Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Rex-Goliath posted:

you're an intern no one expects poo poo from you

not to put pressure on the poor kid but if he/she blows them away they might make an FTE offer. we've done that to both of the interns we've had since I've been at my company because we build a list of what we think a summer's worth of work is before before they get here and then they blow through it in a week and we go "uh, poo poo. well no one has touched this terrible shitshow for a year, wanna try?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oh yeah absolutely i'm just saying that no one should beat themselves up over an internship or ever feel like they're stupid for not understanding what's going on. just chill out and take the work they give you one step at a time. they're not expecting you to poo poo gold bricks for them like they would someone who's at a senior level

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i had a hilarious internship where i got hired as a ux researcher, then the project was canceled and my planned manager left the company a couple months before i arrived (but after the offer letter.)

the new manager was a ux designer, kept trying to give me design tasks... then when he figured out i wasn't a designer tried to put me to work as a software engineer. I came from a pentesting background and knew basic webdev stuff but again, not really in line with my job description. They basically ran me ragged on the idea if I "did well" I'd be hired, and then found out deep into the internship there were no hiring slots for UX researchers that year - only software engineers.

He also gave me a lukewarm end of internship review which basically consisted of the fact that while I did an interesting UX research project, the things outside my title I never claimed to have experience in took longer to do and weren't at the quality he liked

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 13, 2017

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
anyone here work at any gamedev studios looking for a designer?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Siljmonster posted:

anyone here work at any gamedev studios looking for a designer?

I'd check around https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415662

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

MononcQc posted:

From experience, not having a degree hurts when trying to get a job and go through recruiters or HR who take a degree as
mandatory, when consulting (because agencies and those contracting them put on similar requirements) and if you're trying to emigrate anywhere -- not having a degree automatically puts you in the ´unqualified worker' bin no matter how much real world experience you have.

This happened to a friend of mine. Had ten years of industry but couldn't get a job at any big name company because a degree was a hard requirement in like 95% of jobs, so he went to university and landed a sick rear end position straight out.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rofl. Companies do give a poo poo what interns do, it's literally an extended interview.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

qhat posted:

Rofl. Companies do give a poo poo what interns do, it's literally an extended interview.
can confirm

I routinely try to dissuade people from giving interns mission-critical functionality because no intern needs that much pressure

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

qhat posted:

This happened to a friend of mine. Had ten years of industry but couldn't get a job at any big name company because a degree was a hard requirement in like 95% of jobs, so he went to university and landed a sick rear end position straight out.
Yeah, the industry has shifted. Instead of dealing with dropouts and mutants, you have to deal with shitheads who got their hands held through four years who can rote their way through quicksort but can't make sense of a stack trace.

It's why I hosed off out of California. It's like lawyers in Memphis.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Elysiume posted:

can confirm

I routinely try to dissuade people from giving interns mission-critical functionality because no intern needs that much pressure

More like you avoid doing that because they'll almost certainly gently caress it up.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
interns are great because they're always so enthusiastic about everything :3:

you go little guy, enjoy those few years before you get cynical and jaded

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

how bad is it to have no degree? rn i'm putting $university $timespan $course on my resume despite dropping out, i wonder how hosed i'll be when it comes to applying for another job after 3+ years of paid computer touching

i mean i doubt most people give a poo poo but still

EU if it makes a diff, none of this background check poo poo here lol

Britain is in the EU (for now) and my current employer wanted a copy of my degree certificate. From 20 years ago (and, yes, after 20 years of industry experience). In Modern History.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
interns are great because the ceo thinks they're free labor but actually they're a 3 month training burden that leaves for a real job as soon as they know anything!

probably a different story at bigcorps but that's how it went at my lovely startup, and it was a huge waste of time

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i wish programmers were paid better in the uk (and trans people weren't totally hosed by the nhs) because I would move to London or Edinburgh like instantly if I could make comparable figgies there, accounting for a slightly lower income due to Healthcare being free.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah it's weird for how expensive the uk is you'd think the pay would be better

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Java, C, and C++ are my strongest languages. How likely is it that an employer would say that's good enough for an entry-level C# gig?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

Java, C, and C++ are my strongest languages. How likely is it that an employer would say that's good enough for an entry-level C# gig?

You'll probably do fine, just look up the basic data structures in C#s standard library because some of them behave a bit differently from Java, especially anything hash related.

If you need something to prove that you can write C#, it's insanely easy to knock out an app in winforms in a day. I wrote an internal utility that way that epics tech comm team still uses to this day. Just think of some thing you've done in one of your main languages, knock it out in c# and push it to your github. Viola, or you can confidently put c# on your resume.

