Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

pzy posted:

I predict an LTE Apple Watch demo involving a lady on a paddleboard on Lake Tahoe, weather permitting
:raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL

nerdrum posted:

how much and what series

42mm Series 2 SS SB GPS/Waterproof with a black sport band and an unopened official Apple NATO strap (black/grey) and full AppleCare. $450.

Honestly not even sure I want to sell because the TMO price plan seems to be almost $20 per month after fees for a watch plan...lame.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
These plans for the watches are highway robbery. Should be at most $2/mo. The majority of users are going to be near their drat phone anyway and the watch won't even have the LTE chip active in those scenarios.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I am on the iOS 11 GM (from public beta) and my watch has the beta profile installed but I am not getting the option to upgrade to 4.0 GM. What am I doing wrong?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“Rubiks Pubes”" post="“476362807”"]
I am on the iOS 11 GM (from public beta) and my watch has the beta profile installed but I am not getting the option to upgrade to 4.0 GM. What am I doing wrong?
[/quote]

Watch betas have never been open to the public. I don’t think the GM is any different for it?

Also with the LTE model I can just add and remove the add-on for LTE from my T-Mobile account as needed, right? So I can use it for a couple of months then just cancel when I don’t plan on being out without the phone for a while (winter months)?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Rubiks Pubes posted:

There's a DIFFERENT beta profile for the watch, even though the iOS11 beta profile makes you think if you install it to the watch you'll get it. Google a how to on watchOS4 and you'll find someone who posted their developer watch profiel that will let you get watchOS4. I did it last night, it took like 70-80 minutes to go through the WatchOS4 upgrade on my S2.

Speaking of WatchOS 4, I had a totally great 'it just works' experience today. I sat down in my office at work and pulled up my iPhone to play some music, glanced down at my watch and Now Playing was up and running!

However, I also discovered that the Music complication is just to play music from your watch, and doesn't have anything to do with Now Playing, which is totally dumb. I want a Now Playing complication for my modular watch face.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The way the crown doesn't control volume during a workout is a goddamn travesty

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I got the 4.0. Double check your profiles and stuff.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

WatchOS 4 is cool even on my 0. I really like the new Siri face.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

WatchOS 4 is cool even on my 0. I really like the new Siri face.

It's been my go to since the beta started.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

rage-saq posted:

There's a DIFFERENT beta profile for the watch, even though the iOS11 beta profile makes you think if you install it to the watch you'll get it. Google a how to on watchOS4 and you'll find someone who posted their developer watch profiel that will let you get watchOS4. I did it last night, it took like 70-80 minutes to go through the WatchOS4 upgrade on my S2.

Speaking of WatchOS 4, I had a totally great 'it just works' experience today. I sat down in my office at work and pulled up my iPhone to play some music, glanced down at my watch and Now Playing was up and running!

However, I also discovered that the Music complication is just to play music from your watch, and doesn't have anything to do with Now Playing, which is totally dumb. I want a Now Playing complication for my modular watch face.

Link it bro

Violator
May 15, 2003

xgalaxy posted:

These plans for the watches are highway robbery. Should be at most $2/mo. The majority of users are going to be near their drat phone anyway and the watch won't even have the LTE chip active in those scenarios.

I feel the same way. I would have done $5, but $10 a month to use the bandwidth I'm already paying for is crazy. LTE is a fallback solution for when the phone isn't around.

The Series 3 went from something I'm interested in to "eh, let's see how Watch OS4 does on my current device." I'm probably just being cheap but I don't know if there's $120 a year worth of LTE use for me, even with activity tracking.

I guess I need to see how much hassle it is to add/remove the watch to my plan.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

Link it bro

It's a pretty easy Google search away. Just remember that you need iOS 11 on your phone to install it. Also, once you install a Beta, or GM in this case, you cannot roll it back. You have to send it Apple so they can re-flash it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What's recommended between Aluminum and Stainless Steel

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

sellouts posted:

What's recommended between Aluminum and Stainless Steel

Steel is obviously better but aluminum is fine. Just pick what you can afford.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a website that's showing all the carriers watch plans?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's a pretty easy Google search away. Just remember that you need iOS 11 on your phone to install it. Also, once you install a Beta, or GM in this case, you cannot roll it back. You have to send it Apple so they can re-flash it.

K. Link plz

I’ve been running beta on phone for years.

Edit: I googled. You suck.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 13, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Without LTE, what are the hardware differences between the 2 and 3? I am somewhat tempted now but the LTE pricing is clearly not worth it to me, so maybe picking up a 2 second hand is a better move.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

bawfuls posted:

Without LTE, what are the hardware differences between the 2 and 3? I am somewhat tempted now but the LTE pricing is clearly not worth it to me, so maybe picking up a 2 second hand is a better move.

