Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hm, what's the best way to show the scale of this monster I've created? Oh, I know!

I'll plop a DropShip next to it! :supaburn:

Is that a tiny park arcology?

Parkology?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
How tall is the structure? What are we looking at in cubic volume?

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Each hex is 30 meters squared, and that building occupies 91 hexes. That is nearly 3 square kilometers of building.

Might want to check your sums there. If a hex is 30 metres by 30 metres that's only 81,900 m^2, nowhere near the 3,000,000m^2 of 3 square kilometres.

On a positive note, I really liked that let's read, and it ended up enhancing my memories of that early 17th recon mission. I still remember that mission and that's pretty drat great for a thread on the internet. What are the 17th up to currently in this timeline? Last we saw them was something about limos, assassination and highlanders?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hm, what's the best way to show the scale of this monster I've created? Oh, I know!

Each hex is 30 meters squared, and that building occupies 91 hexes. That is nearly 3 square kilometers of building.
Is it for 80s of the future anime conventions? Or would that not be big enough?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Is "30m" the long diagonal, the short diagonal, or the edge length of a hex?

Edit: or is the area given as "30m^2"

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 14, 2017

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I looked up the largest building footprint here on Earth and the biggest is the flower auction building in Aalsmeer, Netherlands at just a bit over 0.5 square kilometers.

So that's like six of those. Dang.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is it for 80s of the future anime conventions? Or would that not be big enough?

This is what happens when PAX runs until 3025+. paxplex.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Is "30m" the long diagonal, the short diagonal, or the edge length of a hex?

Edit: or is the area given as "30m^2"

E: actually the 30 meters figure might be a different number than I thought, if distances are center to center.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 14, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AJ_Impy posted:

How tall is the structure? What are we looking at in cubic volume?

Varies, but height 74 / 148 stories at its highest point.

Erd posted:

Might want to check your sums there. If a hex is 30 metres by 30 metres that's only 81,900 m^2, nowhere near the 3,000,000m^2 of 3 square kilometres.

That's what happens when I pretend I can do math at 3:00AM.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Yay, time for some High School Trigonometry! :)

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagon

The area of a hex is ( SQRT(3) / 2 ) * d^2, where d is the 'inner diameter' (that being the Battletech measure of 30 meters across, edge to edge).

Area of a Hex = 779.42 m2

Total Area of 91 hexes = 779.42 * 91 = 70,927.48 m2

Total Volume of a Building 74 Height Levels tall with that foot print (assuming a height level is 6 m high).

Total Volume of a Building = 70,927.48 * 74 * 6 = 31,491,801.37 m3

Assuming building has a 'gentle' slope (call it a 'fat cone', with 2/3 of the volume enclosed.

Total Volume of a 'Fat Cone' Building = 31,491,801.37 * (2/3) = 20,994,534.25 m3

Total Volume of a 'Normal Cone' Building = 31,491,801.37 * (1/3) = 10,497,267.12 m3

As a size comparison, an American Football field is 110m x 48.76m = 5,363.6 m2

So, 91 hexes is 70,927.48 / 5,363.6 = 13.22 Football Fields.

Finally, the AT&T Stadium (new home of the Dallas Cowboys) is 104 million cubic feet = 2,944,952.05 m3

So, Total Volume Building is 31,491,801.37 m3 / 2,944,952.05 m3 = 10.7 AT&T Stadiums.

'Fat Cone', 7.13 Stadiums; 'Normal Cone', 3.56 Stadiums.

:ocelot: :)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CourValant posted:

The area of a hex is ( SQRT(3) / 2 ) * d^2, where d is the 'inner diameter' (that being the Battletech measure of 30 meters across, edge to edge).

Yeah I was figuring all this on the john this morning when I realized I didn't actually know what 30m meant for a Btech hex, so thanks.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah I was figuring all this on the john this morning when I realized I didn't actually know what 30m meant for a Btech hex, so thanks.

No worries!

I 'think' this is correct; I don't have my books to verify, although I'd imagine 30m across has to be 'edge to edge'.

It wouldn't make sense otherwise, as movement is made across the 'edges', and not across the 'points'; everything is aligned to the hex edge, and not the corners.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
This is mostly reassurance that progress is happening:

I'd say I'm about 50% done with building placement, which means I'm 25% done with the map. I'm doing a little something different to denote building hexes both to make them clearer and so I can have multi-level buildings, but it's going to take a lot longer.

Here's a better look at what I'm doing (I'm not sure I'll keep these colors, but they're bright enough to be unmistakable so I probably will):

If any of the players turn out to be colorblind I'll probably turn the hex borders white instead.

Edit: I call that block of alternating buildings on the bottom right the Dragon's Teeth Apartment Block. :haw:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 14, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: I call that block of alternating buildings on the bottom right the Dragon's Teeth Apartment Block. :haw:

Wow; you're pulling out all the stops on this one, huh?

Fight will be in a government housing complex, complete with soccer stadium and parking structures, plus whatever that self contained 91 hex sky-rise might be (mid-level condos? Judging by the greenery and water feature?)

