Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Rangers are probably only a couple more wet playoff farts away from retiring another 94 number

They retired #94, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Folks, I'm at the Flyers Isles rookie game and it's with a heavy heart that I must announce that the Flyera are still using lovely EDM during warm ups

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oontz oontz oontz oontz oontz

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Remix!

Apparently Ratcliffe (wearing 76) and Strome (wearing 78) are on a line together and I laugh to myself about that

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Thufir posted:

They'll replace numbers with ads. One day Alex Ovechkin's Geico Caveman jersey will proudly hang in the rafters, alongside the 2025 Honda Pilot Regular Season Champions banner.

I'd be OK with this, if instead of a giant jersey they just have a video screen of Ovi dancing in a No. 8 Eastern Motors jersey.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

cool time to watch the flyers play-

quote:

The content you are viewing is blacked out in your region.

lol fffffffffffuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
The fun thing about Habs retiring of numbers is that if you weren't like a for sure Hall of Famer/ generational talent with a minimum of 2 cups its like lol gently caress off scrub

Sorry saku and markov :(

We also managed to retire a number the day the player loving died thats insane

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Albino Squirrel posted:

The Flames and Blues employ 'honoured numbers' so they won't run out. Seems a better very long-term plan.

Kinda (for the Blues).

They have about 6 numbers retired, but then did the honor thing for #7.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

stab posted:

Remember the number 77 is retired by colorado

Avs dumb

How did I forget about this. The most ridiculous thing.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Rangers are probably only a couple more wet playoff farts away from retiring another 94 number

Nah they're actually retiring some older guys numbers that maybe should have been retired before now. They're retiring Ratelle's number 19 this year and he's a HOFer. They also co-retired number 9 for both Bathgate and Graves which is kind of dumb but is better than just retiring it for Graves

Sounds like the Rangers rookie tournament was a big wet fart from them but oh well, these tourney's are barely meaningful at all. I think I recall Hagelin having a pretty mediocre one before going on to have a pretty successful career

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So I had to look that one up. The avs seriously retired Ray Bourque for his epic contribution of 15 regular season and 5 payoff goals? Amazing.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Minnesota retiring 1 for their fans is the worst

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Shawn Cotureier posted:

shut up they deserved it way more that lorne "gump" worsely, noted bad goaltender and all around mediocre guy

edit

this post calls for one of the best hockey clips on the internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5hcML_A1Io

bewbies fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 14, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Shawn Cotureier posted:

lmao

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Remember when the Canucks retired #7 for their fans, and then quietly unretired it and pretended that they never retired it in the first place? Good times.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mark Friedman looks really loving good

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Flyers only retire numbers for HoFers and Barry Ashbee.

It works

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Penguins have only retired Lemieux and Briere, who was killed in a car accident after his rookie season of 1971.

However, I didn't realize until just a bit ago that Lemieux's was the first number retired after he retired the first time, not the guy who died in 1971.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

They might have to retire Jagr's this season.

Someone please sign Jagr.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Krime posted:

Penguins have only retired Lemieux and Briere, who was killed in a car accident after his rookie season of 1971.

However, I didn't realize until just a bit ago that Lemieux's was the first number retired after he retired the first time, not the guy who died in 1971.

And someday, Jagr will join them when he finally retires.

So likely a few years after after 87 and 71 are raised to the rafters.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

yellowcar posted:

They might have to retire Jagr's this season.

Someone please sign Jagr.

Play Jagr at 3rd line center, Jim.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Good soup! posted:

Mark Friedman looks really loving good

I'm really happy for him. Guy busted his rear end coming out of BG and just may find a place in that defensive logjam

E: Oh i see he's basically locked to go to the Phantoms. Still, good on him.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Flyers only retire numbers for HoFers and Barry Ashbee.

It works

I feel like Hextall should get 27 retired. It always feels weird when you have scrubs like Max Talbot and Bruno Gervais with it. Who knows, maybe if he builds a Cup winner they will.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 14, 2017

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Infidel Castro posted:

I feel like Hextall should get 27 retired. It always feels weird when you have scrubs like Max Talbot and Bruno Gervais with it. Who knows, maybe if he builds a Cup winner they will.

Put Ron Hextall in the Hall of Fame.

Also my thought is the only prospect D-men with any real shot of making the Flyers at the beginning of the year are Morin and Hagg. Sanheim I think will get a call up later in the season, but I don't think Myers or Friedman have any shot of a callup this season unless they dominate or there's a series of injuries.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I didn't get to watch much of last night's game but Charlie O'Connor did his first "10 Thoughts" for the Athletic and is just raving about the work of Friedman and Lindblom.

E: Yeah, Friedman and Meyers are probably the next two up but I'd be stunned to see them make the team out of camp.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 14, 2017

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/908320238944604161

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sounds pretty reasonable.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Over his last 5 year contract Little scored 237 points in 309 games, 63 point average over 82 games. This earned him a raise from 4.8m to 5.3m. loving steal of a contract, even if Little regresses

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Was it mentioned that Dedjardins got a PTO with the Rangers

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

All this drama for 6x$6.666?

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/908330759571853313

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Congrats Jamwad Hilder/Hitler

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Their whole big dumb thing was not wanting to pay him more than Marchand and Bergeron, even though Krejci makes more than them, because of some dumb culture thing they have with veterans/leaders/whatever.

Marchand said a few days ago he doesn't care if Pasta makes more than he does.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Goddamn that is a good deal.

e: it highlights how bad the draisaitl deal was. (not all that bad, but a 2M+ overpay per year)

On the other hand he's not giving up much UFA

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 14, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Wow...Sweeney did real good. I am extremely surprised.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Levitate posted:

Was it mentioned that Dedjardins got a PTO with the Rangers

I guess it's insurance if nobody works out at center, or more likely if only one of them does, he might win an AHL/two-way spot.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I honestly can't believe Sweeney pulled that off. Incredible. He has extra money to overpay someone now too!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That deal should make it a lot easier to trade him in two years when he has a bad playoffs or stops fitting their culture

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A mere 291 days until Pastrnak is traded to the um... Anaheim Ducks probably because he doesn't quite fit in with that storied Bruins culture.

e: I am very original. :effort:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Patrnak definitely caved because he didn't want to miss training camp...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

The Pastrnak deal was supposed to make me feel better about the Draisaitl deal, not worse.

Good deal for Boston/whoever trades for David "character issues" Pastrnak.

• Locked thread