Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Even the author of The Kings Quest companion hated Cedric's guts. In the novelization for this game, Graham is way more terse and impatient towards him from the word go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mikl posted:

Oh my god, Cedric gives Graham the fingerguns :allears:

I'm all in for this trainwreck, let's go!

I desperately need a gif of finger guns Graham for posting purposes.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
W.I.T wouldn't have put up with Mordack's nonsense, just another way in which Quest for Glory is the superior adventure.

But King's Quest V was my introduction to the series as well. It just appeared on the hard drive one day in 1990 and a seven-year old had no chance against it. Fortunately, this was before it was voice-acted, but I never got any farther than finding the first town, which I think is two screens away from where you start. Cover art be damned, this was not an adventure for children.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

raifield posted:

W.I.T wouldn't have put up with Mordack's nonsense, just another way in which Quest for Glory is the superior adventure.

But King's Quest V was my introduction to the series as well. It just appeared on the hard drive one day in 1990 and a seven-year old had no chance against it. Fortunately, this was before it was voice-acted, but I never got any farther than finding the first town, which I think is two screens away from where you start. Cover art be damned, this was not an adventure for children.

Didn't they put up with Ad Avis?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Hello everyone and welcome back to King's Quest V. There's quite a lot to do today, so let's not waste any time. First off, Crispin gave us a wand last time in the intro. So let's take a look at that.

: The old wand doesn't seem to have any vitality left in it.

Anyway, the game is more or less divided into three sections. The first section takes place here in Serenia, and it's the usual King's Quest fare where we wander around, talk to people, and try to work out just what Roberta Williams was thinking. This first section of the game is also laid out in a 4x3 grid of screens. We're in the top right corner, and we can leave south or west.

south

: Graham watch out! A pooooisonous snake!

Thankfully the warning only plays once.

snake

: A large, venomous snake blocks Graham's passage to the east.

snake

: Sssssstaaaayyyyy awaaaaayyyy. Thissss is myyyyy paaaaath.

snake

: In silence, the large serpent eyes Graham menacingly.

So let's start this LP off the right way.

snake

: That wasn't wise, Graham. He who speaks with forked tongues should never be trusted.

I dunno, it seems pretty legit to me. He warned us to stay away, and when we violated his personal space he killed us.

Getting this snake to move is going to be our major goal for the first part of the game. Everything we do here in Serenia will either be in service of getting him to move, or surviving in the area beyond.

We can also talk to Cedric for directions, though his usefulness is limited to the civilized parts of Serenia.

cedric

: See how the path goes to the east up into the mountains? That's the rooooute to Mordack's castle.
: Ooooh If you follow the path to the south over the next rise yoooou'll come to the town.

Even on the twelve screens that make up this part of Serenia, he only gives directions on, at best, six of them.

south

The perspective on this screen is a tad weird. Cedric is those six pixels just under the walk cursor. So let's look around the screen some.

water wheel

: A small tributary of the larger river powers an old waterwheel as it flows through the town.

cow

: Secure within a small pen, a pretty cow quietly chews her cud.

cow

: Come on, Graham! Don't waste your time with that cow!

cow

: Unfortunately, the cow doesn't have anything to say. Her mouth is too full of cud.

The fixation on the cow's cud is kind of weird.

cedric

: Ooooh if you follow this path along the river, yoooou'll come to the town bakehouse. You might find something delicious... I mean uuuuseful there.

Right. Cedric is apparently hungry for baked goods. So let's let him stew for a bit and go explore the town.

town

: If you're going into town I'll wait for you here. I had a nasty run-in with a dog once and I'd feel much safer out here.

King's Quest V - Town Theme
King's Quest V - Town Theme (midi)

For maximum effect, be sure to start it off loud and then gradually increase the volume as you listen to it. This game's soundtrack, with only a couple of exceptions, is very good. This is one of those exceptions. The top link is a lot more classy sounding than the bottom one, which is... uh... well, Manfred Mann put it best.

"Blinded by the Light posted:

With a boulder on my shoulder
Feelin' kinda older
I tripped the merry-go-round

With this very unpleasin'
Sneezin' and wheezin'
The calliope crashed to the ground

What is with these godawful perspectives? When I was a kid, I mistook the birch tree on the far right side of town as a dirt path leading off to the east.

