Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Caros posted:

It really is uncanny how Build Fighters = Good and Tri = Garbage in almost every circumstance.

I mean, Mao and Sakai's pervert shticks are both awful, so I don't really see how this is a Try vs BF issue. It derives from a thing both are pretty awful about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean, Mao and Sakai's pervert shticks are both awful, so I don't really see how this is a Try vs BF issue. It derives from a thing both are pretty awful about.

To be honest I'd say that is one place Try comes out ahead. They share the same stupid "i am of the Gunpla school and also a pervert" joke but Sakai has additional jokes to him and is genuinely more of a character than Mao is.

That said there wasn't really any pervert stuff in this one. They went all-in on the rivalry-and-super-robot stuff but it kinda emphasizes how... like boring that is without context. It's cute to have a guy who likes a Super Robot Gundam but we saw that joke already and this didn't add anything new to the joke.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
We really needed just one moment of Yuuma yelling at Minato to stop calling his attacks, just for the setup later where he starts doing it too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, any guesses on what the next big Gundam project might be? Seems like we're in a bit of a lull at the moment.

Also, what suits are you particularly looking forward to using in Gundam Versus? I was pretty stoked to see the G-Self can switch between its Space, Assault, and Reflector packs at will.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is it really a lull though? IBO only finished up earlier this year, and we've been getting multiple OVA's in the meantime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

So, any guesses on what the next big Gundam project might be? Seems like we're in a bit of a lull at the moment.

Also, what suits are you particularly looking forward to using in Gundam Versus? I was pretty stoked to see the G-Self can switch between its Space, Assault, and Reflector packs at will.

Safest best that is predictable is The Origin as a TV show. Otherwise it'll probably be another AU show in an original universe. Ooooutside chance in an unexpected sequel but none of those are too likely. The most likely would be SEED but with Morisawa's death that's probably out or Wing/Frozen Teardrop which is not unlikely precisely but not exactly a sure thing either.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Full series of Gaia Gear or Hathaway's Flash OVA or Gihren Assassination Plot OVA are my unfounded wishes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ew, Hathaway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Crossbone

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Actually a good point, Animated Crossbone is probably not unlikely either.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If animated Crossbone hasn't happened yet, I doubt it'll happen.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Origin sounds most likely but heck they could always churn out another uninspired AU series too.

The future feels unambitious as hell.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I believe in Frozen Teardrop.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I kinda expect them to keep doing Origin as OVAs and then give it the RE:0096 treatment after it's done.

Beyond that, I think it's safe to say that the next TV Gundam series will not be an adaptation. They've only ever done that once, with Unicorn, and that was just because it was cheap since they already had it fully animated.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And RE:0096 sucks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

And RE:0096 sucks.
There was a good ED in there that was used in like literally one episode.

I think at least. RE:0096 is kind of a blur to me at this point.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 13, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
RE:0096 is bad for the same reason that I feel the original Gundam movie compilations don't quite work. When you change something from its original format, you need to be careful to maintain the flow of the story. the movies cut out a lot of chaff, but they were still structured like TV episodes compiled into a film, and did not follow a film structure, so they end at weird spots and have little in the way of rising action and denouement. RE:0096 is ridiculous by how they structure each episode around about 12-15 minutes of new footage each week and then fill up the rest of the running time with recaps so long they'd make the DBZ announcer get tired.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

A Garma of Space Island OVA is my wish if we're getting Origin.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So I know the thunderbolt season ended. Are they planning on doing a third? Any time soon?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Next year probably. They've got Origin 5-6 on the block, and their ongoing battlelogue series for Build Fighters.

I'm hoping it will be more like the first season. The second season wasn't as focused because it is part one of a bigger plot, but it also didn't look as nice. The animation got a bit of a downgrade now that they can make more of it than just a one off hour special.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 13, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
As long as they learned from the mistakes of Try, I'd be up for a third season of Build Fighters

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The Try OVA with Reiji and Aila's kid suggests they didn't learn a thing from Try so I wouldn't say that too loud.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

The Try OVA with Reiji and Aila's kid suggests they didn't learn a thing from Try so I wouldn't say that too loud.

