Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm sure it's just the lighting, but the towel looks like an auto mechanic just washed up in the sink.

Its a loving grey towel. You guys nitpick the stupidest poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

So recently my neighbor has decided to build a garage in his backyard. I didn't have an issue with it, until he decided to make it a huge two story garage. It now blocks a huge amount of sunlight from our backyard, and in general is a huge eyesore.

After doing some research, our county requires a 7' setback from the side and rear of the property lines. My neighbor is definitely maybe 2' from our property line, and about 4' from the adjacent neighbor (corner lot neighbor) property line. I also looked online for a permit for his garage based on the address, and the garage definitely does not have a permit.

Thread

Ground level gallery

Drone gallery

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

LOL that thing is violating property line easements, utility easements, the county restrictions having to do with storm water runoff into the Chesapeake (no more than 40% coverage of any residential lot), and a whole bunch of building codes. It's not even on a foundation.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Wait until it's nearly done to knock it down.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

peanut posted:

Wait until it's nearly done to crash a drone carrying a payload of molotovs and additional gasoline.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

judging by the dude's adherence to code and common sense, i can only imagine what the electrical's gonna be like in there

"don't use the welder when the coffee maker's on. just trust me."

edit: ok is there just some crazy distortion or is that garage pretty much house-sized

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 11, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the ground level photos do suggest that yes, it's the size of a house.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not a garage. :ssh:

It’s an illegal domicile in the making.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, no loving way that is intended to be a garage.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, no loving way that is intended to be a garage.

i was gonna ask what you do with the second floor on a garage. all i could come up with was 'machinery large enough you shouldn't be putting it up there' and 'fire hazards'

oh god if it's an illegal domicile he'll presumably have to run sewage. i'm sure that'll go GREAT.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

This is eerily similar to a situation that developed after I built my garage in 2004. I built the very largest thing that our township's codes would permit. I went from a 1930s l'il garage of about 170-SF to a 2-story structure with a 600-SF footprint and a second floor large enough to walk around in (effectively 1000-SF...but, since my staircase is hinged and could conceiveably be hauled up, it counts as temporary, so the 2nd level doesn't count towards the overall footage. Hey, I didn't write the code, I just conformed to it).

The difference is that I went through the permitting process (somewhat similar to running barefoot through a junkyard, in slow-motion), and was cleared, as well as granted an easement to set back closer to my back neighbor's property line. Had to have a public hearing, notify every neighbor within 300' of the perimeter of my property, take out an ad, the whole nine yards.

A year later, I hear through the grapevine that the neighbor behind me is pissed because he feels my garage is too big & is "cutting off his breeze." He evidently complained to the township, who pulled my paperwork; he admitted that held received a copy of the public hearing notice. They basically told him to gently caress off.

(edit2) Mine is large enought to be a small house. It would not be difficult to make it into one.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 11, 2017

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

SoundMonkey posted:

i was gonna ask what you do with the second floor on a garage. all i could come up with was 'machinery large enough you shouldn't be putting it up there' and 'fire hazards'

oh god if it's an illegal domicile he'll presumably have to run sewage. i'm sure that'll go GREAT.

You store things up there. Xmas decorations, china, and things that belong in the dumpster.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

SoundMonkey posted:

In-laws, if your garage is big enough.

PainterofCrap posted:

This is eerily similar to a situation that developed after I built my garage in 2004.

I don't think my township has specific limitations on detached garage sizes. Near as I can tell, it a) can't sit further forward than the house, b) requires a four-foot setback, c) can be no taller than twenty feet and be no more than one story (though I don't think space under the roof counts), d) cannot exceed (when all other structures are taken into consideration) a certain percentage of the total plot. I'll find out in the next few years, I guess, since it's on my list of improvements.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

StormDrain posted:

You store things up there. Xmas decorations, china, and things that belong in the dumpster.

so fire hazards then ok

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

when you read "some heat is actually lost through outlet covers and switches" but don't keep reading to "so buy weather sealing kits for them"

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Grover parachute account spotted.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

Either storage or room to put in a lift. Admittedly if you're putting in a lift, there should be a foundation because they tend to be heavy when you take into account the weight of a car on one.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Is this you or just an interesting post?

