Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yeah, but I'm going to be stuck in a bed and not able to place anything in the normal laptop resting spot...so I'm trying anything at this point. Well that or just play stuff on the Retropie and watch Godzilla.

I think trying to play a Paradox game with a Steam controller while sick will only make you sicker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gort posted:

I think trying to play a Paradox game with a Steam controller while sick will only make you sicker

It's already indication of a very sick mind.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Didn't a Paradox dev once west a EU Rome 2 tshirt in the background of some video before? That was fun.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Didn't a Paradox dev once west a EU Rome 2 tshirt in the background of some video before? That was fun.

Wasn't it a Total War Rome 2 shirt?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Friend Commuter posted:

Wasn't it a Total War Rome 2 shirt?

Gamescom 2014, it wasn't a TW shirt.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Johan had a EU rome 2 shirt at paradox con this year.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gort posted:

Probably, but what do you think of the keyboard mentioned earlier?

Like I said the biggest issue is kind of the font size even on a 55 inch tv.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Probably, but what do you think of the keyboard mentioned earlier?

Like I said the biggest issue is kind of the font size even on a 55 inch tv.

Just lol if you haven't played enough Paradox games that you don't need to be able to read it to know what everything says.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eh screw it I'll just setup a mouse pad of some type.

EDIT: Oh god there is a bigger text mod for Stellaris and it actually works I can play from the big comfy couch with no problems. It's perfectly readable.
:getin:

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 14, 2017

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

MazelTovCocktail posted:

there is a bigger text mod for Stellaris

:psyduck:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Eh screw it I'll just setup a mouse pad of some type.

EDIT: Oh god there is a bigger text mod for Stellaris and it actually works I can play from the big comfy couch with no problems. It's perfectly readable.
:getin:

From what I gather Civ5 is very playable with a controller.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Just wish I could find one for EUIV, CK2, and I guess HOI4, because this mod absolutely works and makes big comfy couch play totally possible.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 14, 2017

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Doesn't Stellaris have that built-in, though?

Edit: Yeah, it does. UI scaling, in the settings. Not used it though, maybe it's bad?

Gort fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 14, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gort posted:

Doesn't Stellaris have that built-in, though?

Edit: Yeah, it does. UI scaling, in the settings. Not used it though, maybe it's bad?

Ah I had no idea about that. Is there anyway it can be eventually retrofitted into other games?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Just wish I could find one for EUIV, CK2, and I guess HOI4, because this mod absolutely works and makes big comfy couch play totally possible.

More Readable Fonts for CK2 maybe? I haven't used it, I haven't had issues with font sizes or anything like that myself, but I don't play on a TV or have a huge screen either.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Ah I had no idea about that. Is there anyway it can be eventually retrofitted into other games?

I might be wrong but I don't think so. Stellaris (and I think HOI4 too) both have UIs that were designed from the beginning with scaling in mind, which makes this kind of thing possible. EU4 and CK2 have the UI elements drawn at fixed resolutions, the only way to change it would be to get the original working assets from like 5+ years ago (if they're even still around). And even then, while those are certainly gonna be a higher resolution, the artists may well have only had the for-1080p end product in mind when they were designing them, so they could look a bit funky when you see them bigger.

Alternatively they could redraw the entire UI again but speaking as someone who decided to do that for their mod and thoroughly regrets the decision, I can see why they don't want to.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I realized today my i5-750 processor is seven years old. Most stuff I play runs fine, but some games particularly Stellaris get kinda slow midgame.

Would I actually see a significant improvement from upgrading or should I try to hold off a few more years?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

For EU4 and CK2 I just bit the bullet and play at a lower resolution.

Or I would if I still played those games.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I'm thinking about jumping back into CK2 and EUIV after not playing them for a few years (I put a couple hundred hours into each when the newest xpacs were The Old Gods and Art of War.) Do you think I'll be able to jump back in and adjust to everything after a few hours, or should I block out some time to watch some Quill videos or something? I've been buying the DLC as they come out, so I'm up to date.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Should be fine, there are a ton of changes to both but most of the core systems are the same. The big one to know for EU4 is that tech penalties got replaced with "institutions" that spawn in every 50 years, so you need to keep up with those (even in Europe) or tech gets more expensive. For CK2... I don't play it so much, but plagues are maybe something to watch out for? Conclave shifted stuff a lot too, it means you have a council of your powerful vassals that you have to give a say in things. Also India got added.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Also monks and mystics adds a bunch of secret societies and makes playing as a religious minority pretty fun.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koramei posted:

I might be wrong but I don't think so. Stellaris (and I think HOI4 too) both have UIs that were designed from the beginning with scaling in mind, which makes this kind of thing possible. EU4 and CK2 have the UI elements drawn at fixed resolutions, the only way to change it would be to get the original working assets from like 5+ years ago (if they're even still around). And even then, while those are certainly gonna be a higher resolution, the artists may well have only had the for-1080p end product in mind when they were designing them, so they could look a bit funky when you see them bigger.

Alternatively they could redraw the entire UI again but speaking as someone who decided to do that for their mod and thoroughly regrets the decision, I can see why they don't want to.

Thank you so much for the info. I feel like a schmuck forgetting about the scalable interface. Totally makes Stellaris and HOI4 work well.

Shame about the older games. I dare say I'd pay for it as a DLC to have those options for CKII and EUIV, if only because they're the deeper of the 4 paradox games I play. Although Stellaris is on the way there.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Playing Kaiserreich as the Totalist Soviet Republic, we've managed to win the European portion of the Second Weltkrieg - Germany and her allies have been conquered either by my troops or the Commune of France's, and Syndicalism now stretches from the Bay of Biscay to Vladivostok. The Kaiser has annexed Mittelafrika and continues the war from there. It is 1939.

I guess the next step is to wait a couple of years to build a massive naval fleet so that we can start making amphibious landings ... and/or going full Internationalist and conquering countries at will, possibly creating a path of conquered territory to Africa through the Middle East?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Yeah the game is basically Choose Your Own Adventure after you win the Second Weltkrieg in Europe. Go to Africa, then North America, then Japan, then you win basically.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

I realized today my i5-750 processor is seven years old. Most stuff I play runs fine, but some games particularly Stellaris get kinda slow midgame.

Would I actually see a significant improvement from upgrading or should I try to hold off a few more years?

Paradox games are notoriously CPU-intensive, so it's definitely possible. I've noticed a slight but appreciable increase in speed since upgrading to an i7-6700k, and my previous processor had only been three years old as opposed to seven.

e: also get an SSD if you don't have one already obviously

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 22, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Phlegmish posted:

Paradox games are notoriously CPU-intensive, so it's definitely possible. I've noticed a slight but appreciable increase in speed since upgrading to an i7-6700k, and my previous processor had only been three years old as opposed to seven.

e: also get an SSD if you don't have one already obviously

Yeah, I got a SSD in January.

I guess it's something I should do soon anyway. Power supply is probably getting long in the tooth.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i swear, i'd give a kidney for paradox to make another grand strategy set in antiquity, it doesn't even have to be a sequel of eu: rome. though there was some interesting stuff in it that i'd like to see paradox rework and improve for a new game. i hope the kidney is enough to afford all the dlc that'll come for it eventually.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Okay, I give up. How the hell do I force Ming to explode? I'm talking editing my save file, not some stupid strategy. Mandate of Heaven DLC ruined them and now they're just railroading me into white peaces over and over. I just want them gone.

Please just tell me there's something in my save file where I can go "mandate=0" so they can actually collapse. Better yet, what console commands will force them into fighting every rebellion+tributaries?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Okay, I give up. How the hell do I force Ming to explode? I'm talking editing my save file, not some stupid strategy. Mandate of Heaven DLC ruined them and now they're just railroading me into white peaces over and over. I just want them gone.

Please just tell me there's something in my save file where I can go "mandate=0" so they can actually collapse. Better yet, what console commands will force them into fighting every rebellion+tributaries?

I mean, you could always just tag over to them and run them into the ground real quick (break all their tributaries, disband their armies, give away their money, No CB everyone, etc).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

You can make them more or less impotent, but I don't think you can instantly make them collapse. First of all, look at the console commands here: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Console_commands

Set their mandate to 0 with "mandate -100" (not listed on the wiki for some reason).
use "exhaust 50 MNG" (or something) to give them massive war exhaustion and unrest.
"inflate 200 MNG" to give them extreme inflation, then "cash -50000 MNG" to bankrupt them which will make their army pretty much vanish and powerless for the next 5 years.
"stability -6 MNG" for good measure.
"corrupt 100 MNG" will massively increase all power costs making it nearly impossible for them to gain more tech, but will also remove almost all the unrest, so it might be better to avoid this if you want to break them. If you do use it they'll never advance in tech and basically become increasingly powerless as time passes.

