Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

they actually open up an hour early on release days for whatever reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Vertigo posted:

Lord Hobo Glorious is simply that.

All of the LH releases are at least good, but they're all lesser versions of Consolation Prize IMO.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Partycat posted:

I got the case from the brewery but had to turn right around and drive back to a wedding - no tasting for me. If it is unusual that the bottling date from the brewery was that far back then ... Oh well.

Ah, I thought your originally meant you went from beer store to beer store buying up PtE wherever you could. It stinks that you didn't have more time north of the bay but glad you're enjoying yourself.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
We got some Fantome tapes here recently, are any of them worth buying? I remember lots of anecdotal claims about Fantome being super inconsistent and often terrible. Like flat and/or band-aid poo poo.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

Ah, I thought your originally meant you went from beer store to beer store buying up PtE wherever you could. It stinks that you didn't have more time north of the bay but glad you're enjoying yourself.

Yeah its just a lot of energy to do anything. I made it to Cellarmaker and grabbed 1 4pk each of double dobis and Mt nelson. That's all I can fit converting my carry on to checked. the zipper is kinda fucky so if TSA opens it ... Well we shall see. Pliney is safe in a wine check.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I also got some Tilquin Mure and Quetsch, I thought about getting a 750 of the Mure but restrained myself and got a little one instead. How good are these? Like, next time it comes here should I stock up wildly? I tried the regular gueuze years ago and liked it and I was like oh these fruit things look fun but I don't feel like drinking them right now to see for myself. I bought a ton of IPAs and had to cut back on my beer spending you see, but then because I hate money I decided to start buying a bunch of sours and other things that can be stored for a long time instead.

Partycat posted:

Yeah its just a lot of energy to do anything. I made it to Cellarmaker and grabbed 1 4pk each of double dobis and Mt nelson. That's all I can fit converting my carry on to checked. the zipper is kinda fucky so if TSA opens it ... Well we shall see. Pliney is safe in a wine check.

TSA won't destroy your beer just because it's beer, it's okay to have in your checked bag. Unless you mean that maybe they won't be able to close the zipper after opening it, then okay you can worry.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

krustster posted:

I also got some Tilquin Mure and Quetsch, I thought about getting a 750 of the Mure but restrained myself and got a little one instead. How good are these? Like, next time it comes here should I stock up wildly?

Awful. Send them all to me. And all the House again. Thanks.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

krustster posted:

We got some Fantome tapes here recently, are any of them worth buying? I remember lots of anecdotal claims about Fantome being super inconsistent and often terrible. Like flat and/or band-aid poo poo.

I have yet to have a good Fantome beer over the years but people seem to like them (seemingly a lot more since dontdrinkbeer took off)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

dphi posted:

I have yet to have a good Fantome beer over the years but people seem to like them (seemingly a lot more since dontdrinkbeer took off)

Blaugies is a better brewery.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

krustster posted:

I also got some Tilquin Mure and Quetsch, I thought about getting a 750 of the Mure but restrained myself and got a little one instead. How good are these? Like, next time it comes here should I stock up wildly? I tried the regular gueuze years ago and liked it and I was like oh these fruit things look fun but I don't feel like drinking them right now to see for myself. I bought a ton of IPAs and had to cut back on my beer spending you see, but then because I hate money I decided to start buying a bunch of sours and other things that can be stored for a long time instead.

TSA won't destroy your beer just because it's beer, it's okay to have in your checked bag. Unless you mean that maybe they won't be able to close the zipper after opening it, then okay you can worry.

Yeah you gotta jiggle it around to close it completely otherwise some of the teeth won't bind. If they get it mostly closed or throw some tape on it good enough, it was cheap poo poo and if it gets trashed then it does.

I'm assuming that they will open it since it will look like a thing outta die hard with the liquid chambers but maybe they wont.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

krustster posted:

I also got some Tilquin Mure and Quetsch, I thought about getting a 750 of the Mure but restrained myself and got a little one instead. How good are these? Like, next time it comes here should I stock up wildly?

Regular quetsche is fantastic, buy literally all of it. It's better than most cantillon.

Prunes de namur quetsche is a pass for me. It's way too sour and way less fruit.

E: local pub put trillium/omnipollo covered in puppies on tap today. poo poo is delicious.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 13, 2017

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

krustster posted:

There are better breweries that don't have their shocking consistency issues.

edit: Anyone know a good site that will ship Tilquin to the UK? May have gotten a wee bit of a taste for it.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 13, 2017

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

pre-2012 Fantome was loving amazing. Then something happened and the house microflora got hosed up. Everything from around 2012 to 2013 was seriously bad. Things started getting better again after that period but they're not back up to where they were previously. That said, Pissenlit is still an awesome beer. I buy Fantome whenever I see them because every one I've had (with the exception of the aforementioned dark times) has been good to great. And they're usually pretty cheap. I picked up my last few bottles of Pissenlit for $12

