Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

Can you get the phoenix dive or blitz strike skill books anywhere in the EA?

Yeah, the warfare/geomancy guy in the next camp is someone you have to rescue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Rainuwastaken posted:

If you just have Ifan summoning, give him all the grenades. That way he's self sufficient when trying for a specific incarnate.

Lizards are very good for summoning, since they can produce fire on their own.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Grondoth posted:

Yeah, the warfare/geomancy guy in the next camp is someone you have to rescue.

I have no idea why it makes me so angry that I can't get skills until after someone has beat my rear end using them but holy smokes

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

NeurosisHead posted:

I have no idea why it makes me so angry that I can't get skills until after someone has beat my rear end using them but holy smokes

It's funny how many aspects of this game are infuriating and yet here I am, looking forward to it

At least it's not infuriatingly bad and outdated like wasteland 2

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Skills being functionally part of the loot system SHOULD bug the poo poo out of me because i hate randomization inhibiting your character build options but in practice it ends up working out fine.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

nerdz posted:

And POE. God was that ever disappointing. DOS 1 was great, hoping for even better with 2.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

nerdz posted:

It's funny how many aspects of this game are infuriating and yet here I am, looking forward to it

Tooling around with the EA I have noticed that it's a game that seems balanced around the idea that you'll steal everything that isn't nailed down, and murder every friendly person and quest giver when you're done with them for the experience. That's not really how I like to play RPG's, but that's okay because everyone gets to have their kind of fun. But that does mean that my gear and skills and character levels will always be behind the enemy's power curve, and the only way that I'll beat even the most rudimentary encounters is by toting around 140 lbs of barrels and 10 lbs of grenades in everyone's inventory for careful ambushes.

I don't know if I actually have any fun playing this game, but I'm enjoying it somehow regardless?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

If I found D:OS almost unbearably slow, would the sequel be better? I loved turn based combat, the environment interaction, the party mechanics and found the dialogue and quests funny... but moving around outside of combat was scrolling to where I wanted to go, clicking and waiting 30 seconds for the party to trudge there. The story took forever to pick up steam. Any backtracking, of which there was plenty especially early on, was painful.

So would I like D:OS2 ?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So what time does it come out tomorrow?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

TorakFade posted:

If I found D:OS almost unbearably slow, would the sequel be better? I loved turn based combat, the environment interaction, the party mechanics and found the dialogue and quests funny... but moving around outside of combat was scrolling to where I wanted to go, clicking and waiting 30 seconds for the party to trudge there. The story took forever to pick up steam. Any backtracking, of which there was plenty especially early on, was painful.

The things that were good about the first one are better but basically all the problems you list are still there.

The story seems to get moving a lot faster though, there are a few hours of token rpg "where am i what am i doing" in there at the start but then you get in it. Also the end of the first act actually manages to feel like the end of a first act rather than in 1 where it felt so climactic that the game continuing on for 20 hours after that felt jarring. So that helps quite a bit with pacing imo.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Haven't seen this posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL7_U7oWJzk

e: :allears:

e2: Apparently I'm blind and it was posted :saddowns:

kloa fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 13, 2017

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

The pacing on these games are absurdly awful. I never finish them, but have fun for a few days. It is definitely worth the price for me.

I really really hope they don't have awful repetitive voice overs on markets, though. Holy poo poo that was annoying.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The pacing doesn't bother me. I just hope there aren't many "puzzles" where you have to pixel-hunt for tiny buttons on walls.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

So what time does it come out tomorrow?

https://www.tickcounter.com/countdown/287172/divinity-original-sin-2-full-release

8am Pacific.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
no midnight steam release? This is the worst thing that has ever happened to anyone.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Will there be many more skills? I'd want to play a summoner, but I'm kind of turned down by the fact there's only one summon, and it's a lovely little imp?

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
My brother died during our play through of D:OS 1 and I couldn't bring myself to finish it. I'm ready for a fresh start

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I AM BRAWW posted:

Will there be many more skills? I'd want to play a summoner, but I'm kind of turned down by the fact there's only one summon, and it's a lovely little imp?

I believe EA only has the first tier of spells, there are way more in the final release.

They seem to have cut down on summon spells, though. I remember DOS1 having a lot more level 1 summon spells. Perhaps they're putting the other summons on higher tiers so you can't abuse minion spam on all chars like I did in DOS1

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nerdz posted:

I believe EA only has the first tier of spells, there are way more in the final release.

They seem to have cut down on summon spells, though. I remember DOS1 having a lot more level 1 summon spells. Perhaps they're putting the other summons on higher tiers so you can't abuse minion spam on all chars like I did in DOS1

It seems like they've consolidated all the summons into a single tree and set of powers, and type you get is depending on the surface you summon onto.

Rufio posted:

My brother died during our play through of D:OS 1 and I couldn't bring myself to finish it. I'm ready for a fresh start

drat, sorry bro-dude

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 13, 2017

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

nerdz posted:

Oh man, thanks.

