Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Ammanas posted:

It's kinda weird skaven lightning guns don't shoot a lightning effect, theyve done great lightning effects in the game, just color it green.... lazy? Poor design choice? Fps concerns?

I think it's more related to the fact they havent ever had a hitscan artillery piece (or any ranged weapon) on a Total war game and firing projectiles but with a lightning effect looks dumb as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Tonight I want to try a Belagor campaign with SFO+GCCM mods and see how hair pullingly frustrating it is.

My hope is the modded Karak Izor is well designed enough to goad Skarsnik into sieging it while Belagor is garrisoned inside with his ghost dads, and wipe out the main local threat early on.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Sedisp posted:

I think it's more related to the fact they havent ever had a hitscan artillery piece (or any ranged weapon) on a Total war game and firing projectiles but with a lightning effect looks dumb as gently caress.

are guns not hitscan? huh

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

SoftNum posted:

I don't think there's projectiles in the game that are hitscan, actually. I mean actual "travels through the air" stuff, not direct damage magic and such. If a unit is shooting, the resulting damage is seemingly determined by whether or not their projectile is actually hitting the target.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

That's a shame, I would hope that they could treat it like a spell and stick some lightning graphics between the 'caster' and the target but no idea if that would be easily doable in engine.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

rockopete posted:

That's a shame, I would hope that they could treat it like a spell and stick some lightning graphics between the 'caster' and the target but no idea if that would be easily doable in engine.

You might be able to sort of fake it just by cranking up the projectile velocity to a ludicrous value so that it's functionally hitscan? Though that might cause trouble with it clipping through stuff without registering a hit.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
What's this about a Free For All mode? Is my dream of hot four-way Orc on Orc on Orc on Orc action coming true?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
FFA mode sounds like something that will be really cool for about five matches and then never played again.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

You know what's real good lore? CA's presentation of the Old World.

You know what's real bad lore? Grogs arguing about minutiae of Chaos influence.

their solution to the problem looks pretty elegant

team Sorest Losers On The Face Of The Planet, headed by Malekith, is spending its time trying to conquer Ulthuan

team Def Not Chaos Cultists Nope Nope Nope, headed by Morathi, is spending its time trying to loot the Lizardmen temple-cities for any Good poo poo

the odds of these two coming to war in the event of confederation looking tricky are between 1 and 1

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Those lizards do have some Good poo poo though, if you're in the market you might wanna sack some Lizardmen cities.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ze Pollack posted:

team Sorest Losers On The Face Of The Planet, headed by Malekith, is spending its time trying to conquer Ulthuan

team Def Not Chaos Cultists Nope Nope Nope, headed by Morathi, is spending its time trying to loot the Lizardmen temple-cities for any Good poo poo

the odds of these two coming to war in the event of confederation looking tricky are between 1 and 1

P this was about the FFA multiplayer mode that's coming, not campaign stuff.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Perestroika posted:

You might be able to sort of fake it just by cranking up the projectile velocity to a ludicrous value so that it's functionally hitscan? Though that might cause trouble with it clipping through stuff without registering a hit.
I always figured WLCs would be handled like Dawn of War's Necron Monolith's cannons. Instant flash of lightning, followed by a delayed blast.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

rockopete posted:

I assume not or they'd probably thought of it. I don't think there are any spells that aren't projectiles or have some sort of physical presence, like vortex spells that don't effect a whole unit.

edit: One thing they could do if the manual fire thing didn't exist would be to make it fire an invisible projectile and then animate the lighting after it hits though it would take a bit of effort to get right and would probably be really prone to bugging out.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 13, 2017

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Was it just me, or did Mazdamundi explode when he died in the multiplayer stream?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

FFA mode sounds like something that will be really cool for about five matches and then never played again.

Prediction: Dwarfs and Wood Elves win every time because nobody wants to deal with the hassle of fighting them, leaving them to mop up the survivors.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
all sneak army all the time

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

SoftNum posted:

You can see bullets as physical objects if you pause at the right time.

(from an earlier game but I'm pretty sure it still applies)

The total war games models so much weird poo poo that I am amazed they run as well as they do.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Third World Reggin posted:

all sneak army all the time

sneaky sneaky stab stab

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Vargs posted:

Prediction: Dwarfs and Wood Elves win every time because nobody wants to deal with the hassle of fighting them, leaving them to mop up the survivors.

