Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

blue squares posted:

I saw IT and I thought it was great and very scary. I now want to read another SK book. It's been a while. I could re-read IT, or try something new. I'm gonna list all of the SK books I have read roughly in order of preference.

IT
The Stand
Under the Dome
The Long Walk
Cujo
Misery
11/22/63
Cell
The Running Man
Pet Sematary
Duma Key

Obvious missing ones are Shining, Salem's Lot, and Carrie. I don't want to read Carrie and don't think I'd like the Shining all that much since what I love about King is when he writes about a large cast of characters in a town. Maybe I'll reread Under the Dome, since I gobbled that one down in about 2 days.

You should read the gently caress out of 'Salem's Lot, Firestarter, The Dead Zone and The Shining. You read some good ones in your list but not his best IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

You guys should go see "IT".

IT was really good and one of the upper tier translations of King's stuff. IT was on the level of Stand By Me, Delores Claiborne, Misery and The Green Mile - if not entirely up to the standards of The Shining or Shawshank, which is a really high bar.

IT was genuinely creepy with perfect atmosphere and surprisingly funny a lot of the time. Too much of that was Ritchie stealing scenes and that grew old after a while, which is my biggest complaint if I had to pick one. But the comedy played off the scary and suspense in a genuinely unique way; Not in a comedic relief sense but more in a tonal one that served to disorient the viewer really well.

I was rather impressed apart from the things I could nit pick about IT. IT's better than The Mist, Cujo and Christine and a solid A- or 8.5/10 depending on your taste. IT's not boring and never sucks.

If you liked Stand by Me and Stranger Things and want to see some genuinely creepy scenes added into that mixture, you'll like IT. They nailed a poo poo ton of IT.

The most correct take.

Well directed and shot.

Scary.

Kid actor cast are excellent.

The first appearance of Pennywise (in the gutter, with Georgie) is completely nailed and makes the movie.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

I think what I vaguely remember enjoying about it when I heard it as a kid, was that he wasn't like some devil selling cursed items, all he was doing giving people slight nudges and then letting them act as they will. Like setting up some giant human rube Goldberg contraption

That is where all of the fun of the novel comes from, definitely. If that's what you liked it'll still hold up. Though be prepared for things to get both super hosed up and also cartoonishly chaotic. I think King realized how insane things were getting and just ramped it up even more.

Also I just realized what a testament it is to King's writing of small towns that I read Needful Things six years ago and just recently read Dead Zone and somehow managed to picture the Castle Rock police station exactly the same both times without realizing it. Same interior, same exterior, same location.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am re-reading IT and realized something.

Stephen King is a TERRIBLE writer. Like, his prose his embarrassingly sloppy and barely sounds a step above a freshman comp class.

That being said, his flow is remarkable. He manages to hit a tone that makes it easy to burn through 50 pages without realizing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Stephen King is a TERRIBLE writer. Like, his prose his embarrassingly sloppy and barely sounds a step above a freshman comp class.

That being said, his flow is remarkable. He manages to hit a tone that makes it easy to burn through 50 pages without realizing.

that means that he is a good writer

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

scary ghost dog posted:

that means that he is a good writer

No, it means he is a good story teller

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No, it means he is a good story teller

an arbitrary distinction

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

an arbitrary distinction

To a dullard perhaps

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

real bad posts in the stephen king thread lately

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I agree, ghost dog should apologize

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

I saw IT and I thought it was great and very scary. I now want to read another SK book. It's been a while. I could re-read IT, or try something new. I'm gonna list all of the SK books I have read roughly in order of preference.

IT
The Stand
Under the Dome
The Long Walk
Cujo
Misery
11/22/63
Cell
The Running Man
Pet Sematary
Duma Key

Obvious missing ones are Shining, Salem's Lot, and Carrie. I don't want to read Carrie and don't think I'd like the Shining all that much since what I love about King is when he writes about a large cast of characters in a town. Maybe I'll reread Under the Dome, since I gobbled that one down in about 2 days.

I'd say read The Dead Zone, Firestarter, and 'Salem's Lot. Firestarter was the dumbest premise until I read it, and it left a strong impression on me. It's like King tried to write a Pynchon plot; it's weird and good.

