Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The presence of full stationary is the decider. Anyone in an office who has the stationary background is awful. They'll spend more time planning how the cubes are going to be decorated for columbus day than actually remembering that you have to fill out the onboarding form for new hires and offboarding for that person who's retiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Also, who the hell are "The Christophers"?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I should have guessed.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

I should have guessed.

No, you should have googled :rimshot:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

I read that in Adriana's voice from the Sopranos.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Weatherman posted:

No, you should have googled :rimshot:

Daaaaad...

Krispy Kareem posted:

I read that in Adriana's voice from the Sopranos.

Christofuuuuhh...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

WrenP-Complete posted:

The Science Behind the Hoax: Can Masturbating College Freshmen Actually Clog a Shower Drain?
http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...g_a_shower.html

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladviceofftopic/comments/6z88pl/that_was_probably_not_jizz_on_ops_car/

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Holy poo poo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

That went places I wasn't expecting.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Ah but lots of proteins denature above 40c so the hot water in a shower could easily cause it to take on the texture of undercooked egg albumin, a much stickier and less soluble substance.

You people are amazing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm not sure why this it's in the BWM thread but jfc Reddit :stare:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Flask fucker got one-upped.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
That redditor is in denial, someone hosed his car because it was too sexy.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm continuing the plumbing/semen discussion derail in SAL, where it probably belongs. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3100175&pagenumber=536&perpage=40#post476346046

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

BarbarianElephant posted:

The mark of the witch.

Then why bother with the #stickandpoke?

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

An email signature like that tells me someone was above-average at using computers in the early 90s, when being able to change fonts/colors and insert pictures was more impressive. Most people learn whatever they're gonna learn when they're young and just keep doing things that way forever.

At the last place I worked, they specifically had to send out and email telling people that in order to present a professional appearance, they had to use the standard signature that was sent to everyone.

Too many middle-aged women in customer service with fancy rear end email signatures like the one posted.

Didn't work though. Still got at least one email a week from someone with a JFK quote or glittery American flag at the bottom.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My boss:

- Has a salary of ~106k per year.
- Has a 4-year old daughter that is on a traveling professional tumbling team that costs 18k per year and travels across the country to perform once a month.
- In addition to this team, she pays $75 per hour for 2 hours per week for one-on-one personal training tumbling sessions for her 4-year old.
- Her husband is a VP at a bank (although I have been told that this doesn't necessarily mean he is well-compensated, but he isn't poor.)

She is currently complaining about the mom of another kid on her daughter's tumbling team. The mom paid the 18k annual fee, but she is not bringing her daughter to the next event because it is a 4 hour drive away and the membership fee only covers travel to events if it requires a plane. The mom doesn't have the money/time to get off work on Friday to go or something.

Some quotes (roughly transcribed because she is talking fast):

quote:

I don't understand people who bail like that when other people are depending on you. It's not even about us. This is about the kids and how it is going to hurt them. You either invest in your kid and you care about them or you don't. You don't do it if you are going to half-rear end it. There have been times where I've taken out a new credit card to pay for Addison's tumbling. I took out a personal loan from my credit union because Trish (her Tumbling personal trainer) only takes cash.

Like, this is your child! I had to make a decision before where I was like, "Do I pay my mortgage late and just eat that fee or do I let Addison fall behind?" You pick your kid. Everytime. This woman is dragging all of our kids down now because she can't get a day off or pay for her trip? This poo poo costs us all more than $20,000 per year and she knows it. This isn't out of nowhere! She paid her membership, so she's got some money. But a long weekend and a road trip is too much? I don't understand people sometimes. You've got all these women smoking while they are pregnant, which is going to screw them before they are even born, but then they waste their kid's time and the time of everyone else by pulling this. These are critical years for building these skills and getting that reputation and she is trashing it for everyone.

