Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'm traveling for work and had downtime this evening. So I swung by a local shop to see what was happening. Turns out it's casual edh night! Fine, whatever, there's not much else to do in this town that I can see so I pick up the 2017 wizards deck and sleeve it up.

There's about 4 games of 4-player EDH playing and no one is willing to give up a seat in between games, so I spend an hour dicking around on my phone. Finally someone comes in, I strike up a conversation, and we decide to play 1v1. I warn him I'm playing the stock 2017 so if he's got multiple decks he may want to keep that in mind. He says great, he's got a stock 2017 cat edh deck as well.

Who knew that the stock deck has a full set of swords, mana vault, Mana crypt, and other fun stuff? Anyway, the game drags on (lol edh) with me stuck on 4 lands but staying alive. I use a Felwar Stone to get me to 5 Mana and play Taigam in a lull, which buys me a few more turns. 9 cards later I hit another land, but I've exhausted my discard and can't keep up with him dropping threat after threat.

Throughout all of this I have to explain how the stack works. How equipping works. That there is a second main phase. That you have to declare effects when using them. He's getting visibly upset when I remove his creatures in response to equipping or attacking or pumping.

As I said, the game finally mercifully ends right when two more people show up, so I offer to let them play. And my last opponent immediately flips his deck up to Mana weave the whole thing. I sit and watch him weave his whole deck, set it by him, and go to draw 7 cards.

So I call him out on it. Politely, because I'm from out of town. I simply say hey let me shuffle your deck. I hadn't shuffled his deck before because lol edh casual whatever. He turns to the two new players and ask them if they want to shuffle his deck. They both shrug as they prep, so he turns back to me and says they declined so he doesn't need to.

Again, I politely say that stacking your deck is against the rules, and you have to allow your opponents to shuffle.

Cue loving screaming. Full on wailing and cursing that I dared call him a cheater. That I lied to him about the rules throughout our last game. That it wasn't fair because blue is overpowered.

One of the store employees comes over to try to calm him down, and after a minute he asks me what happened. I explain, he tells me he isn't the magic guy so he doesn't know the rules so he isn't going to do anything. Which hey, is fine. This guy's a regular, I'm never coming back to the store, I get it.

I apologize to the two newcomers for the scene, and pack up the deck and head out.

The whole thing took 3 loving hours.

gently caress EDH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Tainen posted:

Last mythic

could someone explain to a noob why this is bad?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Omar al-Bishie posted:

could someone explain to a noob why this is bad?

Because it's an EDH card and EDH is bad. See the post above.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
it's six mana for a card that does nothing the turn it comes down and doesn't win you the game on its own

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
If I opened that in my limited pool with the vampire that lets you drain 4 life to make it indestructible I would probably play it

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

it's good to know that expensive cards should have an immediate impact, this is something I never really considered

e: as in, I never thought of waiting a round for it to impact as as huge a downside as it seems to apparently be

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

PJOmega posted:

gently caress EDH.
To contrast, I had a great night tonight playing EDH.

Seriously, you guys take hating the game and not the player to a whole new level.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

it's good to know that expensive cards should have an immediate impact, this is something I never really considered

e: as in, I never thought of waiting a round for it to impact as as huge a downside as it seems to apparently be

Think of it this way: it doesn't do anything for you unless you're behind, and even then only a turn after you play it. So if you're behind enough on life that your opponent might actually just kill you before its effect happens, it's like you just tapped all your lands and passed the turn. This is compounded if your opponent then uses their mana to affect the board that turn either through playing creatures or getting rid of yours.

It also does nothing if you're ahead on life. The only scenario it works well in is low life and/or no life strategies, or in EDH because politics.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Veyrall posted:

Seriously, you guys take hating the game and not the player to a whole new level.
Nah dude when you sit down with a casual cheater who lies brazenly to your face, it's entirely the fault of EDH!!!

I mean EDH does encourage some bad behaviors and has balancing issues that you're supposed to house rule but if a guy sat down across from you for standard at fnm claiming he was just a casual, required constantly rules explanation and then mana weaved you wouldn't be blaming standard.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Omar al-Bishie posted:

It's a good lesson to learn. A 7 cost card isn't coming down until turn 10+ normally. If it does nothing and your opponent can use a 2-3 Mana card to get rid of it that's a huge problem.

What makes the life swapping enchantment even worse in 1v1 is for it to be advantageous you have to be in a bad spot. Let's look at it as if you were only at 15 life to an opponent's 20. The enchantment could say "at the beginning of your next upkeep you gain 5 life and your opponent loses 5 life." Thats not really worth a card (since it won't repeat and can't be used turn after turn AND it broadcasts itself for a full turn).
For it to earn it's keep you really want to be at ~5 life to your opponent's 20. And that's a precarious position to be in to be tapping out and basically giving your opponent an extra turn.