I'm also with Mel on King being a mediocre writer but a good story-teller. There's been a few books that hit strong strides with prose, like everyone's favorite chapter in The Stand (Uncut), some moments in 'Salem's Lot, Pet Sematary, and Misery, but in general it's his characters, scenarios, and pacing (until the ending) that make his stories memorable.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To a dullard perhaps

perhaps

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The 'Is King a good writer' argument is impossible to have without sounding wankery and everyone suddenly deciding they're prose experts.

Anway, they've just announced a movie deal to produce SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN which...well not only is it an incredibly short story, but it also has an ending I can't see anyone trying to replicate.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

The 'Is King a good writer' argument is impossible to have without sounding wankery and everyone suddenly deciding they're prose experts.

Or it's a legitimate critique that can promote a discussion that you don't have to be involved with.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like I will botl the gently caress out of IT if it's what it takes

Don't test me

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

504 posted:

So swap out the name, setting, plot, point of view and creatures and its the same? So is The sound of music!

(I'm just kidding, it just struck me as funny)

half-life was directly inspired by the mist. its original title was quiver (after the arrowhead project).

when i was younger i read the mist at some cottage my parents were renting and they had a bunch of old king (i read salem's lot and a few others that week too). i remember thinking hmmm this sounds sorta like half-life and googled it when i got home and sure enough it was.

the film "IT" was not scary at all so i don't know why several of you have said that (the kids were fantastic tho). tho maybe you don't watch many scary movies?

mel mudkiper is right stephen king is not a particularly skilled writer. his dialogue is oftentimes embarrassing. he has the annoying habit of telling you someone is gonna die chapters early. he has the problem of not knowing that half of good writing is knowing what to leave out. most of his books are twice as long as they should be - even IT is overly long and much of the history would've been more effective if you had to piece it together yourself instead of having full on flashbacks. the turtle was dumb it's cooler when there's just this evil cosmic thing and they beat it themselves.

speaking of IT are there any books with a similar premise? a lot of my issue with king is he's fantastic with premises but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. last king i read was revival and the beginning and end are great but even for a shorter book of his the middle drags.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 12, 2017

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

speaking of IT are there any books with a similar premise?

Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. I thought it was excruciatingly boring, but a lot of other people seem to really like it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

speaking of IT are there any books with a similar premise? a lot of my issue with king is he's fantastic with premises but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. last king i read was revival and the beginning and end are great but even for a shorter book of his the middle drags.

Which aspect do you want? A coming-of-age story? A small-town life story? A story about monsters terrorizing a town? A story about friendship?

It's safe to assume you want Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. Boy's Life by Robert McCammon get's touted as IT's spiritual successor often. If you get more specific, I could probably throw one or two more your way.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Or it's a legitimate critique that can promote a discussion that you don't have to be involved with.

he's good

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Just letting people know the bad movie podcast did the IT miniseries this week. They had done a bunch of Stephen King movies as well.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I'm reading the Dark Tower for the first time, but I did listen to all the audiobooks first. Just about to finish The Wastelands, and goddamn do I love these books? Are there more materials out there related to the universe I can read. The Great Old Ones, Lud, Blaine and mid-world in general are so awesome.

henpod fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 13, 2017

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

henpod posted:

I'm reading the Dark Tower for the first time, but I did listen to all the audiobooks first. Just about to finish The Wastelands, and goddamn do I love these books? Are there more materials out there related to the universe I can read. The Great Old Ones, Lud, Blaine and mid-world in general are so awesome.

The various Dark Tower comic series had a lot of stuff that further fleshed out the setting. However, it was written by Robin Furth, not King, though I think King signed off on it all. There's also Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance, also by Furth, and The Dark Tower Companion, by Bev Vincent.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Vastarien posted:

Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. I thought it was excruciatingly boring, but a lot of other people seem to really like it.

I loved Summer of Night just as much as IT. Summer of Night (to me) is IT without the adult stuff.

Edit: Is all fairness I don't think I've read Summer of Night since the 90's. I read IT back in the late 80's and last year. I need to give Summer of Night a re-read.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

henpod posted:

Wind Through the Keyhole and Little Sisters of Eluria (short story) i think is the only other works King has written set in the DT universe, you know, beyond all the references and hints in other books.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

blue squares posted:

Needful Things, all day erry day.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Holy poo poo. I couldn't disagree with this more aside from the "flow" comment.

