Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't think it was worse than the randomly appearing one hit kill ghost house but yeah.

I managed fine with that one and even enjoyed the level for being very Resident Evil-y. Ruvik is slow, predictable, and there's usually something to hide in nearby. Although one unfortunate exception resulted in me taking too long to hide and a hilarious scene where he casually walks up to the bed, waves his hand, and an anime geyser of blood explodes out of it. And I think he only spawns three times although the timing is random, it's like +/- a couple minutes from when you open a new door. I've had him spawn into a normal enemy and nearly got insta-killed.

Laura is fast, lunges, teleports before attacking, and the game expects you to aim at tiny obstacles while avoiding her, pulling a lever that takes 10 seconds to pull, then waiting another minute for the fire to die down. You're expected to have some ice bolts laying around to really manage this part.

The boss following was a nice breath of fresh air for a giant monster that tosses cars around. Reminded me of the gargantua fight in the parking garage from Half-Life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Evil Within is such a weird game. It's like four games that, on their own, are pretty good. Not great, but fun. Unfortunately smushing them together in a single title makes for a weird, discordant experience where one moment you're stealthing through a village, the next you're fleeing a teleporting, near-omnipotent foe, the next you're gunning down hordes of enemies, and it's just so bizarre and incongruous. I kind of enjoyed it as a weird B-movie type of experience, but I also only played it in two/three hour chunks, so that feeling of disconnect between sections wasn't particularly strong.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Evil Within is such a weird game. It's like four games that, on their own, are pretty good. Not great, but fun. Unfortunately smushing them together in a single title makes for a weird, discordant experience where one moment you're stealthing through a village, the next you're fleeing a teleporting, near-omnipotent foe, the next you're gunning down hordes of enemies, and it's just so bizarre and incongruous. I kind of enjoyed it as a weird B-movie type of experience, but I also only played it in two/three hour chunks, so that feeling of disconnect between sections wasn't particularly strong.

I enjoyed Evil Within until I got to the boss with lots of health, two forms, and a hard-to-dodge instant kill in the second form. At least the RE4 bosses were piss-easy once you knew how to do them, that motherfucker just ended my game right then and there.

Speaking of RE, RE7 is on sale for >50% off, is it actually scary or is it hide and seek with loud things that jump at you? I saw a lot of good press when it first came out but some of the recent reviews are making me hesitate.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Trick Question posted:

I enjoyed Evil Within until I got to the boss with lots of health, two forms, and a hard-to-dodge instant kill in the second form. At least the RE4 bosses were piss-easy once you knew how to do them, that motherfucker just ended my game right then and there.

Speaking of RE, RE7 is on sale for >50% off, is it actually scary or is it hide and seek with loud things that jump at you? I saw a lot of good press when it first came out but some of the recent reviews are making me hesitate.

RE7 is tense because of the switch to first person view but it definitely becomes less scary later on. There's also a lack of enemy variety.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Resident Evil 7 is kind of like a switch back to the basics, like GTA IV was for the Grand Theft Auto series. Even though it's set in the same world, it makes some huge changes and removes a lot of the bloat that affected its predecessors to make the upgrade to the next generation. This does mean that some of the interesting stuff got removed too.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

re7 is really effective at what it does. it was what the series needed, more or less

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

re7 is really effective at what it does. it was what the series needed, more or less

What does it do, though? Is the beauty that it doesn't do anything?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Bogart posted:

There was, uh. Wilson's Heart? Dunno how that turned out.
I think I'm halfway through Wilson's Heart and still enjoying myself, but it's not without warts. The horror is more 50s Frankenstein vs. Wolfman style and aside from some waggle-control segments, it's a puzzle game at heart, so it's not a very intense kind of horror. I appreciate those because it's easier to soak in the atmosphere and VR heightens simple things like jump scares (I had some full body jolts). WH's controls are very basic and only a small amount of the environment is interactive, so more recent games make it seem kinda thin. Batman Arkham VR didn't even have any combat but feels like a much richer experience, for example.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Blattdorf posted:

Maize is carried by its story which is pretty amusing throughout. Mechanically the game could have been somewhat better. I am, however, glad they highlighted every object you can interact with.

Be careful with this one as its, uh, let's say style is very take it or leave it. I especially remember Voidburger just losing the will to finish it as she streamed because of its particular flavor of British humor got old. Fast.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i dont know anything about the british and their humor

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Trick Question posted:

well you get to explore around in this spooky house while fighting freaks of nature

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Trick Question posted:

Resident Evil had become kind of bloated as a series by RE6. It had gone from a relatively simple "Locked in a mansion run by mad scientists" survival horror game with limited supplies to a series of action games where practically superhuman heroes rippling with muscles engaged in car chases, killed hundreds of semi-intelligent zombies armed with guns and chainsaws with unlimited ammo shotguns, and took down doors with simultaneous spin kicks.