In EDH it's a bit better because you can use it as politics and everyone sits around jerking themselves off and there are multiple players you can target and 40 life gives a greater range of swaps.

A deck that wants to play this is going to be very specialized.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Nah dude when you sit down with a casual cheater who lies brazenly to your face, it's entirely the fault of EDH!!!

I mean EDH does encourage some bad behaviors and has balancing issues that you're supposed to house rule but if a guy sat down across from you for standard at fnm claiming he was just a casual, required constantly rules explanation and then mana weaved you wouldn't be blaming standard.

If this was an isolated player, sure. But it's not. EDH attracts what was once the stereotypical magic nerd. The difference in players between the worst FNM I've attended and the average players at an EDH night is night and day.

Add on a garbage fire of a format and the repeated attempts at jamming a square peg (multiplayer) into a round hole (magic) and it's tiresome. I was even a bit excited for it since I was reminded Zada was a thing but then I'm reminded that as much as random magic players may not be fun random EDH players make me want to practice lobotomy.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

TheMaestroso posted:

helpful words

PJOmega posted:

more helpful words

makes sense! thanks for taking time to answer my question(s). I'm super new to this game and it's super exciting but also a bit overwhelming

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Omar al-Bishie posted:

makes sense! thanks for taking time to answer my question(s). I'm super new to this game and it's super exciting but also a bit overwhelming

We're all learning, so it's never bad to ask questions. I've learned more from helping other people out than I ever did stumbling blindly. Which is true for Magic and life I suppose.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

PJOmega posted:

I'm traveling for work and had downtime this evening. So I swung by a local shop to see what was happening. Turns out it's casual edh night! Fine, whatever, there's not much else to do in this town that I can see so I pick up the 2017 wizards deck and sleeve it up.

There's about 4 games of 4-player EDH playing and no one is willing to give up a seat in between games, so I spend an hour dicking around on my phone. Finally someone comes in, I strike up a conversation, and we decide to play 1v1. I warn him I'm playing the stock 2017 so if he's got multiple decks he may want to keep that in mind. He says great, he's got a stock 2017 cat edh deck as well.

Who knew that the stock deck has a full set of swords, mana vault, Mana crypt, and other fun stuff? Anyway, the game drags on (lol edh) with me stuck on 4 lands but staying alive. I use a Felwar Stone to get me to 5 Mana and play Taigam in a lull, which buys me a few more turns. 9 cards later I hit another land, but I've exhausted my discard and can't keep up with him dropping threat after threat.

Throughout all of this I have to explain how the stack works. How equipping works. That there is a second main phase. That you have to declare effects when using them. He's getting visibly upset when I remove his creatures in response to equipping or attacking or pumping.

As I said, the game finally mercifully ends right when two more people show up, so I offer to let them play. And my last opponent immediately flips his deck up to Mana weave the whole thing. I sit and watch him weave his whole deck, set it by him, and go to draw 7 cards.

So I call him out on it. Politely, because I'm from out of town. I simply say hey let me shuffle your deck. I hadn't shuffled his deck before because lol edh casual whatever. He turns to the two new players and ask them if they want to shuffle his deck. They both shrug as they prep, so he turns back to me and says they declined so he doesn't need to.

Again, I politely say that stacking your deck is against the rules, and you have to allow your opponents to shuffle.

Cue loving screaming. Full on wailing and cursing that I dared call him a cheater. That I lied to him about the rules throughout our last game. That it wasn't fair because blue is overpowered.

One of the store employees comes over to try to calm him down, and after a minute he asks me what happened. I explain, he tells me he isn't the magic guy so he doesn't know the rules so he isn't going to do anything. Which hey, is fine. This guy's a regular, I'm never coming back to the store, I get it.

I apologize to the two newcomers for the scene, and pack up the deck and head out.

gently caress EDH.

and here I thought I had it bad when a regular decided to wave his goldplated dick by playing pileofcombos.dec against a bunch of newbies just starting out in edh with a bunch of bad midrange decks and precons and loudly reminiscing about the Regan presidency the whole time.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Tainen posted:

Last mythic

Hilariously combos with Triskadekaphobia.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Here is an example from Japan Nationals last weekend where playing the big splashy mythic you think should win you the game doesn't always work out
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/173787885?t=02h06m08s

Shota loses after playing Overwhelming Splendor

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I made my casual multiplayer life drain deck significantly worse to play Triskaidekaphobia and it's totally worth it even if I die to it a good 1/3 of the time. Last game going into my upkeep three of us including me were at 13. One had nothing, one burned himself to safety, I got my Tendrils of Corruption countered and died.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

LordAbaddon posted:

...pileofcombos.dec against a bunch of newbies just starting out in edh with a bunch of bad midrange decks and precons and loudly reminiscing about the Regan presidency the whole time.
:stare:
Surely the Reagan thing is an embellishment?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

edh is best enjoyed with a group of friends not strangers

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tubgoat posted:

Having been around BigMoneyBling magic players, I doubt it.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

A 3 mana 4/3 that only gets bigger seems pretty good.

