Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

boy undead posted:

Don't North know you're supposed to pick up talent on the far side of your rebuild?

North are terrified that a lengthy rebuild will be the end of their football club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
North is the team I would least miss, after gold coast

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

North Melbourne are right up there with a a couple of NRL clubs in terms of not having a large and distinct enough geographic area to support a professional sports team in a high end national competition. That has always been their problem, and with the best will in the world I'm not sure it will ever stop being their problem.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

North Melbourne are right up there with a a couple of NRL clubs in terms of not having a large and distinct enough geographic area to support a professional sports team in a high end national competition. That has always been their problem, and with the best will in the world I'm not sure it will ever stop being their problem.

I sorta get what you're saying, but wouldn't that apply to Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton, St Kilda, etc? They're all small inner-city suburbs which arguably fall under "Melbourne" as a region (the master club :getin:).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Windmill Hut posted:

I sorta get what you're saying, but wouldn't that apply to Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton, St Kilda, etc? They're all small inner-city suburbs which arguably fall under "Melbourne" as a region (the master club :getin:).

The problem for North is that they can't geographically expand west, east or north for a supporter base due to being surrounded by the Bulldogs, Essendon and Carlton, respectively. While Carlton/Coll/Rich/St K do have geographical areas that can expand into.

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009

Spedman posted:

The problem for North is that they can't geographically expand west, east or north for a supporter base due to being surrounded by the Bulldogs, Essendon and Carlton, respectively. While Carlton/Coll/Rich/St K do have geographical areas that can expand into.

Richmond seem pretty boxed in tbh - there's Collingwood, Hawthorn, St Kilda, and Melbourne basically at the cardinal directions.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Chifley posted:

Richmond seem pretty boxed in tbh - there's Collingwood, Hawthorn, St Kilda, and Melbourne basically at the cardinal directions.

Richmond always had people living in it. In fact, Richmond is one of the few of the old suburban clubs that still has it's membership heartland in the suburb of Richmond. North Melbourne didn't have that. Much of North and West Melbourne was industrial zoned (still is actually). People may have worked in North Melbourne, but they lived in Essendon, Footscray, Carlton, or Collingwood.

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009

hiddenmovement posted:

Richmond always had people living in it. In fact, Richmond is one of the few of the old suburban clubs that still has it's membership heartland in the suburb of Richmond. North Melbourne didn't have that. Much of North and West Melbourne was industrial zoned (still is actually). People may have worked in North Melbourne, but they lived in Essendon, Footscray, Carlton, or Collingwood.

So which is it, geographic expansion possibilities or residential capacity locally?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Chifley posted:

So which is it, geographic expansion possibilities or residential capacity locally?

Both. I'm saying you need one or the other, North had neither. Also total lack of success prior to 1970s probs didnt help.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ZombieJesus posted:

North is the team I would least miss, after gold coast

I put norf above other teams for two reasons. (1) I love seeing teams that I dont barrack for falling just short, again and again, and (2) IIRC they dont have pokies which is a good thing because pokies are loving evil.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I'm pretty pumped about the mad Monday costumes. Can Paddy top his 2016 form? Hard to see it.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
https://twitter.com/TroyHallam

Melboourns

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Windmill Hut posted:

Our membership motto is more or less "from port melbourne to portsea" which encompasses a pretty large scale area.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

Over the last 10 years there has been a push to relocate Melbourne’s grade cricket teams to the outer suburbs/growth corridors, both to attract players in areas with growing populations and so that AFL teams don’t have to share facilities. Richmond Cricket Club has moved to Glen Waverley, South Melbourne to Casey, Hawthorn to Monash and Kingston,and North Melbourne to Greenvale.

