Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Or as Mark pointed out to her afterwards, she could have just taken the vacation from him and cashed it out for a roughly equivalent cash prize thus getting her money and not betraying her word.

Taking the money wasn't even really the mistake. The mistake was first initiating a deal with the HOH to NOT do that just moments before and then after you did it making no effort at all to try and mend things and instead being a totally smug rear end in a top hat about it even as the rest of the house were going out of their way to assist as best they can with the HOH's pretty rough punishment.

Elena didn't chose $5K over her game. She chose her pride and refusal to admit a mistake or betrayal or kiss some rear end or just show any humility or regret. There's probably dozens of scenarios where Elena could have salvaged her game not just after that but with the events before and after it (in fairness, her game was pretty well toasted before that POV). She just couldn't be bothered to do anything that she felt was beneath her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Yeah, sadly, Elena wasn't a Big Brother player, she was a fameseeker. Casting has yet to learn the difference.

I love how these forums approach BB as Shakespearean or Greek tragedy rather than focusing on all the petty bullshit. It's that perspective that makes the whole mess palatable, sometimes even fascinating.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hope Josh backdoors Paul and convinces Christmas to go along with it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That would be an impressive trick with Paul having the POV.

I haven't been watching but my understanding is Paul didn't use the POV, he told Alex that he couldnt save her or he'd mess up his game, and Alex is pretty bitter and burned about it all and feeling done. And of course Paul is telling Christmas and Josh that he took all the heat for them which I'm guessing Josh isn't really buying, Christmas is very stone faced about, and both are playing along with anyway.

But that's mostly me putting together the handful of pieces I've read the last couple of days.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MrBuddyLee posted:

Yeah, sadly, Elena wasn't a Big Brother player, she was a fameseeker. Casting has yet to learn the difference.

I love how these forums approach BB as Shakespearean or Greek tragedy rather than focusing on all the petty bullshit. It's that perspective that makes the whole mess palatable, sometimes even fascinating.

Elena was outgoing, attractive and had huge boobs.

Do you really think they gave a poo poo that she was a fame seeker?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Josh is also actively trying to flip the vote from Alex to Kevin. He's telling Paul it's ok to throw Alex a sympathy vote, Josh says he'll get the blood on his hands by evicting Alex (since the vote would be tied). Paul isn't dumb and feels pretty suspicious about this.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

sportsgenius86 posted:

Elena was outgoing, attractive and had huge boobs.

Do you really think they gave a poo poo that she was a fame seeker?
:crossarms:

She looks like any other woman who has had way too much cosmetic stuff done.

And who has gotten any mainstream fame from Big Brother anyway? If anything it's just a way to get on more, worse reality shows like Amazing Race or Reality :airquote: Star :airquote: Marriage Bootcamp.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
BB15 Nick has been getting some Youtube and NBC airplay on America's Got Talent with his new science personality. So yeah, not really.

They filmed tonight's episode last night, and Reddit spoilers from someone who attended the taping are saying that Alex got evicted and Paul won HOH. Yeah, not really regretting having not watched for like the last three weeks.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Best position for him I suppose, he doesn't have to vote and can shrug at whoever gets booted, unless he's dumb enough to win veto.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Faustian Bargain posted:

:crossarms:

She looks like any other woman who has had way too much cosmetic stuff done.

And who has gotten any mainstream fame from Big Brother anyway? If anything it's just a way to get on more, worse reality shows like Amazing Race or Reality :airquote: Star :airquote: Marriage Bootcamp.

I personally agree with you but it's clear as day why she was put on the show and it wasn't because they thought she'd be a game player.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

So best case is Christmas wins, worst case is Paul takes an easy win over Josh as the Meatballs sing circus music while kissing Paul's rear end. Comedy option Kevin? I don't see Josh having a chance without pulling out some kind of Kaiser Soze twist, though he'd deserve it with Paul's lovely jury management.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Paul has the best chance of winning over anyone else at this point, unless Josh did some serious jury management with Alex before she left. This season will probably go down as the worst ever if Paul does win, mostly because he, and many people will insist he powered through and played masterfully, when in reality, really bad twists (including Christmas's foot), and one of the least competent casts in BB history were the real cause.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If he does win then it really is Big Brother: Redemption Island. I do want to see josh pull out a W at the F3 comp and boot Paul though. That would redeem a lot.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Can you imagine the Smug Blackhole that would erupt if Paul won

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I actually feel a little differently about the end game here. This is the first time in several years where I don't have a strong rooting interest or person I hate near the end, which makes this much more enjoyable to actually watch. If Paul rolls over these guys and wins? Works for me. If someone takes him out or the jury destroys him for bad management? No problem. I like this feeling.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Wow, so it's like just about literally every other season of BB where they saw someone was a huge goddamn threat for most of the game and did absolutely nothing about it and then it was too late.

