Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Destiny is definitely still pretty much an edgelord kind-of-Libertarian in the vein of Bill Maher. He just realized the hard right turn a lot of people (especially young dudes in gaming) were taking and started calling it out so he automatically became a communist SJW libcuck. I'd say his defacto alignment with people on the left has probably softened him and changed his mind on some things but if the hard right weren't so prevalent now he'd probably be whining about SJWs and yelling the word human being every 5 minutes on his stream still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Destiny is definitely still pretty much an edgelord kind-of-Libertarian in the vein of Bill Maher. He just realized the hard right turn a lot of people (especially young dudes in gaming) were taking and started calling it out so he automatically became a communist SJW libcuck. I'd say his defacto alignment with people on the left has probably softened him and changed his mind on some things but if the hard right weren't so prevalent now he'd probably be whining about SJWs and yelling the word human being every 5 minutes on his stream still.

Destiny is however the most effective and aggressive talker who knows how to pick apart those stupid retards like Carl and Jontron, he is by far the best person to have as a debater because not only is he very informed and does the research he's the right kind of uncompromising rear end in a top hat type with solid logic and reasoning and a very pragmatic outlook. I think a lot of left wingers should learn from the way he reasons and talks and apply it when trying to talk to idiots on the right.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dapper_Swindler posted:

No have you ever read his twitter? He does that poo poo all the time. And "fake" gamer gamer gate bullshit wasn't my point, my point was he was a giant shithead who has terrible opinions about most things except for basic left wing concepts. Other good critics have good socialy and fiscally left views and arn't weird shitheads. You don't need to defend him just because he is a liberal.

I follow movieBob and he feels like someone most goons in this thread would get along with and isn't a lovely person; what particular tweets are you complaining about? Examples?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Al-Saqr posted:

Destiny is however the most effective and aggressive talker who knows how to pick apart those stupid retards like Carl and Jontron, he is by far the best person to have as a debater because not only is he very informed and does the research he's the right kind of uncompromising rear end in a top hat type with solid logic and reasoning and a very pragmatic outlook. I think a lot of left wingers should learn from the way he reasons and talks and apply it when trying to talk to idiots on the right.

Dunno why anyone tries to debate him in bad faith, its like throwing yourself off a cliff

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Destiny is a great at debating which makes for good entertainment but I would never emulate his approach in actual politics. Owning people is all great fun on the internet but back over in reality political debate, when it's not on TV, is virtually constituted of hundreds of thousands of one-to-one individual discussions and if you're of the mindset that you're winning a discussion then you've already lost. Debate is great for convincing other people that someone is an idiot, or as in the case of Jontron showing that he's a repugnant monster, but nothing in that debate actually convinced Jontron himself to change his mind.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

I follow movieBob and he feels like someone most goons in this thread would get along with and isn't a lovely person; what particular tweets are you complaining about? Examples?

He has called for the suspension of democracy so that intelligent and reasonable people can fix American society by force and believes that trump voters are genetically inferior and deserve to be left to die.

He's basically a nazi who thinks he aligns left because he focuses on hating poor people who happen to be white republicans.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Bob also made a weird tweet where he regretted that nazis and fascists co-opted eugenics. Dude may be decent enough as a critic(with a wonky taste tbh), but politically he's a crazy person.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

business hammocks posted:

He has called for the suspension of democracy so that intelligent and reasonable people can fix American society by force and believes that trump voters are genetically inferior and deserve to be left to die.

He's basically a nazi who thinks he aligns left because he focuses on hating poor people who happen to be white republicans.

Aside from that's not what a Nazi means; I can see situations where musing about the appeal of a benevolent technocratic dictatorship is appropriate and possibly reading a little too much from it. Overall watching the Big Picture I get the sense he doesn't want American democracy destroyed and is a proud American from Boston, that's literally the tag line for GameOverthinker is "Proud to be an American"; I think given the insanity of the Trump era an outburst of frustration can be forgiven.

e: Like as a science fiction nerd one idea I had is what if we had a Soviet Command Economy run by AI's to eliminate the human failings from that system to maximize overall productivity and happiness of the people and minimize corruption. Nerds like to speculate all sorts of escapist ideas for society.

