Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Really, when you think about it, it was just property being damaged by symbolic fires when the Klan was burning crosses on folks' lawns. Hopefully you see how dumb that equivocation is now.

Yeah your equivocation is pretty dumb, I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/908057513588695040
:911: :sigh:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

A reasonable price to pay for freedom. :911:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Basically like burning a cross on a black person's lawn.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
What was the other school shooting? I didn't see any news about it.

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah your equivocation is pretty dumb, I agree.
"Destroying property in order to intimidate people is OK when I agree with the message."

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

I think this picture is more a condemnation of the media than anything else.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

understand, Dead Reckoning's understanding of justice is different from our own

for example, as far as he's concerned, this is a picture of a leeching little parasite who government needs to keep the gently caress out of his country, via wall if necessary.

but, you know, he's REAL concerned about government providing the greatest good to the greatest number.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Destroying property in order to intimidate people is OK when I agree with the message."

"Garbage cans on fire during an anti-captialist protest and threats to kill black people by racists who have done it and will again are basically the same"

I can do this all day you silly person.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

axeil posted:

I think this picture is more a condemnation of the media than anything else.

Yeah but also a ton of people buy into this and then you get dumb cracked articles about how the people defending folks against Nazi's are bad and vote midterms everybody.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Grapplejack posted:

Left wing violence is usually thought of in similar ways to what the Soviet Union did when they were gaining power or funding rebel groups. Right wing groups and leaders tended to be US funded and supported, and you've got 60 years of this quiet association peppered into the social unconscious that affects people's views.

I mean, prior to the Russian Revolution, you still had, for example, violent strikebreakers being OK, but unions not, and heaven forbid a union man try to defend himself. Leftist organizing is always seen as scarier than the opposite, despite the nation being founded by revolution against colonialism and monarchy. Something in the culture is inherently distrustful of left-wing influence even when right-wing groups do far more damage to both lives and property, and while the Red Scare probably made this worse I don't think it started with that.

This is something that will take a long time to fix - and needs to be, for the long-term health of the country.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Fraction Jackson posted:

I mean, prior to the Russian Revolution, you still had, for example, violent strikebreakers being OK, but unions not, and heaven forbid a union man try to defend himself. Leftist organizing is always seen as scarier than the opposite, despite the nation being founded by revolution against colonialism and monarchy. Something in the culture is inherently distrustful of left-wing influence even when right-wing groups do far more damage to both lives and property, and while the Red Scare probably made this worse I don't think it started with that.

This is something that will take a long time to fix - and needs to be, for the long-term health of the country.

Yeah this is a country that is OK with peaceful groups of minorities being attacked with tanks and tear gas, and a large percentage of the population will call the victims "violent".

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

That's why we need to wait 14 days after any mass shooting before discussing the American Gun Culture is allowed.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.4902b1d102bf

WaPo posted:

Trump, top Democrats agree to work on deal to save DACA

President Trump and top Democratic leaders late Wednesday agreed to work out an agreement that would protect the nation’s “dreamers” from deportation and enact border security measures that don’t include building a physical wall, according to people familiar with the meeting.

The president discussed the deal during a dinner at the White House with Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.). The meal included Chinese food and chocolate pie.

In a statement, the White House described the meeting as “constructive” and that it focused on “tax reform, border security, DACA, infrastructure and trade.”

“The Administration looks forward to continuing these conversations with leadership on both sides of the aisle,” the statement added.

But aides familiar with the exchange said that Trump and the party leaders agreed to move quickly on legislation to protect the roughly 690,000 people protected under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, program that is set to expire in June.

In a statement, Schumer and Pelosi said they had “a very productive meeting at the White House with the President. The discussion focused on DACA. We agreed to enshrine the protections of DACA into law quickly, and to work out a package of border security, excluding the wall, that’s acceptable to both sides.”

They said the dinner also focused on ensuring that the administration works to shore up the Affordable Care Act in the coming weeks.

Earlier Wednesday, Trump had told a bipartisan group of House lawmakers during a White House meeting that he wants to resolve the DACA issue “real soon,” according to Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Tex.), who attended.

Cuellar said that he told Trump the Dream Act has sufficient bipartisan support to pass and that the White House should be pushing for a vote.

Trump, Cuellar said, told the group: “Oh, it will be on the floor.”

Even if the president and Democratic leaders claim to cut a deal, it will need the support of GOP leaders, who are already wary of the spending agreement Trump brokered with them last week.

Pelosi and House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (D-Wis.) met earlier Wednesday to begin discussing the broad parameters of the forthcoming immigration debate. Ryan’s team signaled that despite the administration’s eagerness to quickly seal the deal, it will take awhile.

