abilities actually give permanent threat gain. About time.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a verdict in yet with regards to cyber weapons being better than fire for DPS?

(I'm suspecting fire might still be better because you only need the one proc to get it working but I don't know)

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Apparently the new cyber weapons deal close to the same combat power per second as flame but only counting the first hit, and they go up from there - making them strictly better

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kessel posted:

Apparently the new cyber weapons deal close to the same combat power per second as flame but only counting the first hit, and they go up from there - making them strictly better

Cheers.

Now all I have to do is pray I can score some better pistols some day. Or hold out for some filth themed ones or something later.

I'd go "gently caress it" and just grab a hammer or shotgun but I like cleanup.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I just started playing the game with the Illuminati faction, having not played The Secret World. I really liked the initial dream sequence in the graveyard, pyramid, and underground bunker. My heart was beating really fast during the part where the giant robot starts lumbering about. I like that everything is detailed enough that it's worth zooming into first-person mode to be able to look at objects more closely. I really like the "collecting virtual clothes and outfits" aspect of some video games like FFXIV and SWTOR, so I'll probably enjoy the whole Dressing Room feature.

The UI has a learning curve and I spent 2 hours reconfiguring everything the way I liked it and learning what everything does, like the lock icon in the top-right edits the GUI. It took me a while to notice that pressing Alt allows zooming in the camera, adjusting the vertical angle, reading quickbar ability descriptions on hover, etc. It was a little confusing that the message about pressing Alt came up while talking to an NPC with options after pressing F, so I looked for and found the option to hide the large message about Alt because I try to minimize the amount of HUD overlays. I like that it has different controls from the other MMOs, though.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Prices on the aurum exchange are creeping higher each week. Increased demand, or (I'm guessing) decreased supply?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Snapped up some plasma forged pistols of recovery for 260k :dance:

My main weapon is an anima infused chaos frisbee so it seemed like a good secondary suffix.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It's kind of a letdown that this game starts out with a dream sequence mostly in Egypt, then I'm sent to NYC with all this great dialog about all the different factions, there's an awesome fantastical world tree, the graphics are detailed and great, and the voice acting is nice. Then I get to Kingsmouth and I'm all like "this is all right, but I'm ready to move on from zombies" and from there it looks like it'll be just another zombie game for the first 30-something levels. The game would be a lot better with faction-specific missions and more than one starter area. I'll check back in a few years and see if they've added enough content to make the game better. I mean, I waited for F2P and that paid off

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

galenanorth posted:

I'll check back in a few years and see if they've added enough content to make the game better.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahabababahabahahababahahahahahahahahahahahahabahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

That's funny

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Secret World has a lot of things wrong with it, but this sounds like an attempt to kick up the Cheeto dust. If you're not getting hard/wet over the writing, voice acting* and cutscenes so far, then the game is definitely not for you. If you're sincerely on the fence, run the first dungeon(Polaris) tout fuckin' suite, and then get at least a few levels into Savage Coast before uninstalling. TSW/SWL's dungeons have tons of mechanics, and are really well done overall. And yes, this game has a lot more than just zombies...But you already knew that.

* Always click every dialogue option in the blue bubbles until you get a green check for each topic. It really fleshes out each character, and the setting in general. If "fleshing out each character" is stupid poo poo, then uninstall immediately and play something you'll like better.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The first "mission" is to deal with Solomon Island situation regardless of faction. This is how its gonna be, can't imagine they will change that. Promised new content is post-Tokyo which is end-game content.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone who doesn't like Polaris doesn't like fun video game content.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brave New World posted:

* Always click every dialogue option in the blue bubbles until you get a green check for each topic. It really fleshes out each character, and the setting in general. If "fleshing out each character" is stupid poo poo, then uninstall immediately and play something you'll like better.

:agreed:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

DancingShade posted:

Anyone who doesn't like Polaris doesn't like fun video game content.

And one of these days I'm going to eventually remember to grab that last lore token out of there that I keep forgetting to grab.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

galenanorth posted:

It's kind of a letdown that this game starts out with a dream sequence mostly in Egypt, then I'm sent to NYC with all this great dialog about all the different factions, there's an awesome fantastical world tree, the graphics are detailed and great, and the voice acting is nice. Then I get to Kingsmouth and I'm all like "this is all right, but I'm ready to move on from zombies" and from there it looks like it'll be just another zombie game for the first 30-something levels. The game would be a lot better with faction-specific missions and more than one starter area. I'll check back in a few years and see if they've added enough content to make the game better. I mean, I waited for F2P and that paid off

fwiw the zombies never really go away, but the missions stop being ABOUT them pretty fast and they're by far the most mundane thing that's wrong with Kingsmouth.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

If you don't like Solomon Island I can't imagine liking the rest of Secret World.