Anyway, we can talk to most of the people here in town, but they are just random NPCs without portraits. I don't really feel like making a bunch for people who are so unimportant that they don't exist in other versions of the game.

There's a man next to the broken cart. He's just above the woman in the red dress. Let's talk to him

: How goes it with you, good fellow?
: Not well, I'm afraid. This old wagon's always giving me trouble.
: Can I help you in any way?
: Thank you kindly, but I think I can handle it.
: All right then. Good luck.
: Thanks. With this wagon, I'm gonna need it.

man

: No need to help me, sir. I think I can fix the wagon. Thanks anyway.

We'll just leave him to that and continue to explore the town instead. Let's go in the closest door to Graham.

King's Quest V - Shop Theme

The video link says "Tailor Shop" but the same tune plays in every shop in the game. It's a much better, more understated version of the town theme.

: May I help you, sir?

The cloak over in the corner sticks out like a sore thumb. So let's take a look at it.

cloak

: In the corner of the shop, draped casually over a tailor's form, Graham sees a thick, fur-lined cloak.

half-naked man

: At the back of the shop, Graham notices a dressing room in which a finicky customer tries on, and rudely rejects, many items of fine clothing.

There's something like eleven things this guy can randomly shout while you're in the shop.

: I don't like THIS at all!
: You expect me to wear THIS!
: Why, these trousers don't even fit!
: This shirt's too tight in the shoulders!
: This isn't my style at all!
: Take these back. I don't like any of them.
: The sleeves aren't long enough!
: "This material's too thin. I like something thicker.
: How am I supposed to get my boots on over these trousers?
: This tie isn't the right color.
: Here, take this. Let me try on another one.

There comes a point where you just need to fire the customer.

tailor

: I'm interested in buying something here.
: Ah! Let me show you some things.

: A fine piece of cloth. With this material I could make you beautiful shirts. There isn't a more beautiful piece of fabric to be found anywhere! With this, I could make you the finest trousers you've ever had. Well, what do you think?
: Well, right now I'm just looking. Thanks anyway.
: Sure, sure. Whatever you say. I'm just here to help.

tailor

: Not wishing to be put through another speech about fine shirts and trousers, Graham wisely keeps his mouth shut.

cloak

: Here. Let me help you with that. Oh, that cloak fits you PERFECTLY! It just looks WONDERFUL on you! Let me tell you... it will certainly keep you toasty warm during the coming winter. Let me know if you wish to buy it.

We can't do anything here yet. So let's just move on. We can't do anything in any of the three shops yet. No points for guessing that we'll need that cloak.

Into the second shop!

: Come on in! Look around! Let me know if you're interested in anything.

Like before, the item we need from in here is instantly obvious. Let's take a look around like the nice toy maker guy said.

girl

: he little girl is too interested in her doll. She pays no attention to Graham.

Fair enough. Let's just talk to the toy maker instead.

: This is a fine little toyshop you have here. You must be very proud.
: Danke, son. I've worked very hard at it over the yars. But you know, you need to really love it... und I do.
: Are most of these toys your creations?
: Ja, most of them. But not all. Some my son made, some I bought, some I traded for.
: You're very talented.
: Danke, danke. Well, let me know if I can help you.

I get the impression this jolly toy maker is German, or perhaps Dutch?

sled

: Hanging on a side wall, Graham notices a strong little sled.

sled

: That's a fine sled, isn't it? Any child would love to have it.
: Yes. I was just admiring the workmanship.
: Danke. If you'd like to buy it, let me know.

Occasionally the door in the back of the toy shop opens and the man back there talks to the toy maker.

: The shipment of carving wood hasn't come in yet. What should we do?
: If it's not in by tomorrow I'll send you to visit the sawmill.
: Okay, Papa.

: Papa, where did you put those new doll clothes Mama made?
: Look in the trunk upstairs. I think I put them there.
: I'll do that.

: Papa, Mama wants you to know that it's almost lunchtime.
: Okay, son. Tell her I'll be in soon.

: I'm going to count up the cash receipts from yesterday, okay?
: That's a good idea, son.

: Is Katrina behaving herself, Papa?
: She's fine, son. I've got my eye on her.
: Okay, but let me know if she's bothering you.

: Papa, where is the puppet string?
: Hmmmm. I think it's in the small cupboard. Look there.

