Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The dude's old enough to have a second or more wife, so it might just be a good old fashioned step-mother fetish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

As long as the kid is of your dynasty, why worry? At least it isn't Baron Syphilis of Fucksburg's 18th bastard

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This thread just keeps reminding me how bad of an idea it was for me to give my heir land on the exact opposite side of the continent (I'm King of Ireland and France, I gave him a county in Anatolia). At least I married him off first.

I shouldn't even be trying to keep that county in in my personal demesne, but after I wound up inheriting it, it had something like 109 wealth, and I got greedy for money. I'm also a little afraid that if I don't personally own it it might just slip out of my realm, but that's probably also being too greedy. I've been bumping up against the vassal and demesne limits for a while now, and I may either have to decentralize a little or hurry up on becoming Britannia (or whatever the welsh name is). I do have everything I need to declare my own custom empire, but that's not optimal.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Thanks Paradox, for programming an Oedipus complex.

Is it better or worse that the son is also a rival to the father?

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Waaayyyy better

Edit: It's not like this doesn't also happen to me every game or I wouldn't have tried to spare the new guy

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Hah! Amateur!

Post that again when you're Zoroastrian and it's your son, who's his own nephew, loving his aunt-mother

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I finally did it. The year is 1290 and I formed the Empire of Britannia (Alba) and vassalized the entirety of Scotland, England, Ireland, Wales. It would have happened faster, but the English wouldn't marry anyone into me. So instead I went satanic, hard, and decimated most of the heirs of England. I pushed a claim, hit 99% war score, bad touched the king, ended the war, rinse, repeat. Sometime around 1250, everything clicked. I was at my demesne limit, so I just started inviting people with claims, granting them a barony, and then pushing their claim on England. Finally I was able to usurp the title for the Kingdom of England. I bribed some newly independent petty kingdoms, waited for some dudes to die, and voilas, I've got it all.

My ruler is 58. I have a genius / midas touched heir with claims on Kingdom of France and Kingdom of Portugal ready to go (though the King of France is excommunicated !!!). He's married to a princess from the HRE with inheritable claims on the empire title. I've got 2k gold in the bank, can raise 46k + 6k retinue in troops (Compared to France's 44k and HRE's 34k) and I think the next step is to go take France and/or Portugal and set up my future grandson for taking the HRE before the game is over.

But before I do that, I think I need to go full tyranny mode, revoke everyone's titles, re-organize the empire. Any tips for doing that? I was planning on holding onto all of my demesne claims (they're all counties / baronies in Ireland) and then trying to revoke duchies, and transfer vassalage of counties into duchies so that things aren't quite so hosed up. Do I need to raise crown authority to high/max first? Anything else I should know? When I'm done, I can commit suicide or attempt to push my son's claim on France.

Also, I had the idea to matrilinearly marry men into my 2 open daughters, and then grant their husbands duchies so I can get more powerful duchies back into my dynasty line. How does that sound?

E: Yes, France owns basically all of North Africa :getin:

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 13, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Hah! Amateur!

Post that again when you're Zoroastrian and it's your son, who's his own nephew, loving his aunt-mother

Is it weird that I find this gross?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Mantis42 posted:

Is it weird that I find this gross?

Only if you're Zoroastrian.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

DisgracelandUSA posted:

But before I do that, I think I need to go full tyranny mode, revoke everyone's titles, re-organize the empire. Any tips for doing that? I was planning on holding onto all of my demesne claims (they're all counties / baronies in Ireland) and then trying to revoke duchies, and transfer vassalage of counties into duchies so that things aren't quite so hosed up. Do I need to raise crown authority to high/max first? Anything else I should know? When I'm done, I can commit suicide or attempt to push my son's claim on France.

If you've got the piety get yourself a Pope and ask them for claims on stuff your redistributing so you can do it piecemeal without pissing off all your vassals at once.

The holdings in England are better. Move your capital. Vassal kings of Wales Ireland and Scotland aren't too much trouble and may be less hassle than that many English dukes.

quote:

Also, I had the idea to matrilinearly marry men into my 2 open daughters, and then grant their husbands duchies so I can get more powerful duchies back into my dynasty line. How does that sound?

It's a decent tactic of you're already doing ok with claims and alliances. You can get a non aggression pact with those dukes and not worry about factions.

Land too much of your dynasty and your game will start to lag. Paradox should add cadet dynasties to sort this. There's precedent from reworking diseases.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

All I can recommend is the viceroyalties law, that's supposed to be good for empire managing.

My current game I started in around 700, and I'm only 7 provinces away from Britannia, but I'm currently stuck in a hellwar against 3 separate rebellions along with Burgundy trying to get me to pay tribute. Turns out that getting a little overeager with possessions outside of your prospective empire can really lead to overstretching yourself.

