Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Farg posted:

i hope yojimbo is in the SB Hildibrand quests and he gets called Jim

I'm thinking about thos Gils

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Crossposting from Coupons and Deals:

Amazon's got Theatrhythm Curtani Call for an insane price so if you own a 3DS and haven't played it you should absolutely jump on it.

Seriously, best game in the series since it focuses on the one thing that's actually good across all the games. And then it has other great Square music as DLC. Chrono Trigger, NieR, freaking Live a Live...

Seriously SE make a freaking Switch version with the rest of your games.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
My secret FF confession is that I distinctly remember liking Squall in my last go of FF8. I can't say I relate to his character, but that doesn't stop me from liking Auron.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mega64 posted:

Seriously SE make a freaking Switch version with the rest of your games.
Yeah, I want Theatrhythm Encore that is just Curtain Call + all its DLC the way that CC was the original + DLC.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I miss Curtain Call DLC...

Would rebuy on Switch, day 1.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Varance posted:

Speaking of Ultimecia, here's her Dissidia AC reveal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9eUOAiBhAc

Awesome, another song I like turned to poo poo.

Attitude Indicator posted:

I'll bite.
Because they sound like low quality garbage. Made with bad mixing, lovely drums, cheesy synths and an ELECTRIC GUITARS makes everything rad as hell mindset.
But, you know, music is subjective and all that, so you do you.

It's some bad OCRemix shlock, definitely. The FFXII boss cover is actually great, it stands out.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm really enjoying the Tactics remixes. https://youtu.be/GtfWcqEZY1Y

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Curtain Call really is a fantastic game. The DLC even has music from Seiken Densetsu 3.

Speaking of SD3, I've been replaying it. God I love the fight against Dangaard (the wind God Beast). Flying on Flammie while High Tension Wire plays is :allears: it's a shame that song isn't in Curtain Call.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
hello i'm late but once again r=u is dumb thank you for reading

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

quote:

With that notion of user feedback in mind, I brought up the iOS and Steam versions of Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI, which are, to put it delicately, not pretty. Although Japanese players seem fine with the games’ new art, North American fans have complained that there is no feasible way to play the better SNES or GBA versions of FFV and FFVI on today’s consoles. I asked if Kitase would consider putting the original versions of both games on modern platforms, and he appeared surprised at the request.

“I am actually curious to know — I believe the port version, the one you can get right now, does use the more brushed up artwork that’s a little bit more refined,” Kitase said. “Do fans want to see the older version that’s not as refined? Is that the sentiment?”

“Yes,” I said, explaining that North American gamers have not reacted positively to the iOS and Steam versions of Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI.

“Understood,” Kitase said. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

ughhhhhhh they think it's what we wanted all this time?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Interesting that the negative reception of the graphics is mostly a NA (and I assume Europe) thing. If the Japanese fanbase don't really care then it's not surprising they kept going for it.

And maaaaybe this will be a sign that SE may listen to Western audiences more? Though to be fair I'm pretty sure Western feedback was and is used a lot for FF14 and FF15's development.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"Here is a piece of poo poo. It's ugly and it stinks a lot. I just made it :)"

"What do you mean you would like the old masterpieces? I put a lot of effort into this. You a dork, son?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Interesting that the negative reception of the graphics is mostly a NA (and I assume Europe) thing. If the Japanese fanbase don't really care then it's not surprising they kept going for it.

To be clear on this:

It's actually not a NA/Europe thing either. There actually is a positive reception to the artwork changes from more casual or younger/newer players. You can see this if you dig through mobile reviews for example, where you'll see people praising how much better it looks or (in the case of things like CT where it isn't touched up) complaining that it hasn't been. It gets a negative response from a specific segment of the fandom for certain but it isn't an overwhelming negative response from all FF fans or all people who purchase FF.

Something that looks smooth and 'clean' works better for people who are used to those things even if they look like complete poo poo to a lot of us. For all that we'll post shots of the godawful castle in FF6 or the bad tile laying, a lot of people just don't notice that stuff.

There is a serious and negative response to the graphics, don't get me wrong, but it runs into the gap of there being a significant segment of FF's fanbase who are divorced from traditional gamer stuff so it isn't necessarily overwhelming.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If they weren't so blurry I could live with it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mega64 posted:

And maaaaybe this will be a sign that SE may listen to Western audiences more? Though to be fair I'm pretty sure Western feedback was and is used a lot for FF14 and FF15's development.

