Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

This is what I was reeferring to, yeah. :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

mcmagic posted:

He wins this seat by 50 points right?

More like 40 points.

quote:

Mitt Romney would handily beat Democrat Jenny Wilson if the two competed for the Senate seat from Utah next year a new poll shows.

The poll, commissioned by UtahPolicy.com, finds Romney snatching 64 percent of the vote to Wilson’s 26 percent with 10 percent undecided.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Was anyone trying to say Romney wasn't awful? I mean I recall him coming out strongly against Nazi's recently but that's kind of a low bar to clear.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

He wins this seat by 50 points right?

if not more, yeah

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

mistaya posted:

Was anyone trying to say Romney wasn't awful? I mean I recall him coming out strongly against Nazi's recently but that's kind of a low bar to clear.

He's a centrist republican who probably buys into the economic message moreso than the lovely suthern cunservateeive no-loving-with-the-lights-on wing of the party.

He's at least not an idealogue to the extent that Romney Care fuckin' exists.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mistaya posted:

"Strongly coming out against Nazis is a low bar to clear." - America, 2017.

To give a serious answer, people were saying his twitter statement on Nazis was better than Hillary's twitter statement on Nazis and thus Hillary is bad and wrong.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I'm with mcmagic here. The Republicans wanted brinkmanship, they can have it. The Democrats should demand no less than full DACA citizenship and the end of the debt ceiling and if the Republicans don't like it, they can beg the Freedom Caucus for votes.

I agree, we should sit back and do nothing as 800,000 people are rounded up by ICE, detained and then deported to countries they've largely never been in or known that way we can later work on a bill legalize the ones that managed to escape deportation at some future unknown time when Dems are the majority power again.

That's a much better plan than continuing DACA now so people don't get hosed up and working on a full DREAM act for later possibly with Trump support so the GOP doesn't completely stonewall it like they want to.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Hillary made the mistake of using a string of tweets instead of one big manly tweet, so her statement got diluted and pulled apart even though it was fine. Microcosm of 2016 right there, gently caress.

Twitter is a disease, is what I'm saying.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

evilweasel posted:

if not more, yeah

He won it by 72.6% in 2012.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I agree, we should sit back and do nothing as 800,000 people are rounded up by ICE, detained and then deported to countries they've largely never been in or known that way we can later work on a bill legalize the ones that managed to escape deportation at some future unknown time when Dems are the majority power again.

That's a much better plan than continuing DACA now so people don't get hosed up and working on a full DREAM act for later possibly with Trump support so the GOP doesn't completely stonewall it like they want to.

What are you talking about? The debt ceiling is up in December and the Dream Act is already written.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

mistaya posted:

It doesn't matter much, but at the very least his father was a decent person and a hypothetical good influence, as opposed to say, Fred Trump: known klansman.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Quick, somebody tell Trump that UHC would completely obliterate Obamacare overnight, and you could name it Trumpcare Gold

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

enraged_camel posted:

It's Wednesday and we haven't had any Trump scandals.

I'm pretty worried, guys. :ohdear:

Could also be nobody wants to risk their story being buried in hurricane stuff so they're holding off.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If they pass a watered down DACA continuation this year, the DREAM act is dead.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Trump Admin is letting For-Profit Colleges prosecuted under Obama off the hook.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trumps-education-department-delays-student-loan-forgiveness/

quote:

Trump's Education Department delays student loan forgiveness

The Department of Education may allow For-Profit Colleges to collect loans ordered to be cancelled by the Obama Administration.

Tens of thousands of former students who say they were swindled by for-profit colleges are being left in limbo as the Trump administration delays action on requests for loan forgiveness, according to court documents obtained by The Associated Press.

The Education Department is sitting on more than 65,000 unapproved claims as it rewrites Obama-era rules that sought to better protect students. The rewrite had been sought by the industry.

The for-profit colleges have found allies in the new administration and President Donald Trump, who earlier this year paid $25 million to settle charges his Trump University misled customers. And it's yet another example of the administration hiring officials to oversee the industries where they had worked previously.