The Try Battlogues suggest much the same thing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

tsob posted:

But the BF OVA was good, so maybe we just need to ignore the Try cast and setting forever and focus on the old group.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's really a shame, because I like the bare building blocks of what the Try cast could be but for some reason whenever the writers write content for the Try cast they seem to suffer from some kind of mental constipation and the material they produce simply isn't as good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was assuming that a third Build Fighters would have a whole new cast like the second season did

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

It's really a shame, because I like the bare building blocks of what the Try cast could be but for some reason whenever the writers write content for the Try cast they seem to suffer from some kind of mental constipation and the material they produce simply isn't as good.

I think a major part of it is that the original BF has the traits of being a little unplanned. You can see characters being modified based off either fan or internal writer response. Kirara is the most obvious of the lot (she's basically a different character after her first showing and not just because of development) but it shows up with a lot of the cast. In comparison Try is really strictly written and aside from maybe Winning Gundam's thing nothing it it comes off as anything but the writer's strict planned idea with minimal editing. The end result is a show that technically has more consistent characters but also is really rote and by the numbers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Guy Goodbody posted:

I was assuming that a third Build Fighters would have a whole new cast like the second season did

To be honest, if they went for Build Fighters 3 I'd prefer this rather than running the first season's cast into the ground.

ImpAtom posted:

I think a major part of it is that the original BF has the traits of being a little unplanned. You can see characters being modified based off either fan or internal writer response. Kirara is the most obvious of the lot (she's basically a different character after her first showing and not just because of development) but it shows up with a lot of the cast. In comparison Try is really strictly written and aside from maybe Winning Gundam's thing nothing it it comes off as anything but the writer's strict planned idea with minimal editing. The end result is a show that technically has more consistent characters but also is really rote and by the numbers.

This could be a big part of it. The S1 cast feels pretty organic in how their relationships develop and how they grow and change as people. Even Kirara, who has a massive and abrupt shift from her initial appearance, can plausibly be read to have caught the "maybe gunpla is actually fun and good" itch from these incorrigible kiddies. I think the only character beat in S1 that didn't feel earned to me on any level was Sei suddenly becoming a Meijin-level pilot out of nowhere with a dumb justification for it, and that's such a minor end-of-series thing that has no real bearing on events that it doesn't really bring things down.

The Try cast is extremely static in comparison, which is what I think bugs me a lot. Fumina and Yuuma go through some pretty superficial changes when they meet their respective Meijins but they are fundamentally the same characters approaching things the same way; note that while Fumina stops literally destroying herself to provide parts for the boys, a significant portion of the Winning's appearances consist of it throwing itself or its bits in front of beams to get hosed up so one of the boys can do work. Similarly, Yuuma is still a chilly rear end in a top hat even after Meijin tries to mellow him out. Sekai superficially goes through the same arc as Reiji except he misses two main points; First, Reiji had a very specific and vitally important revelation about how and why people care about banging their toys together so much that allowed him to emotionally connect and invest himself(and thus make the viewer give a poo poo about his trials and travails); Sekai has no such revelation at any point, and to the very end he's playing with Gunpla as a surrogate for not being able to beat people up in real life rather than investing himself in the competition itself. If Sekai, the protagonist, doesn't actually give a gently caress about gunpla battle itself, why should I? Second, Reiji had a very specific and heartfelt romance with another character that served to give him a lot of emotional depth for a character whose basic archetype is "generic oblivious super ace". His interactions with Aila and the emotional reactions they led to(such as him freaking out and throwing a piss baby tantrum when he found out she smashed up Fellini's gunpla) and his interactions with other characters as they helped him work through it were fantastic. Sekai exists in the boring oblivious harem protagonist void where every girl in the show blandly throws themselves at him and catfights among themselves for his attention despite him never noticing, acknowledging, or earning any of that attention in any way. His relationship with the girls who pine for him at the end of the entire show is basically identical to where it was at the beginning.