Archer666 posted:

Bob also made a weird tweet where he regretted that nazis and fascists co-opted eugenics. Dude may be decent enough as a critic(with a wonky taste tbh), but politically he's a crazy person.

I know there's a thing about singularity folks I find interesting about parents having the ability to customize the look and appearance of their children as the logical consumer end point of embryo gene therapy filtering out downs syndrome and stuff, these things all can be from a certain point of view be called eugenics. Is it more along the lines of that or spouting nonsense regarding Idiocracy?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 14, 2017

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

I know there's a thing about singularity folks I find interesting about parents having the ability to customize the look and appearance of their children as the logical consumer end point of embryo gene therapy filtering out downs syndrome and stuff, these things all can be from a certain point of view be called eugenics. Is it more along the lines of that or spouting nonsense regarding Idiocracy?

I
Using his own words, its his solution to "overpopulation"/"too many stupid people is bad" problems. So its less of your options and more 'Lets Make Some Ubermensch'

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Archer666 posted:

Bob's the kind of person who watched Idiocracy and said "Hmm, this seems like a cool and good basis for my core political beliefs".

Watch through some of his earlier videos, dude was hardcore Libertarian Right, bragging about it every other video. He's still the same lovely person, except he occasionally sprouts the occasional easy progressive opinion so people forgive him for some reason.

Edit: Let's call this Seth Macfarline Liberalism, for when someone's a deeply lovely person with deeply lovely opinions but they said weed and Gays are okay so they're good.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

Bob's the kind of person who watched Idiocracy and said "Hmm, this seems like a cool and good basis for my core political beliefs".

Watch through some of his earlier videos, dude was hardcore Libertarian Right, bragging about it every other video. He's still the same lovely person, except he occasionally sprouts the occasional easy progressive opinion so people forgive him for some reason.

Dudes just trying to suck up to people in the hope of getting ahead. Its kind of sad to see him latch onto any outrage, as all he'll do is regurgitate the same points as his more popular colleagues so they'll give him the time of day.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Granted I am giving quite the large benefit of the doubt, but this is mainly because based on largely following him since slightly before he signed on to the Escapist I feel in my gut that he isn't a bad person and is largely a reliably progressive ally who says some interesting things and is generally entertaining so with that disclaimer out of the way.

Archer666 posted:

I
Using his own words, its his solution to "overpopulation"/"too many stupid people is bad" problems. So its less of your options and more 'Lets Make Some Ubermensch'

That is dumb, but a lot of 'smart' people got taken in by Idiocracy rubbish, but that doesn't strike me as consistent with the view of:

quote:

No have you ever read his twitter? He does that poo poo all the time. And "fake" gamer gamer gate bullshit wasn't my point, my point was he was a giant shithead who has terrible opinions about most things except for basic left wing concepts. Other good critics have good socialy and fiscally left views and arn't weird shitheads. You don't need to defend him just because he is a liberal.

The question I would ask is, do you feel like he would double down on this if presented with a nuanced well expressed credible argument about how what he feels is the problem isn't the real problem or the proper solution and so on? I get the strong sense that if I had DM'd him and said "Well actually we have many solutions regarding overpopulation... (Lists solutions) etc, he would be interested and open to that.

Like many of us in D&D do commonly hold fairly dim views of Trump/Republican voters but they tend to be more rooted from Marxist principles, while Bob probably just sees a lot of people he feels should know better, aren't doing better, ergo they must be dumb. If they're just naturally dumb, then how do you deal with that? It's easy to be frustrated and easy to vent, and hard to be optimistic and work towards solutions; a lot of this very forum I feel has the same frustrations.

So what I'm getting at here, decent smart people I think are allowed to be occasionally dumb, call them out on being dumb, but borderline character assassination without much backing it is bad.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Visidan posted:

Dunno why anyone tries to debate him in bad faith, its like throwing yourself off a cliff

Because no matter how bad they are in the debate their fanbase always comes away saying Destiny got trounced. Kind of like the Trump/Clinton debates. He basically poo poo all over the floor every time and his base still thought he won every debate.

kalam
Oct 30, 2010

Archer666 posted:

Destiny did a lot of bad poo poo.