The Obama administration went hard after for-profit colleges that lured students into taking big loans with false promises. Chains including Corinthian Colleges and ITT Technical Institute were forced to close, and Obama's Education Department approved about $655 million in loan cancellations for their students.

The Obama rules would have forbidden schools from forcing students to sign agreements that waived their right to sue. Defrauded students would have had a quicker path to get their loans erased, and schools, not taxpayers, could have been held responsible for the costs.

Among the claims still pending are more than 45,000 filed by Corinthian students and over 7,000 by ITT students.

In an interview with the AP, DeVos said, "Let's be clear, no student should be defrauded, and in case of fraud there should be remedy. But we also know this approach has been unevenly applied, and if there's going to be regulation around some institutions we believe it needs to be fairly applied across the board. Everyone wants to get something for nothing, but we are going to make sure that only those who were truly defrauded are eligible."

In August, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos picked Julian Schmoke Jr., a former associate dean at DeVry University, as head of the department's enforcement unit. She also has tapped a top aide to Florida's attorney general who was involved in the decision not to pursue legal action against Trump University to serve as the agency's top lawyer. More than 2,000 requests for loan forgiveness are pending from DeVry students.

The department defended its decision, saying Schmoke served only in an academic capacity at DeVry and was not involved in admissions, recruitment or corporate administrative activities.

Other Trump administration agencies also have hired staffers who previously worked on behalf of the industry they now regulate. For example, Nancy Beck, deputy assistant administrator at the Environmental Protection Agency, used to work at the American Chemistry Council, the industry's leading trade group.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

mcmagic posted:

If they pass a watered down DACA continuation this year, the DREAM act is dead.

Okay, so what's the solution then mcmagic? Or have you resigned yourself to condemning 800k people to suffer?

I know what you're gonna say "Well they should Pass the Dream Act!" which yeah they should, but how the gently caress are they supposed to do that? Pray the GOP finds a conscious deep down in their souls and vote for the DREAM act instead of playing to the base they've cultivated on years of campaigning on soft racial cleansing?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trumps-education-department-delays-student-loan-forgiveness/

A department headed by DeVos is going to gently caress over students while letting for-profit bullshit schools face no repercussions from being giant cons? I'M SHOCKED!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dr. VooDoo posted:

A department headed by DeVos is going to gently caress over students while letting for-profit bullshit schools face no repercussions from being giant cons? I'M SHOCKED!

Actively changing policy to require people to pay loans that were scheduled to be cancelled because the schools were shut down for fraud is pretty impressive.

There isn't even a for-profit school left for them to defend in some of these cases.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Perfect is the enemy of good.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

quote:

"Let's be clear, no student should be defrauded, and in case of fraud there should be remedy. But we also know this approach has been unevenly applied, and if there's going to be regulation around some institutions we believe it needs to be fairly applied across the board. Everyone wants to get something for nothing..."

I like how noted god-awful-human-being Betsy Devos is implying that students who were defrauded by phony for-profit colleges are trying to get something for nothing in getting their loans cleared.

Pretty ironic when you consider getting something for nothing is exactly what these colleges did when they took federal loan money and then dispensed no education.

The students instead got nothing for something, which apparently is how Devos would like it to be.

God, she's a tremendous rear end in a top hat.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I can't remember if this is the thread she posts in that I read but Prester Jane's blog is the second hit for "random capitalization schizophrenia" which I was googling for a post on an unrelated sports forum, so thank you for that!

e: She wrote a blog post about that subject to be clear

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 13, 2017

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Actively changing policy to require people to pay loans that were scheduled to be cancelled because the schools were shut down for fraud is pretty impressive.

There isn't even a for-profit school left for them to defend in some of these cases.

DeVos and Devil have the same amount of letters...this evil, usurious, greedy and malicious white bitch who feeds on the souls of children is growing into her final form.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
After a meeting with House moderates, Trump says the rich may pay higher taxes lmfao

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/09/13/trump-hurricanes-mean-tax-cuts-more-important-than-ever/661040001/ posted:

WASHINGTON – President Trump is again trying his hand at bipartisanship – and even suggested that rich people may be taxed higher under a plan he would negotiate with congressional Democrats.