RE7 eliminated that in favor of returning to its roots: a handful of guns with very limited ammo (I'm actually stuck right now because I ran out of ammo for everything but the flamethrower and it's useless against the enemies I'm facing), a vulnerable protagonist, a smaller and more confined map, and traditional horror imagery instead of massive action set pieces. By removing the excesses of its predecessors, it returns Resident Evil to a horror series.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Trick Question posted:

This is a question I asked myself every second playing it and eventually stopped unfinished for months. RE7 does nothing in particular well, I don't think. It's simpler in many ways than the original game. There are only a handful of enemies, the simplest of puzzles, and really no exploration compared to basically any other first person adventure hybrid. But it's Capcom's best presentation in a game, best sound design, pretty reasonably paced, and at the very least nice to look at. It's just that there isn't much there and reminds me of the scale of Sweet Home or Alone in the Dark where it's a very personal journey without the grandiose design of their later titles.

I know I'm doing a bad job selling it but even though it's unfinished, and I don't know if I'll even finish it this year, I still remember every scene vividly.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Didn't RE7 have like 7 or so enemy types? Not counting the Bakers.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't think there's seven even if you include the Bakers

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

I don't think there's seven even if you include the Bakers

The door spiders, the tiny flying bugs, the giant flying bugs, the fat molded, the fast molded, the regular molded, the spikey arm molded...

That's the seven that come to mind.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

There are six regular enemies/hazards:

1. Molded
2. Quick Molded
3. Fat Molded
4. Insect swarms
5. Giant insects
6. Spiders

There's also 4 bosses, and Jack can probably be considered a 7th "enemy" since he makes regular appearances through the beginning of the game instead of just specific boss fights.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

The door spiders, the tiny flying bugs, the giant flying bugs, the fat molded, the fast molded, the regular molded, the spikey arm molded...

That's the seven that come to mind.

Ah yeah ok. I was just thinking of the molded types

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

According to the fan wiki there are eight total creatures, including all the Baker's, but really most of them are minor changes on the same formula.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
It doesn't really matter, the only enemy that's worth anything is Jack. The rest only try to serve as a reprieve or poor replacement lest the game only have one true enemy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nah, the woman was the highlight for me. The swarms and spiders are basically non-enemies but her fight was brilliant and should've been extended across the whole old house instead of introducing her as someone who just throws bees at the player.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Pocket bees! Shhh-sha-sha-sha!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

chitoryu12 posted:

Resident Evil 7 is kind of like a switch back to the basics, like GTA IV was for the Grand Theft Auto series. Even though it's set in the same world, it makes some huge changes and removes a lot of the bloat that affected its predecessors to make the upgrade to the next generation. This does mean that some of the interesting stuff got removed too.

GTAIV tried for the more realistic approach and added a lot of it's own bloat though. Hey cousin!

Crabtree posted:

It doesn't really matter, the only enemy that's worth anything is Jack. The rest only try to serve as a reprieve or poor replacement lest the game only have one true enemy.

Yeah, the whole game should have just been the family playing cat and mouse with you like Texas Chainsaw Massacre in a larger house as Jack does in the beginning. Remove the molded, stupid psychic girl plot and whole boat sequence with it's terrible flashbacks. But no, the whole thing has to tie into the massive piece of poo poo world that RE has become. Capcom had a good thing going with 7.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

al-azad posted:

Nah, the woman was the highlight for me. The swarms and spiders are basically non-enemies but her fight was brilliant and should've been extended across the whole old house instead of introducing her as someone who just throws bees at the player.

While it was interesting, it did commit the cardinal sin of not telling you if you were actually doing anything to her during the fight. Exploding yellow eyes are annoying, but at least they show a positive result to dumping your ammo into the enemy

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Talking about stabbing eyes made me think about the first boss in Cry of Fear; He was a big, sickly skinny guy with nails in his skin and a chainsaw. If he hit you at all you died but you could juke his saw because he had to wind up; The result was that knifing the giant chainsaw zombie was probably easier than shooting him with the finicky, limited ammo pistol you could get by then.

Saintv77
Aug 5, 2008

Did anyone who played Re7 in VR hate it? Because holy poo poo did that make it one of the standout games of this year for me. Just about every boss fight and area was incredibly memorable and fresh, even the ship.

Nothing could make the mines fun though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I thought RE7 was fine the way it was

There clearly was not enough game there if it was just the Bakers and nothing else. I rather have the traditional RE game they made than yet another getting chased down by single unkillable entities game.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Saintv77 posted:

Did anyone who played Re7 in VR hate it? Because holy poo poo did that make it one of the standout games of this year for me. Just about every boss fight and area was incredibly memorable and fresh, even the ship.

I loved it in VR, it was absolutely terrifying and totally gripping, unfortunately it made me way too nauseous to play. Thankfully the friend I was playing with didn't have that problem, and even being in the same room with someone playing it in VR added a lot of creep factor to the experience.

Blockhouse posted:

I thought RE7 was fine the way it was

There clearly was not enough game there if it was just the Bakers and nothing else. I rather have the traditional RE game they made than yet another getting chased down by single unkillable entities game.