Time for a Soccer-Hooligan Wembley Stadium-style 'mech busting good time. :)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

CourValant posted:

Wow; you're pulling out all the stops on this one, huh?

Fight will be in a government housing complex, complete with soccer stadium and parking structures, plus whatever that self contained 91 hex sky-rise might be (mid-level condos? Judging by the greenery and water feature?)

Time for a Soccer-Hooligan Wembley Stadium-style 'mech busting good time. :)

Actually the 91 hex sky-rise will turn out to be a transforming mecha that the PCs will have to beat, possibly by having a pilot sing over their 'Mech's PA system

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

In another timeline, that big rear end Drac building would have made a perfect Ghost Bears HQ.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

. . . the PCs will have to beat, possibly by having a pilot sing over their 'Mech's PA system

Ahem.

You did note my Forum Avatar Quote, no? :)

Because I Remember Love.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Yeah but without a macross avatar you look like a scrub.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's not done-done, but the layout's finished.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I foresee many hilarious skid roll fails next mission

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Nothing like some good old hellish uruban warfare. Some nice straightaways with lots of ambush spots. Here's hoping for plenty of jump jets!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not done-done, but the layout's finished.

The Spider is going to have a field day on this one. Is this larger than Konpei Island?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

anakha posted:

I foresee many hilarious skid roll fails next mission

It would only be appropriate, seeing as how we'll be playing a combination of 'hide and seek' and 'laser tag' in that maze.

That spider is going to be something else on this map, seeing as how it can clear height level 10 buildings.

***** Edit *****

The Spider is going to have a field day on this one.

Awww, beat me to it! :)

Is this larger than Konpei Island?

I do believe that it is.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

CourValant posted:

Ahem.

You did note my Forum Avatar Quote, no? :)

Because I Remember Love.

Careful. Harmony Gold might shut this thread down.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

painedforever posted:

Careful. Harmony Gold might shut this thread down.

. . . take me out, to the black,
tell 'em I ain't coming back,
burn the land and boil the sea,
you can't take GERWALK from me . . .

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just plop it onto the stadium, that'll make for some nice explosions.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

evilmiera posted:

Just plop it onto the stadium, that'll make for some nice explosions.

If I put that building and the stadium in the same hex, you wouldn't be able to see the stadium.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Having jump jets on this map is going to be a huge advantage. Having jump jets that aren't restricted to only taking the quickest path to a hex is going to be loving bonkers in a city fight.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

apostateCourier posted:

Having jump jets on this map is going to be a huge advantage. Having jump jets that aren't restricted to only taking the quickest path to a hex is going to be loving bonkers in a city fight.

The dumb thing: any jumper can make a mid-air turn if there's something they can't jump over in the way, but if that object isn't in the way they can't make a midair turn. :pseudo:

In fluff terms I'm pretty sure the jumpers wind up doing a double jump where they make a short hop then a second short hop immediately, but it still amuses me.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Holy shiiiiiit playing that spider on this map is gonna ownnn.

PTN you are a certified crazy man for putting it in the lineup haha.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Gwaihir posted:

Holy shiiiiiit playing that spider on this map is gonna ownnn.

PTN you are a certified crazy man for putting it in the lineup haha.

Please be me please be me please be me. :pray:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Everyone gets to be a spider until Grandpa Nergal brings a net.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 15, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

RA Rx posted:

Everyone gets to be a spider until Grandpa Nergal brings a net.

I miss Mechwarrior Ath. Angry Death Wish Grandpa was the best.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjnXUd3QIfw

Feels somewhat relevant to the thread.
Also had no idea that Mechwarrior Living Legends was back in development.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

The dumb thing: any jumper can make a mid-air turn if there's something they can't jump over in the way, but if that object isn't in the way they can't make a midair turn. :pseudo:

In fluff terms I'm pretty sure the jumpers wind up doing a double jump where they make a short hop then a second short hop immediately, but it still amuses me.

Incidentally, this is something that isn't modeled in Megamek.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjnXUd3QIfw

Feels somewhat relevant to the thread.
Also had no idea that Mechwarrior Living Legends was back in development.

Yeah I have been playing LL for a few days and it is still fantastic. There are several new units as well as new variants. Unfortunately the removed the all DSSRM Mad Dog :(

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Spriting continues! I'm really sorry this is taking so long, I've got a lot to do. We're almost there. :saddowns:

Roughnecks, 3rd Crucis Lancers, Valten Ryder, 2nd Amphigean Light Assault, Sun Zhang Cadre, 16th Legion of Vega

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Who's the big guy in the upper right?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That would be a Charger.

This map also features one of my favorite Inner Sphere `Mechs, the Bandersnatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That would be a Charger.

This map also features one of my favorite Inner Sphere `Mechs, the Bandersnatch.

I guess that's why it reminds me of the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

"I thought of the one thing that could never hurt us..."

[EDIT] In all seriousness, I like the sprite and that color scheme is cool. I didn't know about the Sun Zhang Academy until I looked it up.

• Locked thread