Thats been publicly discussed? New processor, W2 chip, barometric altimeter. The LTE also gets 16gb of storage instead of 8. There could be other stuff too like more ram, bigger battery, etc. Apple has started getting lighter on technical details of their products as they try focus their marketing efforts on what features things provide instead of minute details.
I'll flip my space black s2 for a space black S3 and cover up that awful red dot. I probably wont be activating my S3's LTE, but I could.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 13, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Steel is obviously better but aluminum is fine. Just pick what you can afford.

I spent a lot of time reading about this for the six months before I finally was able to get my watch and this is the general conclusion (with a few rare people liking aluminum more).

I decided to get the aluminum now in case I hated wearing a watch and it didn't take, with the plan to get steel next time I upgrade, if I do.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Is there a website that's showing all the carriers watch plans?

No, everyone is outraged about rumors at this point.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rick posted:

I spent a lot of time reading about this for the six months before I finally was able to get my watch and this is the general conclusion (with a few rare people liking aluminum more).

I decided to get the aluminum now in case I hated wearing a watch and it didn't take, with the plan to get steel next time I upgrade, if I do.

Steel ones are also a bit heavier but a lot of people like that. My aluminum, especially with the sport band on, is easily the most comfortable watch I’ve ever worn.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

S2 Apple Watches on the refurb store dropped in price quite a bit. 42mm starts at $279 now.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm just hoping they run out of S2s before my AppleCare runs out.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

bawfuls posted:

I think apple realizes this and got rid of the 2 to force people onto non-lte 3. On their storefront page I only see series 1 and series 3 offered now.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL

eddiewalker posted:

I'm just hoping they run out of S2s before my AppleCare runs out.

What do you mean? Then if you broke they'd replace with a 3?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

GoldfishStew posted:

What do you mean? Then if you broke they'd replace with a 3?

Due to shortages, a bunch of people have been receiving S1 watches back after sending their S0 for repair.

I've got 14 months of AppleCare left on my S2. I think it's a possibility.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

eddiewalker posted:

Due to shortages, a bunch of people have been receiving S1 watches back after sending their S0 for repair.

I've got 14 months of AppleCare left on my S2. I think it's a possibility.
It's not.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Well I mean the pre order is in like 3 days so you'd think there would be some real numbers out there.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

k.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/07/20/original-apple-watch-series-1-replacements

Violator
May 15, 2003

FCKGW posted:

The carriers announced their pricing?

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/13/16300930/apple-watch-lte-10-a-month-att-verizon-tmobile

quote:

If you’re in the market for an Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular in the US, it will cost you $10 a month for service on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. (This is after the first three months, which are free on all three carriers.) Sprint is the lone holdout to announce monthly pricing for the Apple Watch, but if it wants to stay competitive, it will likely offer a similar deal.

On Verizon, adding a smartwatch to your plan usually costs $5 a month, not $10, so it’s unclear why there is a price increase for the new Apple Watch. Both AT&T and T-Mobile have had $10 a month fees for smartwatches that share a number with your smartphone for years, but Verizon hasn’t shared that strategy, until now.

I guess the "sweet deal" or whatever they mentioned on stage was the free three months and free activation.

Violator fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 13, 2017

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

S2 Apple Watches on the refurb store dropped in price quite a bit. 42mm starts at $279 now.

Great catch. Just placed an order for one to replace my 38 mm S0.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Don't forget, retailers may have a huge clearance on series 1/2 soon. I know as series 1/2 were coming out, the series 0 watches dropped in price big time. Like a 42mm SS with link bracelet for the cost of the band alone.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

enojy posted:

Don't forget, retailers may have a huge clearance on series 1/2 soon. I know as series 1/2 were coming out, the series 0 watches dropped in price big time. Like a 42mm SS with link bracelet for the cost of the band alone.

They've been on sale for the past 2 months. Target, ATT and Nike blew out their stock the past couple weeks.

I picked up a 38mm for my wife a few weeks back from Target for $369 - $70 sale - 10% Cartwheel offer - 5% Redcard = $255. 42mms were $281

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 14, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

enojy posted:

The Series 1 hasn’t been discontinued- it got a very minor price drop but that’s it.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

FCKGW posted:

$229 to fix the broken glass on mine or $279 for a new (refurbished) watch. Wow.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Was that Lake Tahoe?:aaaaa:

I cheated... they were rehearsing via satellite uplink all week.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pzy posted:

lol

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

pzy posted:

She has the loving battery pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Aw, she was wearing AirPods, too. I was wondering why that phone call sounded so good.

• Locked thread