I doubt it it means there's anything different in dynamics. It reminds me of how there was a big bug in the PS3 port for KH2 that only got hotfixed for the PS4 release because a random speedrunner showed it at a live demo to some SE guys at PAX. Meaning that this was just a lucky coincidence of meeting some execs who can (theoritically) do something and not get ignored by normal PR guys.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mega64 posted:

They do what they can in FF14, but they are still somewhat hamstrung by everything needing to go through the community team due to the language barrier. Still though, I can only assume they are listening since the last numbers I saw pegged NA as the biggest playerbase with Europe very close behind and Japan a fairly distant third.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
They do a lot of western reach-out for FFXIV, but a lot of that may just Yoshida wanting an open MMORPG development process. That said the English Localization lead is also a key Lore writer on the development team, so a lot of the English "localization" is baked right into the game world like the lyrics of "Metal" being in gobbietalk.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've finally gotten around to playing XV and I am quite enjoying it. Very beautiful game

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tae posted:

ughhhhhhh they think it's what we wanted all this time?
man I don't care if it means I can buy FFV GBA legally on Steam

and also on Switch VC when it launches

and on Android and iOS

just let me throw money at you for a game I already own, SE

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

So I have some leftover medals from the chocobo moogle festival in 15 after getting the dream egg and car decal, what should I spend them on?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

For those interested in Octopath Traveler, the new game from the Bravely Default people, there's a demo that just hit the Nintendo Switch eShop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-lnvBXy68Q

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mega64 posted:

For those interested in Octopath Traveler, the new game from the Bravely Default people, there's a demo that just hit the Nintendo Switch eShop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-lnvBXy68Q

This is gonna be a secret Saga game isn't it?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cross-posting from Switch thread.

Mega64 posted:

Octopath Traveler, finished Olberic's path in under an hour. I'll do Primrose's in a day or two. Quick thoughts:

* The text is slow, and there's a lot of it. Didn't check to see if you could skip cutscenes. Story stuff is pretty generic, and also long. They really could cut a lot of this out.
* You can challenge pretty much every NPC besides the ones that save the game. Including the kid's mom and the old man.
* There are random battles, but they're pretty infrequent. They're not that trivial either.
* As far as level curve goes, I did one dungeon and ended the demo at L7.
* The boss of the demo is pretty challenging, though once you get the hang of it the battle lasts longer than it should. The boss really could have its health reduced a good bit while still getting the point across that blindly mashing attack is a dumb idea. Good use of the few mechanics the game has available.

The battle system's pretty cool. Each round you get a boost dot, up to a max of six, which you can use to do extra attacks on an enemy. It's similar to the Bravely Default system, except instead of Defending to get more action points you just get one a round. The trick is that each enemy has a defense stat and one or two weapon types they are weak to. You lower the defense stat by hitting the enemy with said weapons (Olberic for instance wields swords and polearms), with each hit reducing this defense by one. Once the stat hits zero, the enemy is stunned and for the current and next turns each hit deals roughly 50% more damage, making it a great opportunity to use up your boost points for extra hits (up to a max of four attacks). Boost points also boost damage from special abilities and increase the amount you defend. Olberic has four abilities, and I used the first two fairly regularly at least.

I'm sold on the game. The story parts look like they'll drag, but the gameplay seems like it'll more than compensate.

I'm hyped.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Mega64 posted:

Cross-posting from Switch thread.

I'm hyped.

Bravely Default went through a series of demos where they kept implementing user feedback, so make sure you let them know how you feel about the text speed.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

it looks bad

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Yeah, and remember that the story parts were the worst bit of the BD demo, but ended up being fine in the final product. I'm sure they'll be better when the game comes out.

Of course it's unlikely that I'll get it since I still don't have enough reason to buy a Switch.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

CeallaSo posted:

, but ended up being fine in the final product. I'm sure they'll be better when the game comes out.

Ah u 'avin' a giggle m8?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

Bravely Default went through a series of demos where they kept implementing user feedback, so make sure you let them know how you feel about the text speed.

Definitely plan on it.

CeallaSo posted:

Yeah, and remember that the story parts were the worst bit of the BD demo, but ended up being fine in the final product. I'm sure they'll be better when the game comes out.

