Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

NewForumSoftware posted:

"
Can you do me a solid and actually quote where it says this because I see 50 pages of charts and I don't see the number "41.7" Show up anywhere when I control+f

Ah, double checking, I made a mistake. I underestimate the amount CO2 emissions in the RCP8.5 scenario. It's actually supposed to be 45.06 GtC02 in 2020, not 41.7. Anyway, got to page 1410 and look at the graph at the bottom labeled "Table AII.2.1c | Anthropogenic total CO2 emissions (PgC yr–1)". Now multiply that by 3.67 because it's measured in PgC instead of GtCO2 and you get my numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Thug Lessons posted:

I certainly don't want to play poker with a stacked deck, so I'm not inclined to operate on an assumption of upper-bound ECS. However, you are absolutely right that we shouldn't play poker with "business as usual" GHG emissions either. We should cut them as quickly as possible. I'm not arguing for unrelenting emissions, just against people who literally, ("literally" meaning literally, not literally meaning figuratively), argue that we are doomed to a RCP8.5 emissions scenario.

Right, we aren't going to follow a BAU path to RCP 8.5 in terms of emissions. The main concern is that lower pathways can still lead to a very high ECS beyond what was expected in the last IPCC report. I suspect that the primary GHG drivers that were not covered in the last IPCC that we will learn more about are peatland effects and Antarctic tectonics. This means that we should do everything we can now and faster than normal. While RCP 8.5 used to be "Wow that's bad we should avoid it", now we need to be talking about how RCP 2.6 is itself more dangerous than we originally thought.

Sure the feedbacks are uncertain, but the fact of the matter is that outside of global dimming effects from sulfate emission / coal mining, every feedback we find just keeps ramping the temperature up. Maybe we'll have some surprises when we learn more about peatland sequestration and release. I don't have my hopes up though.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Right, we aren't going to follow a BAU path to RCP 8.5 in terms of emissions. The main concern is that lower pathways can still lead to a very high ECS beyond what was expected in the last IPCC report. I suspect that the primary GHG drivers that were not covered in the last IPCC that we will learn more about are peatland effects and Antarctic tectonics. This means that we should do everything we can now and faster than normal. While RCP 8.5 used to be "Wow that's bad we should avoid it", now we need to be talking about how RCP 2.6 is itself more dangerous than we originally thought.

Sure the feedbacks are uncertain, but the fact of the matter is that outside of global dimming effects from sulfate emission / coal mining, every feedback we find just keeps ramping the temperature up. Maybe we'll have some surprises when we learn more about peatland sequestration and release. I don't have my hopes up though.

I come at this from an amateur perspective where I am dealing with people who are concerned primarily with Arctic emissions. And from what I know, feedback effects from Arctic permafrost end up at around an additional 0.05-0.15C under an RCP8.5 scenario. They are really not that significant unless we are making some massive scientific error. I am vaguely aware of wetland emissions, (which, contra popular belief are expected to exceed Arctic emissions), and know they are in the same ballpark. I am much more worried about emitting way too much CO2 than I am about these feedbacks amplifying it.

However your perspective focused around unanticipated impacts is valid, I want to engage with it, but I have to go now. Peace.

Thug Lessons fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 11, 2017

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

call to action posted:

That's about what I expected, the most credible optimistic response to climate change is somewhere between a shrew being reintroduced to Australia and "we'll pull through it because we always have, no I don't have any real reason to believe that"
it's not a shrew you fool

the correct name for it is actually a "potoroid", which i know sounds like something that would hit the earth and put us all out of our misery in the best possible way

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
here is a potoroid being nursed back to health so she can go back to the bush and continue dispersing fungal spores for the good of everybody

https://twitter.com/wildwarriors/status/907139216420696067

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
god Thug Lessons you're such a loving moron. Go make the same arguments on the arctic sea ice forums and see how far you can make it.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Don't worry guys it's fine

https://twitter.com/SteveSGoddard/status/904991897936044032

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think the forums are broken, last page had only 3 posts???