They've said that the winner of FFA mode is decided based on damage done, so you can have your entire army destroyed and still win, to discourage people from sitting out like that.

Kainser posted:

You can see bullets as physical objects if you pause at the right time.

(from an earlier game but I'm pretty sure it still applies)

The total war games models so much weird poo poo that I am amazed they run as well as they do.

Yeah bullets are still modelled in-game in TWW. It's really obvious in fact since they leave big visible trails behind them.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

John Charity Spring posted:

They've said that the winner of FFA mode is decided based on damage done, so you can have your entire army destroyed and still win, to discourage people from sitting out like that.

Yeah bullets are still modelled in-game in TWW. It's really obvious in fact since they leave big visible trails behind them.

Oddly enough they made them smaller. For the longest time I thought they'd stopped modelling the musket balls and just replaced them with the trails.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Sedisp posted:

Oddly enough they made them smaller. For the longest time I thought they'd stopped modelling the musket balls and just replaced them with the trails.

Yeah I had assumed that the smoke/trails were just effects and the real damage was hitscan. What are you going to do, dodge?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Ze Pollack posted:

Wow, they really will be two factions, same race. Somehow I hadn't realized that, thought it would be like Gelt and Karl Franz. Tyrion and Teclis too I assume. Since that leaves us with one LL per faction, what Legendary Lord D/FLC are we likely to see for elves?

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

If you enjoy Elves dying, watch CA's multilayer stream.

Skaven are neat and all but that stream just made me want to play Lizardmen even more.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

SoftNum posted:

Yeah I had assumed that the smoke/trails were just effects and the real damage was hitscan. What are you going to do, dodge?

You're probably not going to dodge but the bullets can hit stuff on the way, or terrain, or things like that. Units in forests take less damage from missiles not because of any inherent bonus (or not only, anyway) but because trees physically block the projectiles.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

SoftNum posted:

Theoretically you can I guess? Like you can dodge the magic in the game. Trees can block them too.

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

If you enjoy Elves dying, watch CA's multilayer stream.

I think it's kind of solidify my worry that Dork Elves are pretty OP in the build they're playing.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

You're probably not going to dodge but the bullets can hit stuff on the way, or terrain, or things like that. Units in forests take less damage from missiles not because of any inherent bonus (or not only, anyway) but because trees physically block the projectiles.

That would all happen with hitscan tbf, or at least it should. Maybe it matters with like, cav and hit rates though, depending on if models lead their targets appropriately, etc.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rockopete posted:

Wow, they really will be two factions, same race. Somehow I hadn't realized that, thought it would be like Gelt and Karl Franz. Tyrion and Teclis too I assume. Since that leaves us with one LL per faction, what Legendary Lord D/FLC are we likely to see for elves?
Every LL gets their own startpos and faction now for extra variety. It's a nice change.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

SoftNum posted:

That would all happen with hitscan tbf, or at least it should. Maybe it matters with like, cav and hit rates though, depending on if models lead their targets appropriately, etc.

It'd be a different way of modeling it though. You'd either give the unit firing the hitscan a center of fire or just roll a miss or hit when the unit fired. Neither would be great options since manual firing is a thing.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Ravenfood posted:

Every LL gets their own startpos and faction now for extra variety. It's a nice change.

I really hope they'll add a way to respec legendary lords at least once since they are doing this. Also adding more ways to confederate like they did with Norsca, confederating as the VC/Von Carstein is like pulling teeth currently.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Sedisp posted:

It'd be a different way of modeling it though. You'd either give the unit firing the hitscan a center of fire or just roll a miss or hit when the unit fired. Neither would be great options since manual firing is a thing.

Why not? Skaven weapons are unreliable at best, it would make sense for it to behave strangely. Just hyperaccelerate the 'projectile' and maybe have it ignore trees.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/warhammer-rpg-books

Could be more tempting, if the most interesting/amusing parts lore was not already being presented here. Did the RPG part of old Warhammer die along with the boardgame since they are dumping them in a big heap?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

rockopete posted:

Why not? Skaven weapons are unreliable at best, it would make sense for it to behave strangely. Just hyperaccelerate the 'projectile' and maybe have it ignore trees.

