Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

yo guys did bungie change the Nessus skybox after the raid came out?

I think the World Eater is doing its titular job, check out the vex architecture getting hoovered up in strands in the lower left quadrant of the picture:

It definitely looks like it's about to Anglerfish Nessus right up into its giant mouf when you're in space, too:

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Do consumables like maps / fireteam tokens only count down on the timer while you're playing?

As far as I can tell they count in real time, even if you aren't logged in.

Thankfully they're cheap enough to be worth it even if you aren't going to play for the full 4 hours.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Waffle House posted:

yo guys did bungie change the Nessus skybox after the raid came out?

I think the World Eater is doing its titular job, check out the vex architecture getting hoovered up in strands in the lower left quadrant of the picture:

It definitely looks like it's about to Anglerfish Nessus right up into its giant mouf when you're in space, too:

This is loving dope

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Dear RNGesus,

Thank you very much for the exotic engrams, but please stop bringing me The Prospector. I really think 4 is enough and I would like to try one of the other neat exotics in the game.

Thanks again.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Man I really got trigger happy with my mods and upgraded weapons and gear I have no intention on using. Don't be like me.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
GOOD JOB DRUNK TEAM, WE ACCOMPLISHED A LOT TONIGHT

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
How are people doing the 200-260+ slog so fast? Grinding events back and forth on Titan is so slow and everyone says it's the fastest way.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

How are you drunk off 6 pbrs

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Is there an out of game discord/slack/whatever to organize nightfalls and raids for Bone Krew people? It's pretty impossible to tell who's doing stuff ingame even with the clan roster working.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 14, 2017

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
I've really come around on the consumable shaders thing - it's nice to be able to apply the best shader to each item individually to suit - one of the less-good part of the D1 shader system was not having that fine-grain control over what items go what colour (hence why Dead Orbit had four black/white shaders, and three of them were poo poo).

Given that of the three stats that set different armour sets apart (light, mods and stat split) we also have control over the first two and some control over the third, there's a lot more cosmetic flexibility in which gear you use, and finding a nice looking piece of armour isn't spoiled by it having a poo poo roll like it was in D1.

The only change they need to make is that applied shaders are either stored indefinitely on the item they've been applied to or are recoverable from items for a fee.

Serak fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 14, 2017

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
Oh gently caress me. 11 hours. 5 or so on the final boss.

Got him to 10% hp in the final dps phase, but wiped on the dps check.

drat. Got the raid pulse and bunch of tokens though. I need sleep. So disappointed!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

How are people doing the 200-260+ slog so fast? Grinding events back and forth on Titan is so slow and everyone says it's the fastest way.

200-250 was pretty quick just doing quests and public events and stuff, whatever I felt like. 250-260+ has been a slow loving grind though.

CheeseFactory posted:

jfc

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

How! posted:

Good question. The answer is I'm only buzzed and moving on to harder alcohol

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

AndrewP posted:

200-250 was pretty quick just doing quests and public events and stuff, whatever I felt like. 250-260+ has been a slow loving grind though.

Then you get past 260 and realize the biggest grind is needing to have friends on the same console as you.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Jesus, the world first clear was 6 hours and I've seen multiple people pushing 8-10 hours without finishing. Hopefully that time can get cut way down once everyone has an idea of what to do, because otherwise lol gently caress that.

Also I never played 1 so I'm kinda confused - there's a checkpoint system in the raids so you can make progress, go do other stuff, and come back to the raid later to do more of it? Do you have to have the same people with you, or else what is to stop someone from joining at the very end?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I feel like a lot of the raids were like that to start though. I remember being stuck on Oryx for like 3 or 4 hours straight with a goon group before. Sometimes people just can't execute for poo poo. I'm real concerned about the gardens encounter though, I have no loving clue how that will get any easier unless there's tricks that we don't know about yet.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
The pleasure gardens aren't

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

DrNutt posted:

I feel like a lot of the raids were like that to start though. I remember being stuck on Oryx for like 3 or 4 hours straight with a goon group before. Sometimes people just can't execute for poo poo. I'm real concerned about the gardens encounter though, I have no loving clue how that will get any easier unless there's tricks that we don't know about yet.

One thing my group has done is come up with specific callouts for each of the flowers, so that the ground people always know which direction they're going. I think the other big thing will be once people start learning the dog's paths, so you'll know what's safe and when. That'll help maximize spores for damage.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

mango sentinel posted:

Even though all the guides say to wait on using reputation turn-ins until 260 or whatever, I didn't do that when I played through blind and it seems a lot faster even if it's technically not optimal or whatever. They are pretty significant stat boosts early on, and then from 265 up the engram base values are basically increasing by 1 light per turn-in, though that doesn't count the chance for it to roll with mods.

I think I started turning them in around 240 or so and there are a few spots where it feels a little slow, but I'm at 285 now and I never felt like it was a horrible grind doing it the "wrong" way.