AshLee Strong, Ryan’s spokeswoman, said that regarding the plight of the dreamers, the speaker “reiterated that any solution needs to address border security and enforcement, which are the root causes of the problem. Discussions among the Republican conference will continue in the coming weeks.”

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah this is a country that is OK with peaceful groups of minorities being attacked with tanks and tear gas, and a large percentage of the population will call the victims "violent".

Or bombing an apartment building where minorities live, with the same response.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

weird, I haven't heard of any of them and the gun enthusiasts assured me that they only happen because THE MEDIA

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
gonna be reeeeal interesting to see what comes out of that

on the one hand trump is definitely stupid enough to have agreed to "we'll increase border patrol funding to [current funding plus ten dollars]," on the other hand Pelosi and Schumer are definitely craven enough to say "look ICE is now only subject to admiralty law as long as we can keep these kids in limbo ad infinitum"

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Trabisnikof posted:

That's why we need to wait 14 days after any mass shooting before discussing the American Gun Culture is allowed.
Avoiding such a discussion, in the national sense, makes me so frustrated. I really hope passing real and effective gun control legislation becomes another priority after healthcare.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

"Garbage cans on fire during an anti-captialist protest and threats to kill black people by racists who have done it and will again are basically the same"

I can do this all day you silly person.
:rolleyes: Yes, because trash cans are the only thing anti-captialist protesters have ever damaged. If you want to argue that it's wrong to throw a brick through the front window of a store because it's owned by black people but cool and good to throw a brick through the window of a store because it's owned by a large corporation whose policies you disagree with, that's fine, but I'm not seeing a justification other than "it's OK when I agree with the message" or "it's OK to victimize people who can afford to pay for the damage."

Extralegal violence to make people change their behavior not ever being OK is a position I'm happy to take.

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol at the idea that talking about guns ever constitutes a "discussion" these days.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Dead Reckoning posted:

:rolleyes: Yes, because trash cans are the only thing anti-captialist protesters have ever damaged. If you want to argue that it's wrong to throw a brick through the front window of a store because it's owned by black people but cool and good to throw a brick through the window of a store because it's owned by a large corporation whose policies you disagree with, that's fine, but I'm not seeing a justification other than "it's OK when I agree with the message" or "it's OK to victimize people who can afford to pay for the damage.""

"I'm going to kill you and this is a credible threat" vs "gently caress capitalism, I guess"

Basically the same thing.

Also noticing you you've moved from "antifascists literally defending clergy with their bodies" to "burning trashcans are essentially the same as the KKK"

This is who Wong's article is written for. People who legitimately think defending against fascists is like KKK burning crosses. The dead end of "both sides bad" moronic thought.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Don't try to politicize it by talking about guns, gun culture, NRA extremism, mental health, social assistance, welfare, spousal abuse or anything really... violent crime happens in a vacuum. There are people, guns and bullets, and sometimes the universe, via quantum jesus mechanics, rearranges them in such a way that a bunch of kids die.

:(

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Scent of Worf posted:

Oh, my bad. It's just that there are a whole lot of supposedly leftist goons running around who concern troll leftism nonstop :thunk:

Every single post of yours is making GBS threads on "leftists" and liberals and this thread what is a leftist to you exactly and why are they the devil.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Don't try to politicize it by talking about guns, gun culture, NRA extremism, mental health, social assistance, welfare, spousal abuse or anything really... violent crime happens in a vacuum. There are people, guns and bullets, and sometimes the universe, via quantum jesus mechanics, rearranges them in such a way that a bunch of kids die.

:(

also the media is to cowardly to blame the real threat: radical. islamic. terrorism.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
violence for any purpose is of course fine if you declare it legal first

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Also noticing you you've moved from "antifascists literally defending clergy with their bodies"
¿Que?

Jaxyon posted:

This is who Wong's article is written for. People who legitimately think defending against fascists is like KKK burning crosses. The dead end of "both sides bad" moronic thought.
Stripped to its core, your whole argument is that violence is excusable as long as the right ideology is motivating it. Busting up a Chick-fil-A isn't defending yourself against fascists.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Dead Reckoning posted:

¿Que?

Stripped to its core, your whole argument is that violence is excusable as long as the right ideology is motivating it. Busting up a Chick-fil-A isn't defending yourself against fascists.

War, huh, what is it good for?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

¿Que?

