Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

botany posted:

i've also never seen a novel point in this eternal debate. people are posting the same old things at each other, loudly, without changing anybody's mind. it's not so much that we can't handle criticism of HRC, it's more that these discussions are tiresome as poo poo and don't lead anywhere, ever.

it's not an eternal debate if you let the debate actually happen naturally. primary chat isn't a huge part of the dems thread, entirely because most everyone has said their piece on it

another way to avoid primary chat is to not bring it up. like axeil blasting in here praising hillary slagging bernie while people were discussing healthcare

edit: dog tax

Condiv fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

botany posted:

i've also never seen a novel point in this eternal debate. people are posting the same old things at each other, loudly, without changing anybody's mind. it's not so much that we can't handle criticism of HRC, it's more that these discussions are tiresome as poo poo and don't lead anywhere, ever.
I'll have you know according to INTERNET LAW if you post your opinion more than 500 times it becomes a FACT.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

lol, it doesn't matter if he is found to be a serial killer at some point in the future; it's not why he was fired in 2017.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

BardoTheConsumer posted:

I don't blame hillary for losing. I honestly don't.

A black man became president, yet somehow the deck was stacked against Hilldawg

She lost Michigan lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I don't see what those two things have to do with each other? Seems like Hillary is at least twice removed from this thread, the Current US Politics thread. Whereas discussing what one of the parties, the Democrats, is doing in our two-party system currently is extremely relevant.

Here is the hot news on Capitol Hill today:
https://www.sanders.senate.gov/download/medicare-for-all-act?id=6CA2351C-6EAE-4A11-BBE4-CE07984813C8&download=1&inline=file
I appreciate that Sanders is doing what the party is refusing to do- push policy ideas that will tangibly benefit people and draw greater distinction between Dems and the GOP for people who may not usually vote.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Internet leftism is so loving embarrassing. "Well you made a complex point but I can't help but notice that if I deliberately misconstrue a single line you've committed racism in the fourth degree..."

Sorry for caring about racism, I guess.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

botany posted:

I empathize with the sentiment here, but I must persist that this is an important discussion to have despite the intransigence that is frequently displayed. If we refuse to critically examine Hillary and her campaign (for any reason) then we are collectively dooming ourselves to repeat the past mistakes. I've experienced this particular social situation before and believe that eventually (after much wailing and gnashing of teeth) something productive will come out of this discussion.

Also although I've never posted in the "Democrats are a waste" thread I'm not familiar with anyone who is making the specific points about Hillary that I am: ie that she was a skilled/credentialed administrator but not an actual leader. I haven't really seen anyone criticize her failure to present a vision of the future that the American people could/wanted to embrace, nor am I familiar with critiques that center on how her lack of willingness to accept accountability for what occurred on her watch demonstrates that she had a fundamental character flaw that made her unfit for the role of POTUS. POTUS serves as the figurative and literal leader of the American people. An uncharismatic administrator (no matter how qualified) was always going to be at a massive disadvantage. Hillary refused to even countenance this possibility, let alone take actions to address the issue.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

then why run on anything if the possibility of failure is so terrifying

You don't have to guarantee success. But running on specific promise without any clear path to delivery is how you end up with poo poo shows like the Obamacare repeal. What's the point of winning 2018 and 2020 on Medicare for all and then spending four years arguing about how exactly you remake a sixth of the economy? If Obama walked into Congress in 2009 and said "hey I campaigned on eliminating underwriting, let's make it happen", he never would've passed the ACA.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

boner confessor posted:

leftists robotically repeating dogma which has failed to have any real world impact, you say :thunk:
no, that's actually not at all what i'm saying. that isn't even close :confused:

Condiv posted:

it's not an eternal debate if you let the debate actually happen naturally. primary chat isn't a huge part of the dems thread, entirely because most everyone has said their piece on it

of course it is. once the first group have tired themselves out it's only a matter of time before somebody wanders into the thread, drops a line about clinton and like the world's most annoying energizer bunnies you all go again. there's a really good reason primary chat is against the rules, and i'm sincerely hoping we keep it that way.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

That would be an interesting point PJ if it were actually a discussion and not the same 5 points being regurgitated by the same posters who each think they're dunking on each other.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

A black man became president, yet somehow the deck was stacked against Hilldawg

She lost Michigan lol

For some reason I can't help but feel that there was better support for any Dem candidate in 2008 than in 2016. Maybe involving some person named Katrina?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Taerkar posted:

For some reason I can't help but feel that there was better support for any Dem candidate in 2008 than in 2016. Maybe involving some person named Katrina?

Running Barrack Obama and running Hillary Clinton isn't the same thing.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

botany posted:

of course it is. once the first group have tired themselves out it's only a matter of time before somebody wanders into the thread, drops a line about clinton and like the world's most annoying energizer bunnies you all go again. there's a really good reason primary chat is against the rules, and i'm sincerely hoping we keep it that way.

i'm guessing you don't actually read the thread

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

gently caress you all here too.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I get the reason why Bernie outlaws private insurance his plan, but man is that an awfully difficult thing to ask Democratic politicians to embrace, since that carries risk of enormous backlash from the public.