: Papa, don't forget Mr. Richards is coming by tomorrow to pick up the wagon for his son.
: I haven't forgotten. It's all ready to go.

Until I looked at this transcription online, I never realized that a character you may never see has this much dialogue. You technically don't have to walk into the shops until you're ready to get the items you need.

Occasionally the little girl will talk too.

: Grandpapa?
: Ja, mine darling?
: Can I keep this doll? I really like her.
: Now, Katrina. You know these toys are for sale for other kinder. Besides, you've got plenty of dolls. You can play mit her, but just be careful.
: All right, Grandpapa. I'll take care of her.

And that's enough of this place for a long time. If it gets any more saccharine in here I'm going to get tooth decay.

Thankfully there's only one more place in town to check out. No optional dialogue, either. So this will be both short and sweet.

: Take a look around if you want, but we don't have any shoes to sell you right now. We sold our last finished pair yesterday. Our business ain't doin' so good anymore and we're gettin' too old to keep tryin'.
: Is there anything I can do to help?
: There ain't nothin' you can do short o' buyin' us out. But, like I said, if you want to look around, feel free.
: Okay, thanks.

I admittedly don't own my own business selling shoes, but telling a random stranger who walks in to the shop that your business is failing doesn't sound like a great idea.

old woman

: You don't have any shoes for sale, huh?
: That's right. No shoes at all. We're makin' a pair right now, but it'll take awhile...we're not as fast as we used to be.
: Well, that's okay. My trusty boots should carry me through the rest of my journey.
: Sorry, son. We're doin' the best we can.

Honestly, these two are some of the weaker, more forgettable characters in the game. Compared to even the other shopkeepers in town, this pair are flat and boring. At best, they're just a cheap attempt at pathos. The poor fisherman and his wife in the previous game did the same thing a whole hell of a lot better and they were so one dimensional that you can see the eraser marks on the notebook paper around them.

dog

: This old dog doesn't look very appealing to Graham.

0/10 poo poo game. Can't pet the dog, so gently caress this entirely. <:mad:>

I'm going to post this image again to point out that there are two items to pick up on this screen. If you haven't played in a long time, or have never played, try to work out where they are. We'll be back for them in a bit.

But first, there's a death I can only show off if I don't loot the town.

west

This is the town bakehouse. We'll be back here a few more times later in the game. Right now, it's just a crossroads.

west

This is the inn. We can't do anything here for a while yet.

west

King's Quest V - The Beehive

This MT-32 soundtrack makes the game sound a lot more classy. Sadly, I can't find many midi tracks on youtube. In the midi version, I would say this track is the other not-so-great one. It's a somewhat high pitched droning tone. It's extremely annoying to listen to. Anyway, this is our destination.

: Ooooh Stay away from those bees!

So like I was saying in town, there's a death you can only show off if you don't get a specific item from there first. King's Quest V uses a lot of item-based event flags, and this is the first such one in the game. To be honest, I didn't even realize you could do this until I was preparing to record for this LP.

tree

: That wasn't a smart move, Graham. BEE seeing you.

Alright, so now we're back here. Have you had time to think about where the two items we need are? Need a hint?

Yep. That single white pixel is something we can take.

: Bending down, Graham quickly retrieves the silver coin from the street.

The other item we need is in the barrel that looks like some background scenery.

barrel

: Inside the old barrel, Graham sees an old, rotting fish. Graham leans way down into the barrel and removes... phew... the smelly old fish.

We're back here at the bakehouse again. Just one more death to show off in this update. We can actually do this on any screen with the river, but the message is the same each time.

river

: No Graham! Don't!

: Too bad. Graham's swimming skills were no match for the mighty river.

This is going to be a pattern with Cedric. He has an extremely unfortunate habit of not trying to "help" until you're already dead.

NEXT TIME: We're going to explore Serenia

List of Points

+2 - Pixel Hunt 1 (Silver Coin)
+2 - Guessing you can look in the barrel

Total

4/260

Register of Deaths

A pooooisonous snake!
Not BEEing careful
Swimming in a river

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Maybe Cedric is secretly Mordack's familiar and Crispin's just too senile to remember it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Bloops Crusts posted:

Didn't they put up with Ad Avis?

my impression is Ad Avis that he wasn't part of WIT (and that he only tipped his hand relatively recently), unlike another QfG villain who not only was expelled but requesting their sponsorship in the remake causes the Hero to get teleported into a situation where he can't survive.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I like how Cedric says "pooooisonous" but then the narrator says "venomous" as if just to emphasise that Cedric got it wrong.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Robindaybird posted:

my impression is Ad Avis that he wasn't part of WIT (and that he only tipped his hand relatively recently), unlike another QfG villain who not only was expelled but requesting their sponsorship in the remake causes the Hero to get teleported into a situation where he can't survive.