I think he's a fantastic writer and really good with prose. Some of his stuff is better than others, of course, but I can't remember ever reading a King novel and thinking "man, that writing was poo poo." It's usually a pacing or a plot issue when he sits the bed. Sometimes dialogue. To me, Koontz and Kellerman are what I'd call lovely writers - where the low quality actually detracts from the experience - often to the point that I can't even finish their books.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Here I will pick a few choice excerpts from It when I get home to prove my point

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ok, here is one particular scene that irritated me

quote:

There was a clown in the stormdrain. The light in there was far from good, but it was good enough so that George Denbrough was sure of what he was seeing. It was a clown, like in the circus or on TV. In fact he looked like a cross between Bozo and Clarabell, who talked by honking his (or was it her?—George was never really sure of the gender) horn on Howdy Doody Saturday mornings—Buffalo Bob was just about the only one who could understand Clarabell, and that always cracked George up. The face of the clown in the stormdrain was white, there were funny tufts of red hair on either side of his bald head, and there was a big clown-smile painted over his mouth. If George had been inhabiting a later year, he would have surely thought of Ronald McDonald before Bozo or Clarabell.

I will forgive King for breaking the old axiom of never describe something by pointing to pop culture. The fundamental issue with using the explicit comparison to Bozo and Clarabell is that it is redundant. Why compare it to a pop culture figure and THEN describe its appearance. The sentences in Italics could just have easily been removed from the paragraph and not meaningfully affected the description at all. Alternatively, the description of the clown could have been removed and the same result would have been accomplished. He is describing the same thing twice in two different ways without a significant reason for doing so.

Where I really got annoyed was this less than 30 pages later.

quote:

The clown, Hagarty said, looked like a cross between Ronald McDonald and that old TV clown, Bozo—or so he thought at first. It was the wild tufts of orange hair that brought such comparisons to mind. But later consideration had caused him to think the clown really looked like neither.

Here is where the previous passage becomes even more frustrating. First, it has the exact same problem with redundancy the first excerpt had. He even goes so far to make a redundant description and then go "oh wait actually thats not a good description anyways." Second, he is using a different character to make the exact same comparison with the exact same phrasing. This might be forgiven if it were considerably later in the text and the reader needed to be reminded. Like "hey, remember that clown?" However, this is arguably within the same sitting for a reader. The reader is going to freshly remember "oh right, the clown looked like Bozo." There is no point to repeating the exact same description.

I considered it might be an attempt at a joke. He says in the previous excerpt "if it were later, he would think he looked like Ronald McDonald" and then now has a guy later say "He looked like Ronald McDonald." However, if so, the timing in the joke punch-line is off. It really just reads like he forgot he already said it a chapter earlier.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Surely there are better things to spend your time on buddy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

RCarr posted:

shame on me for talking about a writer in the thread about the writer in a subforum for talking about writers

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

There are more than a dozen pages of this thread just for posts about "King-isms". Why would you take issue with someone critically defending their argument when people just posted for them to back up their arguments? It's not like he's trying to say "King is poo poo, don't read King", he's saying that he's a good story-teller but his prose is lacking. King equates his own writing to that of a Big Mac.

You can like a writer and still think their prose isn't great. Comparing King to other worse writers in a genre rife with terrible prose doesn't necessarily make him good, it just shows he's comparatively not the worst. To say that King's writing could use editing, especially for redundancy, isn't even that controversial, it's a legitimate complaint among his fans, especially in this thread, which began with people talking about how terrible King was (and which of his books were the worst) but liking him anyway.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

shame on me for talking about a writer in the thread about the writer in a subforum for talking about writers

It was a good post.
You could argue the comparison to other clowns is there to show the scene better from georges view point. Those clowns are known to him and are benevolent and silly, so it makes more sense why he wouldn't run screaming from pennywise in the drain.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Those two quotes are clearly from different points of view. The second clown description is not for our benefit as an understanding of the clown, it's to develop the character providing the description and to underline the steadfastness of clown imagery. This is especially important in a book that explicitly deals with the lasting socio- and psychological impact of pop culture.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Those two quotes are clearly from different points of view. The second clown description is not for our benefit as an understanding of the clown, it's to develop the character providing the description and to underline the steadfastness of clown imagery. This is especially important in a book that explicitly deals with the lasting socio- and psychological impact of pop culture.