I didn't really event grind at all, either. Honestly most of the public events I came across had nobody else participating, and half the time if they were, they hosed up the heroic trigger. Most of the heroic events don't seem soloable anyway.

My strategy was:

Buy Cayde recon maps.

Drive around on your sparrow hunting for chests. Open any region chests that are along the way. Also look for resources - they aren't worth a lot of rep but they add up, and if you're lucky you'll get a ghost shell that highlights them for each planet.

Do any scavenge patrols or combat patrols that you pass along the way. These two are fast since they are basically just "kill 10 enemies." The other ones make you drive all over and stand around surveying and they waste a lot of time if you're just farming.

Tag in on any public events you pass if they are close to being done. Don't sit around waiting for them, but if they're active and look doable, go for it.

Keep an eye out for high value targets as you go.

Titan is good for the heroic walker event that happens all the time, since most people have figured it out, and there's decent high-value target density, but the loot chests tend to be in weird places and it's kind of a pain in the dick to get to them. EDZ lets you basically just drive your sparrow in a big loop, I think it might be the most lucrative spot overall. Io is alright, lots of open spaces with nothing going on and the events are spread really far out, but it's easy to drive around and find chests. Nessus has too much underground poo poo and weird geometry, and it also has the most annoying / aggressive enemies, but it is really dense with chests and has pretty easy events.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Also I never played 1 so I'm kinda confused - there's a checkpoint system in the raids so you can make progress, go do other stuff, and come back to the raid later to do more of it? Do you have to have the same people with you, or else what is to stop someone from joining at the very end?

Nothing. In fact 'getting the checkpoint' from someone who already has it was absolutely a thing in D1.

But give that raids are 6-person max, and are generally pretty goddamned hard to do with less than 5 AND the checkpoints reset every week, there's not a lot you can do to abuse it. Plus, the loot is given out throughout the raid at each encounter, not just at the end.

Serak fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 14, 2017

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Just beat the story, reached level 20, and passed power 200. Ready to go nuts with goons. Why do they bother keeping the 20 next to people's names? Eventually, more or less everyone will be 20.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Coldheart seems to be a pretty good dps weapon for the boss

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Barudak posted:

Went into PvP for promise of powerful gear. Not worth it to play another minute of that poo poo.

3 rounds back to back everyone on opposing team had mida and camped. In non competitive.

Extremely smart of Bungie to create a weapon that further incentivizes hyper-conservative play in a PvP that already rewards it.

mango sentinel posted:

EDZ is faster, but I still found the public events grind tedious.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

Extremely smart of Bungie to create a weapon that further incentivizes hyper-conservative play in a PvP that already rewards it.

EDZ is faster, but I still found the public events grind tedious.

Titan is faster because there's only two so you know people will show up.

I just got to Power Level 273. Is that enough to get through some of the raid or should I grind up a few more before joining a raid group?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The post game quest chain exotics are considerably over 260, sturm spawned as 275 for me at that level for reference. Since you can infuse their attack stat minus 5 into other weapons its perhaps longer than just raw grinding but it feels less terrible since youre doing plot missions. I basically sling shotted from 260 to 273 by doing that and getting lucky with an exotic chest piece.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Barudak posted:

The post game quest chain exotics are considerably over 260, sturm spawned as 275 for me at that level for reference. Since you can infuse their attack stat minus 5 into other weapons its perhaps longer than just raw grinding but it feels less terrible since youre doing plot missions. I basically sling shotted from 260 to 273 by doing that and getting lucky with an exotic chest piece.

I got lucky with the exotic chest piece too. 285!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

How! posted:

Some people don't have a problem.

So I chose wrong exotic, one per account? I can't just roll another character?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CheeseFactory posted:

Got him to 10% hp in the final dps phase, but wiped on the dps check.

drat. Got the raid pulse and bunch of tokens though. I need sleep. So disappointed!

The phrase DPS Check reminds me why I don't go all out on MMO raids.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Barudak posted:

they're based on your power level. I did them basically right away and mida and sturm were 250ish. But yes they are much higher than your current power, so save them until you're 260-265 or so because that's when you start needing the big bumps.

Loving Leader
Sep 17, 2004

HOT PIE COMIN THROUGH
We didn't finish. Got to the final boss at about the 5 hour mark.

We all just kept making mental mistakes on the gauntlet. The way we beat it....

https://clips.twitch.tv/ObliqueSolidSkirretVoHiYo

I shouldn't be alive.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

and yeah, pleasure garden, oof

Good loving luck lfg pickup groups! You basically absolutely need one person on the ground who can navigate around like a pro, and the two spotters need to be on point to get the beast handlers/watch out for dogs/point out the next flower.

Some other stuff-
there are eight flowers. We had the following callouts (directions are as if you're in the safe room, looking at the spawn):
Bones/near left safehouse door (near left)
Vases or urns, on the left wall,
Head, back left corner.
Trees, in the middle of left side.
Dog statue/near right safehouse door (near right)
Drain, right side wall- it's where you come in if you found the passage from the baths
Columns, far right corner.
Canyon, middle of right side.