Trump said he expects wealthy Americans to be "pretty much where they are" under a new tax plan – but it's possible their tax bills could increase.

"If they have to go higher, they'll go higher, frankly," Trump told reporters after meeting with a group of Democratic and Republican House members who could hold the balance of power on close votes.

Trump also scheduled a private dinner at the White House with congressional Democratic leaders, Sen. Charles Schumer of New York and Rep. Nancy Pelosi of California.

The meetings come just one week after his debt ceiling agreement with the Democratic leaders Trump somewhat affectionately called "Chuck and Nancy" angered some Republicans and scrambled the expectations for their legislative strategy through the end of the year – including their opposition to any tax hike as part of a reform package.

Buoyed by last week's deal, Trump appeared confident about an even bigger agreement over taxes.

“The rich will not be gaining at all with this plan," Trump said. "We are looking for the middle class and we are looking for jobs – jobs being the economy. So we’re looking at middle class and we’re looking at jobs."

Earlier, Trump tweeted: "The approval process for the biggest Tax Cut and Tax Reform package in the history of our country will soon begin. Move fast Congress!"

In pushing new legislation with Democrats, Trump has argued that cutting taxes and simplifying the tax code will spur economic growth, helping recovery in communities damaged in the recent storms.

Most of the names on the White House's guest list for the meeting with House moderates – eight Democrats, five Republicans – belong to the self-described “Problem Solvers” caucus, led by Reps. Tom Reed, R-N.Y., and Rep. Josh Gottheimer, D-N.J.

Despite Trump's enthusiasm for a deal, skeptics note that that neither the Trump administration nor Congress have a specific tax plan yet – the focus of a series of meetings Trump has held in recent days. And others questioned the relation between tax reform and hurricane relief – including key congressional Democrats such as Schumer.

Criticizing the president's tweet, Schumer said tax reform should benefit the middle class, not the wealthy – and should not be tied to hurricane relief at all. "With all due respect to the president, a tax cut, particularly one for the very wealthy, is not going to help Florida or Texas rebuild from these storms," the Senate Democratic leader said.

Economic analyst Stan Collender, a professor of public policy at Georgetown University, said the president has no way to leverage hurricane relief against a tax bill when it comes to votes in Congress.

"Trump isn't going to veto a hurricane relief bill if it doesn't include tax reform and Congress isn't going to be ready to do tax reform when the next relief dollars are needed," Collender said. "More than anything, this shows that Trump doesn't understand legislative politics or process.

While Trump says he wants to work on tax reform with Democrats – a group he often ignored during the health care debate earlier this year – some Republicans also questioned whether that strategy would work.

Sen. Pat Toomey, R-Pa., pointed to an August letter from 45 Senate Democrats saying they would not cooperate on plan that cuts taxes for the wealthy, increased the federal budget deficit, or allowed Republicans to pass a bill on their own.

"If you look at the conditions that they stipulate for working with us on a tax bill it's pretty clear they're not interested in working with us," Toomey said Wednesday on MSNBC.

Yet Republicans are wary after last week, when, in an apparent rebuke to the leaders of Republican congressional majority, Trump cut a deal with Schumer and Pelosi, securing a three-month extension of the debt ceiling and the current federal spending plan.

And Trump's White House dinner meeting with Schumer and Pelosi could hold promise for cooperation on other fronts.

Schumer and Pelosi are pushing Trump to change his health care policies – and protect undocumented immigrants who were brought into the country illegally by their parents. Trump has announced the end of the Obama-era policy that protected these 800,000 young immigrants from deportation, and gave Congress six months to fix it.

On Tuesday, the White House appeared to try to clear the way for a deal on protecting the so-called DREAMers, a move which could have bipartisan backing in Congress.

White House legislative director Marc Short said Trump is not insisting Congress fund a wall along the southern U.S. border as part of a legislative fix to address the fate of DREAMers. Trump is interested "in solving the issue of DACA," Short said, and “believes this is an issue Congress has failed on."