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

take that believers! *rides into the sunset in my coal-powered f150*

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

See? Based on real data, there's been no warming since 1998 2005 2012!

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

I think the forums are broken, last page had only 3 posts???

still the same old climate change thread

thug lessons doesnt seem too bad though except for neglecting the ignore function

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Thug Lessons posted:

Asinine point. Ignorant at best, maybe deliberate deception. Yes, scientists agree that feedbacks will cause CO2 to increase even after human emissions peak, but they certainly don't agree that they go on forever. The is a clear consensus that a runaway greenhouse effect is not going to happen, a consensus as strong as that the greenhouse effect is occurring at all.

What about positive feedback systems like the release of methane from melting permafrost and methane-hydrides in the oceans? How does that play into the runaway scenarios?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody honestly knows how bad the permafrost effect, in particular, will be. If it does get bad, though, it could absolutely accelerate climate change to an incredible rate.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

What about positive feedback systems like the release of methane from melting permafrost and methane-hydrides in the oceans? How does that play into the runaway scenarios?

Methane is probably the most misunderstood aspect of climate change by the general public. Methane doesn't even stay in the atmosphere. It oxidizes and turns into CO2 rapidly and all of the methane we're emitting today will be gone in ten years.

Now, methane hydrates. As far as we know, there simply won't be a massive hydrate release. We don't even have anything to imply there will be a hydrate release at all. It should be treated more like the potential for an asteroid impact or a supervolcano eruption than as part of climate change. The guys over at RealClimate did a great writeup of it. I'll post the takeaways here but I advise you to read the entire thing.

quote:

Could there be a methane runaway feedback?.

The “runaway greenhouse effect” that planetary scientists and climatologists usually call by that name involves water vapor. A runaway greenhouse effect involving methane release (such as invoked here) is conceptually possible, but to get a spike of methane concentration in the air it would have to released more quickly than the 10-year lifetime of methane in the atmosphere. Otherwise what you’re talking about is elevated methane concentrations, reflecting the increased source, plus the radiative forcing of that accumulating CO2. It wouldn’t be a methane runaway greenhouse effect, it would be more akin to any other carbon release as CO2 to the atmosphere. This sounds like semantics, but it puts the methane system into the context of the CO2 system, where it belongs and where we can scale it.

So maybe by the end of the century in some reasonable scenario, perhaps 2000 Gton C could be released by human activity under some sort of business-as-usual scenario, and another 1000 Gton C could come from soil and methane hydrate release, as a worst case. We set up a model of the methane runaway greenhouse effect scenario, in which the methane hydrate inventory in the ocean responds to changing ocean temperature on some time scale, and the temperature responds to greenhouse gas concentrations in the air with another time scale (of about a millennium) (Archer and Buffett, 2005). If the hydrates released too much carbon, say two carbons from hydrates for every one carbon from fossil fuels, on a time scale that was too fast (say 1000 years instead of 10,000 years), the system could run away in the CO2 greenhouse mode described above. It wouldn’t matter too much if the carbon reached the atmosphere as methane or if it just oxidized to CO2 in the ocean and then partially degassed into the atmosphere a few centuries later.

The fact that the ice core records do not seem full of methane spikes due to high-latitude sources makes it seem like the real world is not as sensitive as we were able to set the model up to be. This is where my guess about a worst-case 1000 Gton from hydrates after 2000 Gton C from fossil fuels in the last paragraph comes from.

On the other hand, the deep ocean could ultimately (after a thousand years or so) warm up by several degrees in a business-as-usual scenario, which would make it warmer than it has been in millions of years. Since it takes millions of years to grow the hydrates, they have had time to grow in response to Earth’s relative cold of the past 10 million years or so. Also, the climate forcing from CO2 release is stronger now than it was millions of years ago when CO2 levels were higher, because of the band saturation effect of CO2 as a greenhouse gas. In short, if there was ever a good time to provoke a hydrate meltdown it would be now. But “now” in a geological sense, over thousands of years in the future, not really “now” in a human sense. The methane hydrates in the ocean, in cahoots with permafrost peats (which never get enough respect), could be a significant multiplier of the long tail of the CO2, but will probably not be a huge player in climate change in the coming century.