Personally I think studies have shown that if you make the government plan generous enough, and allow employers to buy into it, almost all will go with the government option anyway, thus making private insurance all but obsolete. I think that's a more politically viable approach then running on a plan that essentially tells people they can't keep their plan anymore, even if the government option is better.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Taerkar posted:

But now if you ask 30% of republicans they'll tell you Obama was golfin during Katrina.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
https://twitter.com/vaughnastudillo/status/908029721098674176

e: Suspect reportedly in custody.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 13, 2017

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

gently caress you all here too.

At least offer to take me to dinner or a movie first.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Prester Jane posted:

If Hillary actually was a real leader (and not a puffed up administrator) that book would be a list of where she went wrong and how she thinks future Democrats can avoid her mistakes. Instead it is an ode to why she thinks she deserved to win and why she would have been the bestest administrator ever. It doesn't even matter whether that is how she privately felt about the matter or not, a leader would have written a book that they thought could help improve the party, nto a book that kvetches ab out how unfair everything was and how her failure to lead is a result of the incompetence/malfeasance of outside actors.

Have you read the book? I ask because I listened to Monday's episode of Pod Save America like 30 minutes ago and they had a journalist on who read the book and said basically that it is what you said it should be and not what you said it is. Specifically, the journalist said that Hillary thoroughly takes ownership of the election result as being her fault to a large degree in the book. I haven't read it so it could be either as far as I know personally, but the incongruity is striking.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 13, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

that's terrible, hope they pull through

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Condiv posted:

i'm guessing you don't actually read the thread

the dems thread? god no. every now and then i drop in and decide it's bad for my bloodpressure. but i read this one and the trump thread, and we've had the same points made by largely the same people over and over.

also: if you've had such a deep, intelligent discussion in the dems thread that i somehow missed, great! the topic has been debated! no need to do it again in another thread!

also also: if you absolutely can't stand not having this discussion, here's a genuine suggestion: ask the mods for a quarantine thread specifically about the primaries. that way you filter out all the discussion about current dem politics from the dems thread and it doesn't spill over into the trump thread or USpol. you can all come together and debate the primary in the quarantine thread that way. i promise i'll drop in every now and then and point out that HRC won by 3 million votes.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Condiv posted:

that's terrible, hope they pull through

Ones dead reportedly.

Happy Wednesday America!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Eletriarnation posted:

Have you read the book? I ask because I listened to Monday's episode of Pod Save America like 30 minutes ago and they had a journalist on who read the book and said basically that it is what you said it should be and not what you said it is. Specifically, the journalist said that Hillary thoroughly owns the election result as being her fault to a large degree in the book. I haven't read it so it could be either as far as I know personally, but the incongruity is striking.

The truth is that she doesn't know why she lost. She's just angry and lashing out. it's not productive at all.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
So no, you haven't read it.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mcmagic posted:

The truth is that she doesn't know why she lost. She's just angry and lashing out. it's not productive at all.

The best part of the world today is left wingers exhuberantly regurgitating right wing talking points. This is the actual reason the party is boned.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BardoTheConsumer posted:

The best part of the world today is left wingers exhuberantly regurgitating right wing talking points. This is the actual reason the party is boned.

No. It's boned because clueless people like Hillary Clinton have too much power.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

mcmagic posted:

Running Barrack Obama and running Hillary Clinton isn't the same thing.

Your ability to miss the point is the stuff of legends.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Eletriarnation posted:

Have you read the book? I ask because I listened to Monday's episode of Pod Save America like 30 minutes ago and they had a journalist on who read the book and said basically that it is what you said it should be and not what you said it is. Specifically, the journalist said that Hillary thoroughly takes ownership of the election result as being her fault to a large degree in the book. I haven't read it so it could be either as far as I know personally, but the incongruity is striking.

insofar as I know its not released in full yet, I have jsut read reviews and a few excerpts. There are a number of things publicly avilable right now that seem pretty congruent with my stance. For starters apparently Hillary thinks right now is a good time to start slinging poo poo at Sanders:

The Independant posted:

According to excerpts of her new book, What Happened, that have surfaced online
ADVERTISEMENT

, Ms Clinton accused Mr Sanders of paving the way for Donald Trump's "Crooked Hillary" campaign.

Mr Sanders, an independent senator, had challenged Ms Clinton for the Democratic nomination for president. Ms Clinton wrote that her opponent “had to resort to innuendo and impugning my character” because they “agreed on so much".

“When I finally challenged Bernie during a debate to name a single time I changed a position or a vote because of a financial contribution, he couldn't come up with anything,” Ms Clinton said. “Nonetheless, his attacks caused lasting damage, making it harder to unify progressives in the general election and paving the way for Trump's 'Crooked Hillary' campaign.”