For me it's still my favorite zone (about halfway through Tokyo-Kaiden currently)

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Solomon keeps myself entertained because it just has so drat many little threads hanging about. You've got deep backstory on EVERYTHING and it seems like each little bit of the map, outside of maybe the very beginning, has a billion different things going on. Missing soldiers, haunted theme parks, evil hillbilly wizards, Illuminati Hogwarts, Nordic mythology, demonic invasions and Native American spirit magic. Every bit of that makes total sense in the world and you slowly you realize that all of that might have a weird connection or it's all just random separate instances and that at the end of the day neither means anything. If any fiction manages a solid Everything Is True claim, it's the damned Secret World.
'

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I always liked the Scarecrows of TSW. I appreciate that it's mostly just stupid wizards rather than some unknowable cosmic horror.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Tanking elites makes me miss tab targeting. My old eyes don't so so well with rapidly aiming the reticle one by one through a cluster of mobs that all blur into each other. Maybe I just need to get skilled, but are there any good tanking addons for this?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Supposedly we should have all of Tokyo by the end of the month. We'll probably find out tomorrow during the dev stream if that's actually going to happen

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

Supposedly we should have all of Tokyo by the end of the month. We'll probably find out tomorrow during the dev stream if that's actually going to happen
Outer Kaidan is confirmed for next week's patch, though they got over excited and sent out the "new content available" email today. :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pilchenstein posted:

Outer Kaidan is confirmed for next week's patch, though they got over excited and sent out the "new content available" email today. :v:

Figured something was up with that lol

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

That means they've actually hit every beat so far on their roadmap, haven't they?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kessel posted:

That means they've actually hit every beat so far on their roadmap, haven't they?

The only late one was the lair mega bosses and that was only like a week behind.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Colour me impressed.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Eh, not to bring everybody down but they are just adding cut TSW content so far :D It's not like they are developing something. If they happen to to deploy promised Deep Agartha stuff on time that would be pretty impressive.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Well the release window for deep agartha is several months wide so it's a big target.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So I'm an old TSW player who did the whole story they released but I've been holding off on SWL until they have something truly new.

How much is left of the TSW content to put into SWL now and what's the timetable they're saying for new content?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

macnbc posted:

So I'm an old TSW player who did the whole story they released but I've been holding off on SWL until they have something truly new.

How much is left of the TSW content to put into SWL now and what's the timetable they're saying for new content?

Right now the story cuts off at some point before the love hotel missions open up. By the end of the month we should have to the end of the Tokyo story no word on if that means the dungeons or not. There's still three of the original 8 dungeons missing outside story mode no ETA. The original lair raid and the 10 man flappy are missing no ETA. Some odds and ends missions still missing with no ETA. The wrist signets are all aux weapon based but no aux weapons yet or ETA on those. No ETA in the kaidan lair to get those signets. And the only things we know about the truly new content is late 2017/early 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So I just started playing The Secret World Legends because I'm sadly addicted to F2P MMOs. I actually played TSW very briefly before the combat and progression turned me off, but I'm enjoying the changes a lot and stuff like the investigation missions and how much detail is in the environments has me hooked.

I'm playing a Gunslinger and just hit the Savage Coast. Any hot newbie tips for me?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Blockhouse posted:

So I just started playing The Secret World Legends because I'm sadly addicted to F2P MMOs. I actually played TSW very briefly before the combat and progression turned me off, but I'm enjoying the changes a lot and stuff like the investigation missions and how much detail is in the environments has me hooked.

I'm playing a Gunslinger and just hit the Savage Coast. Any hot newbie tips for me?

When it comes to upgrading gear you get the most out of smash the same item types together. So like a head with attack power + a head with attack power. When you get your first green talisman and weapon to level 20 you get a free item to smash it against to make a blue. When it comes to making a talisman a higher color you just smash it against the same slot item. So you can make a green attack head talk a blue by smashing it against any max level green head.

You can't use signets until you have purple gear so ignore those for a while.

If you go crazy and decide to get into the end game bullshit tanking is the way to go because there is a severe lack of tanks.

Patron isn't a bad idea if you're really enjoying it. You get extra xp, double ap and so, a free lockbox key every day, free teleports and warps, and 8 hour mission cool downs.

Don't vendor trash all your lock boxes. Even if you never plan to open them they cycle out and the old ones jump in price on the auction house.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

This might be obvious but don't skip any missions, do all of them. Other than XP and rewards 100 % an area gives you cosmetics and some AP/SP. Do dungeons at least in story mode preferably with quests that "lead" to dungeons, they are pretty nifty stories by themselves.