I thought you could ask for him to be your sponsor, and he would refuse you. Could be wrong though.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
To be slightly fairer about the "pixel hunt" nature of the silver coin, it does glint fairly frequently to draw your attention, so it's not as difficult to spot as the still frame makes it seem to be.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bloops Crusts posted:

I thought you could ask for him to be your sponsor, and he would refuse you. Could be wrong though.

Ad Avis will refuse you.

"another QfG villain who was expelled" will accept you in the remake, leading to a death.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Also,

Nidoking posted:

I still prefer this one to II, marginally. II was pretty much "hastily churned-out sequel that didn't understand the appeal of the original enough to supplement it or stand out in its own right" before that became an adventure game standard. As much as people tend to complain about certain puzzles in V, I maintain that they're all more sensible than bridle-snake, and the sheer ridiculousness of "there are just three doors in this screen that you have to open in order, and reading them makes random things happen that get you the keys" is beyond almost anything else in the series, at least until we get to VII. I'm not going to argue that V isn't pretty bad in a lot of ways, but I think "worst by a wide margin" is a gross exaggeration.

I also don't think it's possible to complete this game with fewer than the full 260 points. If it is, I'll be interested to see how.

I agree. KQ5 is better than KQ2.

KQ6 and KQ3 are the best, with KQ1, KQ4, and KQ7 rounding out the middle of the pack. (I rank KQ4 pretty closely behind KQ3, and I've got a soft spot for KQ7.)

KQ2 and KQ5 are the worst of the series, in my opinion. But KQ5 has virtues to its merit: fantastic artwork, a decent soundtrack, and a plot that advances the overall storyline of the series and dovetails wonderfully into KQ6.

(You can say a lot of things about the King's Quest series, but one thing you can't fault it on is the cohesiveness of its overall story. Each game builds on the narrative foundations laid down by the previous games and moves the plot forward in a coherent way. KQ1 establishes Graham, Daventry, and critical plot devices such as the Magic Mirror. KQ3 establishes Alexander, Rosella, and the wizard Manannan. KQ4 establishes Edgar and the fae (fairies).

In this context, KQ5 is all-important, because it cements the narrative throughline from the earliest games in the series to the later games. It doesn't fail in that task, either. Furthermore, not only is it the glue that connects the back-end of the franchise with the front-end, it also plants its own seeds and lays the foundations for KQ6 -- and it does it exceptionally well. For all the shortcomings of its game design and puzzles, the series would be worse off without it.

KQ2, on the other hand, has no such merits. It's a weak, cookie-cutter sequel that's utterly forgettable in every respect, has very little connection to the overall storyline, and has some atrocious puzzles in its own right. That makes it the worst, at least in my book.)

Bloops Crusts fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 13, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

from a technical and story stand point KQ2 is the worst but it's forgettable because it's such a nothing of a game outside of a couple puzzles, KQ5 stands out because the puzzles and Cedric are full of bad logic

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015

DoubleNegative posted:

: Graham watch out! A pooooisonous snake!

: A large, venomous snake blocks Graham's passage to the east.

: That wasn't wise, Graham. He who speaks with forked tongues should never be trusted.

I dunno, it seems pretty legit to me. He warned us to stay away, and when we violated his personal space he killed us.

I think the narrator might be warning about the nature of our owl friend rather than the snake. I would totally have made an antidote item (for poison) but since it is a venomous snake it would do nothing..

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Nidoking posted:

To be slightly fairer about the "pixel hunt" nature of the silver coin, it does glint fairly frequently to draw your attention, so it's not as difficult to spot as the still frame makes it seem to be.