I'm definitely on the same page. I'm sick to death of hide-and-seek horror, and I thought the pacing and up-and-down of the game's more tense moments were great. I definitely appreciated that they didn't go the Outlast et al route, and that I could be confident that when I killed an enemy, it stayed dead. We got caught off-guard by new Moldeds popping up in places we'd already been that it never really felt "safe" anyway.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
I loved RE7.

For me an essential component of any survival horror game is the 'safe' areas that punctuate the dread and kind of present the dilemma of staying in a comfy zone for a while and doing nothing, or progressing the story but dealing with the horrors beyond the room.

Never has a place felt more comfy to me and tempted me more to just stay put than Zoe's trailer, I'd hang out in there right now if I could.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Crabtree posted:

Be careful with this one as its, uh, let's say style is very take it or leave it. I especially remember Voidburger just losing the will to finish it as she streamed because of its particular flavor of British humor got old. Fast.

The big thing against it is that the game is slow. It's basically a walking simulator in which you happen to pick things up and use them in obvious ways.

As for the humour, you'll either like it or bounce off pretty hard.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

i dont know anything about the british and their humor

I'm British and I don't know either. The last funny thing created here was I.T crowd or Peep show I don't know which came first. I think British humour is now hot takes about brexit.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Saintv77 posted:

I played it 100% in VR and thought it was the best gaming experience I've ever had. It feels weird when people talk about VR needing a proper full game because it already has one.

It definitely needs more of them though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Simiain posted:

I loved RE7.

For me an essential component of any survival horror game is the 'safe' areas that punctuate the dread and kind of present the dilemma of staying in a comfy zone for a while and doing nothing, or progressing the story but dealing with the horrors beyond the room.

Never has a place felt more comfy to me and tempted me more to just stay put than Zoe's trailer, I'd hang out in there right now if I could.

I do agree, although to make the tiniest nitpick I do wish that they were more than just arbitrary locations. One thing I loved about Left 4 Dead's visual design was the design of the safe room, where you would make it in and slam closed this big, meaty door that could keep anything out. In RE7 it was more just a door the same as any of them that the enemies could easily pass through. Having some sort of barricade would have been awesome.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Or something that would attack the mold itself. Like padded locks would be used against you, but if there was some anti-fungal chemical that would keep the molded and their spores away, that would actually be shelter.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Crabtree posted:

Or something that would attack the mold itself. Like padded locks would be used against you, but if there was some anti-fungal chemical that would keep the molded and their spores away, that would actually be shelter.

Sort of like the UV lamps in Dying Light?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

al-azad posted:

I managed fine with that one and even enjoyed the level for being very Resident Evil-y. Ruvik is slow, predictable, and there's usually something to hide in nearby. Although one unfortunate exception resulted in me taking too long to hide and a hilarious scene where he casually walks up to the bed, waves his hand, and an anime geyser of blood explodes out of it. And I think he only spawns three times although the timing is random, it's like +/- a couple minutes from when you open a new door. I've had him spawn into a normal enemy and nearly got insta-killed.

Laura is fast, lunges, teleports before attacking, and the game expects you to aim at tiny obstacles while avoiding her, pulling a lever that takes 10 seconds to pull, then waiting another minute for the fire to die down. You're expected to have some ice bolts laying around to really manage this part.

The boss following was a nice breath of fresh air for a giant monster that tosses cars around. Reminded me of the gargantua fight in the parking garage from Half-Life.

wait the unkillable bonus monster from REmake is in The Evil Within? sheesh talk about plagiarizing yourself

Simiain posted:

I loved RE7.

is it too late to plug SH4 The Room? The mid-game surprise is probably one of the most successful moments of gameplay reinforcing the feeling of dread of the atmosphere I've ever witnessed

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 15, 2017

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Simiain posted:

Big fan of smoking on the toilet?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

A big flaming stink posted:

is it too late to plug SH4 The Room? The mid-game surprise is probably one of the most successful moments of gameplay reinforcing the feeling of dread of the atmosphere I've ever witnessed

Despite some of the stupid poo poo in that game it was genuinely unsettling and claustrophobic and made me nervous and a little afraid throughout. It had burping nurses and Big Stupid Head, but it also had some real atmosphere and scariness.

I'd also not hesitate to say it's the last good Silent Hill game we'll ever get, because Konami is a zombie corporation and every game post-4 sucked.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Kulkasha posted:

Sort of like the UV lamps in Dying Light?

Yeah, if it could work like that. Part of what made the mold slightly more believable and frightening than a traditional zombie virus is that there are probably rules to how it spreads and builds. Playing with that and possibly even losing safe houses from the mold by having power go out or equipment get damaged could actually make the player feel like the saving rooms could have value as something the mold can't get into.

And that could even give a contrast with the disgusting but logical state of the house with how the mold and molded operate on needing the rotting flesh and whatnot to be good fertilizer for more mold buildup. Outright cleanliness could give an area a very easy signs of how far away from the monsters you are.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

It's a good game, but I'll always be a bit bummed that it doesn't live up to level of creepiness in its own trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwBXIBXPWQA