Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Can anyone recommend one of Foner's various editions and books on Reconstruction? Amazon's got quite a few and I wasn't sure which to pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So not really history, but the non fiction thread is archived and this one gets more traffic anyway, but recently finished Paul Mason's PostCapitalism: A Guide to Our Future which had some pretty interesting ideas in it.

Also just started What About Me? The Struggle for Identity in a Market-Based Society by Paul Verhaeghe which tries to describe the long term impact that living in a neoliberal society has on our psychology. Anyway could be pretty neat or completely daft as these things inevitably are.

Anyone read either of these books or something similar? Thoughts? Discussion?

🤔

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

fridge corn posted:

So not really history, but the non fiction thread is archived and this one gets more traffic anyway, but recently finished Paul Mason's PostCapitalism: A Guide to Our Future which had some pretty interesting ideas in it.

Also just started What About Me? The Struggle for Identity in a Market-Based Society by Paul Verhaeghe which tries to describe the long term impact that living in a neoliberal society has on our psychology. Anyway could be pretty neat or completely daft as these things inevitably are.

Anyone read either of these books or something similar? Thoughts? Discussion?

🤔

It's not directly related to either of those, but The Spirit Level: How Equality is Better for Everyone by Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett is a pretty great look at how living in unequal societies is bad for everyone, summarizing a huge body of social scientific and health research into a very readable book. Considering neoliberalism and inequality go together, I think it's a really good insight into why our world is so hosed up. It affected my thinking a lot on what I want to study and why.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Suuuper late, but thanks for the suggestions on Chinese history. I picked up China: A History since it had a kindle edition and I took it camping this weekend and really enjoyed it. The author has a good sense of humor about how much work it takes to organize and write about Chinese history.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

vyelkin posted:

It's not directly related to either of those, but The Spirit Level: How Equality is Better for Everyone by Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett is a pretty great look at how living in unequal societies is bad for everyone, summarizing a huge body of social scientific and health research into a very readable book. Considering neoliberalism and inequality go together, I think it's a really good insight into why our world is so hosed up. It affected my thinking a lot on what I want to study and why.

That sounds cool. Definitely in the same vein of non fiction that ive been reading lately. I'll add it to the list, thanks

E: i read non fiction solely for that sort of insight you're talking about. Even the history books I read need to have some sort of analytical element to them to make them relevant to life in todays world. I recently read Domenico Losurdo's Liberalism: A Counter-History which had good insight in how current liberal ideology came to be whet it is today and was pretty good. The identity book im reading now im hoping sort of follows on from an idea mentioned in Mason's book wherein he argues how the demolishing of the working class identity by the advent of neoliberalism destroyed the working class's leverage over capitalism and the lack of that identity might be what has spurred on the current focus on identity politics in todays discourse. Or maybe not. Still not very far along with it. 😇

fridge corn fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 5, 2017

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Badger of Basra posted:

Can anyone recommend one of Foner's various editions and books on Reconstruction? Amazon's got quite a few and I wasn't sure which to pick.

https://www.amazon.com/Reconstructi...ords=eric+foner

That's the one you want, the updated 2014 edition of Reconstruction.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

fridge corn posted:

So not really history, but the non fiction thread is archived and this one gets more traffic anyway

I was similarly going to post in the non-fic thread* but for recommendations, maybe there is some good overlap between history book buffs and non-fic buffs in here who can answer my questions?:

First was just general books about diseases/epidemics, with emphasis on accounts of previous ones and how they spread and how they work in the human body**, maybe how we fight and cure them. I had previously read Germs, Genes, & Civilization: How Epidemics Shaped Who We Are Today and The Hot Zone: A Terrifying True Story which both seemed good but I feel like there is more and better out there on this topic or similar.

Second one is more specific but I was reading Fast Food Nation awhile back and was extremely intrigued by the chapter on the science of smells and artificial flavors, how they will use seemingly unrelated extracts/chemicals to combine into a common scent/flavor like caramel or mint or whatever. I tried to find more extensive books/articles on the subject but didn't know what to search for and got a bunch of 90 dollar chemistry textbooks popping up.

*although really, isn't any non-fic written before the immediate present technically history anyway?
**I swear I am not a weirdo plague cultist looking for strats

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Guy A. Person posted:

I was similarly going to post in the non-fic thread* but for recommendations, maybe there is some good overlap between history book buffs and non-fic buffs in here who can answer my questions?:

First was just general books about diseases/epidemics, with emphasis on accounts of previous ones and how they spread and how they work in the human body**, maybe how we fight and cure them. I had previously read Germs, Genes, & Civilization: How Epidemics Shaped Who We Are Today and The Hot Zone: A Terrifying True Story which both seemed good but I feel like there is more and better out there on this topic or similar.

Second one is more specific but I was reading Fast Food Nation awhile back and was extremely intrigued by the chapter on the science of smells and artificial flavors, how they will use seemingly unrelated extracts/chemicals to combine into a common scent/flavor like caramel or mint or whatever. I tried to find more extensive books/articles on the subject but didn't know what to search for and got a bunch of 90 dollar chemistry textbooks popping up.

*although really, isn't any non-fic written before the immediate present technically history anyway?
**I swear I am not a weirdo plague cultist looking for strats

Have you read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh poo poo, no, that is a really good suggestion. I remember hearing a lot about it when it came out. Thanks!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I would like any recommendations about 19th century Japanese history, the events leading to and following the Meiji restoration.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Guy A. Person posted:

Mary Roach's book Gulp is about eating and food science, it has at least one chapter about that subject and is all related.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Books on the papacy? Nothing specific, just, uh, the papacy. Early papacy, medieval papacy, individual popes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Books on the papacy? Nothing specific, just, uh, the papacy. Early papacy, medieval papacy, individual popes.

