Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
It's gonna be a black woman because why the gently caress not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

When are they gonna do Star trek fantasy, I want centaur Worf

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Brawnfire posted:

The Futurama team is making a fantasy show for Netflix

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Brawnfire posted:

Gnome LaForge
Witch Doctor Crusher
Ghost Data

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wow, I never realised how big the crash model was.

Apparently it's half the size the director wanted originally though.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The Futurama team is making a fantasy show for Netflix

The number of fantasy comedy shows that came and went after LOTR is depressing. I can't even remember the name of one of them but I remember they existed.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'd take Enterprise Theme over this new one. Don't know what it's trying to besides shuffle nostalgia at the audience at the start and end with an awkward middle.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

The absolute best part of Into Darkness was Scotty resigning. It's barely a two minute long scene, but it feels more like Star Trek than anything else in the movie.

aside from the thankfully-not-a-brewery but still terrible engineering set and warp core

A few pages back but: you mean the warp core which is a literal real-world fusion reactor?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Episode over. I didn't post anything during Picard's conversation with the Tamaris or the denouement because it had me spellbound. That whole episode was amazing. I have the same dazed feeling you do after seeing a really good movie. But it's painful to think about how the other captain must have felt when Picard threw down the knife.

The species talks in memes.

Episode ruined.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Imagine what their assembly instructions for stuff sound like.

"Tenagra with Billy at IKEA"
"Billy, his peg holes open"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Temba, his missing washers.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
As one reviewer I've been reading mentioned, how could they even build a starship?

How could they even issue commands in a high pressure situation. How did they order the weapons guy to fire on that shuttle to disable it

"Globek, when the antelope was clubbed"

(Still a top episode but fun to think about)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Temba, his missing washers.

Shaka, when the allen wrench broke

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
On the wiki it says they learn basic stuff like concepts and numbers through song and rhymes when they're young, but when they get older their brains swerve and go into Darmok and Jalad at Tenagra. But that still excludes a LOT of language.

Like, "I need to do laundry later but I don't know if I have enough bleach. Do you still have some in the trunk of your car?"

"(Laundry) (future task) (confusion) (lack of) (item). (Question) (ownership) (item) (location) (request)?" How the gently caress do they get anything done?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They're like the Pakled, they just confused their first alien visitors into giving them starships

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Allen, his neck bent at a ninety-degree angle

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Bit late to the conversation, but ENT's theme fit the period it was aired in really well. The song just... it just felt very Bush-era. Heck, the series as a whole did. There were echoes of '90s optimism, but with growing themes about the security of the homeland (Xindi attack on Florida and all that) and concerns about how to balance security and freedom.

Even the way Archer looked reminded me of George W. Bush a bit. Probably something to do with his hair.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Ofaloaf posted:

Bit late to the conversation, but ENT's theme fit the period it was aired in really well. The song just... it just felt very Bush-era. Heck, the series as a whole did. There were echoes of '90s optimism, but with growing themes about the security of the homeland (Xindi attack on Florida and all that) and concerns about how to balance security and freedom.

Even the way Archer looked reminded me of George W. Bush a bit. Probably something to do with his hair.

Not to mention his stilted good-old-boy "I'm in over my head" performance.

(Not to knock Backula, but it was super-awkward watching him try to figure out how to act a character they kept constantly changing in an environment he was clearly uncomfortable in.)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ofaloaf posted:

No way, even at the time Faith of the Heart screamed "this is what some ancient and out of touch studio exec thinks is hip and cool."

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Tighclops posted:

No way, even at the time Faith of the Heart screamed "this is what some ancient and out of touch studio exec thinks is hip and cool."

Mandatory reminder that studio executives are detached from reality

https://www.aintitcool.com/node/63777

quote:

One exec, says Braga, pitched the idea that a different boy band would board the Enterprise and perform a musical number each week.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hey, it worked for this season on Twin Peaks!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

I really don't think anyone thought it was hip and/or cool just emotionally resonant with the imagery and purpose of the opening sequence.

It was just someone extremely non-cynical who genuinely enjoyed the music rather than the general public who are quick to distance themselves from anything that might be pop or "cheesy"

It was cheesy but I truly understand and respect the sentiment behind it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I would have loved it if, like, O-Town cheerfully boarded the Enterprise for a concert then was stuck there during that whole Xindi expanse arc, losing members to bulkhead explosions and singing inoffensive pop rock to a constantly on-fire mess hall.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I really don't think anyone thought it was hip and/or cool just emotionally resonant with the imagery and purpose of the opening sequence.

It was just someone extremely non-cynical who genuinely enjoyed the music rather than the general public who are quick to distance themselves from anything that might be pop or "cheesy"

It was cheesy but I truly understand and respect the sentiment behind it.

:agreed: I feel like it makes a perfectly serviceable Star Trek tribute, like one of those clip shows you would play during an anniversary special or something.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pham Nuwen posted:

A few pages back but: you mean the warp core which is a literal real-world fusion reactor?

Yes? I don't know why a research reactor automatically has to make for a good set piece. The issue is similar to the brewery problem in ST09, the whole location just doesn't feel like a place that should be on the ship.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

vermin posted:

The number of fantasy comedy shows that came and went after LOTR is depressing. I can't even remember the name of one of them but I remember they existed.

Galavant was pretty good

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's true, faith of the heart is painfully earnest.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Zesty posted:

The species talks in memes.

Episode ruined.

Darmok, entering the hospital. Darmok, in conversations. Darmok, hesitating at Jalad's bedside.

...Jalad, moving past, and healing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's often tougher on Jalad.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Wow, I never realised how big the crash model was.

Apparently it's half the size the director wanted originally though.

That TMP-grade aztecing is so sweet.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

:agreed: I feel like it makes a perfectly serviceable Star Trek tribute, like one of those clip shows you would play during an anniversary special or something.

Who keeps letting Rick Berman alts in here?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
http://www.startrek.com/article/check-it-out-darmok-style-picard-uniform-jacket

Just in time to celebrate Jeb's viewing!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:gowron:

Why did you show me this?!
I must protect my latinum!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Don't buy from Anovos. They're aggressively terrible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure if the Tamarian language would actually make sense as a functioning language or not but it gets the episode's point across and that's what matters.

As for Enterprise as post-9/11 Trek, I remember reading that Trip Tucker was written as a kind of "young Dubya" but I haven't watched enough of Enterprise to say whether it checks out or not.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

As for Enterprise as post-9/11 Trek, I remember reading that Trip Tucker was written as a kind of "young Dubya" but I haven't watched enough of Enterprise to say whether it checks out or not.

Doesn't really make a lot of sense. Trip actually serves his time aboard the Enterprise.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Plus no turtleneck undershirt to complete the look.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Connor Trinneer definitely resembles a young Bush brother but there wasn't really any of that in the performance, at least not intentionally that I could tell. He's usually played as anything from a proto-Scotty/O'Brien space mechanic to a goofball skirt-chaser to a grief-stricken sadsack to a lovesick sadsack depending on which season you're in.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Realtalk: I never liked that jacket. Mostly just because of the shoulders.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Enterprise started out as The X-Files but Star Trek, and ended up trying to be Battlestar Galactica but Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol I forgot the scene where O'Brien demonstrates the proper way to vaporize yourself with the TNG style phaser.

Also wow, Starfleet doctors don't break out the anti- depressants until the patient has attempted suicide.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 14, 2017