Alternatively, I'm only 5 provinces away from forming the empire of Francia if I pull a conquest of Brittany out of my rear end, because the HRE formed much further eastward than it did in reality, and the de jure empire of Francia is only 6 provinces big. Weird things happen to de jure borders in long games. The de jure Kingdom of Wales is also only the duchy of Cornwall, but for some reason none of the computer characters bothered to take advantage of that and become a king before I conquered that.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I'm mixing things up with a Norse game, and is the tribal levies option a replacement for raising your vassals levies? My first attempt started okay but I kept using my personal levies for raiding so I bankrupted myself because I wasn't making enough money per raid to offset the cost of keeping the army raised.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

All I can recommend is the viceroyalties law, that's supposed to be good for empire managing.

My current game I started in around 700, and I'm only 7 provinces away from Britannia, but I'm currently stuck in a hellwar against 3 separate rebellions along with Burgundy trying to get me to pay tribute. Turns out that getting a little overeager with possessions outside of your prospective empire can really lead to overstretching yourself.

Alternatively, I'm only 5 provinces away from forming the empire of Francia if I pull a conquest of Brittany out of my rear end, because the HRE formed much further eastward than it did in reality, and the de jure empire of Francia is only 6 provinces big. Weird things happen to de jure borders in long games. The de jure Kingdom of Wales is also only the duchy of Cornwall, but for some reason none of the computer characters bothered to take advantage of that and become a king before I conquered that.

You should surrender to Burgundy, and then immediately call them into your other wars. Being a tributary isn't that bad, especially when you have internal troubles.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm mixing things up with a Norse game, and is the tribal levies option a replacement for raising your vassals levies? My first attempt started okay but I kept using my personal levies for raiding so I bankrupted myself because I wasn't making enough money per raid to offset the cost of keeping the army raised.

You can't raise tribal vassal leves. You can sound a call to arms, and your vassals have the choice to join as an ally or not.

I depend soley on my personal leves (and eventually retinues) to raid. You just gotta learn the raiding game, like using optimal stack sizes for smash and grabs, where to bother with, and when to siege.

For wars, you can raise tribal armies (decision, 500 prestige for 2500 troops) to bolster your personal forces. They disband as soon as you have peace and the game is unpaused, but you can leapfrog wars to keep them active (pause, accept peace, disband leves, declare war, unpause).

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Tribal Armies is what I meant. How do you do a call to arms? I clicked on the alert button telling me I could but it just brought me to the military page, and I didn't see an option for it there. I could be blind so, ya know.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

CascadeBeta posted:

Tribal Armies is what I meant. How do you do a call to arms? I clicked on the alert button telling me I could but it just brought me to the military page, and I didn't see an option for it there. I could be blind so, ya know.

Near the raise all vassal armies button, there should be a call all vassals to war button. I can't remember the exact name or position, but it should be in the vassal military section.

You can turn tribal armies to raiders, but you have to ensure you stay involved in a war, otherwise they disband.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Okay good to know. I'll take a look once I get home.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Edison was a dick posted:

If you've got the piety get yourself a Pope and ask them for claims on stuff your redistributing so you can do it piecemeal without pissing off all your vassals at once.

The holdings in England are better. Move your capital. Vassal kings of Wales Ireland and Scotland aren't too much trouble and may be less hassle than that many English dukes.

It's a decent tactic of you're already doing ok with claims and alliances. You can get a non aggression pact with those dukes and not worry about factions.

Land too much of your dynasty and your game will start to lag. Paradox should add cadet dynasties to sort this. There's precedent from reworking diseases.

England is far less developed than any of the counties I hold in Ireland. I own 8 counties, 4 baronies, including 2 in Dublin, my capital. I own all of ireland except for ulaidh and have been developing the baronies for nearly 200 years :sun:

You mentioned vassal Kings of Wales. Should I have Kings or just a pile of dukes? Currently I own all 4 king titles.

E: if I were to give away the kingdom of Scotland, Wales and Sansana (England), who would I give them to? Wouldn't the problem then be that two Kings could probably take me out?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DisgracelandUSA posted:

England is far less developed than any of the counties I hold in Ireland. I own 8 counties, 4 baronies, including 2 in Dublin, my capital. I own all of ireland except for ulaidh and have been developing the baronies for nearly 200 years :sun:

You mentioned vassal Kings of Wales. Should I have Kings or just a pile of dukes?

Kings hate being vassals, even to emperors. I try to avoid vassal kings at all times, and keep them dukes.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Near the raise all vassal armies button, there should be a call all vassals to war button. I can't remember the exact name or position, but it should be in the vassal military section.