Refresh as needed and eventually a mingsplosion will happen.

*Edit*

Oh, and of course, the "yesman" command will force them to accept any deal you offer them, so you can declare a war and use "yesman" to force them to accept any demands you might make up to the 100 warscore cap.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 2, 2017

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Maybe the bug with the custom nation is still in, so you can make Ming entirely disappear.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

AG3 posted:

Set their mandate to 0 with "mandate -100" (not listed on the wiki for some reason).

Thank you. I looked everywhere for that. I was looking for save editing last night since I had the file open at the time but this will work (with less chances of me ruining my save).

Tahirovic posted:

Maybe the bug with the custom nation is still in, so you can make Ming entirely disappear.

I'm intrigued; tell me more.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Someone else posted this a while ago, it's a video with exploits. I am not sure what's been patched out and what not.
https://youtu.be/QsGtX_AvJZk?t=20m49s for the Ming exploit, or just watch it from the start.
It can teach you a thing or two about game mechanics. Things like the estate bombs are very handy for small nations. It's how I hosed up Poland in my Moldavia run.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1156789523

http://twitter.com/fermunation/status/915313448417820672

:ussr:

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 5, 2017

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'd not heard of the Posadists before, that's... that's really something. I like that 'Abolish Time' is one of the very first things on the list you can do.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Winning the war on linear time has been a dream of our community ever since tomorrow.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Establish Newspaper is the underappreciated joke.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Establish Newspaper is the underappreciated joke.

It's the best one. I wish there were a few more 'Establish Fourth International' options. Maybe a really big elaborate tree with different exclusive options which eventually end up with a Posadist International anyway.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Johan posted this.

Johan posted:

You guys may have seen the title “Game Director” thrown about in development diaries and on various streams, but we’ve never explained what a game director is.

The Game Director is the vision owner for a game. They develop this vision with the help of others, communicate it to the rest of the team and external partners, and ensure the final product is something fans will enjoy and spend money on. They have final creative control of their games.

Historically, I was basically the game director for every game we made until CK2, which was the first time someone else owned the creative vision of the game. Victoria 2 was almost entirely Chris King’s design, and if we’d had today’s organisation back then, he would have been GD of that game. Until the release of Stellaris, Henrik was the GD of that game, and until this week, I was the GD of EU4.

Our game-director team these days include the following people.

Chris ‘King’ King - Secret Project
Dan ‘podcat’ Lind - Hearts of Iron IV.
Henrik ‘Doomdark’ Fåhraeus - Crusader Kings 2 & Secret Project
Jake ‘DDRJake’ Leiper-Ritchie - Europa Universalis IV
Jon ‘Jon Shafer’ Shafer - Secret Project
Martin ‘Wiz’ Anward - Stellaris

As you may have noticed, my name is absent from that list, as I now work with leading and supporting all our game directors equally.

I am very proud to hand over the reigns of EUIV to Jake now, I’ve worked with him for the last 18 months, with designing Rights of Man, Mandate of Heaven & Third Rome together, and now we are soon releasing Cradle of Civilisation which is basically entirely his vision.

So... time to take your guesses.

Chris ‘King’ King - Secret Project
I'll put my money on Victoria III

Henrik ‘Doomdark’ Fåhraeus - Crusader Kings 2 & Secret Project
I'm guessing prelim work on CK3, because I believe CK2 is still(?) their best selling (overall) title.

Jon ‘Jon Shafer’ Shafer - Secret Project
I dunno. But after the release state of Civ 5 and taking everyone's kickstarter money to vanish for 18 months at time only to post a single time before vanishing for another year, I'm not feeling optimistic about this. I've wanted a Paradox Dark Ages game for long time, but if he bailed on his Dark Ages kickstarter to make a Dark Ages Paradox game... I'll be legit pissed. Unless it's free to At the Gates backers or something... :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh Chris King 100% has to be Victoria III, it's been long enough and he was also a big dude in Victoria II (as it says right there).