Oh wait, it's till end of turn. Womp womp

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tubgoat posted:

only slightly, it wasn't the WHOLE time but he did describe a deck he made that he called "Reganomics" and then when everyone looked at him funny he started describing Regan as the "Teflon president" as if he was describing his favorite WWE star

edit: I had to move in with family due to financial reasons so i'm stuck with the local cardshop people, I had a fantastic group back in STL but they're a full timezone away from me right now.

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 14, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

LordAbaddon posted:

only slightly, it wasn't the WHOLE time but he did describe a deck he made that he called "Reganomics" and then when everyone looked at him funny he started describing Regan as the "Teflon president" as if he was describing his favorite WWE star

I literally only minutes ago turned off an AM talk show that was referring to President Trump as "Teflon Don" and was shaking my head at it. Coincidences are weird.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Entropic posted:

A 3 mana 4/3 that only gets bigger seems pretty good.

Oh wait, it's till end of turn. Womp womp
I thought it was counters on first pass too, then came back and realized Scavenging Ooze this ain't.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm traveling for work and had downtime this evening. So I swung by a local shop to see what was happening. Turns out it's casual standard night! Fine, whatever, there's not much else to do in this town that I can see so I pick up the 2017 nicol bolas deck and sleeve it up.

There's about 4 games of standard playing and no one is willing to give up a seat in between games, so I spend an hour dicking around on my phone. Finally someone comes in, I strike up a conversation, and we decide to play. I warn him I'm playing the stock 2017 so if he's got multiple decks he may want to keep that in mind. He says great, he's got a stock 2017 gideon deck as well.

Who knew that the stock deck has a full set heart of kiran, avacyn, fatal push, and other fun stuff? Anyway, the game drags on (lol standard) with me stuck on 6 lands but staying alive. I use a couple visage of bolas to get me to 8 Mana and play bolas in a lull, which buys me a few more turns. 9 cards later I hit another land, but I've exhausted my removal and can't keep up with him dropping threat after threat.

Throughout all of this I have to explain how the stack works. How crewing works. That there is a second main phase. That you have to declare effects when using them. He's getting visibly upset when I remove his creatures in response to crewing or attacking or pumping.

So I call him out on it. Politely, because I'm from out of town. I simply say hey let him shuffle your deck. I hadn't shuffled his deck before because lol standard casual whatever. He turns to the new player and asks him if he wants to shuffle his deck. He shrugs as he preps, so he turns back to me and says his opponent declined so he doesn't need to.

gently caress standard.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lurk moar, post less.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tainen posted:

Last mythic

I wonder if this was Archangel's Light?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

I wonder if this was Archangel's Light?

Would fit the theme. Good observation.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Lurk moar, post less.
It's rare that people are so quick to recognize their own flaws so gotta give you some credit. Alttjough you could've just quietly followed that advice instead of announcing it to everyone.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I'm looking forward for someone to brew a Marionette Master/Death by treasure deck because I have the pieces in my shopping cart on magiccardmarket and so want this deck to work.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Anyone tried the bomat affinity deck that's been showing up lately? In theory it seems like a solid upgrade but affinity is such a tight deck that I'm a bit doubtful of the impact of the change. Seems almost more of a sideboard strategy against heavy artifact destruction.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

PJOmega posted:

gently caress EDH.

lol

Veyrall posted:

EDH is bad, the sooner you accept that the better off you'll be

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

quote:

Double Volley
Sorcery
~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
Raid 3RR: Return ~ from your graveyard to your hand. Activate this ability only if you attacked with a creature this turn

quote:

Fleet Swallower 5UU
Creature - Fish
Rare
Whenever ~ attacks, target player puts the top half of his or her library into his or her graveyard, rounded up.
6/6
"Captain, I think that island is following us."

Tainen fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 14, 2017

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

EDH is the only constructed MtG format worth playing. Draft or die bitches.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Hammer of Bogardan, sort of.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's closer to Thunderblade Charge than hammer. And by that, probably worse than both, which isn't too thrilling.

But I guess we are at the rear end end of the spoiler.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

EDH rules

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Spiderdrake posted:

It's closer to Thunderblade Charge than hammer. And by that, probably worse than both, which isn't too thrilling.

But I guess we are at the rear end end of the spoiler.

It's probably better than Thunderblade Charge. It's easier to recur (RR instead of RRR), doesn't require you doing combat damage to a player, and even if you don't cast it free, going into your hand is arguably just as good because you get more flexibility of use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I love EDH. Sometimes I have a bad time, but I've had way more bad times playing standard than EDH.