Even then hitscan things that target individual units might not be something the engine has in it. Just making the projectile go very fast might also cause balance issues or animation issues, or it could just be a case of it didn't play or look very well when they did it. usually if a bunch of dudes on a dead gay comedy forum have come up with an idea some dev chained to a Creative Assembly desk thought of it to and it was a disaster.

Like they put so much pointless detail into everything else it's hard to imagine they just took one of the most iconic things about the Skaven and just half assed it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

rockopete posted:

For Dark Elves two of the biggest contenders are Malus Darkblade and Crone Hellebron.

Darkblade is a popular character from a bunch of books, so if he comes in it would make sense to come at the same time as a Thanquol/Gotrek and Felix pack

Hellebron is the leader of the witch elves, is super devoted to Khaine and absolutely HATES Morathi because Morathi won't let her use the magic rejuvenating cauldron, so she actually looks as old as she is. Her headquarters is in the Har Ganeth, the holiest city of Khaine and ironically the one place where murder, stealing, raping, not worshipping Khaine hard enough, etc. are actually considered crimes. The sentence for everything is death of course. There's also an annual purge night, since everything seems to have one now

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Rincewinds posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/warhammer-rpg-books

Could be more tempting, if the most interesting/amusing parts lore was not already being presented here. Did the RPG part of old Warhammer die along with the boardgame since they are dumping them in a big heap?

the latest (third) edition of WFRP ended (along with the 40k RPG) when GW cancelled all of their licensing deals with fantasy flight games, I dunno if they're planning on finding someone to make a new edition

e:

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

For Dark Elves two of the biggest contenders are Malus Darkblade and Crone Hellebron.
christ alive

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Sedisp posted:

Even then hitscan things that target individual units might not be something the engine has in it. Just making the projectile go very fast might also cause balance issues or animation issues, or it could just be a case of it didn't play or look very well when they did it. usually if a bunch of dudes on a dead gay comedy forum have come up with an idea some dev chained to a Creative Assembly desk thought of it to and it was a disaster.

Like they put so much pointless detail into everything else it's hard to imagine they just took one of the most iconic things about the Skaven and just half assed it.

I'm not saying they hosed it up or I have a better idea, just that your specific objections didn't seem to make much sense. I'm sure I'll be satisfied however they do it.

More generally, I do wish Games Workshop hadn't redone the Lightning Cannon. It's been a while since I kept up with tabletop and my last memory of the Warp Lightning Cannon was this

which I just discovered apparently became this...mess

that lightning bolt at the end makes the thing look particularly cheap.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Someone post some Shogun 2 homing arrow gifs. Bonus points if it's 100 arrows all slamming into the same poor guy.

(But yeah you can walk fast enough units back and forth in front of missile lines and manage to dodge some fire because of travel times and obstacles - especially light cav against artillery at extreme range - the homing arrow thing is just how it animates a unit being hit when there's only a few models left or something, and also because small arms has/had the to-hit roll made before the animation was complete rather than tracking the physics too closely like for bigger weapons)

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
All new models are worse than their older versions because GW has had an obsessive drive to make their miniatures look more "epic", "awesome" and "badass", which hardly ever works out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

the latest (third) edition of WFRP ended (along with the 40k RPG) when GW cancelled all of their licensing deals with fantasy flight games, I dunno if they're planning on finding someone to make a new edition

They already did, Cubicle 7 will be making a (still set in the Old World) WHFRP4e, that's why Cube 7 is offering PDFs of all the old books.

I think someone at GW figured out they can make Age of Sigmar and then also make normal Hams Fantasy stuff for people like CA or shopping out the RPG rights.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The Old Friend thing turned out to be Krell, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

peer posted:

All new models are worse than their older versions because GW has had an obsessive drive to make their miniatures look more "epic", "awesome" and "badass", which hardly ever works out.

also because the one thing they're better at than their competitors nowadays is doing technically difficult sculpts (lots of fiddly bits etc.) and so they lean on that way too hard and end up with hideously busy models

although this model isn't actually that bad on that front

• Locked thread