It wouldn't bother me if she was just hurting her kid, but this pisses me off. You need the money? There's a thing called credit cards, honey. They've existed for years! Call in sick if you can't get off. There's a lot of ways you can give a poo poo about your daughter. She should try it sometime instead of sending a million emails with a million excuses. I don't want to hear it. I want you to explain it to the girls that you are screwing over.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Sometimes I really doubt your dedication to sparkle motion.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Bhodi posted:

sometimes i really doubt your dedication to sparkle motion

God drat it that's what I was going to say :(

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
yeah those "fancy" signatures are a pretty easy way to tell if somebody is completely retarded with computers and overcompensating for it. it's the electronics version of cartman gluing pubes to his face to pretend he's mature.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I'm gonna spend a quarter of my gross salary so my kid gets real good at forward rolls on a mat. My four year old kid. Who will remember gently caress all about this.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
How else are you going to raise them to be a miniature version of your failed dreams?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I love the idea of someone's failed dreams involving two hours a week of jumping over a vaulting horse

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This is probably GWM, but apparently her daughter's 18k fee still doesn't cover all of her tumbling expenses because she brings her daughter to work once a month and has her walk around and ask people if they want to buy donuts/wrapping paper/candy bars for her tumbling team's monthly event. We have a directive that bans employees selling anything in the office to other employees, but I guess the 4-year old is technically not an employee.

They charge $18 for a dozen glazed Krispy Kreme donuts delivered to your desk. I imagine that is a very good margin.

When I was a kid, we just had crappy magazine subscriptions and popcorn that nobody wanted.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I feel bad for kids with parents like that.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Fil5000 posted:

I love the idea of someone's failed dreams involving two hours a week of jumping over a quarter horse

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Xpost from the NYC thread:

Verisimilidude posted:

Tech guy: how about bodegas, but for rich bougie white people?

https://www.fastcompany.com/4046604...campaign=buffer

quote:

Paul McDonald, who spent 13 years as a product manager at Google, wants to make this corner store a thing of the past. Today, he is launching a new concept called Bodega with his cofounder Ashwath Rajan, another Google veteran. Bodega sets up five-foot-wide pantry boxes filled with non-perishable items you might pick up at a convenience store. An app will allow you to unlock the box and cameras powered with computer vision will register what you’ve picked up, automatically charging your credit card. The entire process happens without a person actually manning the “store.”

Aka the vending machine.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Half vending machine, half Automat.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This lady is the secretary for the highest ranking person in the department.

One of the secretaries at another one of our offices changes the font she uses in literally every email. I'd think it was some sort of randomizer Outlook plugin but I'm sure she actually just sits there trying different fonts until she settles on one and then goes through a list to make sure she hasn't used it recently. Your tax dollars at work.

SquirrelFace posted:

At the last place I worked, they specifically had to send out and email telling people that in order to present a professional appearance, they had to use the standard signature that was sent to everyone.

Too many middle-aged women in customer service with fancy rear end email signatures like the one posted.

Didn't work though. Still got at least one email a week from someone with a JFK quote or glittery American flag at the bottom.
Yeah we all have a boilerplate sig we have to use but people still throw in extra quotes and stuff. Plus people have gradually been figuring out how to change the little image tied to their Outlook account so every email I get from them has a different picture of their kid or a flower or whatever. I need to come up with a good rotation of my own, but also restrict it to just internal mail somehow.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 13, 2017

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

quote:

Like, this is your child! I had to make a decision before where I was like, "Do I pay my mortgage late and just eat that fee or do I let Addison fall behind?" You pick your kid. Everytime.
"Do I pick the choice to vicariously live through my child or do I develop responsible habits? You pick your vicarious dreams. Everytime."

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

This is how you min/max a rogue - need to be able to avoid those attacks of opportunity.

Edit for content: 11 investment ideas, from $11 to $11,000
http://hywd.info/11-investment-ideas.html

His ideas include:
- Getting an online MBA
- Building a 'content website' for which you should 'Pay a writer to write good high quality articles for the site - for 10 quality articles this may cost $200'
- "Ivesting in agribusiness"
- Literally recommends buying an existing dropship business that is already earning $$
- Invest in a brick-and-mortar store: "What can $500 - $10,000 buy you? A small store (renting the real estate), fast food shop, coffee-shop, atelier, or just anything that is small enough. If your have cash closer to the upper limit of $10,000 you may be able to even afford hiring someone to work at the store rather than doing the sales yourself (which would make it real investment rather than a new job)."
- Invest in coins!!!

Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 13, 2017

April
Jul 3, 2006

This is the good stuff:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6zqlbl/very_low_credit_score_in_debt_living/?st=j7j9d7rg&sh=f66cae79

quote:

Just got denied for a Personal Loan which is prompting this post. Throwaway for reasons.

Basically, my (TransUnion) credit score is 510. My Wife's is 596. I am basically the only income for our family of 3 (Me, Wife, 4 year old). We live in Pennsylvania and I make around $50k/year before taxes. I know we need to lower our expenses but we are behind in almost all of our bills and just can't seem to get ahead. I just got my credit reports. Most of the things on mine are Student Loans, with a few other accounts in collections and a few that have already been charged off. I have 3 credit cards that are maxed out.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my take home pay. ~$2200/mo.

Rent $725/mo
Gas ~$40/mo (will go up once it starts getting colder)
Electric ~$70/mo
Water ~$20/mo
Sewaqge ~$20/mo
Trash ~$20/mo
Cell Phone ~$200/mo (3 lines w/ T-Mobile ; Unlimited everything)
Car Payment $300/mo (~$6K left)
Car/Renters Insurance ~$130/mo (2 cars ; 1 still being financed)
Minimum CC Payments $95/mo (3 cards ; ~$1,500 TOTAL)
Parking (for work) $160/mo
Gas (car) ~$120/mo
Student Loans ~$260+/mo
Groceries ~$400/mo
Internet $50/mo (We do not have cable TV)
Misc. ~$40 (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Gym, etc.)

What can I do? I went on and Disputed all of the entries on my Credit Report other than the Credit Cards and Student Loans. I think that a Personal Loan to cover most of our debt other than the Student Loans may be a good idea but our scores were 4 points too low so the automated system automatically denied us.

At first glance, this isn't TERRIBLE, the phone bill is kinda high, and maybe some of the automotive expenses seem a bit heavy, but we've seen a lot worse. Then the OP starts telling us more....

quote:

It would be about $140 a month but financing 2 phones and some accessories brought it up to$200. I do not have T-Mobile One. I am on an older plan. Our child's iPad is also on the plan as the 3rd line.

*Note - the kid is 4 years old & requires unlimited data for her Ipad.

Oh, and his wife:

quote:

She technically "works" 3 days a week (under the table at a local family-owned diner) making ~$100/week. That money basically goes to her cigarettes and any misc. (convienience store) purchases so I don't add it in or concider it when I think of our income. I was thinking about maybe getting an over-night job at a gas station or fast food place. Me and my wife would have to talk about that one though.

quote:

I agree that my wife need to get a job, and I will have to have the conversation with her. She always comes back with "we will figure it out" and "we'll will be okay". I just have to put my foot down.

And my personal favorite:

quote:

The insurance and gas is for both cars, the parking is just for me when I go to work ($8/day that I work). If my Wife came to pick me up every night that would mean that our child would be forced to stay up until after midnight since my wife would have to bring her with her when she comes to get me.
I agree with the cooking part but my wife is not a good cook. She would not go for cooking every meal every day. I've had that discussion before. It is not happening. I do cook most of the meals and take left overs for lunch, though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Volmarias posted:

Xpost from the NYC thread:

Aka the vending machine.

Sorry, Bodega is officially GWM.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/13/bodega-raises-2-5m-to-build-a-smart-store-kiosk-in-your-apartment-building/

quote:

Bodega raises $2.5M to build a smart store kiosk in your apartment building on first day of fundraising

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I found a new one in the comments:

My benifits are expensive. Health insurance is ~$130/pay (not including dental, vision, life, disability, etc.). Plus 2 401K loans @ ~$50/pay and my week of purchased vacation (~$26/pay). I only put 5% into the 401K (what my employer matches). The rest is taxes (local, state, and federal).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
What the hell did he use the 401k loans for? I thought there was only a few things they would let you use it on. I know I looked into borrowing against my deferred comp but the loan terms ended up being like the equivalent of a lovely car loan compared to just getting a piggyback loan to avoid having to pay PMI on a mortgage.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

/r/bitcoin is in full-on meltdown mode today.