Absolute Monarchs: A History of the Papacy by Viscount Norwich https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004J4WKTC/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Covers every individual Pope from the beginning up the current day at time of writing so the one who retired, and through them what the greater papal infrastructure itself was doing at the time.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Don't listen to fishmech and buy a book by Brian Tierney or just ask me questions.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Disinterested posted:

Don't listen to fishmech and buy a book by Brian Tierney or just ask me questions.

which one and tell me things

only semi-related but have you read jones' before church and state?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Grand Fromage posted:

Mary Roach's book Gulp is about eating and food science, it has at least one chapter about that subject and is all related.
No joke checkout Alton Brown's podcasts and the Seattle Kitchen podcast. They're very informative and super entertaining.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Salt Sugar Fat is a great book that's specifically about food industry fuckery.

https://www.amazon.com/Salt-Sugar-Fat-Giants-Hooked/dp/0812982193

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

I'm interested in books about the history of the PLO but Google isn't being helpful - any suggestions?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Hmmm the Paul Verhaeghe book just mentioned the work of these two to help illustrate a point

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Hmmm the Paul Verhaeghe book just mentioned the work of these two to help illustrate a point

I guess they're more related than I thought! I don't know Verhaeghe at all so I can't judge whether this is good or bad though.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

vyelkin posted:

I guess they're more related than I thought! I don't know Verhaeghe at all so I can't judge whether this is good or bad though.

Well he definitely holds their research in high regard

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

chernobyl kinsman posted:

which one and tell me things

only semi-related but have you read jones' before church and state?

I have and I remember studying Louis IX. I don't think he's wrong but I also don't think he's as original as he thinks he is.

The Crisis of Church and State, 1050-1300 would be a place to start, when it comes to Tierney. It'll lay out the sources and the narrative and show you how the poo poo all happens, and the Philip IV issues will be thoroughly underlined. If you have questions you'll have to ask, 'tell me things' is a bit vague.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 7, 2017

Balaeniceps
May 29, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Parasite Rex by Carl Zimmer is excellent and will give you a real feel for some of the issues surrounding fighting shape-shifting diseases like malaria. If you enjoy that, Zimmer's written a bunch of other pop-sci books on microbiology and diseases.

And although I've not read it yet, my mum read The Great Influenza a couple of years ago and enjoyed it so much she read it twice. It's about the Spanish flu epidemic in 1918/1919 that killed over 100 million people.

There's loads of suggestions in the "Readers also enjoyed" bit of those goodreads links.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've been listening to the audiobook of Genghis Khan and the making of the modern world and it's really engrossing.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Can any of you recommend some books that cover the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't have much to compare them to but I found Frank Dikotter's books on both subjects pretty good for someone with little knowledge on the subject

Mao's Great Famine
and
The Cultural Revolution, A People's History

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 8, 2017

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Mira posted:

Can any of you recommend some books that cover the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution?

I second Dikotter's two books. They seem to be the most up-to-date works.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Minenfeld! posted:

I second Dikotter's two books. They seem to be the most up-to-date works.

Thriced.

The first in the series is worth it as well, The Tragedy of Liberation.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

On the topic of the PRC, I'm looking for a book about China's foreign relations (both official and covert). Maybe a biography of Zhou Enlai or something? Or do Dikotter's works cover Chinese foreign policy in any detail? There are some tantalizing details in The World Was Going Our Way, which is from the USSR perspective.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I think this should cover the topic well enough.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Minenfeld! posted:

I think this should cover the topic well enough.

That looks very good, thanks.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Can anyone recommend a book that discusses the various schools of historical thought? I'm looking for an overview of how historiography and different schools of thought have changed over time.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Minenfeld! posted:

Can anyone recommend a book that discusses the various schools of historical thought? I'm looking for an overview of how historiography and different schools of thought have changed over time.

The classic work we used at university is What is History? by E.H Carr. Which talks about the then popular schools of historiography but it's 50 years old now and pretty dry for the non academic reader and maybe someone can recommend something a little bit more up to date?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ferrosol posted:

The classic work we used at university is What is History? by E.H Carr. Which talks about the then popular schools of historiography but it's 50 years old now and pretty dry for the non academic reader and maybe someone can recommend something a little bit more up to date?

Lynn Hunt's Writing History in the Global Era is very recent and pretty good for this, especially since several of today's most influential schools of history (i.e. cultural history and its subfields) literally didn't exist when Carr was writing.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Carr's book isn't really a history of history, so to speak, it's just him giving his own view of historical writing (and acts as this weird preview of the duibious argumment he'd go on to make about Stalinist collectivisation being part of an inevitable historical process.)

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I had this from one of my introductory undergrad courses. Revisiting it recently just made me think I needed something more in-depth.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

cloudchamber posted:

Carr's book isn't really a history of history, so to speak, it's just him giving his own view of historical writing (and acts as this weird preview of the duibious argumment he'd go on to make about Stalinist collectivisation being part of an inevitable historical process.)

There's definitely some uncomfortable political undertones to the book, yeah, like when he quotes dictators as though they were philosophers of history.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Anyone got anything on the Tang Dynasty?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Schizotek posted:

Anyone got anything on the Tang Dynasty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Any recommendations on books about Soviet art?