My point is they should send the football team to Greenvale and let the cricket club have Arden Street back.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Send North to Hobart, send the Gold Coast to Launceston, give Hawthorn 5mil a year to make up for the fact you're taking the Tasmania money away because gently caress you that's why, problems solved.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I wouldn't mind reading a bird's-eye history on how team support spread (or failed to spread) over time throughout the state. I live in the north-east suburbs which are a hodgepodge of different Victorian supporters, though with Coll, Ess, Rich and Carlton dominating.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Support seems to be more hereditary than geographic, at least as far as the Victorian clubs goes, or in cases like mine, you liked the colours or wanted to follow the same (or different) team as your mates (and also glory chasing, ha ha.) I think I've have to get the ABS to check out that weird phenomena where Collingwood families always seem to have that one kid who follows St Kilda.

Having said that, since that other southern club took wing, Hawthorn and St Kilda have traditionally had the whole south of the Yarra to themselves, bolstered by that period where they shared Waverley as a home ground. (Maybe a bit of blowover for the Dees into Toorak and Praaaaaan.)

We do have more Norf fans up here but that's more to do with this being their old country zone, and that factor seems to have diminished. The suburban zones got really weird in the latter years because as the city grew outwards they just sort of added bits wherever. Might have been some gerrymandering involved.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The regional zones made no sense to me at all. Footscray gets Gippsland while St Kilda gets Ballarat? So Footscray would stretch to about Deer Park or Melton and then suddenly it turns into St. Kilda territory?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Pretty sure the Saints account for around 20% of the total memberships in that St Kilda to Sorrento coastal region.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Testekill posted:

The regional zones made no sense to me at all. Footscray gets Gippsland while St Kilda gets Ballarat? So Footscray would stretch to about Deer Park or Melton and then suddenly it turns into St. Kilda territory?
Yeah, that's how the Saints got Lockett to begin with. Anyway I think there was a lot of politics and skulduggery involved in how the lines were drawn.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Yeah surely as far as supporters go, geographical location is antiquated. The only things is can hinder are things like whether you can easily get to the home ground for open training sessions and maybe how likely someone from your club will turn up at a junior footy league session. You'd think it'd be a minimal factor in who you choose to support, especially in Melbourne these days.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Lonergan a late out for the Cats. Rhys Stanley replaces him.

RIP Cats. Buddy to kick 10.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

At least one of these teams has to lose tonight.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Deadly Hume posted:

At least one of these teams has to lose tonight.

I'd prefer both tbh

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

I'd prefer both tbh

I'd be down for another extra time final

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

If Sydney are not to be laughed out of the competition they have to win. But again, they're beatable at the G. I just hope its not a walkover.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ewe2 posted:

If Sydney are not to be laughed out of the competition they have to win. But again, they're beatable at the G. I just hope its not a walkover.

Grueling. Long, grueling, and to as many extra times as are in the rules.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
don't touch danger

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
When even the 7 commentary team are telling the umpires to go easy on the Dangerfield frees, you know there's a problem

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's a disgusting 50

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
This umpiring is stupidly technical for a final, making an unattractive match even less so

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
When did Dangerfield become a key forward?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Lol Sydney

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Sydney will come back I reckon. Will be a close game

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Swans should put someone on Dangerfield imo

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Pretty deplorable first half from Sydney

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I hope Sydney make it a contest, Geelong strolling it would be boring and the Sydney supporters I know may do themselves harm.

And re: the club supporter bases, it was here that somebody posted the work Richmond did (in a video) to investigate which suburbs to target for supporters? Interesting data analysis all for the purposes of footy :v: but they looked at where young supporters moved to away from central Melbourne as they got older and had kids, and other locations that matched the demographics they were most interested in. They changed around the suburbs they targeted for things like open training, and it helped to grow their support membership base massively.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

If Sydney don't charge out of the gate right after HT this game is gonna be over PDQ.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Adelaide v Richmond GF looking good though. The two most deranged fanbases in footy yesssss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Honestly if Dangerfield hauls Geelong into a prelim it's going to be super disappointing as it addresses zero of the issues the Cats have had all year. I mean Sydney need to figure out how to come back from 6 goals down but drat if they aren't a much better balanced side overall.

• Locked thread