Could methane be a point of no return?

Actually, releasing CO2 is a point of no return if anything is. The only way back to a natural climate in anything like our lifetimes would be to anthropogenically extract CO2 from the atmosphere. The CO2 that has been absorbed into the oceans would degas back to the atmosphere to some extent, so we’d have to clean that up too. And if hydrates or peats contributed some extra carbon into the mix, that would also have to be part of the bargain, like paying interest on a loan.

Conclusion

It’s the CO2, friend.
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2012/01/much-ado-about-methane/

Finally, permafrost. Once again the methane will not stay in the atmosphere and it's the CO2 we have to worry about. Since there are large amounts of carbon stored in the Arctic, this is cause for concern. However, the current understanding is that it's going to account for a trivial amount of emissions compared to those caused by humans and certainly isn't going to create a runaway greenhouse effect. This 2014 report found that under an worst-case emissions scenario, the permafrost could account for 120 ± 85 GtC of emissions resulting in an additional 0.29 ± 0.21 °C warming by 2100. That's compared to an estimate ~3-5°C warming from human emissions, so it's not going to be more than a small fraction of what we're causing directly. Under the more optimistic RCP4.5 scenario, (which is still eminently doable and in my estimation probably where we're going to end up), between 27 and 100 GtC will be released total by 2100. For comparison, we release about 10GtC every single year. You can find other estimates if you like but this is fairly consistent with earlier projections. There is no reason to believe permafrost carbon release is a major factor at this time.

Essentially, the people arguing that methane hydrates or permafrost are going to kill us all are relying on science changing so we can somehow get more GHG into the atmosphere from the Arctic. But these are the same people who will rip the IPCC a new rear end in a top hat for their reliance on negative emissions schemes, whose main flaw is lack of proven technology, (though not a lack of proven science). They pick and choose what science they're going to accept and what standards they're going to apply so they can get the results they want, which are always the most pessimistic ones. It's bullshit. Don't listen to those people.

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN
The most plausible scenario for release of clathrate methane in the short term is someone figures out how utilize it as an energy rich fuel and we start mining it. Luckily we understand the long term implications and costs of doing that, so humans will sensibly leave those exploitable resources where they are. :smithicide:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dr. Furious posted:

The most plausible scenario for release of clathrate methane in the short term is someone figures out how utilize it as an energy rich fuel and we start mining it. Luckily we understand the long term implications and costs of doing that, so humans will sensibly leave those exploitable resources where they are. :smithicide:

Seeing how we're in the middle of a global gas glut we have at least most of a resource cycle before someone will start spending money on that. No need to tap (mostly stranded) clathrates if we have a bunch of shale gas already through exploration and development.

Although, methane clathrates would have a worse impact if we let them release rather than burning them, burning them would be better for the climate.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 13, 2017

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Thug Lessons posted:

Methane is probably the most misunderstood aspect of climate change by the general public. Methane doesn't even stay in the atmosphere. It oxidizes and turns into CO2 rapidly and all of the methane we're emitting today will be gone in ten years...

https://phys.org/tags/methane/ says:

Yes:

Methane in the atmosphere is eventually oxidized, producing carbon dioxide and water. As a result, methane in the atmosphere has a half life of seven years.

But:

Methane is a relatively potent greenhouse gas with a high global warming potential of 72 (averaged over 20 years) or 25 (averaged over 100 years).

