Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Liquid Communism posted:

So if anything ever goes wrong structurally in any of those three houses, you're going to have to tear the wall down from the inside?

Jesus. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near those strictly from a fire code standpoint. If one goes up the whole block will.

You would dislike living in a U.K. Industrial town, rows and rows of 2/3 bed room 1 bathroom houses that are connected to each other. Your neighbour 4 doors down has a gas leak? Enjoy your evacuation kids. Your neighbour does not do maintenance on their roof? That's a problem shared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I've lived in many semi-detached houses without panicking. There's definitely 50 cm between the houses, FWIW.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Subjunctive posted:

That's pretty similar to my house, huh.

*braces self*

Not a grandmahouse, not brandless mcm, has exposed beams, kitchen probably not dilapidated 1970's "vintage"

You're dead kiddo get out while you still can

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
8 year old me wants to climb out of the window and huddle down in the corner of that flat roof with a book.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

learnincurve posted:

8 year old me wants to climb out of the window and huddle down in the corner of that flat roof with a book.

40-year-old me kinda wants to.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I went on quite the journey when I remembered that Americans won't know that the shambles is a place that you can live where you can lean out the window and high five your neighbour
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.959407,-1.080104,0h,0p,1z

Then you can go buy a flat in a actual medieval mansion on a street built by vikings
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68589746.html

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Liquid Communism posted:

So if anything ever goes wrong structurally in any of those three houses, you're going to have to tear the wall down from the inside?

Jesus. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near those strictly from a fire code standpoint. If one goes up the whole block will.

It's really okay. Townhouses have been a thing for quite a while now.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Apparently someone performed the ritual sacrifice and closed my Gate.

I don't know why they put the rocks there; I suspect a misinterpretation of what I told their boss, but luckily I can move most of them easily. So, now for some choices:

This one doesn't look half-bad, but may be prone to rust.

This one might last a bit longer. Or not, who knows?

This one might be a nice contrast, rather than round with round and some more round.

I'm open to any suggestions that aren't crazy expensive. I guess getting a pit ring and stacking blocks around it is a possibility as well, but I'm less keen on that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anything with a fine grill will be dead very quickly. My neighbours have a very simple one, thick cast iron and it's lasted decades and roars like a jet engine when you really get it going, it's fun as hell and really heats the area.

Other neighbour had a sort of grilled gazebo style one like the last one you posted and the grills burned and rusted through in a couple years.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If it were me I'd skip the metal thing altogether and just do a few courses of stones to make a nice and completely weatherproof fire pit. I mean you already have a perfect gravel bed, so why not? Example with the previous winter's Christmas tree ready to go:

Guaranteed to not rust, ever. I'd dig away enough gravel to put the first course flush with the ground, and go up three or four from there. Pretty cheap, too.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

If it were me I'd skip the metal thing altogether and just do a few courses of stones to make a nice and completely weatherproof fire pit. I mean you already have a perfect gravel bed, so why not? Example with the previous winter's Christmas tree ready to go:

Guaranteed to not rust, ever.

Those kids are ready to see some loving fire :black101:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I mean, it's a pretty f'in great tradition imo:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bad Munki posted:

Guaranteed to not rust, ever. I'd dig away enough gravel to put the first course flush with the ground, and go up three or four from there. Pretty cheap, too.

Get closer kids, mommy and daddy can only afford to keep one of you.

jk

cute kids, nice pit.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Bad Munki posted:

I mean, it's a pretty f'in great tradition imo:

I do this every spring with my tree too :)

I don't have a pit so it's a little more interesting in terms of safety.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Get closer kids, mommy and daddy can only afford to keep one of you.

Ha, those are actually a friend's kids. Here's how my own daughter treats a much smaller, more sedate fire:

She absolutely refused to come any closer, for concern of safety.

AAAAAANYHOW, just build a stone fire pit, they're great. Don't use any mortar or mastic, just stack the stones up. If the drainage is good (yours definitely is) they won't shift around over winter, and even if they do, it takes like 15 minutes to completely dismantle and rebuild the thing. The metal stand thingies always felt a little...meh to me. If it's going on a patio, sure, fine I guess, but once you move away from the house a bit, go legit. I love my stacked stone pits!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I should have only HALF filled the pit and had a fire for the ages. =) It definitely needs a fire screen (it is surrounded by pine trees), but obviously those are available for round stone pits as well. Ad yeah, drainage should be good, as I heard them cutting the concrete while I was trying to get some sleep. Ultimately it will come down to "what does my wife want," and I'll forward everyone's input to her. Thanks.

There's a part of me that's looking forward to taking care of all of the remnants of the pine trees we had removed. It's been a long time since I've split wood! I'm sure that enthusiasm will die right quickly.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The great thing about splitting wood is that by the time you finish, you no longer need a fire.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I don't know why they put the rocks there; I suspect a misinterpretation of what I told their boss, but luckily I can move most of them easily. So, now for some choices:

That looks great now!

I've just finished ripping out an above ground pool, the (massively overbuilt) concrete platform next to it, and the (also massively overbuilt) "rockery" next to that, and now I have a fuckload of rocks in a pile and I might do something similar to what you've done there, but with my (massively overbuilt by a friend's dad) outdoor table and benches in the middle.

I would rant about the construction of the platform/patio/whatver thing, but now that it's a giant pile of rubble I don't want to think about it again. Let's just say that it was obviously constructed in 3 "layers" at different times by someone who learned about concreting by studying nazi u-boat pens.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It's really okay. Townhouses have been a thing for quite a while now.

They have, and there are very good reasons I would never willingly own one, same as condos.

Never, ever tie a property you own and live in to the cheapest, laziest person in the building's standards of maintenance and fire safety.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh, I'm definitely the laziest in this equation. By far.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

tetrapyloctomy posted:

This one doesn't look half-bad, but may be prone to rust.

This one might last a bit longer. Or not, who knows?

This one might be a nice contrast, rather than round with round and some more round.

I'm open to any suggestions that aren't crazy expensive. I guess getting a pit ring and stacking blocks around it is a possibility as well, but I'm less keen on that.

Something cheap?
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/how-to-turn-old-washing-machine-drum-fire-pit/

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.facebook.com/redbull/videos/10159538721855352/

Turning the inside of a house into a skate park, and living there.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Subjunctive posted:

That's pretty similar to my house, huh.

*braces self*

Both of those look awesome.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd love to see the expression on your face when you find out about townhouses and terraced houses. ;)

e,f,b

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 13, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

drgitlin posted:

I'd love to see the expression on your face when you find out about townhouses and terraced houses. ;)

e,f,b

I'm well aware of them, however (at least in the case of townhouses here) fire code requires they have dividers rated for burn time rather than a 2 foot wide chimney running between to make them burn faster.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I remember our Victorian terraced houses being compared to those old New York apartments that used to burn down taking the whole street with them, which is exactly what happened during the blitz. Whole rows don't catch fire these days because the UK has a thing for fire prevention, with our fuse boxes and our plug sockets having individual fuses being the big ones.

Big problem we have is that after the war they threw up a load of metal framed houses with concrete on the outside of them. The metal frames are now rusting away. What they have to do is take off the concrete, treat the metal, brick up/concrete and pebbledash the outside, and finally fill the centre bit with fire suppressing insulation. You can't get a mortgage in a non-updated house and all council owned properties had to be up to code by 2010.

Bigger problem are what we call "Barret homes", huge estates comprised of cheaply constructed cookie cutter houses quickly tacked on to the outskirts of a town or village, with the company not giving a flying fig that the local area simply does not have the infrastructure to cope with a vast influx of families to an area. That nice school that got an outstanding and was a selling point for the builders is now a poor because there are too many kids to a classroom, and you can't get a doctors appointment for three weeks.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Also flammable apartment buildings.

(Melbourne and Sydney have heaps of those too, it turns out)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This fabulous Queen Anne can be yours for $185,000

:swoon: Some highlights

PHONE ROOM!

Those light fixtures! That woodwork! The tin ceilings!

It's in a bumfuck Kansas town which explains the price, but I couldn't imagine what it would cost to build a place like this in today's money.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Youth Decay posted:

This fabulous Queen Anne can be yours for $185,000

:swoon: Some highlights
Those light fixtures! That woodwork! The tin ceilings!

It's in a bumfuck Kansas town which explains the price, but I couldn't imagine what it would cost to build a place like this in today's money.

BRB, moving to Kansas.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I want those stained glass lights even though they'd look completely ridiculous in any other house. :stwoon:

But I'll pass on the chandelier at head-bonking height.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ehh, you put a table under it.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Bad Munki posted:

Ehh, you put a table under it.

Yep, that is intended to be a dining room. One of its doors leads to a big butler's pantry which leads to the kitchen

Oh you bet those are servant's stairs next to the fridge.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Price/sqft: $56

Had me at the doorway and cabinet detail...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

And it's just three doors down from this beauty: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/113-W-Fremont-Ave-Burlingame-KS-66413/113210757_zpid/

That's an interesting neighbourhood.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

... why is there an extension cord coming out of that fireplace?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Because the owner gave up on keeping the chimney cleaned and put Christmas lights in it

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Maybe it's so if you want your fire somewhere else, you can just plug in to that and have some fire by, say, the couch.

Or maybe they're renting the interior of the fireplace out as a one-room economy apartment, and that's the power disconnect for when your tenant doesn't pay their rent on time.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

It's basically the house from "Meet me in St Louis"

Edit: Not exactly, the house in "Meet me in St Louis" was a Victorian rather than a Queen Anne, but that interior is close!

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Facebook Aunt posted:

And it's just three doors down from this beauty: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/113-W-Fremont-Ave-Burlingame-KS-66413/113210757_zpid/

That's an interesting neighbourhood.
You got me to bust out Google Street View. I live rural--but not that rural!! The $185K home appears to be the nicest in town. Had a few Mercedes in the driveway. Lots of typical rural homes, a few boarded up and more with just a few boarded up windows. But what cements the rural nature of the town--how fast the paved roads disappear into single lane dirt roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I just imagined myself living in that house and that town. You got the shops just round the corner, including a quilting shop (quilting is my jam) a big school a short walk away and lots of countryside. 23 degree weather as well which looks pretty good from where I'm sitting right now. If I won the lottery I'd totally buy that house.