Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Lol if you take yourself so seriously you can't enjoy Trailer Park Boys just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 9, 2022

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why is it OK to fawn over garbage cancon

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
That was redundant all cancon is garbage

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Except the newsroom

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The Red Green Show, Made in Canada

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 10, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
NF is clearly upset with TPB because, as someone who is frequently drunk and often told to gently caress off by everyone else, he identifies with Lahey and hates how the character gets treated.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

Made In Canada was great, why is it impossible to find streaming or on DVD/Bluray? I heard a rumor that it was killed for political reasons because it hit too close to home for some folks at the CBC, but I don't know how much I'm willing to believe that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

infernal machines posted:

This man speaks the truth. The two greatest shows in Canadian history.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

Made In Canada was great, why is it impossible to find streaming or on DVD/Bluray? I heard a rumor that it was killed for political reasons because it hit too close to home for some folks at the CBC, but I don't know how much I'm willing to believe that.

It's possible to find :filez:, I assumed there was a DVD release.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Bulk the gently caress up if you wanna win

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have got to stop reading the CBC comment sections

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

There is no escape.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
CI hates all cancon because secretly he loves The Beachcombers, wishes life in BC really were like that and still mourns the cancellation of the series.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

CI hates all cancon because secretly he loves The Beachcombers, wishes life in BC really were like that and still mourns the cancellation of the series.

I mean he's not wrong

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PittTheElder posted:

Exactly. If there was a more profitable place for them to be, they'd already be there.

Their first proposal was that the owners would chip in a fixed dollar amount for construction costs (about a fifth of the cost), the city would build and own the facility, the owners would operate it. The implications being:
  • The city has to find the rest of the money in the public coffers somewhere.
  • The city will bear the liability for any construction cost overruns, which are extremely likely because the site almost certainly requires an extensive environmental remediation, as it was once a creosote plant.
  • The city would bear the liability for maintaining it; this is a large unknown risk given the site's proximity to the river.
  • The city would not receive any share of the profits from operating the facility.
  • The city would receive no property tax income from the facility.

It was a laughably terrible idea from the city's perspective, and it's fantastic that council told them to gently caress off.

It also gave us this amazing quote:

The liability and legal issues around the creoste plant are so hilarious that even on some sort of miraculous timeframe that site was never going to work even in a 10 year time span.

Legally even if council approved without sorting out the liability, they couldnt even move forward as the city solictor would nix that poo poo in a heartbeat.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

HookShot posted:

This man speaks the truth. The two greatest shows in Canadian history.

Followed closely by Strange Brew

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

On a totally different comment section on their site:

"There is a very good article about the senator who makes a lot of good points about certain communities in Canada. "On their time and on their dime." Read it." ^78 v17

I do wonder what the comments would have been on that particular news item, though :allears:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I'm not sure if it's triumph or condemnation that all the comment sections of cbc articles that allow it are mostly made up of "why am I not allowed to say racist or otherwise horrible poo poo on other article?!?"

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hey guys i have this theory that canadians are garbage

please advise

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Reading this thread the only thing I've learned is that Canada is the Fourth Reich.... possibly even the FIFTH Reich?!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

Reading this thread the only thing I've learned is that Canada is the Fourth Reich.... possibly even the FIFTH Reich?!

Canadians aren't ambitious enough for that

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
sjws are teh brownshirts

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

namaste faggots posted:

Except the newsroom

Wait that was CanCon?

I'm the degenerate who likes Corner Gas and still watches reruns nonstop. I wish it was on Netflix because I'm not paying for Crave just to see one show. Also Letterkenny was better on YouTube.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The only good CanCon was, without a doubt, Porky's

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

I heard a rumor that it was killed for political reasons because it hit too close to home for some folks at the CBC, but I don't know how much I'm willing to believe that.

It had five seasons, so I'd say that's complete bullshit

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm the degenerate who likes Corner Gas and still watches reruns nonstop. I wish it was on Netflix because I'm not paying for Crave just to see one show. Also Letterkenny was better on YouTube.

Shove off ya hoser

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 14, 2017

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

But there's Letterkenny and Kids In The Hall, both of which were/are excellent? And how could anyone hate SCTV?

Picnicface was pretty good but only lasted one season. And it may sound trite but Mary Walsh's performance on 22 Minutes was always wonderful. Marg Delahunty and Marg, Princess Warrior were amazing (and gods bless her, she once aggressively and horribly kissed Stephen Harper). And the old mother in the That Show Sucks sketches remains the most accurate depiction of a middle-aged rural Newfoundland lady I have ever seen in my life.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Actually ReBoot is the single greatest piece of CanCon ever and also the best product of Vancouver's largely non-existent tech sector. Beast Wars/Beasties is a close second.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the beachcombers ruled (caveat: i probably last saw it when new episodes were still airing). the raccoons was also great

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Flashpoint is the most successful CanCon ever because it actually hit it big in the United States thanks to a writer's strike

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

vyelkin posted:

Flashpoint is the most successful CanCon ever because it actually hit it big in the United States thanks to a writer's strike

Is that why every other episode in the last season or two ended with someone getting blown away?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Either

or

you cultural illiterates

also

and

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 14, 2017

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Is that why every other episode in the last season or two ended with someone getting blown away?

Yeah audiences got bored with the slow conflict resolution of like negotiating down a dude with a knife that they did in the first couple seasons so they decided they had to ramp it up by having snipers target the officers' families and poo poo

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

eXXon posted:

Actually ReBoot is the single greatest piece of CanCon ever and also the best product of Vancouver's largely non-existent tech sector. Beast Wars/Beasties is a close second.

ReBoot was/is amazing. Fuckin' watchin' that poo poo on YTV with PJ Phil and Snit segments.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

A lot of Cancon sucks, and my pet theory is that it's because 99% of Cancon producers are milquetoast as gently caress, trying to be all special and clever without understanding how their art works.

I caught like, 10 minutes of some show interviewing Canadian filmmakers having their movies screened at TIFF, and every single person came across really bougie-as-gently caress person (which corresponds well to the people that I know that do those things while 30 years old).

PT6A posted:

NF is clearly upset with TPB because, as someone who is frequently drunk and often told to gently caress off by everyone else, he identifies with Lahey and hates how the character gets treated.

The perfect foil for this thread.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

eXXon posted:

The other best cartoon is Sailor Moon/Dragon Ball Z thanks to One Weird CanCon Trick The Canadian Government Doesn't Want You to Know About

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 9, 2022

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Shows where the dub was recorded in Canada qualify as Canadian Content

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 10, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Shows where the dub was recorded in Canada qualify as Canadian Content

Canadian networks should start dubbing American shows with over-the-top Canadian accents and poo poo. That'd be hilarious (probably more hilarious than the average actual-CanCon comedy, given the present state of things).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

mojo1701a posted:

A lot of Cancon sucks, and my pet theory is that it's because 99% of Cancon producers are milquetoast as gently caress, trying to be all special and clever without understanding how their art works.

That's just artists being artists and not specifically Canadian.

If you believe that David Cronenberg or Guy Maddin "don't understand how their art works", I'm not sure what to tell you.