Someone asked Jamie Dimon if JPMorgan Chase had any plans to expand into cryptocurrency.

His answer caused Bitcoin prices to drop 11% in 15 minutes.

quote:

Do we have traders who trade it? If we had a trader who traded Bitcoin I’d fire them in a second. For two reasons: It’s against our rules, and they’re stupid.

quote:

I’m going to be really clear in this one. Forget the blockchain, that’s a technology… But… the currency isn’t going to work. You can’t have a business where people can invent a currency out of thin air and think the people buying it are really smart.

quote:

As a speculative trade? Maybe. As an actual currency or long-term investment? It’s worse than tulip bulbs, OK?

quote:

The only good argument I’ve ever heard for it — and there is one good one — there may be a market for it, particularly if Bitcoin can keep itself to 21 million coins, if you were in Venezuela, or Ecuador, or North Korea… or if you were a drug dealer or a murderer, you are better off dealing in Bitcoin than US dollars.

This is /r/bitcoin now:

(They should just sticky the top thread)

Bitcoiner's Thoughts:

quote:

FUD and scumbag bankers make me laugh. They are dinosaurs taking their last breath before the crypto revolution completely supplants them.

quote:

Why does a central bank need to set interest rates? Why cant I just say I want to loan someone some money for 10% and thats that? Bitcoin will give us freedom.

quote:

With Trump being POTUS and all the bankers in the administration, they can still do significant damage to bitcoin.
Remember not long ago there is a report that say Satoshi could be created by a 'state actor'? (https://medium.com/@amuse/how-the-nsa-caught-satoshi-nakamoto-868affcef595) Whoever they are, they are ramping up media attack and trying to destroy bitcoin before Trump's impeachment.

:irony:

quote:

Letting supply and demand solely determine interest rates is an interesting concept. We need to get everyone on board of a strong asset like bitcoin and stop people from making speculative investments that are prone to bubbles and manipulations. Take away the central control and let the people decide.

quote:

I think a bitcoin with some more regulation (to enable you to get large amounts out quickly and prevent scams) could do a lot of good for the adoption of crypto in general.

I laughed. You don't understand bitcoin. It's okay, for a long time people didn't understand internet either. All in due time.

quote:

Bitcoin’s association with crime and black markets is a huge mark FOR it.

quote:

This is just about adaptation. This is just a little bump. Do NOT let them demoralize you. Once it's adapted properly, it will be stable. Bitcoin is the most HONEST currency man has ever created, that is why I have full faith. Once China crises is over, you will see it reaching heights it never reached before. That is what bitcoin has always done. Try and not invest in it, I bet you will regret one day.

quote:

Next why trust the banking cartel head. His bank pushes a fiat currency that really rules this world right now. The US GOV is 21 trillion in debt with another 1 trillion added every 8 months. LET THAT SINK IN FOR A MOMENT. Japan is 7 trillion in debt. The Euro is so dysfunctional and in debt so is just a matter of time. Every country out there has some serious fiat issues, and they all seem like a house of cards to me. Bitcoin will be there to pick up the pieces at the funerals of the other currencies.

quote:

You know that the valuation of bitcoin is in USD, right? There would be no way to value BTC without the USD to base it on.

For now. Today, BTC is based on USD, but soon it will be the other way around. You can't keep trillions of dollars of cloth and imaginary numbers in a bank computer safe forever.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

quote:

For now. Today, BTC is based on USD, but soon it will be the other way around. You can't keep trillions of dollars of cloth and imaginary numbers in a bank computer safe forever.
Holy loving irony.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Bad With Money: Today, BTC is based on USD, but soon it will be the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Tomfoolery posted:

This is how you min/max a rogue - need to be able to avoid those attacks of opportunity.

Edit for content: 11 investment ideas, from $11 to $11,000
http://hywd.info/11-investment-ideas.html

His ideas include:
- Building a 'content website' for which you should 'Pay a writer to write good high quality articles for the site - for 10 quality articles this may cost $200'

Did you mention seeking alpha to this guy, you don't even need to make sense. Copy paste some available stats from google finance and pretend to reason while collecting $$$