One could blame it on Try's focus on team battles, but I don't think that's really it. S1's major recurring focus cast was roughly the same size as Try's(Sei, Reiji, Aila, Nils, Mao, Fellini, Meijin, Kirara vs Fumina, Yuuma, Sekai, Wilfrid, Shia, Adou, Minato, Gyanko, Mirai I guess) with roughly the same amount of one-off villains(since most of Try's enemy teams were actually single opponents with two no name mook teammates) but managed to provide a lot more development and focus than Try did. The heavily scripted nature of Try might contribute to that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kirara is the actual best character in BF, even over Fellini.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

chumbler posted:

Mr. Ral (age 35) is the actual best character in BF, even over Fellini.

FTFY.

I watched BF super late, like right about the time Try was airing. I was still a lurker then but when I read all posts how Try (and mostly Sekai) was bad/underwhelming, I decided to skip watching it, so thanks for that goons. :)

There's a few thing I'd want out of a hypothetical BF3. Drop assimilation and GunPla damage into the toilet, and the increase the stakes again. Maybe they could borrow G Gundam's idea, where countries will representatives to duke it out and decide who will be the next leader of the UN.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

amigolupus posted:

There's a few thing I'd want out of a hypothetical BF3. Drop assimilation and GunPla damage into the toilet, and the increase the stakes again. Maybe they could borrow G Gundam's idea, where countries will representatives to duke it out and decide who will be the next leader of the UN.

I don't want this, it'd completely ruin the point of the original BF.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Just dump Build Fighters and do G Gundam 2: Gundamer

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Improbable Lobster posted:

do G Gundam 2: Gundamer

Yeah, now I want to see what they'd do with modern animation techniques and how they'd stack up to the raft of shonen anime being produced these days. I'd like it if they maintained some sense of humor over how ridiculous Gundam Fights are (shout-out to Best Gundam, Neo Holland's Nether Gundam).

With regards to Char vs. Amuro and the Re-GZ - I guess Char would do pretty well against Amuro even in the Re-GZ (as Sazabi has a psycoframe), but never forget that Amuro still fought Char to a draw (he might've even won a bit since more of his mobile suit was intact) when he was just in the original Gundam and Char was piloting Zeon's newest technological terror, the Zeong, which came complete with psycommu weapons/systems that Amuro didn't have access to in the plain old Gundam.

As for when they're equally matched, Amuro still dumpstered Char even when Char had his custom Gelgoog. So the Sazabi/Nu Gundam outcome should have been clear.

What I'm saying is - Amuro is pretty scary even without Newtype-use stuff.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 13, 2017

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The best way to raise the stakes in BF is by putting even more weight into something that is in the end not important.

Make them all duke it out for the title of prom king or something.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's because the stakes are low that they can take it so seriously. Low stakes are good. We should care because of how much the characters care, not because losing means the world ends.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Just dump Build Fighters and do G Gundam 2: Gundamer

Starring Domon and Rain's daughter as the new King of Hearts.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Amuro isn't even my favorite pilot, but he tops my list of people I would refuse to engage if I existed in the universal century. Being his friend means you could meet an untimely/dramatic end, whereas being his enemy means getting chumped quickly or cursed to fight him forever (and keep losing).

If Domon and I were enemies there'd still be a chance we could happily be friends, you see.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Put everyone's top two pilots from each Gundam series into G-Gundam style machine and fight it out. Winner can fight Domon.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Amuro isn't even my favorite pilot, but he tops my list of people I would refuse to engage if I existed in the universal century. Being his friend means you could meet an untimely/dramatic end, whereas being his enemy means getting chumped quickly or cursed to fight him forever (and keep losing).

If Domon and I were enemies there'd still be a chance we could happily be friends, you see.

Kai did okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

chiasaur11 posted:

Kai did okay.

He might have been the only one.