Am I the only one who thought that it stood out like a sore thumb? The barrel, not so much, but the coin might as well have had an arrow pointing to it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Yeah, the barrel's way more unfair because it looks like straight up background decoration.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
There's only one canon ending for Cedrick, points be damned :colbert:

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, the barrel's way more unfair

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

IIRC Sega's tip line started giving that one out for free eventually. "If you're calling about the barrel in Carnival Night Zone, Act 2, you need to press and hold up on the D-pad"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You'd think Graham would have gone walking with some money in his pockets.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Glazius posted:

You'd think Graham would have gone walking with some money in his pockets.

Why? Dude's King. He's just off for a constitutional in the woods, then returning to his warlord fortress. Maybe take a flask of water/wine, some bread or cheese.

Plus the ability to pull gold from thin air has caused ridiculous inflation; he'd need a wheelbarrow to buy anything.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
The NES version has the death message for getting killed by the poiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisonous snake as the rather boring "Watch out for critters, Graham." A lot less fun than "That wasn't wise, Graham! He who speaks with forked tongue should never be trusted!"

If I remember right, I think there's at least one place in the game where the narrator talks directly to you instead of in the third person about Graham, and there's one place later where the narrator actually talks to Graham (Graham's way too busy to get into a Roger Wilco-style argument with him at that time, though.)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

raifield posted:

W.I.T. had Ad Avis as an official member (he'd refuse you if you asked him to sponsor you, but he WAS an accepted member in good standing at the institute) and treated the destruction of Shapeir as a mere inconvenience. Compared to some of the stuff Ad Avis pulled in Raseir, Mordack's relatively harmless...a couple of kidnapping charges, some of which he has a plausible reason for, nothing compared to turning an entire metropolis into a totalitarian dystopia and trying to completely destroy its twin city. W.I.T. would totally have put up with Mordack. They're not really bothered by any stuff that doesn't affect them personally.

Richard Aronson, the guy who voiced Cedric, is actually a pretty swell guy. I imagine he was totally aware of how annoying the character he voiced was, seeing that he was more than willing to reprise his role in the King's Quest 2 remake, which poked fun at Cedric.

The toymaker's accent is German, btw.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 14, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone, and welcome back to King's Quest V. You know, normally this screen isn't lingered on this much. We could technically spend our silver coin right now, but I've had quite enough of that shop theme for a while. So we'll hold onto it for now. This will also let me show off a line of optional dialogue later on and do some more complaining.

The reason I started here again was to let Cedric continue to play tour guide for as long as he's able.

: See the road there? Back to the east is the town. Yoooou'll find a run-down inn if you follow the road to the west.

Anyway, we're going to follow the path behind the bakehouse.

north

man

: Upon a fallen log sits a dashing young prince who looks very sad and confused.

bird

: What a wonderful bluebird. It could almost make Graham happy again if it wasn't for his family.

That's kind of needlessly over-dramatic. I know Graham is looking for his family, but nothing so far has given the impression he was depressed over the whole thing. I read Graham as full of resolve and determination.

cedric

: Let's say 'helloooo' to the young prince, Graham. He looks like he could uuuuse a good cheering up.

Part of me wants to disagree with Cedric on basic principle of the matter, but we might be able to help this young prince regardless. I guess it wouldn't hurt just to talk to him...

prince

: Graham squeezes his eyes shut and addresses the young man.

No, really.

: Uh... excuse me, young man. Sorry to bother you, but I couldn't help but notice you sitting there on that log. I was wondering if there was anything wrong.
: Why, yes... as a matter of fact, there is. I've been searching everywhere for my fiancee. She's a beautiful princess with long golden tresses, fetching blue eyes, and smooth, creamy skin. Have you seen her anywhere about?
: No, sorry. I haven't seen anyone like that.
: That's what I figured. No one has seen her. I think that old witch who lives in the Dark Forest had something to do with her disappearance.
: I'll keep an eye out for her. If I see her I'll let her know you're looking for her.
: I would appreciate that. Well, I guess I'd better get back to looking for her. I'm not ever going to find her just sitting around here. Thanks for your concern.

cedric

: If you walk to the south you'll run into the town bakehouse.
: Graham massages his forehead as he responds.
: Thanks, Cedric. That's real helpful. Do you perhaps know of somewhere we haven't been yet?

: Ooooh, well there's nothing but a dark, scary forest to the north.
: Sounds great. Let's go.
: But...
: Bye Cedric!

north

King's Quest V - Dark Forest

Looks inviting.

cedric

: Cedric perches nervously on a tree limb at the edge of a gloomy forest.
: In a pleading voice, he makes a suggestion to Graham.
: Back to the east is Crispin's house...

