Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

therattle posted:

And when you cut it it explodes like an anti-personnel mine?

I've got this new dish I'm working on, it's somewhat of a culinary claymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I've got this new dish I'm working on, it's somewhat of a culinary claymore

Or a Crunchy Frog.

Bang Bang Chicken.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

therattle posted:

Or a Crunchy Frog.

Why not Anthrax Ripple?

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 12, 2017

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Manuel Calavera posted:

Why not Anthrax Ripple?

I like the crunchy bones. I also enjoy a Spring Surprise.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Completely and utterly hosed up sandefjordsmør. It's supposed to be a light, velvety butter sauce and it somehow turned into something that resembled melted cheese. :gonk: I don't understand, I followed the instructions and everything, even stirred the butter in slowly. I'm just gonna avoid butter sauces from now on.

I decided to saute some scallions instead and it turns out that sauteed scallions have a slimy texture. I've given up and am roasting some vegetables now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Pollyanna posted:

Completely and utterly hosed up sandefjordsmør. It's supposed to be a light, velvety butter sauce and it somehow turned into something that resembled melted cheese. :gonk: I don't understand, I followed the instructions and everything, even stirred the butter in slowly. I'm just gonna avoid butter sauces from now on.

I decided to saute some scallions instead and it turns out that sauteed scallions have a slimy texture. I've given up and am roasting some vegetables now.

How does a lemon juice, cream and butter sauce get thick like melted cheese? Did you add flour or something?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
POST YOUR KITCHENS FOR ME, PLEASE

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834145

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

therattle posted:

I like the crunchy bones. I also enjoy a Spring Surprise.

Lamb's Bladder Cup has a certain...souciant quality.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

How does a lemon juice, cream and butter sauce get thick like melted cheese? Did you add flour or something?

Not so much thick as it was gloppy. It got that weird clear greasy sheen to it and the dairy took on a strange, almost "chunky" texture. I have no idea what I did to gently caress it up that badly.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Pollyanna posted:

Not so much thick as it was gloppy. It got that weird clear greasy sheen to it and the dairy took on a strange, almost "chunky" texture. I have no idea what I did to gently caress it up that badly.

Sounds like it split. Probably overheated.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Pollyanna posted:

Did you accidentally make paneer by bringing the cream to a simmer then adding the lemon juice? If that's the case you made cheese, congrats.

I always reduce the lemon juice first then add the cream and let it get warm and then mix in the butter until smooth. I don't let it boil again after the lemon juice reduces.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Did you accidentally make paneer by bringing the cream to a simmer then adding the lemon juice? If that's the case you made cheese, congrats.

I always reduce the lemon juice first then add the cream and let it get warm and then mix in the butter until smooth. I don't let it boil again after the lemon juice reduces.

That's strange - in this video, the lemon juice gets reduced, the cream is added, then the cream is taken to a boil and reduced by half. It didn't break for him and neither did he get cheese - did I bring the heat too high or something?

DekeThornton posted:

Sounds like it split. Probably overheated.

Goddammit. It would probably help if "low", "medium", and "medium-high" actually meant something.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As cream gets older it gets more prone to breaking. Not sure how fresh your cream was, but that's a possibility.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

As cream gets older it gets more prone to breaking. Not sure how fresh your cream was, but that's a possibility.
Does fat content matter too? I remember trying to do things with fat-free cream and it just came out weird.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rgocs posted:

Does fat content matter too? I remember trying to do things with fat-free cream and it just came out weird.

Fat free cream is an oxymoron and an abomination before god.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Pollyanna posted:

That's strange - in this video, the lemon juice gets reduced, the cream is added, then the cream is taken to a boil and reduced by half. It didn't break for him and neither did he get cheese - did I bring the heat too high or something?

Goddammit. It would probably help if "low", "medium", and "medium-high" actually meant something.

In the video you linked chef John mentions that in you dump in the butter too fast and the sauce cools down it could break, so it could be that.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I think the key to cooking motivation is:

1. Stay hungry so you think about food all day and watch cooking videos at work
2. Have a clean stocked kitchen so you don't have to clean or go buy ingredients
3. Drink coffee constantly

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

vermin posted:

2. Have a clean stocked kitchen so you don't have to clean or go buy ingredients

Fresh herbs are a life changer, also.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DekeThornton posted:

In the video you linked chef John mentions that in you dump in the butter too fast and the sauce cools down it could break, so it could be that.

Maybe that's it. I thought I was going really slow - I was dumping in 1-2 chunks at a time and letting them melt before adding the rest - but maybe I went too fast. I'm pretty impatient when it comes to cooking, so I prolly hosed that part up.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

vermin posted:

Having appropriate cookware of decent quality helps a lot too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cooking motivation is being well stocked, already knowing what you want to do and how, and being diligent enough to clean afterwards. The easier it is to do, the more likely you are to do it. That's how microwave meals got popular.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

:hfive:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I was fairly bummed when there was construction immediately next to my apartment for the whole summer, because I didn't want to grow herbs when there's dust and poo poo being kicked up every day. I miss being able to just walk outside and grab a fistful of tasty leaves. I also miss being able to pick up a mint leaf, rub it, then make the neighbour's cat smell it and get mad at me.