The loooooong cutscenes are what made me quit BD in the first place, so I'd hate to imagine how long they were before.

e: Which is a weird thing to say in the Final Fantasy thread, to be fair. But FF games are more dynamic in having characters move and emote, while BD's cutscenes are mainly a lot of talking heads going back and forth. I don't know, there was something about that game's cutscenes that turned me off.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 14, 2017

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The dynamic cutscenes of FF4, featuring characters occasionally jumping, looking at the camera, and spinning in circles. God, Final Fantasy is such a forerunner of cutscene and gameplay dynamism and direction.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gologle posted:

The dynamic cutscenes of FF4, featuring characters occasionally jumping, looking at the camera, and spinning in circles. God, Final Fantasy is such a forerunner of cutscene and gameplay dynamism and direction.

To be fair, the puppet animation of the later sprite FFs and the early 3D ones were really impressive at conveying a lot of feeling with very little.

FF4 through FF9.

From 10 onwards they were more like other videogames, more detailed but also more realistic and less left for your imagination to fill in.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mega64 posted:

e: Which is a weird thing to say in the Final Fantasy thread, to be fair. But FF games are more dynamic in having characters move and emote, while BD's cutscenes are mainly a lot of talking heads going back and forth. I don't know, there was something about that game's cutscenes that turned me off.

They're talking back and forth, but aside from the relatively static positioning, they still animate about as much as older FF games did.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I have a super specific question about FFX, since I am finally playing it in glorious HD and am at the point of doing side quests near the end of the game: who are some really good defenders I can get for my Blitzball team? Jassu is great but Botta got less useful over time and is a liability now. Right now my team is Tidus, Brother, Letty, Jassu, Botta and Durren.

I went like fifteen games unscored upon but Botta sucks so bad now I am giving up 2-3 goals sometimes.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

bizarre deformity posted:

I have a super specific question about FFX, since I am finally playing it in glorious HD and am at the point of doing side quests near the end of the game: who are some really good defenders I can get for my Blitzball team? Jassu is great but Botta got less useful over time and is a liability now. Right now my team is Tidus, Brother, Letty, Jassu, Botta and Durren.

I went like fifteen games unscored upon but Botta sucks so bad now I am giving up 2-3 goals sometimes.

When I did FFX HD platinum a few months ago I used Tidus & Wedge as forwards, Brother as center, Ropp & Kyou as defenders, and Jumal as goalie. I was only going for Wakka's ultimate weapon so I abused reset data & enter/exit blitzball to play as few games as possible. Team was easy mode at low level.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Instead of blitzball have you considered taking a claw hammer to your genitals or perhaps watching grass grow

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Calaveron posted:

Instead of blitzball have you considered taking a claw hammer to your genitals or perhaps watching grass grow

I am that guy who enjoys Blitzball.

VegasShirtGuy posted:

When I did FFX HD platinum a few months ago I used Tidus & Wedge as forwards, Brother as center, Ropp & Kyou as defenders, and Jumal as goalie. I was only going for Wakka's ultimate weapon so I abused reset data & enter/exit blitzball to play as few games as possible. Team was easy mode at low level.

I know Kyou is already on a team, I'll look for Ropp. Jumal and Miyu were snatched up quickly, too, but Durren is good.

Edit: I'm also only playing for Wakka's Overdrives/Sigils but I am pretty close to being finished

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 14, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

How to play blitzball. Score one goal. Spend the rest of the match with the ball hanging out with your goal keeper.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If you're just starting, pick up Zalitz as a defender. He's good up until like level 20 then gets outclassed - get Ropp. Wedge starts off good as a forward then starts getting really good defense stats, so that switch him over then (make sure you give him marks so he learns tackle moves) and grab Vilucha as a forward at that point. Either get Brother or Tatts at midfield. I like Tatts personally because he has insanely high energy and passing. Nimrook is the best goalie, but you need to get him off the Psyches, so grab Kyou or Miyu in the meantime then when his contract expires, do the reset trick until they decide not to re-sign.

Edit: this lineup will get you through the majority of blitzball without having to change it:

LF: Tidus
RF: Vilucha
MF: Tatts / Brother
LD: Ropp
RD: Wedge
KP: Nimrook

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 14, 2017

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Norns posted:

How to play blitzball. Score one goal. Spend the rest of the match with the ball hanging out with your goal keeper.

Didn't they fix this in the remaster?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The remaster didn't change anything except having a worse soundtrack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Trophies are an extremely important addition

I want trophies for VIII + IX