Sure its fun to watch him debate with absolute idiots but the guy's pretty much just as bad as they are.

Moviebob is just as bad as the usual suspects, except that he's on the left side.

The context to this quote is a pro SC2 player called Orb said that phrase and caused a lot of controversy. He's making fun of Orb's teammate by quoting it back to him. Still an edgy thing to do but not as edgy as people are making it out, as if he just throws that insult out randomly.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

kalam posted:

The context to this quote is a pro SC2 player called Orb said that phrase and caused a lot of controversy. He's making fun of Orb's teammate by quoting it back to him. Still an edgy thing to do but not as edgy as people are making it out, as if he just throws that insult out randomly.

Oh, so he only occasionally uses racial slurs. Well that's changes everything!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

boner confessor posted:

i wasn't aware roger ebert filmed himself watching a whole movie and talking over it

It's called a commentary track, and he did it for Dark City and I think Citizen Kane

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I Before E posted:

It's called a commentary track, and he did it for Dark City and I think Citizen Kane

He's done more than a few. It's how some company was able to synthesize his voice after he lost it.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I only know destiny from sc2 and he was an embodiment of everything that makes multiplayer gaming communities miserable, hostile, and bad. He would join a team, say vile (racist, homophobic, misogynist) poo poo, get kicked, and then another team would pick him up and the same thing would happen again. He was a bad player and never won or accomplished anything of note other than garnering a large audience of 13 year old "they're just woooords" losers.

He was a lovely person online, and in the real world (see above re: groping, spreading nudes w/o permission, etc.), and never apologized for any of it. It's been weird seeing this thread slob his knob for "debating" morons.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Martian Manfucker posted:

He was a lovely person online, and in the real world (see above re: groping, spreading nudes w/o permission, etc.), and never apologized for any of it. It's been weird seeing this thread slob his knob for "debating" morons.

Super weird because after the first video people were saying he was a lovely debater but at least he was on the right side. Not sure where the "he's mega awesome at this" is coming from.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

if these people would do the same with me i'd do a lot better than destiny. he really isn't all that well read on the topics they debate it's just jaytray and carl are loving morons.

it's funny tho he called a black girl an uncle tom on twitter and all the right wing shitlords came to her defend against his slur. she actually is an uncle tom tho.

business hammocks posted:

believes that trump voters are genetically inferior and deserve to be left to die.

this is true tho (keep in mind trump won thanks to well-off white folk).

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 14, 2017

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's funny tho he called a black girl an uncle tom on twitter and all the right wing shitlords came to her defend against his slur. she actually is an uncle tom tho.

This girl spent 10-20 minutes on video describing saying she's cool with being called uncle tom and she's proud of that, and also, when confronted with how her videos are being used by white racists and ethnonationalists and alt-righters to excuse their lovely racism the excuse she gave was the typical " that's their business to interpret my vids, not mine" She also thinks BLM is a horror movement of violent thugs.

Like this is exactly the kind of person Malcolm X would describe and disparage. Literally the kind of person Opponents of MLK would trot out against his civil rights marches.

Me Personally I think destiny was wrong to call her an uncle tom because I think it's a really lovely thing to call someone, and just saying that she's a loving idiot turncoat wouldve been far better.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 14, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Super weird because after the first video people were saying he was a lovely debater but at least he was on the right side. Not sure where the "he's mega awesome at this" is coming from.

The last 8 months or so starting with the Jontron debate.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

Me Personally I think destiny was wrong to call her an uncle tom because I think it's a really lovely thing to call someone, and just saying that she's a loving idiot turncoat wouldve been far better.

yeah i would never actually call someone an "uncle tom" but she's the dictionary definition.

she even retweeted larry elder saying uncle tom is worse than n word because you're telling black people not to think independently lmao

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Yeah, the last time I remember hearing about him until he started debating alt-right people was how often he kept doubling down on being a racist rear end in a top hat back in 2011-12. Dude loved being edgy back then.