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Fantome's quality issues are well in the past, so unless those bottles are >3-4 years old then they're fine. And all certainly worth trying once (regular Saison, Pissenlit, & Brise Bon-bons in particular)

The recent batches of regular Fantome Saison have been extremely good.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

nosleep posted:

had Jack's Abby cranberry berliner which was really good

One of my favs, cool to see they're canning it this year too, I think last year it was draft/bottles only and not super available. Glad to hear you had a good trip we have some pretty sweet beers.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Fantome Magic Ghost is the only acceptable St Patrick's Day beer

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Papa John Misty posted:

Vertignasse is also acceptable

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Looks like Lord Hobo is distributing to Ohio starting this week. What's good from them?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Random oddball request, are there any bars (or breweries I guess but I'd rather have variety) in the Phoenix area that consistently have a good number of sours available? Trying to line something up for a buddy.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Papa John Misty posted:

I just got 3 bottles of this to throw in the cellar. I love opening really old Fantome bottles.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

krustster posted:

TSA won't destroy your beer just because it's beer, it's okay to have in your checked bag.

TSA opened up a taped-up growler of mine and didn't screw the lid back on which meant the half-assed reapplied tape was the only thing holding it together so of course all 64 ounces of AZW grapefruit gose spilled in my luggage.

gently caress the entire TSA.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 13, 2017

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Mahoning posted:

Looks like Lord Hobo is distributing to Ohio starting this week. What's good from them?

talktapes posted:

All of the LH releases are at least good, but they're all lesser versions of Consolation Prize IMO.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Glorious is pretty drat good, ^^^Consolation Prize is easily actually 1st place^^^

hobo life is a medium tier session, skip boom sauce unless it's much better than it was a year or two ago

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I had some month old LH stuff and thought consolation prize sucked and hobo life was good as hell for something canned.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Honestly, if any Lord Hobo stuff is fresh, it's worth drinking once I guess. You probably won't return to it.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Spuckuk posted:

There are better breweries that don't have their shocking consistency issues.

edit: Anyone know a good site that will ship Tilquin to the UK? May have gotten a wee bit of a taste for it.

Kinda convoluted since you need someone to pick it up in person and ship to you, but the Norwegian vinmonopolet usually has it in stock. One of the most consistent sources and even with shipping it's cheap.

E: https://www.vinmonopolet.no/vmpSite/search/?q=Tilquin+

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm giving away a bottle of 3F Hommage bottled on 12/20/16 that I picked up at the brewery during the most recent Open Beer Days event. Instead of pure chance, I'm asking you guys to pick the lucky individual here. General requirements are people that have posted a fair amount here, etc.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Voted Midorka

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

I knew I forgot something; I can send him a months old can of Monkish.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

This is a good idea.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HatfulOfHollow posted:

This is a good idea.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

only if you take the label off and put it on a bottle of Mad Elf

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Lyon posted:

Random oddball request, are there any bars (or breweries I guess but I'd rather have variety) in the Phoenix area that consistently have a good number of sours available? Trying to line something up for a buddy.

A lot of the bars just carry what ever. I just got back from Arizona Wilderness though and they had at least 3-5 sours available. Check tap hunter for specific bars to see what they have. Good luck.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Phanatic posted:

TSA opened up a taped-up growler of mine and didn't screw the lid back on which meant the half-assed reapplied tape was the only thing holding it together so of course all 64 ounces of AZW grapefruit gose spilled in my luggage.

gently caress the entire TSA.

They ended up ignoring the suitcase with the beer cans actually. They opened the wine case (or someone did - no TSA card) and pulled a bottle to look and mostly put it back. Came back alright minus the luggage lock which was missing. Did okay.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

funkybottoms posted:

only if you take the label off and put it on a bottle of Mad Elf

lol

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Klaus Kinski posted:

Kinda convoluted since you need someone to pick it up in person and ship to you, but the Norwegian vinmonopolet usually has it in stock. One of the most consistent sources and even with shipping it's cheap.

E: https://www.vinmonopolet.no/vmpSite/search/?q=Tilquin+

I..actually have a good friend in Oslo, hmm..

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Spuckuk posted:

I..actually have a good friend in Oslo, hmm..

Any ideas about UK webshops where I can get some cloudwater or kernel shipped to Sweden?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

air- posted:

Trillium since you're around that area. But you are on the right track and you should find whatever other local brewery/brewpub is constantly putting out batches.

And I know this is supposed to go nationwide and apparently it's not bad: http://www.epicbrewing.com/news-and-events/item/8880-praise-the-hazy

I had a can of this last night and it was...just OK. Keep your eyes open for Critical Band from Modern Times if they distribute in your area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Are any of the breweries in Temecula worth a visit? I'm pondering a day or two there - mostly for wineries, but beer stops are always welcome. Especially badass bars also accepted.

From the little research I've done it seems like most restaurants there don't bother micro any more local than Karl Strauss or Modern Times, which worries me a bit about the more-local stuff's quality.

e: now that I think about it I visited Ironfire last year. I thought they were okay.