Well what the hell, let's go in.

forest

: Ooooh, no! Ooooh I'M not going in there! Can't you read the sign?
: Come on, Cedric. There might be something important in here.
: Goooo if you want to. I'll wait HERE!

The game gives us some points on entering. If you were playing for the first time, this might be a hint that you were on the right track. Nope.

This is the witch that lives in the Dark Forest, because of course there is one. If you walk in here before you're supposed to, she'll kill you, with no way to prevent it. The ball of magic turns you into a frog.

I'd show a gif of the process, but the foreground hides Graham, sadly.

: That old witch caught Graham toad-ally off guard.

:allears: That was worth it just for the pun.

Well, the sign WAS right. Guess I can't fault it for telling the truth. Let's just continue to explore.

west

King's Quest V - The Weeping Willow

I mentioned in previous updates that for the most part the soundtrack was amazing. I also had two examples of really bad tracks from it. How about, then, what is probably the best one?

tree

: A graceful weeping willow tree grows beside a small pond created from... her tears? In her branch-like arms she clutches a beautiful harp as a child would a cherished toy.

tree

: Uh, Miss... Willow?
: Yes?
: You can talk?
: Why, of COURSE I can! What did you expect?
: Well, I've never seen a talking tree before. What's wrong?
: Everything's wrong! Can't you tell? I'm not really a tree... I'm really a princess. You see, my fiancé and I were walking through this wood when a nasty old witch came along and was instantly charmed by my handsome prince. When he naturally refused her advances, she jealously banished him to a faraway land and turned me into a tree. Then she stole my heart!
: Stole your heart?
: Yes. She turned my heart to gold and took it away with her. The only way I can become human again is to have my heart brought back. Now all I have to cheer me up is my harp. It's quite magical, you know. It plays the sweetest music you've ever heard. Now please! Leave me alone in my sorrow.

tree

: Please, don't bother me anymore. Let me weep in peace.

pond

: *chokes and coughs*
: What's wrong Graham?
: That's salt water, blech!

cedric

: Ohhh what a sad song she plays. Let's try to cheer her up, Graham.
: How will I find this heart of mine
: Taken from me for some time
: Here I stand in my pool of tears
: Here I'll stay throughout the years

This is obviously the princess we were just told about. What's kind of frustrating is if you approach this encounter the other way around, you can't tell Herbert, the prince, about this willow princess.

Well, nothing we can do here for a while yet. So let's just move on.

south

King's Quest V - the Gnomes

young gnome

: Sitting on a stool in front of his house, a young gnome happily plays with an exquisite marionette.

older gnome

: An old grandfather gnome sits contentedly on an old stump and smokes a large pipe. He watches his grandson at play. The old gnome seems to be trying to ignore Graham.

Let's make friends.

older gnome

: Excuse me, sir...
: What're YOU doin' here? Don't you know this is private property?
: Oh! I'm terribly sorry to bother you. I was just noticing your son's marionette. It's very interesting. Where did you get it?
: It's grandson, not son... and I made it fer him. Why d'ya care?
: I just wanted to comment on its artistry. It's very well done. I don't suppose it could be bought?
: If it could, the price would be very steep; I reckon you couldn't afford it. Now... leave me and my grandson be!

Rude.

south

We're back here at the inn. We're slowly winding our way across Serenia.

cedric

: Ohhhh there's nothing to the west but endless desert.

Sounds like a good time. Let's see what we can find in the inn.

door

: Ohhhh I'll wait for you out here. I don't like that place.

King's Quest V - The Inn

: You know dat job we pulled yesterday? Where's da rest of da loot... huh? I t'ink one o' you guys is holdin' out on me!
: Gentlemen, please excuse me. I didn't mean to interrupt your...

: Da inn's full. Ain't got no more rooms.
: Hey, boss! Dis guy looks like a real troublemaker! Whaddya want me ta do wid 'im?
: Rub 'im out!

Fat, black greasy hair, ugly goatee, talks like an rear end in a top hat, runs a lovely hotel... I think I used to work for this guy.

Yep, definitely my old boss.

Like the forest before it, the inn is another death trap for a while yet. This one is infamous for a reason we'll get to eventually. So just sit tight and I'll cover it then.