Maybe he grew up?

It seems like he's growing up a little? I don't know much about him outside of his debates, but I have heard him discuss trying to get out of the habit of using "retard" as a put down.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

MiddleOne posted:

The last 8 months or so starting with the Jontron debate.

A wet paper bag could have trounced Jontron. Destiny still is doing right in these debates, but he's still bad at it.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Did you guys see him debate the Pharmabro? Was that any good? I avoided watching it cause Destiny's a bit more questionable on the economics side.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am-wMjclso0

Just up and man, where do these people come from?

I mean for all the massive hardons for "western culture" that right wing types profess they seriously have no clue when it comes to arguing rationally in the western philosophical style.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's because to them, arguing rationally in the western philosophical style means 'white dudes win woooo', and any case where they don't means 'postmodernism invented by Jews boooo'.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I cant watch more of these it's too painful, this idiot gets 20k a month on patreon.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
I struggled through Destiny's debate with NoBullshit earlier today, & it was absolutely ridiculous

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

ChristopherRobin posted:

Because no matter how bad they are in the debate their fanbase always comes away saying Destiny got trounced. Kind of like the Trump/Clinton debates. He basically poo poo all over the floor every time and his base still thought he won every debate.

Pretty much, I checked Dick Masterons reddit and they were all congratulating him for "getting destiny" if you actually listen to it he had absolutely no idea what Trump had said about the judge with Mexican parents or what La Raza means. He just got flustered and called destiny short when apparently they're the same height

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Al-Saqr posted:

I mean that's already what the phrase means but in a harsher way, I guess you can argue don't use it unless you're part of the same group and so have the proper positioning to throw it at someone, but it's a hateful phrase and it's meant to be for a good reason. Like in some other thread before I had a goon try to scold me for calling Caitlyn Jenner an uncle tom, up until I said I'm trans too and have more than enough insight to call them that, because it's the perfect phrase for people like them. A horrible token minority that pretends they're some ambassador or sane voice from "their side", supporting people and things, whether up front or passively, that might as well have a siren on them for how obvious it is they're not on their side.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am-wMjclso0

Just up and man, where do these people come from?

I mean for all the massive hardons for "western culture" that right wing types profess they seriously have no clue when it comes to arguing rationally in the western philosophical style.

I just started listening to this and it's kind of hilarious that Destiny took the "I'm the rational one here, you're all about feelings" because that's such a classic right-wing way of arguing.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Just read the last seven days of his twitter feed, and the only position that strikes me as different from ours is defending Hillary Clinton. Nothing about culling stupid people. :shrug:

Raenir Salazar posted:

Granted I am giving quite the large benefit of the doubt, but this is mainly because based on largely following him since slightly before he signed on to the Escapist I feel in my gut that he isn't a bad person and is largely a reliably progressive ally who says some interesting things and is generally entertaining so with that disclaimer out of the way.

So what I'm getting at here, decent smart people I think are allowed to be occasionally dumb, call them out on being dumb, but borderline character assassination without much backing it is bad.

:same:

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

it shaun posted:

I struggled through Destiny's debate with NoBullshit earlier today, & it was absolutely ridiculous

anyone who makes it through that video in full honestly deserves a medal. congrats on surviving

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

it shaun posted:

please make a video about it

well ok idc that much I just like your videos :allears:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

please make a video about it

well ok idc that much I just like your videos :allears:

Is that the Shaun? :monocle:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Moviebob's morals are more or less identical to any given techbro, except he doesn't like explicit sexism or racism. So slightly better than a normal techbro. He still thinks everyone who is poor deserves to die, everyone who lacks education deserves to die (ignoring this is usually tied to race), everyone whose job becomes obselete deserves to die. He is the exact sort of Futurist that helped fascists come to power in Italy.

I mean he likes Elon Musk.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 15, 2017

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Is that the Shaun? :monocle:

No, for there is more than one Shaun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Terrible Opinions posted:

He is the exact sort of Futurist that helped fascists come to power in Italy.
So is he super skilled at something else or does he believe that under Full Futurismo he will still be allowed to live because he talks over movies?

• Locked thread