You can turn tribal armies to raiders, but you have to ensure you stay involved in a war, otherwise they disband.
It's a gold button labeled "Call to Arms", just left of the "Raise Vassal Levies" button, IIRC. This will also send a request to anybody else you have a pact with, like tributaries and allies.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sometimes it's possible to merge them with the raiding event troops, and have them stick around after peace. The raiding event guys are awesome btw, because as long as you start raiding within the first 3 months you have them, they'll stick around forever. You don't get very many of them (300-3000, scaled based upon total levies), but sometimes all you need is that extra 300 guys to bump your raiders over the threshold at which they can siege entire counties down.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

DisgracelandUSA posted:

You mentioned vassal Kings of Wales. Should I have Kings or just a pile of dukes? Currently I own all 4 king titles.

E: if I were to give away the kingdom of Scotland, Wales and Sansana (England), who would I give them to? Wouldn't the problem then be that two Kings could probably take me out?

England is too big to safely give out, and contains many counties with large holding numbers, so way better potential than Ireland.

Kings hate being vassals, even to emperors. I try to avoid vassal kings at all times, and keep them dukes.

It's been a few patches since they removed that opinion malus.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Why not keep your favorite Ireland holdings and give away the kingdom of Ireland, Wales and Scotland? This will absolutely piss off the definitely weak irish king, btw.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
[quote="Edison was a dick" post=""476369754"]

It's been a few patches since they removed that opinion malus.
[/quote]

Oh weird. I haven't played an empire game in a while so I never noticed.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

CascadeBeta posted:

What were you raiding? If you wait for the Viking Age event to pop you get free shipyards and the level one boat tech on all Norse-culture coastal provinces, and at that point you can roll down to the Med and raid the hell out of Venice, Rome, and any rich, isolated Byzantine provinces you can see.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DisgracelandUSA posted:

King vassals are stronger and therefore more dangerous than dukes, so you usually want to hold all the king titles yourself. However, it can be worthwhile to hand them out if you've done something to piss off all your vassals at once, such as dying or doing something tyrannical - it's easier to placate two kings than ten dukes, so whittling down the number of direct vassals you have can sometimes be a good temporary solution to a bad situation. Just make sure to have a long-term plan for dealing with those kings, because they'll be your biggest internal threat once your realm is stable and your vassals generally like you.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I don't get the hate for vassal kings. They're easy as poo poo to manage thanks to conclave council mechanics and it becomes even better with viceroyalties. I absolutely love vassal kings and I don't know why you'd want a horde of dukes instead, much less how you manage that many vassals while increasing centralization. I think your vassal limit is like sixteen as an emperor with full centralization?

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

If nothing else, it's nice during war to only draw on a single king vassal's levies and not have to deal with drawing up a half-dozen dukes' levies and whoops, I missed one of them when I was selecting all the troops and Duke X's levies have been sitting idle over his capital for the duration of this war.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
A nice way of handling mobilisation of your expanding into a remote part of the map is to give a single county to your more loyal and powerful vassal kings a few counties back from the frontier so you can raise a large army quickly and by the time it makes it to the enemy it should be more or less at max morale.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Man, my knowledge of ancient history through this game just got me in trouble in Conflict of Law class. :v:

My professor mentioned that "no religion condones incest" while we were discussing marriage law, and must've seen my eyebrows go up because she called on me to explain if I knew of any exceptions.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wasn't the thing about Zoroastrian incest in real life more like brothers/sisters would be MARRIED, but children would be produced through concubines rather than incest? Although I'm not sure if that really counts as them condemning incest so much as just being aware of the consequences of inbreeding.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

It was more of a Sassanian aristocrat thing than a Zoroastrian thing, like how pharaohs would marry their siblings but their religion didn't call for everyone else to.

That's how I understand it, at least.

Nevermind, here is what the Encyclopedia Iranica has to say on it.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 14, 2017

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Anyone play a lot of the Elder Scrolls mod? How's that run? Any game breaking things?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Elder Kings is a great mod, a few years ago I went way into a game and unifed Black Marsh and conquered Cyrodiil. I was in the process of invading Skyrim but performance got baaaaad.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I'm assuming the after the end mod is also still fantastic? One I burn through playing all the ck2 and expansion stuff, then I'm going to start jumping to mods.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
After the End is probably the best CK2 TC out there

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

Anyone play a lot of the Elder Scrolls mod? How's that run? Any game breaking things?

no matter how much you want to don't play as an elf mage, immortality + magic makes you too strong

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ShootaBoy posted:

It's typically great if you catch it when it's up to date, but it takes them a long time to get the mod updated when a new DLC arrives.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

After the end is incredibly good, though it gets a lot better if you like in North America since you can play in "your own backyard" similar to the euros do. Though the new mechanics and new places are good even if you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Mister Adequate posted:

It's typically great if you catch it when it's up to date, but it takes them a long time to get the mod updated when a new DLC arrives.

Oh good, that's always fun. So I know the theory of rolling back a version, but how well does it work in practice, especially with mods?

• Locked thread