All I have is a small pot of hen & chicks (came with the apartment) that survived through my neglect because they're... hen & chicks and that's what they do.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Oh, I agree. Those tests were the start and end of it for me.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I don't understand how fat-free cream is even a thing. Isn't that just skim milk? I mean, the whole point of cream is that it's....full of fat.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

The Midniter posted:

I don't understand how fat-free cream is even a thing. Isn't that just skim milk? I mean, the whole point of cream is that it's....full of fat.
Skim milk plus cornstarch and thickeners I think. So, yeah, not cream.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

rgocs posted:

Skim milk plus cornstarch and thickeners I think. So, yeah, not cream.

Modified starches, carrageenans, gums like locust bean or guar, gelatin etc. are used to thicken and stabilize things like fat free cream from my understanding.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Halo top is the least offensive fat free ice cream, but it's still disgusting and nothing like ice cream.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm gonna do nearly a week at the hard rock in Puerto Vallarta for a friend's wedding next month. I've never done the all inclusive resort thing before - what should I expect food wise?

Or should I just be an enemy of quality and indulge in the endless free liquor and not give a gently caress about the food?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm gonna do nearly a week at the hard rock in Puerto Vallarta for a friend's wedding next month. I've never done the all inclusive resort thing before - what should I expect food wise?

Or should I just be an enemy of quality and indulge in the endless free liquor and not give a gently caress about the food?

I have no idea about the food but if you drink enough liquor, everything will taste good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait, a whole week at a Hard Rock themed resort? Niiiiice

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I grew up going to PV almost every year (well, nuevo vallarta, parent's timeshare). Go to Pipi's downtown, place is a staple.

fake edit to google
Oh poo poo the HR is hella close to where I used to go (Paradise Village). There's a little strip mall up the road from there that's walking distance, they used to have pretty good food there but it's been over 10 years since I've been so :iiam:

tldr the food has generally been ok outside of resorts, even in resorts, decent, not amazing, not terrible.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ok, sweet. I've been to Mexico a bunch but never Nuevo Vallarta, so I wasn't sure if there was anything super amazing I had to do there or if I should just soak up glorious first world privilege. I guess I'll just try to see how much Johnny Walker I can drink in a day.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Ok, sweet. I've been to Mexico a bunch but never Nuevo Vallarta, so I wasn't sure if there was anything super amazing I had to do there or if I should just soak up glorious first world privilege. I guess I'll just try to see how much Johnny Walker I can drink in a day.

when I was last there it was pretty rural and touristy. I hear it's more crowded now though

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm playing with a copycat recipe for Hobnobs. I'm happy that they sell them in the international aisle of Publix here in FL, but :homebrew: and :science: compel me to tinker.

I tried a Food52 recipe as well as this one, and decided I like the latter better. May try other base recipes later. Now I'm testing different adjustments for fun and profit.

Chocolate coated or chips inside: chips are just as tasty, much easier and much cleaner to eat.

Semi-sweet or bittersweet Ghirardelli chocolate: semi-sweet, surprisingly, since I like bittersweet better on ice cream.

Moisture: adding an egg and 20g of flour made these way more moist. Might up the oatmeal until I get the right balance, as this adjustment definitely took them outside of "digestive" range.

Peanut butter: yum. Folded in 140g after everything else was mixed. Slightly cakier, so may melt the butter instead of creaming if I do PB again.

Pressing flat (per the recipe) vs just scoop onto sheet pan: doesn't matter much without PB, with PB accentuated the cakiness.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A couple weeks ago, Amazon Treasure Truck had Porter & York 1/2 lb. Wagyu burgers, but while they were good, they weren't mind blowing.

This is next door to my regular weekend bar: https://buckheadrestaurants.com/restaurant/chops-lobster-bar-atl/

At $25/oz, is the 4 oz filet sufficient to get a full Wagyu experience or do I need to go for a larger piece?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

A couple weeks ago, Amazon Treasure Truck had Porter & York 1/2 lb. Wagyu burgers, but while they were good, they weren't mind blowing.

This is next door to my regular weekend bar: https://buckheadrestaurants.com/restaurant/chops-lobster-bar-atl/

At $25/oz, is the 4 oz filet sufficient to get a full Wagyu experience or do I need to go for a larger piece?

Wagyu is overrated imo. I'd rather have some dry aged prime.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The stuff we get over here that’s advertised as “wagyu” is overrated, especially in a burger where marbling doesn’t matter because it’s ground up.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Josh Lyman posted:

Don't buy that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

99/100 times it's a)not even wagyu and b) not at all worth it