I want to play the game but then I kind of want to hold it for tomorrow. smh.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Is there a list of what they're changing on release anywhere yet

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Rufio posted:

poo poo, I played through D:OS 1 with my brother--we just finished after several months of playing every Sunday morning. You have my condolences, I would never be able to play it again if that had happened to me.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

I AM BRAWW posted:

Note that your imp eventually gets HUGE. The launch trailer has a scene with four of them in the first few seconds, and they're like twelve feet tall.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

NeurosisHead posted:

Tooling around with the EA I have noticed that it's a game that seems balanced around the idea that you'll steal everything that isn't nailed down, and murder every friendly person and quest giver when you're done with them for the experience. That's not really how I like to play RPG's, but that's okay because everyone gets to have their kind of fun. But that does mean that my gear and skills and character levels will always be behind the enemy's power curve, and the only way that I'll beat even the most rudimentary encounters is by toting around 140 lbs of barrels and 10 lbs of grenades in everyone's inventory for careful ambushes.

I don't know if I actually have any fun playing this game, but I'm enjoying it somehow regardless?

This is why the game is so good. You have to think outside the box and use strategy instead of just grinding your way past things on a first play through. It makes it so much more dynamic and useful, so that when you DO get those abilites you really are a god PLUS you have the tactical know-how!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jastiger posted:

This is why the game is so good. You have to think outside the box and use strategy instead of just grinding your way past things on a first play through. It makes it so much more dynamic and useful, so that when you DO get those abilites you really are a god PLUS you have the tactical know-how!

It's "thinking outside the box" to be a sterotypical murder hobo party and scorched earth friendly NPCs to get by? :v:

I mean, I have a pal who when he has the chance to run nerdgames for us has literally encouraged the party to stack barrels, regular not even explosive barrels, because entering even the same room the encounter is placed isn't optimal (But he's doing it out of the sense of 'wants players to win' well meaning, at least).

So if anything, my desire for variety would be "Hey, maybe don't scream someone could have stacked barrels in front of a hallway to bait enemies into a prepared magical killbox, if they want something more straightforward for once." Thinking outside the box for the genre is NOT spamming the poo poo out of such things, oddly enough.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Rufio posted:

You start with rez scrolls

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Madcosby posted:

You start with rez scrolls

gently caress.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

NeurosisHead posted:

Mass murder wasn't necessary in the first game and was even discouraged (killing merchants cut off access to good gear later on, for example). There was a soft experience cap that basically meant you'd reach "max level" no matter how you played as long as you completed most of the content.

Stealing everything that wasn't nailed down, ok, yeah, fair cop.

No idea if this game will conform or if it has a max level or what that max level is.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Undead seem like a ton of fun.

I wonder how much the game will let me play as fantasy Agent 47.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Can't wait for my friend and I to reprise our roleplay as the world's most magical and important black market art dealers.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
"Im thinking outside the box!"

*Uses the exact same barrel stacking "strategy" that carried me through the last game*

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was able to beat the game without abusing barrels.
GIT GUD.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
With the exception of the Braccus Rex fight (which i think was deliberately tweaked to take several tries) whenever I had to reload in the first game it was always because me and my coop partner weren't working together efficiently/strategically rather than us not being strong enough because we didn't kill everyone and steal everything.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I ran with three mages and the archer NPC, and basically the mages just focused on keeping everything stunned or far from combat while the archer killed things one by one. Honestly, I kinda want DOS2 to work the same way, and might wait a week after release since the whole magic/physical armor mechanic seems like it ruins the way I used to play. (havent played the EA)

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ScratchAndSniff posted:

"Im thinking outside the box!"

*Uses the exact same barrel stacking "strategy" that carried me through the last game*

I'm extremely pissed off that oil+fire won't generate fire with a constant cloud of smoke this time. Two level 1 spells carried me through the entire game. You shut down their ranged attacks and at the same time make melee enemies kill themselves wading through the fire.

Also charm half of the enemies, make them kill each other, then charm half of the surviving ones.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Clever Spambot posted:

With the exception of the Braccus Rex fight (which i think was deliberately tweaked to take several tries) whenever I had to reload in the first game it was always because me and my coop partner weren't working together efficiently/strategically rather than us not being strong enough because we didn't kill everyone and steal everything.

Actually that fight was bullshit. The fire dude was horseshit lol.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

kloa posted:

Haven't seen this posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL7_U7oWJzk

e: :allears:

e2: Apparently I'm blind and it was posted :saddowns:

Also, apparently this video spoils the entire game.

They want you to become the next Divine or some poo poo.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

Also, apparently this video spoils the entire game.

They want you to become the next Divine or some poo poo.

I can remember literally nothing about the plot of the first one except that some lady wanted to sell vegetables at the market

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrySFvAqtKA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013
"Join the spud club if you've got an eye for fine potatoes!"