Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sapozhnik posted:

the lack of async/await in java is really bad, god drat. i hope this gets added to java 10 and java 10 comes out some time this decade.

trying to do things with netty is like the io equivalent of assembly language programming.

continuous delivery bithc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

maybe he was working a year on adaptive theme for windows random colour thing

yeah idk i liked sublime but now sorry mates you are going to pry visual studio code out of my cold, dead hands irrespective of the platform

i miss visual studio so bad now that im in java town

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

that's the other visual studio, but it's cool for r too

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Sapozhnik posted:

the lack of async/await in java is really bad, god drat. i hope this gets added to java 10 and java 10 comes out some time this decade.

trying to do things with netty is like the io equivalent of assembly language programming.

Have you looked into Vert.x?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

moostaffa posted:

Vert.x just makes the problem worse: if you do anything blocking it blocks (one of) your request handler thread(s), just like node.js, except you don't have the facilities that js does for doing async poo poo (like async/await)

at least you can hand your poo poo off to a threadpool or whatever, but that only helps so much

vert.x is literally node.js but java

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/EylerWerve/status/907701103281807362

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

moostaffa posted:

no, but i mean it's a library (and one with a very questionable design at that; a magic pixie dust distributed event bus, seriously? that's the sort of thing whose design and operational management you're going to want to be very explicit about, like say by not building a product that is a gigantic pub-sub hairball in the first place). there's only so much you can do with a library.

you need some sort of way to do co-operative multitasking in order for async io to not be very painful. so you'll need coroutines, or closures at the absolute minimum, and java doesn't have either. alright, kinda sorta there's a quasi-closure facility: you can define a lambda that references variables in an enclosing scope, but there's a sleight of hand in that you can't actually modify them from within the lambda. so creating a "closure" doesn't tear off the stack frame and keep it alive on the heap, it's just syntactic sugar for bundling extra parameters into the lambda implicitly.

checked exceptions also cause problems for @FunctionalInterface type things too.

when i said that netty programming was like assembly language programming for io, what i meant was that you're effectively forced to manually define and manage the lifecycle of a bunch of parallel call stacks, just like you manage the main call stack when writing assembly code. a language with a coroutine facility would let you naturally create alternative stacks and switch between them at will.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Zemyla posted:

What was it supposed to be about?

it was devseccon

could have been about applying devops principals to infosec work a la any of jason chan's talks but instead it was a big ad for cyberark and veracode and it loving sucked

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cis autodrag posted:

are you stuck with eclipse* like i am or are you at least able to pick your poison on that front?

*loaded down with plugins absolutely essential to getting the product to build

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
awk: fatal: grow_iop_buffer: iop->buf: can't allocate 17179869186 bytes of memory (Cannot allocate memory)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

carry on then posted:

are you stuck with eclipse* like i am or are you at least able to pick your poison on that front?

*loaded down with plugins absolutely essential to getting the product to build

I'm not stuck with it, but i am using it because i don't really feel like paying for intellij and im already nested.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

wtf is async/await ? What problem does it solve?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
it's basically syntactic sugar for chaining callbacks

e: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/hh456401.aspx

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

lisp eye for the algol guy

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Janitor Prime posted:

wtf is async/await ? What problem does it solve?

It lets us asynchronously continue reading the thread while we await you making a good post!!!

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

JewKiller 3000 posted:

awk: fatal: grow_iop_buffer: iop->buf: can't allocate 17179869186 bytes of memory (Cannot allocate memory)

gave the vm 2x the memory and now it doesn't error out, but it also runs for 2+ hours without finishing :sigh: guess i have to write a real program now

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

JewKiller 3000 posted:

gave the vm 2x the memory and now it doesn't error out, but it also runs for 2+ hours without finishing :sigh: guess i have to write a real program now
The revenge continues

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

CPColin posted:

It lets us asynchronously continue reading the thread while we await you making a good post!!!

i laughed

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/907645555798618113

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
"This rules out almost all programs."

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Off-topic, congrats on coming out! Unless I'm interpreting something wrong (which I could be).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

our loving json is so bad i installed python today to parse it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

workaround: don't use jump instructions. this means virtually all code will not run correctly from external memory

someone looked at this poo poo and said "who cares, ship it." :psyduck:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

our loving json is so bad i installed python today to parse it

as opposed to what, eyeballing it?

also jq is kinda handy

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

pokeyman posted:

also jq is kinda handy

huehueheu more like jelq is a kinda handy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pokeyman posted:

as opposed to what, eyeballing it?

also jq is kinda handy

as opposed to parsing tens of thousands of up to 50 mb large ndjson records, where small details of structure can vary between single digit number of records, in r

the parser i mentioned earlier did work, but of course the end user instantly barked "but you gave me what i requested, not this"

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

lancemantis posted:

seriously like most conferences that arent part of something academic or organizational are all just sales events

Conferences are actually a way to get your company to pay for your vacation

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

LinYutang posted:

Conferences are actually a way to get your company to pay for your vacation

this guy knows what's up

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Sapozhnik posted:

Look at the netty extensions for reactor: https://github.com/reactor/reactor-netty

reactor is p. good, too

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

I'm not stuck with it, but i am using it because i don't really feel like paying for intellij and im already nested.

As a developer who used to use eclipse cdt every day, let me tell ya, clion and intellij is cool and good and worth every penny.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i pronounce clion klion

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://blog.atom.io/2017/09/12/announcing-atom-ide.html :stonklol:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

oh hey, a slower java ide than eclipse

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Zemyla posted:

Off-topic, congrats on coming out! Unless I'm interpreting something wrong (which I could be).

Are delay slots gay or am I missing something?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Look at the netty extensions for reactor: https://github.com/reactor/reactor-netty

reactor is p. good, too

a+ documentation there

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Has anyone tried that jetblains .NET ide, yet?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

akadajet posted:

Are delay slots gay or am I missing something?

I think he saw the word "lady" in the Twitter handle and made an assumption, which is p lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sweevo posted:

workaround: don't use jump instructions. this means virtually all code will not run correctly from external memory

someone looked at this poo poo and said "who cares, ship it." :psyduck:

Atari “it’s 1994 and we literally have no money” Corporation

the GPU and DSP each have internal 32-bit SRAM that you can copy programs to. that’s not affected by this. the external memory bus is 16-bit and a lot slower anyway.

a few years ago someone figured out that you can reliably do jumps in external memory as long as the alignment for everything is just right but the speed penalty makes it no good

[quote="“cis autodrag”" post="“476402291”"]
I think he saw the word “lady” in the Twitter handle and made an assumption, which is p lol
[/quote]

nope I’m on my way to being a girl 🌈

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Luigi Thirty posted:

welcome to the coven then! and you're already a girl, you're just getting your body with the program.

as always im available via pms if you ever want to talk about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Luigi Thirty posted:

:toot:

• Locked thread