The abundance of methane in the Earth's atmosphere in 1998 was 1745 parts per billion, up from 700 ppb in 1750. Methane can trap about 20 times the heat of CO2. In the same time period, CO2 increased from 278 to 365 parts per million. The radiative forcing effect due to this increase in methane abundance is about one-third of that of the CO2 increase. In addition, there is a large, but unknown, amount of methane in methane clathrates in the ocean floors. The Earth's crust contains huge amounts of methane. Large amounts of methane are produced anaerobically by methanogenesis. Other sources include mud volcanoes, which are connected with deep geological faults, and livestock (primarily cows) from enteric fermentation.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What a surprise, the person who has a preternatural ability to underestimate everything underestimated the 100 year impact of methane

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Seeing how we're in the middle of a global gas glut we have at least most of a resource cycle before someone will start spending money on that. No need to tap (mostly stranded) clathrates if we have a bunch of shale gas already through exploration and development.

Although, methane clathrates would have a worse impact if we let them release rather than burning them, burning them would be better for the climate.

Yeah. Gas companies are loath to invest in new technology which is why we only started fracking quite recently.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

call to action posted:

What a surprise, the person who has a preternatural ability to underestimate everything underestimated the 100 year impact of methane

Nothing in there contradicts what I'm saying at all? Except the comic from climate-change denier Scott Adams I guess.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Thug Lessons posted:

Nothing in there contradicts what I'm saying at all? Except the comic from climate-change denier Scott Adams I guess.

You say the methane will be 'gone in ten years' as if that matters, at all, considering it has 25 times the impact carbon dioxide has in 100 years over that timeframe. I know you're a climate minimizer but surely you believe that the next 100 years will be pretty important in determining our trajectory here

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

call to action posted:

You say the methane will be 'gone in ten years' as if that matters, at all, considering it has 25 times the impact carbon dioxide has in 100 years over that timeframe. I know you're a climate minimizer but surely you believe that the next 100 years will be pretty important in determining our trajectory here

If I was doing anything to minimize the impact of methane you're now doing the exact opposite by claiming it doesn't "matter at all" that methane is non-persistent compared to CO2 and its impact declines dramatically over time. The vast majority of radiative forcing right now is coming from CO2 and that proportion is only expected to climb as time goes on, permafrost included.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
There are always new, fun ways that climate change is going to murder us:

quote:

Ziska devised an experiment that eliminated the complicating factor of plant breeding: He decided to look at bee food.

Goldenrod, a wildflower many consider a weed, is extremely important to bees. It flowers late in the season, and its pollen provides an important source of protein for bees as they head into the harshness of winter. Since goldenrod is wild and humans haven’t bred it into new strains, it hasn’t changed over time as much as, say, corn or wheat. And the Smithsonian Institution also happens to have hundreds of samples of goldenrod, dating back to 1842, in its massive historical archive—which gave Ziska and his colleagues a chance to figure out how one plant has changed over time.

They found that the protein content of goldenrod pollen has declined by a third since the industrial revolution—and the change closely tracks with the rise in CO2. Scientists have been trying to figure out why bee populations around the world have been in decline, which threatens many crops that rely on bees for pollination. Ziska’s paper suggested that a decline in protein prior to winter could be an additional factor making it hard for bees to survive other stressors.

Ziska worries we’re not studying all the ways CO2 affects the plants we depend on with enough urgency, especially considering the fact that retooling crops takes a long time.

There is much more to this article, but it's primarily focused on unforeseen changes wrought by increased CO2 levels on the food supply.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Call me a skeptic but a report by Politico on an issue raised by a math PhD who worked on the paper while teaching math at the Catholic University of Daegu, South Korea strikes me as dubious.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Not to mention the acidification of oceans from the absorption of the increased level of CO2 combined with higher water temperatures killing off corals.

And maybe even plankton.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

shrike82 posted:

Call me a skeptic but a report by Politico on an issue raised by a math PhD who worked on the paper while teaching math at the Catholic University of Daegu, South Korea strikes me as dubious.