: Struggle as he might, Graham cannot escape his bonds.

: Don't worry Graham, the innkeeper will soon put you out of your misery.

Right. So let's pretend we didn't and instead head back over to the bee tree.

west

: Ooooh watch out for the bear, Graham!

bear

: The bear is too intent on the honey to listen to Graham.
: Larva.
: What?
Grubs. The bear is after the bee's larvae, not the honey.
: Nobody likes a pedant, Graham.
: :( Why do my narrators keep saying that to me?

Let's see if we can squeeze past him.

bearpunch.gif is right up there with dramaticburgerbite.gif.

: Tisk tisk. Graham should know better than to feed the bears.

This bear doesn't appear until we pick up the decaying fish from town. Also, he seems to be hungry, so...

: Whew! This smelly old fish is disgusting!
: It is but a common silver coin.

bear

: I am Queen Beatrice, kind sir. I wish to thank you ever so much for saving our hive from the claws of that horrible bear. In return, I offer you a luscious honeycomb from our hive. Please feel free to retrieve one. I promise my bees won't harm you. It may come in handy on your travels.

After 3 full games away from them, I had started missing the puns. Now that they're back, I kinda wish they would go away again. You might say I have a love-hate relationship with them.

tree

: Graham reaches a hand into the beehive and retrieves a very sticky chunk of honeycomb. Wrapping it in a protective piece of cloth, he then pockets it.

While we're here...

stick

: Graham bends down and picks up the large stick from the ground.

We'll need this in about 10 seconds.

: Honey drips at the edges of the honeycomb chunk.
: It appears to be an average stick of wood.

We're now done on this screen for the rest of the game. We'll pass through again, but the bear puzzle was it.

north

King's Quest V - March of the Ants

: A bully of a dog terrorizes the poor ants as he playfully digs up their large anthill.
: Ooooh Graham! That dog looks mean! I don't like dogs!

This dog doesn't exist until you pick up the stick at the beehive. Unlike with the bees, there's no way to die on this screen.

dog

: The dog doesn't seem to be a friendly sort at all.

I said it last time, but it bears repeating. gently caress this game. You can't pet any of the dogs at all. The dog in the inn was "Just out of Graham's reach." They're good dogs, Roberta!

Trying to antagonize the dog only results in you getting growled at. So there's nothing entertaining you can even do here. So let's just skip to...

dog

: *whistles* Here, boy!

: Allow me to introduce myself. I'm King Antony the Great. May I ask who you are?

gently caress.

: Why certainly. I'm King Graham of Daventry and this is my friend, Cedric. We're seeking a way to cross the Great Mountains to the ocean on the other side.
: That is a very perilous undertaking. I wish you would reconsider. But if you shall not, in return for rescuing our home from that flea-bitten cur I wish to offer you our help if perchance you may ever need it.
: Thank you very much, King Antony. Cedric and I appreciate your kind offer. We look forward to meeting you again.

: Ooooh is that a new dance, Graham? The BUGaloooo!

These puns. God dammit. Let's just leave.

north

This is the last screen in Serenia. There's more to the west, but it's a special case that we'll cover another time.

: Ooooh keep your eye on the gypsies, Graham. I don't trust 'em.

Good to know. Cedric doesn't trust impoverished nomads who aren't bothering anyone, and are also camping peacefully on the edge of one of the world's infinite deserts. Best keep an eye on these people who aren't doing jack or poo poo. rear end in a top hat.

ox

: The ox's mouth is too full of grass to even attempt a conversation with Graham!

man

: Within the gypsy encampment, Graham notices a tall, burly man who keeps a suspicious eye on him and Cedric.

man

: The sullen man doesn't look like the conversational sort.

near wagon

: It vill cost you vone gold coin to see Madame Mushka.

Well, we can't afford that right now. Our chest of infinite money is somewhere far to the east. Also after the inflation problem brought about by Graham's predecessor, I don't think Daventry coins are worth much of anything anyway.

Anyway, that's about all we can do in Serenia for the time being. So I'm going to call the update there.

NEXT TIME: Cedric is too afraid to go somewhere. What a shocker.