If he wanted to show that the imagery is ubiquitous amongst different personalities why would he use the exact same description with the exact same phrasing? The image is supposed to be universal, not the language.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm not saying King can't get clunky on occasion or veer off course somewhat, even with his prose, but by and large I find him very strong. I also agree that he can be redundant sometimes. He writes a LOT though so, to me, it's kind of like a very prolific songwriter like Zappa or Prince occasionally offering up a clunker rather than a blanket judgement that he's a "bad writer". I wouldn't call those two examples I cited "bad musicians" by any stretch.

Like I said, I never finished one of King's books that I wound up disliking where my main issue with it was the thing being written poorly. To state outright that "he's a bad writer" is something I'd certainly take exception with.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If he wanted to show that the imagery is ubiquitous amongst different personalities why would he use the exact same description with the exact same phrasing? The image is supposed to be universal, not the language.

The image and the language are linked, which is half the point. Even the title of the book is a linguistic joke.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ok, here is one particular scene that irritated me

I will forgive King for breaking the old axiom of never describe something by pointing to pop culture. The fundamental issue with using the explicit comparison to Bozo and Clarabell is that it is redundant. Why compare it to a pop culture figure and THEN describe its appearance.

To George, It looks like a cross between Bozo and Clarabell, that's his perception/interpretation. But this is a book released in 1986, when Bozo was a niche character at best and Clarabell hadn't been a thing for over 20 years. King's both showing George's interpretation of what he's seeing (the bit about George not being sure of Clarabell's gender being a clear indication of that), *and* describing it to the reader who might have no loving idea what Clarabell looks like.

quote:

" There is no point to repeating the exact same description.

But...it's not the exact same description. It's different. The hair isn't red anymore, it's orange. The whole point of this is to illustrate that It's appearance is malleable, open to interpretation based on the observer's associations. George doesn't interpret it as Ronald because it doesn't *look* like Ronald because Ronald doesn't exist in George's mind. To George, it's Bozo. To this other guy, who is familiar with Ronald but probably not with Clarabell, it looks like Ronald.

I'd agree with you that King has his share of shortcomings as a writer, but this is a pretty bad example of them. It certainly at least servers a purpose and has a point.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Phanatic posted:

To George, It looks like a cross between Bozo and Clarabell, that's his perception/interpretation. But this is a book released in 1986, when Bozo was a niche character at best and Clarabell hadn't been a thing for over 20 years. King's both showing George's interpretation of what he's seeing (the bit about George not being sure of Clarabell's gender being a clear indication of that), *and* describing it to the reader who might have no loving idea what Clarabell looks like.

When have you ever looked at a clown and consciously thought "wow, this clown looks exactly like a cross between these two other clowns?" Clowns look like Clowns. Even a six year old child would not look at a clown and go "wow this looks like these two particular widely understood pop culture clowns" the child would go "Oh its a clown." And even if you want to try and say that its totally normal for a child to do that, why would an adult man 30 years later still go "wow, it looks like a cross between Bozo and Ronald"

quote:

But...it's not the exact same description. It's different. The hair isn't red anymore, it's orange. The whole point of this is to illustrate that It's appearance is malleable, open to interpretation based on the observer's associations. George doesn't interpret it as Ronald because it doesn't *look* like Ronald because Ronald doesn't exist in George's mind. To George, it's Bozo. To this other guy, who is familiar with Ronald but probably not with Clarabell, it looks like Ronald.

I'd agree with you that King has his share of shortcomings as a writer, but this is a pretty bad example of them. It certainly at least servers a purpose and has a point.

Even if we granted him all of that, its still exceptionally clumsy. If he wanted the reader to grasp that the clown can take different appearances based on the observer, why would he focus on red/orange hair. Red and orange hair are practically synonyms. Hell, orange hair is often conventionally referred to as red hair in general. Why make the crux of the focus on the malleability something that most readers would not even notice as malleable.

And you're missing the point of the why the Ronald thing is redundant. King already said in the original description that if George knew who Ronald was he might compare him to Ronald. It serves no point to have a later character than compare him to Ronald because it doesn't tell us anything we weren't told in the earlier description.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mel Mudkiper posted:

When have you ever looked at a clown and consciously thought "wow, this clown looks exactly like a cross between these two other clowns?"

So... now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

So... now.

Not really?

Bozo's hair sure, but that's about it.

I'm glad you think of those clowns when you see Tim Curry's clown make-up, still doesn't really justify the flaws in the passages mentioned.