While Mr Sanders eventually campaigned for Ms Clinton following his defeat in the primaries, Ms Clinton did not hold back in her book, comparing the senator to the “deranged hitchhiker” in the 1998 Ben Stiller movie There’s Something About Mary.

Not a single mention of any of the times she adhered to the letter of the law while clearly breaking the spirit in order to enrich herself- "Crooked Hillary" stuck because Bernie Sanders criticized her during the campaign. This is not a demonstration of leadership, this is her lack of self-awareness manifesting itself.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/clinton-i-urged-08-supporters-to-back-obama-didnt-get-that-respect-from-sanders-and-his-supporters/

How is this statement at all defensible?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

botany posted:

the dems thread? god no. every now and then i drop in and decide it's bad for my bloodpressure. but i read this one and the trump thread, and we've had the same points made by largely the same people over and over.

also: if you've had such a deep, intelligent discussion in the dems thread that i somehow missed, great! the topic has been debated! no need to do it again in another thread!

i didn't even really debate the primary or the general in this thread in response to axeil slagging bernie. I just pointed out that bernie's doing well for the party. you're a bit oversensitive botany

unless primary chat includes all discussion of anything bernie or hillary related, at which point i still think you're oversensitive

quote:

also also: if you absolutely can't stand not having this discussion, here's a genuine suggestion: ask the mods for a quarantine thread specifically about the primaries. that way you filter out all the discussion about current dem politics from the dems thread and it doesn't spill over into the trump thread or USpol. you can all come together and debate the primary in the quarantine thread that way. i promise i'll drop in every now and then and point out that HRC won by 3 million votes.

why would a quarantine thread be necessary, at all? just let people discuss stuff and stop complaining. if they're discussing boring/annoying stuff, skip their posts. that's what i do when i see tedious mounds of posts

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mozi posted:

So no, you haven't read it.

How is her book relevant to Current US Politics?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Prester Jane posted:

insofar as I know its not released in full yet, I have jsut read reviews and a few excerpts. There are a number of things publicly avilable right now that seem pretty congruent with my stance. For starters apparently Hillary thinks right now is a good time to start slinging poo poo at Sanders:

Not a single mention of any of the times she adhered to the letter of the law while clearly breaking the spirit in order to enrich herself- "Crooked Hillary" stuck because Bernie Sanders criticized her during the campaign. This is not a demonstration of leadership, this is her lack of self-awareness manifesting itself.

Maybe she addresses those things in the rest of the 500 page book that didn't get quoted in that article? Just a possibility. Fwiw pretty much all of the people quoting select paragraphs like that article have focused on what she says about Bernie, whereas reviews from people who've read the whole thing say it's more even handed than the leaks make it appear (that I've seen anyway).

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

My only thought on the matter, relating to Bernies healthcare plan is that the way this is supposed to work is that we say that's great Bernie I agree with the general premise, but can we amend it to do this for this reason? This is good, it's engaging with ideas for policy.

If Hillary Clinton wants to propose a bill I'll give it a look in deterrence to her prominence and career as public servant but I don't see that yet.

We need ideas, not people to believe in.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

How is her book relevant to Current US Politics?

What, last November is ancient history now?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Mustached Demon posted:

Ones dead reportedly.

Happy Wednesday America!

that sucks

in brighter news:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/907990867553800192

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The price we pay for freedom. :911:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Majorian posted:

Why does this matter to you, if he caucuses with the Democrats? I still don't understand why this is such an odious thing to Clintonistas. A lot of Democratic voters aren't registered Democrats, and yet the Dems need their votes desperately.

Clinton's answer to this is because she had to defend Obama and his policies from Sander's attacks during the primaries (she even outright says she was shocked she was forced to defend a Democratic President in the Democratic Primary in some of her interviews), and that she was hampered by Sander's making unsupported promises with no implementation plan that she had to respond to but was slow to do so since she actually backed up her plans with real expectations for success.

Honestly I didn't follow the primaries so I don't know how true the first fact is, but the second is hypocrisy and self-delusion at it's finest.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

RuanGacho posted:

My only thought on the matter, relating to Bernies healthcare plan is that the way this is supposed to work is that we say that's great Bernie I agree with the general premise, but can we amend it to do this for this reason? This is good, it's engaging with ideas for policy.

If Hillary Clinton wants to propose a bill I'll give it a look in deterrence to her prominence and career as public servant but I don't see that yet.

We need ideas, not people to believe in.

:agreed:

hopefully, bernie's bill is good and the stuff i heard about copays being part of it isn't true

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Bernouts won't stop harassing me. Like nettles in a field they wound me wherever I tread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Condiv posted:

:agreed:

hopefully, bernie's bill is good and the stuff i heard about copays being part of it isn't true

Apparently the only copays in the bill are for prescriptions

• Locked thread