List of Points

+2 - Walked into the Dark Forest
-2 - Except not really
+4 - Saved bees
+2 - Got some honey
+2 - Retrieved stick
+4 - Played fetch

Register of Deaths

16/260

Toadally unprepared
Meeting the Innkeeper
Feeding the bears

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What baffles me most is why the bear appears to be wearing bright red lipstick.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Are you gonna be the one to tell that bear that isn't its shade? :colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

someone awful. posted:

Are you gonna be the one to tell that bear that isn't its shade? :colbert:
Bears are easy to deal with. Just sneak up behind it, gut it and wear its skin as a disguise so you can stalk and kill more bears.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

The reference they're trying to make won't be legible if his open mouth is just black pixels on black fur.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
Man, Cedric is racist on quite a few levels, isn't he.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
loving innkeeper puzzle! Each new screenshot surfaces another memory of this accursed game! :argh:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Weed Wolf posted:

Man, Cedric is racist on quite a few levels, isn't he.
I thought his voice was enough of a reason to hate him, but no, he has to go giving me more.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Cut Cedric a break, his only moral exemplar is a senile wizard grandpa. Probably gets all his news from foxes.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Glazius posted:

Cut Cedric a break, his only moral exemplar is a senile wizard grandpa. Probably gets all his news from foxes.

We're lucky that Graham didn't get Crispin started on gay marriage. That's a bad scene, man.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Shei-kun posted:

I thought his voice was enough of a reason to hate him, but no, he has to go giving me more.

And given the time it probably wasn't even meant to be 'Cedric is racist' just 'Cedric is a coward', even now bigotry against traveling people is considered perfectly acceptable and even justified in some areas :/

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
You know, I thought about how I really liked the Weeping Willow theme. Then I thought about how I really liked the Dance Of The Wallflowers in KQ6. Then I realized that they're actually incredibly similar. :p

DoubleNegative posted:

: Why certainly. I'm King Graham of Daventry and this is my friend, Cedric. We're seeking a way to cross the Great Mountains to the ocean on the other side.

When.. did Graham decide that? Cedric told him that Mordack's castle was over east of the snake. He didn't say anything about an ocean. Cedric also told him that alone he would have no chance against Mordack, so shouldn't he be trying to do something else before just marching over there? Or he's obviously enough of an RPG metagamer to know that mysteriously a bunch of stuff will happen on the way there that will result in him being fully prepared by the time he arrives?

hyphz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 16, 2017

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

hyphz posted:

You know, I thought about how I really liked the Weeping Willow theme. Then I thought about how I really liked the Dance Of The Wallflowers in KQ6. Then I realized that they're actually incredibly similar. :p

When.. did Graham decide that? Cedric told him that Mordack's castle was over east of the snake. He didn't say anything about an ocean. Cedric also told him that alone he would have no chance against Mordack, so shouldn't he be trying to do something else before just marching over there? Or he's obviously enough of an RPG metagamer to know that mysteriously a bunch of stuff will happen on the way there that will result in him being fully prepared by the time he arrives?

Well, he is the king of the country. I'm pretty sure he's looked at a map at least once in his life. And I'm pretty sure that his adventuring days have left him prepared for all the various scenarios he'll come across. Like dealing with a bridge that collapses for no reason after you go across it an arbitrary amount of times.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

: Ooooh keep your eye on the gypsies, Graham. I don't trust 'em.

nevermind, i dont like cedric anymore

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

hyphz posted:

Or he's obviously enough of an RPG metagamer to know that mysteriously a bunch of stuff will happen on the way there that will result in him being fully prepared by the time he arrives?

Graham just has the big balls to believe he can handle anything.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Graham just has the big balls to believe he can handle anything.

That's my take on it. He's faced all sorts of poo poo in his previous two adventures, plus any more he got up to in the 17 intervening years between KQ2 and KQ3. He's been around the block enough to know that all it takes is a pair of strong legs and a penchant for extreme lateral thought. Also luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

DoubleNegative posted:

That's my take on it. He's faced all sorts of poo poo in his previous two adventures, plus any more he got up to in the 17 intervening years between KQ2 and KQ3. He's been around the block enough to know that all it takes is a pair of strong legs and a penchant for extreme lateral thought. Also luck.

On the other hand, his solution to a 3-headed dragon invading his kingdom was, ">Give DAUGHTER to DRAGON" He might not be quite as on the ball as he thinks.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 17, 2017

• Locked thread