Just don't imply you know any of the various asp.net platforms unless you actually study up first because there's plenty of weird pitfalls and differences between them that a jerk interviewer would try to trip you up with.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

cis autodrag posted:

i wish programmers were paid better in the uk (and trans people weren't totally hosed by the nhs) because I would move to London or Edinburgh like instantly if I could make comparable figgies there, accounting for a slightly lower income due to Healthcare being free.

your puppies would have to go to dog jail unless you meet fairly strict requirements

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ultravoices posted:

your puppies would have to go to dog jail unless you meet fairly strict requirements

Man, brexit really was all about hating immigrants huh

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

cis autodrag posted:

uk figgie situation is really poo poo unfortunately but a lot of that is down to london-centrism.

the labour market is also heavily finance-dominated. it's a living but it's pretty unfulfilling work.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ThePeavstenator posted:

c# and java are almost the same thing. you're gonna have a harder time figuring out which tools and frameworks you like.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

qhat posted:

More like you avoid doing that because they'll almost certainly gently caress it up.
the best interns I've worked with I trusted more than the people on my team that I trust the least

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

cis autodrag posted:

(and trans people weren't totally hosed by the nhs)
Can't wait to hear this

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jre posted:

Can't wait to hear this

it's like crazy off topic so you can pm me if you're actually interested, but tl;dr is that nhs goes way too far with gatekeeping and the criteria that actually allow you to receive treatment are pretty outdated causing a lot of people who don't fit a particular stereotype to be denied treatment. we've heard multiple horror stories from uk goons over in the trans thread.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

cis autodrag posted:

oh yeah I can relate

like me I wanted to move to the coast so badly, it's all I ever wanted in a place to call home. I'd move if only I could get comparable $$$ for programming BUT programming jobs suck out there

had to face the reality that apparently I loved programming more than I loved the idea of living in my dream place

between you and me I haven't been the same since

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

ThePeavstenator posted:

We prefer a B average to consider you for employment, but a C++ might be good enough. The Java experience is a plus. How much experience do you have with react dot js?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

cis autodrag posted:

it's like crazy off topic so you can pm me if you're actually interested, but tl;dr is that nhs goes way too far with gatekeeping and the criteria that actually allow you to receive treatment are pretty outdated causing a lot of people who don't fit a particular stereotype to be denied treatment. we've heard multiple horror stories from uk goons over in the trans thread.

As opposed to the completely free universally available treatment in the states ?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jre posted:

As opposed to the completely free universally available treatment in the states ?

what a completely idiotic response to what i just said.

me: "think x has problems"
you: "thing y has completely different problems"

if you're interested in an actual discussion on the matter please go to TGRS and ask in the trans thread, otherwise gently caress off back to the disingenuous cave.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

cis autodrag posted:

what a completely idiotic response to what i just said.

me: "trans people are totally hosed by the NHS"

you: "trans people get completely free treatment if they meet medically set criteria, unlike the us where it based on ability to pay"

Fixed that for you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

More interviewing and job hunting horror stories, less being lovely about LGBT issues, guys.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

John Big Booty posted:

How much experience do you have with react dot js?

It's at this point that I insert the drill into my eyesocket

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's at this point that I insert the drill into my eyesocket

there's worse things than react my posts

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

jre posted:

there's worse things than react my posts
surprisingly enough react is worse so r my posts

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
a friend from old-job texted me today saying that he was leaving and finally joining the six figgies club and i did a little wootles for him. then he told me it's 1-off webdev and wordpress and i felt sad

i didn't tell him about the new position i've been offered leading an engineering team 'cause i didn't want to make him feel bad

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
sorry, we will only consider candidates whose entire technical exposure reflects our company's priorities, not the priorities of the companies they previously or currently worked for.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
*prefers to develop in Spring, but has no on-job Spring experience to show, so takes a job developing in Bespoke Frankenframework to pay the bills*

years later ...

*prefers to develop in Spring, ...*

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

now that auckland property market is crashing nz is starting to look somewhat less crazy

would prefer wellington tho

ultravoices posted:

in nz its much easier to get a permanent residency than it is to get a dog imported

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Mister Sinewave posted:

oh yeah I can relate

like me I wanted to move to the coast so badly, it's all I ever wanted in a place to call home. I'd move if only I could get comparable $$$ for programming BUT programming jobs suck out there

had to face the reality that apparently I loved programming more than I loved the idea of living in my dream place

between you and me I haven't been the same since

buy land there and put up a vacation home or whatever

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ThePeavstenator posted:

c# is a more proprietary clone of java so you're fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

*prefers to develop in Spring, but has no on-job Spring experience to show, so takes a job developing in Bespoke Frankenframework to pay the bills*
This is almost exactly what I'm doing right now, except I bullied them into rewriting their bullshit into something workable.

So many Frankenframeworks over the years, though. So many.

• Locked thread