I love this show, but that's probably THE most frustrating thing for me as a viewer, however.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Now isn't the time, Your Taint

Next week

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Wow, so it's like just about literally every other season of BB where they saw someone was a huge goddamn threat for most of the game and did absolutely nothing about it and then it was too late.

I love this show, but that's probably THE most frustrating thing for me as a viewer, however.

The problem is that no one who wasn't Cody, or Dom I guess, had any reason to see him as a threat, compared to the other threats in the house. Yes, as VIEWERS it was obvious, but to the people in the house, Paul was the fun vet that wanted to work with them, and Cody, Mark, Jess, and Elena were shady and completely impossible to trust. Cody didn't like Paul because Paul was getting attention and Cody legitimately buys into alpha male bullshit. So when no one trusted HIM without question, he literally lost his poo poo. Dom could have had something if she weren't crazy and bad at Big Brother. But she failed because she gave no one anything to work with outside of cryptic accusations.

Cody could have salvaged his game, and taken out Paul eventually, but he also seems to have actual issues and is one of the worst people to enter the house, so he botched it completely.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 13, 2017

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
This season isn't nearly as bad as the one with Amanda+McCrae or Aryan Arryn so saying that it's the worst if Paul wins is a little much.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I laugh at Elena plan to get famous, even though she had a better chance then most. She could have used it as a jump off point to a bigger market for more money in radio. I'd guess it was Xmas plan too before she got hurt, use it to boost her cross fit/fitness profile to a bigger audience.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's all so horrible and bad

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dragonshirt posted:

This season isn't nearly as bad as the one with Amanda+McCrae or Aryan Arryn so saying that it's the worst if Paul wins is a little much.

That was filled with terrible people and was a poo poo show for different reasons, but this one was just a complete poo poo show from a game play perspective thanks to way too many twists and disappointing casting. It took a month to get rid of 2 people that no one was trying to save. 2 horrible people that the producers decided to protect via editing for whatever reason, so we didn't even get any comeuppance like we did in BB15. This season felt like a real slog.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

Josh is also actively trying to flip the vote from Alex to Kevin. He's telling Paul it's ok to throw Alex a sympathy vote, Josh says he'll get the blood on his hands by evicting Alex (since the vote would be tied). Paul isn't dumb and feels pretty suspicious about this.

Goddamit Josh...it was right there...RIGHT loving THERE for you. God gently caress you I hope you lose now.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm officially over this. There is no hope left. It really sucks because Paul is going to be compared to Dan and Derrick when he really, REAAAAAAALLY isn't nearly as savvy a player as them. He just had the dumbest cast mates in history.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm officially over this. There is no hope left. It really sucks because Paul is going to be compared to Dan and Derrick when he really, REAAAAAAALLY isn't nearly as savvy a player as them. He just had the dumbest cast mates in history.

Derrick is a good comparison. Both seasons were full of likable people who sucked at the game and got railroaded.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Derrick's cast got a ton of poo poo when that was going on, I actually think the fan reaction might have been even worse.

I think of Christmas's broken foot kind of the same way I think of Frankie being drafted into "Team America" - the savviest "minion" on the house majority side was stripped of a lot of their agency, and just kind of had to go along with the guy who was running the game.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

Derrick is a good comparison. Both seasons were full of likable people who sucked at the game and got railroaded.

I dunno, I feel like Derrick had to work a bit harder to get the win, but I could just be remembering incorrectly.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

ToastyPotato posted:

That was filled with terrible people and was a poo poo show for different reasons, but this one was just a complete poo poo show from a game play perspective thanks to way too many twists and disappointing casting. It took a month to get rid of 2 people that no one was trying to save. 2 horrible people that the producers decided to protect via editing for whatever reason, so we didn't even get any comeuppance like we did in BB15. This season felt like a real slog.

Okay yes, you are right on the money here.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

ToastyPotato posted:

I dunno, I feel like Derrick had to work a bit harder to get the win, but I could just be remembering incorrectly.

Yeah Derrick had to put up with Frankie for like 70 days which is a nightmare in itself.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Derrick had to work hard. I mean, he was helped along hugely by Team America and the Battle of the Block. TA kept Frankie from making a move and BotB allowed Derrick a ton of control and gave the majority huge power. But his majority was a barely held together bunch of loonies and idiots and Derrick is the only one who really kept them together. And he did a lot of subtle things like peeling Zack and Caleb away from Frankie or his whole "Let Death Take You" Jury Management. Derrick had a boring season but he played a hell of a game. And every winner gets some advantages from twists/casts. Thems the breaks.