I mean you can have your biases but the dude seems as legit enough to publish a model. A maths background makes sense for building a complex model.

https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=8ZkUPbIAAAAJ

Clearly no wunderkin but I mean not everyone gets to be a badass.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 14, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Take a look at the peer review for the paper under discussion - he was forced to drastically reduce his claims after his paper was rejected once. And his "thought experiment" assumed a 5% reduction in mineral content of C3 plants. I suspect most posters are unlikely to skim through the Politico article, let alone the actual paper.

quote:

The reason for decision to reject lay in the concerns about the “scaleability” the results from the FACE trails to human nutrition. The conclusions were based on analogies to human obesity studies and were simply too strongly drawn to be supported by the data.

quote:

After discussion, a consensus agreement was reached that the manuscript could be accepted if it was substantially revised so that it was clear that impact of changes in nutrient content of the edible portion of food crops on human health has not been settled.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Thug Lessons posted:

If I was doing anything to minimize the impact of methane you're now doing the exact opposite by claiming it doesn't "matter at all" that methane is non-persistent compared to CO2 and its impact declines dramatically over time. The vast majority of radiative forcing right now is coming from CO2 and that proportion is only expected to climb as time goes on, permafrost included.
The link you posted is talking about a simulation that runs for 100,000 years, like that is a timescale that makes any sense for us to consider from a climate change perspective. In the long term, the world can get over a lot of poo poo, but people actually have to live through it. I think a more solid argument would be one focusing on the relative short-term (that is, a time period which people can actually relate to) impacts of CO2 and CH4 releases. If CH4 releases are way smaller than CO2 releases, then the 75/28 multiplier isn't a big deal, but if you can reasonably posit a scenario where they reach volumes that are maybe a hundredth of CO2 releases (or more) then the multipliers are definitely going to move methane into the "matters" category. Then it comes down to a discussion of how likely various scenarios are, from "everything released within a few years" to "long drawn out fart", rather than the physical properties of CH4.

Westmountdke
Mar 17, 2005
Hey guys,

I used to post a little bit years ago but kind of drifted away but I recently saw a former professor of mine post a graph from realclimatescience.com and then i said that this guys reputation is poo poo but then he challenged me about the data. So I went to the website and downloaded his program and looked at the code.

Has anyone else looked at this? I got the impression that his code just averages temperatures for all stations that are reporting and assumes that's the average temperature of the continental united states. Am I correct? Is this guy really getting hits based on such lovely work? Or did I miss something entirely?

Hope someone else here has looked into it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Westmountdke posted:

Hey guys,

I used to post a little bit years ago but kind of drifted away but I recently saw a former professor of mine post a graph from realclimatescience.com and then i said that this guys reputation is poo poo but then he challenged me about the data. So I went to the website and downloaded his program and looked at the code.

Has anyone else looked at this? I got the impression that his code just averages temperatures for all stations that are reporting and assumes that's the average temperature of the continental united states. Am I correct? Is this guy really getting hits based on such lovely work? Or did I miss something entirely?

Hope someone else here has looked into it.

The guy behind that is a bit of a kook.

Steven Goddard is a global warming skeptic, regular contributor to WattsUpWithThat (WUWT), and operator of ”The Deplorable Climate Science Blog.” The name “Steven Goddard” is a pseudonym used by Tony Heller, which he confirmed himself in June 2014.

Tony Heller describes himself as “an independent thinker who is considered a heretic by the orthodoxy on both sides of the climate debate.” He has degrees in Geology and Electrical Engineering, and lives in Columbia, Maryland. He describes global warming as the “biggest scientific fraud in history.”

Steven Goddard is known for a 2008 article in The Register where he posited that Arctic Sea ice is not receding and claimed that data from the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) showing the opposite was incorrect. Goddard later issued a retraction on his statement.

Goddard operates a blog titled “Real Science”, originally located at Real-Science.com, then at Stevengoddard.wordpress.com (until May, 2016), and now at Realclimatescience.com.