We had the spotters split up left and right to look for the next plant better.

There are five dogs. A dog patrols between drain and statue, and another between drain and columns. A dog hangs out near bones, and another goes between vases and head. The fifth patrols past the entrance.
e; actually it's possible there's a sixth but I don't know where it patrols and didn't see it run to any of the other spots so I dunno. Maybe I just missed it.

Drain seemed like the hardest flower to get, at least without having to wait a while for the dogs to get in the right position. If you get it first its possible to make it if you beeline- go through the middle and then pass canyon's middle entrance- it was always paired with near left for us, but just ignore that for now and go straight for drain or you waste a lot of time, and then have to immediately return to canyon entrance.

You kind of want to use the middle space between trees and canyon and trees as your staging area, they are pretty safe I think.

During the psionic howl they run to a specific flower for each: dog statue, bones, head, columns, drain. This helps for hunting them down.
If you have lots of stacks it's easy to accidentally kill a dog, especially if you use a dot like some grenades.
I'm not sure if it's better to stick together and try to burn a few dogs down as a group, or to designate everyone to a specific dog and split up.

Unfortunately we couldn't beat it :( but I think as people get the hang of the geometry, where the dogs patrol, and how to coordinate killing them it'll get better.

The baths were really fun, too. Kind of like the totems from King's Fall.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 14, 2017

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Finally got power back, waddimiss?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Ularg posted:

Finally got power back, waddimiss?
Displeasure Gardens

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Soulex posted:

Some people don't have a problem.

So I chose wrong exotic, one per account? I can't just roll another character?

You get one per character, so it's no big deal.

I'm currently seriously considering running three of each class through to titan in order to get all the gimmie armor exotics.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Mithross posted:

I'm currently seriously considering running three of each class through to titan in order to get all the gimmie armor exotics.

yeah I... did that. On two characters at least. It took about 1.5 hours for each run, but I'm no speedrunner. The trick is that you want to hit level 4 as you finish the mission on earth where you explore the mines, otherwise you're locked out of Titan.

I'm not sure it was worth it? I've since gotten some duplicates, but it is nice to know for sure that I've 100% got an exotic, I'm not going to be 10 months in still chasing sunbracers or something.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Mithross posted:

As long as you have the auto rifle chest don't bother, it's the best one. The doom fang arms are okay and the shock arms are pure poo poo, neither are worth doing that awful opening again.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What are the warlock exotic armors people are picking from the campaign mission?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Six dogs, actually. Can't remember all the names (Ta'aurc, B'ael, Tou'aurg(?), M'orn, Aru'un, 1 more).

The thing is that the encounter usually spawns the plants in a pattern. If we got the near left plant at the beginning, 9 times out of 10 we would get the middle left/drain spot. This spot is hard to get to though because the dogs take turns looking at it. The trick is to get the spore party to head through canyon and after the dog paths right to left to follow it while hugging the right wall and hiding under the tree roots if necessary. Once everyone's gotten to the plant and sporized you can either make a quick dash back towards canyon or you can head on the far side of canyon towards the middle because the dog sweeps counter-clockwise and doesn't actually look back at the plant. After this we could get canyon, trees, or columns which are much much easier to get to. In a normal run we could get a 48 stack before we started beating on them.

Once we found a reliable way of getting to the plants the next hardest part was actually finding out where the dogs path to once you get found which are:
Near left
Trees
Head
Near right
Drain
Columns

Once people know where the dogs run to the party can go to these spots and wait for them. It also helps to know the names so you don't steal someone else's target because the dogs will unpath once you start beating on them.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 14, 2017

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

What are the warlock exotic armors people are picking from the campaign mission?

Depends on if you like dawnblade or not, because two of warlocks choices are Dawnblade specific.

If you like Dawnblade then probably the Sunbracers (I haven't tried the Wings but the bracers seem better overall)

If you don't want to be a Dawnblade then you take the Eye because that's your only choice.

Also looking at the list I don't feel the need to get all three exotics for each class after all. I already have the Pauldrons and Eye, so I'll make another titan for the AR chest, another lock for the bracers, then hunter can just grab whatever because none of them look that great, probably Lucky Pants because the lore is great.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Mithross posted:

Depends on if you like dawnblade or not, because two of warlocks choices are Dawnblade specific.

If you like Dawnblade then probably the Sunbracers (I haven't tried the Wings but the bracers seem better overall)

If you don't want to be a Dawnblade then you take the Eye because that's your only choice.

Also looking at the list I don't feel the need to get all three exotics for each class after all. I already have the Pauldrons and Eye, so I'll make another titan for the AR chest, another lock for the bracers, then hunter can just grab whatever because none of them look that great, probably Lucky Pants because the lore is great.

raiden flux is absolutely fantastic for pole dancers. It actually turns it into an incredibly strong super for bosses, since they don't hurt as much when they melee anymore. Especially if you sync it with a burn in the nightfall- it'll stagger them and do great damage, like a third on your own.