If it is you--get rid of all the internet stuff and either call or visit your town's/county's Inspections and Permitting (http://www.aacounty.org/departments/inspections-and-permits/building-inspection/index.html)
Heck do it online: http://www.aacounty.org/services-and-programs/building-and-grading-violations

I suspect within 24hours of your visit (would be an hour or two in my area) that guy will have a stop work order. Based on the area he'll need to pull permits to demolish the structure within a certain time frame or the county will demolish the building. If the country demolishes the building--the costs could very well force a foreclosure on the property. I would hate to think of what the fine would be... I live in bumfuckville and the fine for that would be a bit over $6,000. Would not be surprised if it was $10K or more in that part of Maryland.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HycoCam posted:

Is this you or just an interesting post?

Just an interesting post.

I trawl reddit.com/r/legaladvice for entertainment.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Just an interesting post.

I trawl reddit.com/r/legaladvice for entertainment.

Well--now I'm hooked. I would tell the guy to delete his imgur and reddit stuff--but following along I suspect is going to be more interesting than learning new ways to install sunken tubs.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

You really should read the reddit post.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

duz posted:

You really should read the reddit post.

That is what has me hooked! :) I suspect the reddit thread OP has no idea how vicious the Inspections department can be when they feel like someone is trying to pull one over on them. I'm wondering how long until the garage is down. Plus, inspectors I know would start checking everything. Pools aren't considered impervious in my area, but getting caught building a deck around an above ground pool without a permit would get you a nice fine. (Appears there have been no permits on the property since 1999 and that was for sewer.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you’re reading /r/legaladvice (hereafter “LA”) for entertainment, /r/BestofLegalAdvice (hereafter “BOLA”) gets most of the good stuff—as well as posts where OP is in the wrong that you’d never catch on LA because Reddit’s voting system hides them. Here’s a list of those backfires (mostly not entertaining; the point is that it happens a lot).

Years‐old compilation 1

ditto 2

BOLA sorted by top scoring of all time

LA sorted by top scoring of all time

There’s a decent amount of crappy construction content between slumlords, bad neighbours, shady contractors, and HOAs. Rarely photos, though.

[VA] How can I convince my apartment complex to fix their idiotic, dangerous stairs? | Update

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I wonder what it takes to get proper authorization to deface a notice

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

SoundMonkey posted:

Nothing unsafe about having a nice workshop on the second floor of a garage. Maybe don't put your 2000lb cast iron band saw up there, but otherwise, I'd love to have a 2 story garage.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
A garage designed with that in mind would have no problem with a 2000 pound bandsaw. Not the average garage, and certainly not that thing, though. Our woodshop was built to drive cars into, and is on the second floor due to flooding.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The garage attic is where the mother in law stays.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

GreenNight posted:

The garage attic is where the mother in law Mister Fonzarelli stays.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

GreenNight posted:

Somebody is old...

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

GreenNight posted:

StormDrain posted:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Twinkie Czar posted:

My biggest objection is that there's no where to leave the soap other than a really handy place to leave the soap that, incidentally, has literally no other possible function unless you're one of those loving fedora-wearing anime-watching MtG-playing nasty goons who think shower beer is something you need.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I used to live in an in-law studio apartment built on top of a detached garage. It was actually pretty nice, plenty of privacy, air conditioning, free Internet and the landlord also covered all the utilities in the rent.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Panfilo posted:

the landlord also covered all the utilities in the rent.

Because there was no separate meter and he thus had no way to charge you for them?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you don't have a line-item for something on your bill, it's FREE.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Not really crappy construction in itself, but it fits:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Drake_263 posted:

Not really crappy construction in itself, but it fits:

Power outage and they want to backfeed half their panel and shock the guy on the lines outside expecting to handle dead wires?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

Power outage and they want to backfeed half their panel and shock the guy on the lines outside expecting to handle dead wires?

Usually Christmas lights strung backwards.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kid sinister posted:

GAY ROBO SEX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Last one of those I saw was for a tiny camper