Stance on Climate Change

“Make no mistake about it, global warming is the biggest scientific fraud in history.”

“Global warming is indeed Mann-made, by Michael Mann and James Hansen. But it has nothing to do with climate or science.”

“”The 97% consensus quoted daily by Barack Obama is based on a few fraudulent studies of a handful of published papers.”

“There is no global warming crisis. There is a crisis of the White House having government agencies manipulate data, in pursuit of their global warming agenda. There is also a crisis of the White House attacking the Bill of Rights in pursuit of their global warming agenda.”

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

VideoGameVet posted:

“There is no global warming crisis. There is a crisis of the White House having government agencies manipulate data, in pursuit of their global warming agenda. There is also a crisis of the White House attacking the Bill of Rights in pursuit of their global warming agenda.”

The best part about this poo poo is a bunch of scientists have now reported their grants now depend on changing the results of their papers to suit Trump.

Every climate change denier deserves a bullet.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Politico posted:

What Loladze found is that scientists simply didn’t know. It was already well documented that CO2levels were rising in the atmosphere, but he was astonished at how little research had been done on how it affected the quality of the plants we eat. For the next 17 years, as he pursued his math career, Loladze scoured the scientific literature for any studies and data he could find. The results, as he collected them, all seemed to point in the same direction: The junk-food effect he had learned about in that Arizona lab also appeared to be occurring in fields and forests around the world. “Every leaf and every grass blade on earth makes more and more sugars as CO2 levels keep rising,” Loladze said. “We are witnessing the greatest injection of carbohydrates into the biosphere in human history―[an] injection that dilutes other nutrients in our food supply.”

Politico posted:

These experiments and others like them have shown scientists that plants change in important ways when they’re grown at elevated CO2 levels. Within the category of plants known as “C3”―which includes approximately 95 percent of plant species on earth, including ones we eat like wheat, rice, barley and potatoes―elevated CO2 has been shown to drive down important minerals like calcium, potassium, zinc and iron. The data we have, which look at how plants would respond to the kind of CO2 concentrations we may see in our lifetimes, show these important minerals drop by 8 percent, on average. The same conditions have been shown to drive down the protein content of C3 crops, in some cases significantly, with wheat and rice dropping 6 percent and 8 percent, respectively.

Earlier this summer, a group of researchers published the first studies attempting to estimate what these shifts could mean for the global population. Plants are a crucial source of protein for people in the developing world, and by 2050, they estimate, 150 million people could be put at risk of protein deficiency, particularly in countries like India and Bangladesh. Researchers found a loss of zinc, which is particularly essential for maternal and infant health, could put 138 million people at risk. They also estimated that more than 1 billion mothers and 354 million children live in countries where dietary iron is projected to drop significantly, which could exacerbate the already widespread public health problem of anemia.

Politico posted:

Goldenrod, a wildflower many consider a weed, is extremely important to bees. It flowers late in the season, and its pollen provides an important source of protein for bees as they head into the harshness of winter. Since goldenrod is wild and humans haven’t bred it into new strains, it hasn’t changed over time as much as, say, corn or wheat. And the Smithsonian Institution also happens to have hundreds of samples of goldenrod, dating back to 1842, in its massive historical archive—which gave Ziska and his colleagues a chance to figure out how one plant has changed over time.

They found that the protein content of goldenrod pollen has declined by a third since the industrial revolution—and the change closely tracks with the rise in CO2. Scientists have been trying to figure out why bee populations around the world have been in decline, which threatens many crops that rely on bees for pollination. Ziska’s paper suggested that a decline in protein prior to winter could be an additional factor making it hard for bees to survive other stressors.

More good news: http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2017/09/13/food-nutrients-carbon-dioxide-000511?lo=ap_a1

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

The guy behind that is a bit of a kook.