If Paul wins I'll begrudgingly give him credit for a good game. He got the advantageous help from the Pendant of Power and Friendship Bracelets. He had some idiots and loons he worked to hold together. I don't think he's as good as Derrick and I don't think he should even count for a "Perfect Game" since he needed a super power to block him from getting nominated in Week 1 while Derrick legit never got nominated despite having FOUR nominees most weeks. But if Paul can survive these last couple of rounds and get the Jury votes than he's a deserving winner who played a pretty good (if incredibly boring and terrible to watch) game.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
if paul wins its prolly the 4th most impressive game played in US big brother

even with the huge head start he got

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

JakeP posted:

if paul wins its prolly the 4th most impressive game played in US big brother

even with the huge head start he got

Yeah, but for me it would be a very distant 4th. Paul played a more entertaining and perilous game last year and if he would have won, I would have gladly touted him as one of the greats, but this year just seems like way too much of a hollow victory. If there were one more crafty player in the game, or hell, if Megan doesn't quit, or Christmas doesn't get hurt, Paul's game could have easily blown up if he played it the same. I dunno, I just feel like he played a game that was good for this season, but would not have worked without the massive laundry list of things that just happened to work out in his favor through no work of his own.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Paul would be a lot more impressive as a winner if he showed any significant ability to convince people to do anything. He's been great at getting them to NOT nominate him, but his power ends pretty sharply outside of that, and I'm not really willing to chalk that up to his actual gameplay more than this season giving him 100% perfect villains as a distraction. I mean, from that Week 1 backstab, Paul was instantly the aggrieved victim with a righteous axe to grind and it gave him a lot of sympathy to work with from pretty much everyone except Jessica & Cody, and eventually Dom. And with a literal month of struggling to actually get two of those three to get out of the house and stay there, it gave Paul so much breathing room to cast himself as everyone's champion and stalwart ally against the psychos who were impossible to live with and couldn't be trusted for a second. So that's about six or seven weeks out of the game where anyone with even a remote chance of actually winning the game would've been insane to take out Paul— either because he was completely immune, or would actually be willing to cooperate with people instead of pouting in the Have Nots room.

Of course, those excuses really run out right around the point where they evicted Mark and started picking off non-threats like Matt, Raven, and Jason over Paul. But I'm thinking back on the season, and Paul really never managed to make an affirmative move that wasn't already the house consensus. He spent a lot of time burying people with whispers to keep himself safe, but a good 90% of that was those targets already burying themselves anyway so that Paul could feel safe enough to throw a handful of dirt on top. Did he ever actually convince someone to do something that wasn't just the obvious move for their own game regardless? The closest that I can come up with is just how hard he had Alex under his control during the middle of the game, but I don't feel like that made much of a difference.

He's like the most aggressive floater that is trying so hard to be the puppetmaster. :psyduck:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Alex was pretty much the only person he convinced to do make game moves that were completely against their own interest from they way I see it. So far at least. Matt was the first person evicted that probably didn't need to be evicted, but he was also part of the last showmance in the house so it was a pretty easy sell. And even then, Paul wasn't 100% sold on getting Matt out. He wanted Kevin on the block to see which way the wind would blow with the house, and to possibly clear himself of the blindside through split votes, I'm guessing. Jason was a no brainer, multiple people wanted Kevin on the block and when a comp beast isn't willing to play ball, you gotta axe them ASAP.

But yeah, aggressive floating is probably the best term to describe Paul this year.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
aggressive floater is an oxymoron

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Lot of Paul haters in here :toughguy:

Paul is probably a scumbag in real life but I've enjoyed his game this season against morons. The blindsides have been great. Paul orchestrating Christmas winning the running comp was hilarious. If Paul doesn't win, I want Josh to win.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

This jury is setting up to be a bitter one. Maybe Kevin will make it to the end and they give him the win out of spite. :sax:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I hope Kevin wins 1st or 2nd place prize in addition to the 25k, and when they interview him on the way out he admits that he didn't even know what was going on.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Faustian Bargain posted:

Lot of Paul haters in here :toughguy:

Paul is probably a scumbag in real life but I've enjoyed his game this season against morons. The blindsides have been great. Paul orchestrating Christmas winning the running comp was hilarious. If Paul doesn't win, I want Josh to win.

I don't hate Paul at all, and have even defended him, I just object to the notion that he is some kind of mastermind, godlike player, which both he, and his biggest haters, seem to believe. I was cheering for him to win last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't hate Paul at all, and have even defended him, I just object to the notion that he is some kind of mastermind, godlike player, which both he, and his biggest haters, seem to believe. I was cheering for him to win last year.

I believe he's firmly "run" the house this season, but, like you said, it's because he has some of the easiest marks to play with ever this year.

I mean Kevin knows nothing (although I love that he's an old player that's lasted this long.. .they're usually out so fast!), Jason is just... goddamn what a dimwit. Elena/Mark/Cody/Jessica were terrible players. Really his only real competition has been Alex, Josh and Christmas.

So I'll give him some credit there. They are pretty smart and strong players but he's brainwashed Christmas enough to temper any of Josh's rebellious thinking and did pretty good at convincing Alex of a final 2 and sustaining that thought. He did pretty well there.

Also did anyone mention Jason's exit? Holy hell he was salty. And his "I just wanna run in a straight line for a long time" was my favorite exit quote EVER.

• Locked thread