More: Trump official: White House may not link DREAMers to border wall funding

Trump's bipartisan push this week began at dinner Tuesday night at the White House with a group of senators in both parties.

The White House said that Trump and his guests discussed "advancing the administration’s legislative priorities, in particular tax cuts for the middle class."

One of the Democratic dinner guests, Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia, lauded the session as "productive."

While Manchin called for "a simpler tax code that lowers rates for West Virginians and incentivizes Main Street businesses," he also said that cuts should not further contribute to a federal debt that now exceeds $20 trillion.

"We must do this without adding to our staggering debt," said Manchin, who faces a tough re-election battle next year.

House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., who has clashed with Trump on some issues, said he would "love to have the Democrats supporting and working with us in a constructive way on tax reform," but he pointedly added that "we’re going to do it no matter what.”

Stop all this winning at once I declare

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

sharknado slashfic posted:

I can't remember if this is the thread she posts in that I read but Prester Jane's blog is the second hit for "random capitalization schizophrenia" which I was googling for a post on an unrelated sports forum, so thank you for that!

Lest people think you're an rear end in a top hat, I want to make it clear that Prester Jane has written a blog post called "Schizophrenia and Randomly Capitalized Words"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

HonorableTB posted:

After a meeting with House moderates, Trump says the rich may pay higher taxes lmfao

*monocle pops off, votes for impeachment*

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hastings posted:

DeVos and Devil have the same amount of letters...this evil, usurious, greedy and malicious white bitch who feeds on the souls of children is growing into her final form.

Don't you dare compare Satan to that sack of filth.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

HonorableTB posted:

Trump going to get done more than Obama when it comes to taxing the rich :stare:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Might just be some wishful nth dimensional chess thinking, but Hillary walking into the spotlight and waving her book around seems like a great way to distract right wingers from what their prez is doing.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

counterpoint: pandas

Sir, I present to you..the otter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

Trump going to get done more than Obama when it comes to taxing the rich :stare:

He's talking out his rear end with no actual policy behind it because he's repeating words from a conversation that was just spoken in his vicinity. Same as ever. It'll make the wealthy grumble but then they'll make a few phone calls and nothing will change.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dogs are the best pet.

Also, Orrin hatch weed pun statement, and trump wanting to possibly raise taxes on the rich, if I could take two things back in time to the 90's with me it'd be the biff tannen lottery records book and the records of the crazy, unbelievable bullshit that has happened nearly every day during the trump presidency

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

hot take: it's a good thing that the idiot president is being led by Democrats to reasonable policy that doesn't gently caress over a ton of people

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Carlosologist posted:

hot take: it's a good thing that the idiot president is being led by Democrats to reasonable policy that doesn't gently caress over a ton of people

But my purity!

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HonorableTB posted:

"After a meeting with ________________, Trump says ___________________."

A weather vane has the same function but is far more useful.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hastings posted:

Wrong kind of otter.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hastings posted:

He was good in Sherlock and Dr. Strange but I'm not sure he can play characters who aren't rear end in a top hat geniuses.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Overwined posted:

Woah woah woah, is Orrin Hatch :420: cool :420:????

This is a very weird thing, even in a year that will become legendary for its weirdness.

I'm trying to renormalize my face but it's kind of stuck on :psyduck:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He was good in Sherlock and Dr. Strange but I'm not sure he can play characters who aren't rear end in a top hat geniuses.

this is funny because bendict cumberback really does have a weird flat face like an otter

I mean I understand why some people would find him attractive because he is striking in appearance. but drat he's strikingly ugly imho

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Maybe Hatch or someone he loves has some kind of disease that medical marijuana can help alleviate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ooops

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/908014646048821248

quote:

The man President Trump nominated to be deputy administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has withdrawn from consideration after NBC News raised questions about his history of falsifying records during the Bush administration.

“Given the distraction this will cause the agency in a time when they cannot afford to lose focus, I have withdrawn from my nomination,” Daniel A. Craig said on Wednesday.

A 2011 investigation into Craig by the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Inspector General and the FBI reportedly concluded that he had violated conflict-of-interest laws after Hurricane Katrina.

• Locked thread