Steven Goddard is a global warming skeptic, regular contributor to WattsUpWithThat (WUWT), and operator of ”The Deplorable Climate Science Blog.” The name “Steven Goddard” is a pseudonym used by Tony Heller, which he confirmed himself in June 2014.

Tony Heller describes himself as “an independent thinker who is considered a heretic by the orthodoxy on both sides of the climate debate.” He has degrees in Geology and Electrical Engineering, and lives in Columbia, Maryland. He describes global warming as the “biggest scientific fraud in history.”

Steven Goddard is known for a 2008 article in The Register where he posited that Arctic Sea ice is not receding and claimed that data from the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) showing the opposite was incorrect. Goddard later issued a retraction on his statement.

Goddard operates a blog titled “Real Science”, originally located at Real-Science.com, then at Stevengoddard.wordpress.com (until May, 2016), and now at Realclimatescience.com.

Stance on Climate Change

“Make no mistake about it, global warming is the biggest scientific fraud in history.”

“Global warming is indeed Mann-made, by Michael Mann and James Hansen. But it has nothing to do with climate or science.”

“”The 97% consensus quoted daily by Barack Obama is based on a few fraudulent studies of a handful of published papers.”

I have yet to meet any "independent thinkers" who are either independent, or thinkers.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
speaking of "weeds" that will become incredibly useful to bees and humans over the coming decades: the humble dandelion is quite tasty, has a yellow flower that bees love (yellow attracts bees more than other colours iirc), thrives in lovely disrupted, toxic or compacted soils, and is the only thing that still lives in my paddocks after one of our apocalyptic dry spells. native dandelions are different in every country but the australian dandelions (we have a few species) have really deep tap roots that break up hard soil and broad flat leaves that trap moisture against the surface of the earth, allowing perennial ground covers to grow around the shadow of the leaves long after they've succumbed to dehydration in the open pasture. when they die they leave big underground root systems that soil organisms thrive in and around, and above ground some species leave solid woody stems that can be used for kindling or buried in a hugelkultur mound to decompose back into the earth. so if you've got a plot of land, please consider allowing it to become a dandelion sanctuary.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I dunno, it's probably better that plants are synthesizing more carbohydrate in response to elevated CO2 than it would be if they weren't.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the other magic plant is the sunflower. sunflowers are loving incredible and everyone should be planting them everywhere

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
and of course, between the dandelions and the sunflowers grows the great reward of the diligent pastoralist: the gentle marijuana

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

the old ceremony posted:

speaking of "weeds" that will become incredibly useful to bees and humans over the coming decades: the humble dandelion is quite tasty, has a yellow flower that bees love (yellow attracts bees more than other colours iirc), thrives in lovely disrupted, toxic or compacted soils, and is the only thing that still lives in my paddocks after one of our apocalyptic dry spells. native dandelions are different in every country but the australian dandelions (we have a few species) have really deep tap roots that break up hard soil and broad flat leaves that trap moisture against the surface of the earth, allowing perennial ground covers to grow around the shadow of the leaves long after they've succumbed to dehydration in the open pasture. when they die they leave big underground root systems that soil organisms thrive in and around, and above ground some species leave solid woody stems that can be used for kindling or buried in a hugelkultur mound to decompose back into the earth. so if you've got a plot of land, please consider allowing it to become a dandelion sanctuary.

That's great and all if you're living in Australia, but up here in the northern hemisphere we are seeing the spreading of pests not quite as benign as the dandelion.

Meet the Heracleum mantegazzianum.

Known in the EU as giant hogweed, jätteloka, hogsbane, etc. These fuckers love pollution, drive other plants to extinction and will burn your loving skin off if you get any ideas about getting too close.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
yes, but it won't drive the dandelion to extinction. nothing can drive the dandelion to extinction. the dandelion is us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

shrike82 posted:

You realize there are other mentioned studies besides that particular one, such as the one that initially drove his curiosity, right?

Oh I guess it got posted twice. Anyway... it's long and has a fair bit of content and pointers to other work.