If being hypocritical produced energy your complaining about people excusing violence would be a nuclear loving bomb

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

What’s Dead Reckoning's gimmick?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

tentative8e8op posted:

Avoiding such a discussion, in the national sense, makes me so frustrated. I really hope passing real and effective gun control legislation becomes another priority after healthcare.
What would that even look like to you? Because nothing being put forward by Democratic leadership is going to reduce the homicide rate. For example, the enactment and subsequent sunset of the 1994 assault weapons ban had no measurable impact on the national homicide rate.

Gun control is a failed policy, because there are a hundred things more strongly correlated with the homicide rate than legal access to guns, but no one on the left is willing to abandon it because they're emotionally invested, and also because they really hate the most prominent pro gun control advocates. (Not without some justification, TBH.)

Lemming posted:

If being hypocritical produced energy your complaining about people excusing violence would be a nuclear loving bomb
Sounds violent.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 14, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

tentative8e8op posted:

fighting poverty would help our society to stop producing hopeless aggressive young males and reduce mass shootings a lot more than any gun control policy that could ever pass on a federal level

america's mass shooting problem is tied to our society not guns themselves

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

shrike82 posted:

What’s Dead Reckoning's gimmick?

Every police beating and shooting is not only justified, but also extremely good and cool.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

tentative8e8op posted:

Having universal healthcare would do more to stop gun violence than getting any of these loving morons to try and craft a gun law.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Jazerus posted:

fighting poverty would help our society to stop producing hopeless aggressive young males and reduce mass shootings a lot more than any gun control policy that could ever pass on a federal level

america's mass shooting problem is tied to our society not guns themselves

Yeah. I've pretty much given up on the idea that any politician is going to be able to go up against the gun lobby/culture and win. It would also require a radically different culture, like Australia, where many citizens gladly gave up their guns.

Basically the only way to reduce gun violence in America is to increase education, mental health care and reduce poverty. I find those much more feasible than any kind of meaningful gun legislation at this point. Maybe in a 100 years we will stop fellating our guns long enough to enact something worthwhile.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

What would that even look like to you? Because nothing being put forward by Democratic leadership is going to reduce the homicide rate. For example, the enactment and subsequent sunset of the 1994 assault weapons ban had no measurable impact on the national homicide rate.

Hey you know what would be cool? If we had an organization like the loving CDC investigate ways of at least improving gun safety. The CDC is forbidden from doing so, so we really have no idea if any legislation that we enact will work or not.

Also, given the high correlation between say spousal abuse and gun homicide, I would say that revoking the rights of spousal abusers from owning guns might be a good start.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Racism is a boring thing that white people love? :p

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Racism is a boring thing that white people love? :p

no, after the picture was taken, the Red Sox stole the sign

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Dead Reckoning posted:

¿Que?

Stripped to its core, you're equating a burning garbage can with a campaign of terror and murder against black people.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Yeah. I've pretty much given up on the idea that any politician is going to be able to go up against the gun lobby/culture and win. It would also require a radically different culture, like Australia, where many citizens gladly gave up their guns.

Basically the only way to reduce gun violence in America is to increase education, mental health care and reduce poverty. I find those much more feasible than any kind of meaningful gun legislation at this point. Maybe in a 100 years we will stop fellating our guns long enough to enact something worthwhile.

I still think the most likely scenario for "gun control" is the right running roughshod over the rest of the bill of rights and eventually their idiot followers will willingly turn them over.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Good article about the aftermath of Charlotesville, and the impact on the alt right.

https://itsgoingdown.org/big-trouble-in-little-nazi-town/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Dead Reckoning posted:

Are you the same person who was really concerned about military spending being decreased a few pages ago?

edit:

Dead Reckoning posted:

This poo poo right here is why I can't take a lot of the more militant UHC advocates seriously. "Beep boop, just take. all the F-35 money and use it to buy healthcare. So simple." The F-35 program is our only option to recapitalize our fighter fleet at this point, as well as that of several major allies, and canceling it would cause grave damage to our national security. You need to make that hard isolationist sell that we should withdraw from our foreign military commitments and leave Europe and Asia to the wolves. Add to that, canceling the program would result in paying incredibly expensive penalties, because Lockheed wasn't stupid enough to massively stake their company on a program that large without a hedge against shifting political winds. (I'm sure someone is warming up a "hold the MIC leeches over a barrel if they want future contracts" response, to which I would respond that the US government deciding not to pay its debts when it's inconvenient is one of the crises we are trying to avoid at the moment.)

I'm amazed at the stones it takes to describe taxes that need to raise a trillion or so dollars as "modest."

Jizz Festival fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 14, 2017

• Locked thread