Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:( but Chris told me they were, why would He, the man in charge of this project which has raised 158 million dollars, vowed to treat me like a publisher, and refuses to let me look into their financial reports to see what their fiscal responsibility is like, lie to me? ME, of all people!

I was just kidding around with you, the projects on track and everything's cool :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

tooterfish posted:

I think you guys have been staring into the brown sea too long, you caught the retarded.

200 people in America and 200 people in Australia won't magically get more work done than 400 people in America because of timezones.

The devs themselves have said its caused numerous problems. No delta patcher means handing off the build requires a complete redownload. Communication and language issues for another.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Tippis posted:

The whole idea also assumes that the actual work can be continuous and that the workers are fungible. This works for for some businesses — financial services or some type of research for instance. “Keep selling stock X” or “keep track of FCOJ prices” or “keep tracking signals from HIP 63835” or the aforementioned “have you tried turning it off and on again?” can be done at any hour of the day, and the next guy just keeps going where the last one stopped. It doesn't really work for a thought process, and that's pretty much what all development and artistry is.

It assumes a process of “while X is sleeping, Y can keep coding or designing feature ß; while Y is sleeping, X can do the same”. But what's actually happening is “while X is sleeping, Y is working feature ß; while Y is sleeping, X is working on feature α”. There is no continuity between the two that can or need to be maintained. There is no gain between that and having X and Y work on α and ß respectively during the exact same stretch of time.

So even if CIG could pull off the coordination required for proper continuity, the nature of their business has no continuity to coordinate to begin with. Sure, you could get some minor benefits from scheduling hand-offs between teams in such a way that they get exactly what they need for their part of the process just as they get to the office, but that just amounts to a couple of hours once a month, rather than the 3× increase in productivity that a 24h-chain is meant to provide over regular office hours. Once we add in the coordination costs, that benefit is pretty much instantly lost anyway and even that hypothetical ideal 3× increase will have been reduced to maybe 2×.

There is probably one benefit that is not lost on the Crobblers and his inner circle. Multiple offices mean all expense paid travels and housing allowance. The backers will never know.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

meanwhile somewhere in Ghent, Belgium another successful Kickstarter game will be released today sans power outage lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0JgWa21jQY

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

BloodyScab posted:

The devs themselves have said its caused numerous problems. No delta patcher means handing off the build requires a complete redownload. Communication and language issues for another.

I've just learned about this fact recently so it's still in the "what the gently caress" stage in my mind, but seriously, what the gently caress? Even if the game is really good, I wouldn't redownload ~60GB file everytime there's an update. Absolute nonsense of a higher order, who thinks this was a good idea?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

I was just kidding around with you, the projects on track and everything's cool :)

Oh, thank you random goon, if it wasn't for your words I would never get the scoop on what CIG/RSI are up to!

Welp, guess I better go back to posting on reddit, where everyone working on Star Citizen obviously visits all the time and I can fantasize on other, cooler stuff, like how the economy will work.

Yeah, CIG hasn't had a in-depth post on the economy for like... 3 years, so what?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I have spent the last 3+ years wondering how anyone can see the clear evidence that the PU provides and still have faith that "Chris Roberts can do it if we just keep funding this", so no other questions of how or why anything is done really bothers me.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

toanoradian posted:

I've just learned about this fact recently so it's still in the "what the gently caress" stage in my mind, but seriously, what the gently caress? Even if the game is really good, I wouldn't redownload ~60GB file everytime there's an update. Absolute nonsense of a higher order, who thinks this was a good idea?

This is probably the most obvious example of CIG not really giving a gently caress about backers money that you can point at and it's a real thing.
God knows how much wasted bandwidth costs this causes every day, and it's money straight down the drain. So either something is very very wrong and preventing a delta patcher being made or CIG really are maliciously incompetent. Either way it's awesome.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

starkebn posted:

I have spent the last 3+ years wondering how anyone can see the clear evidence that the PU provides and still have faith that "Chris Roberts can do it if we just keep funding this", so no other questions of how or why anything is done really bothers me.

No, you see, it was in that one ATV, you know the one with Ben in it, and they said something about that. What? Oh yeah, yeah they said that thing and it was about the mechanics of Star Citizen. Don't worry, though, it set my mind at ease and, therefore, you don't need to worry about it because I'm a backer since 2007 and I have more skin in this game so, if anyone is going to worry about something, it would be me! Haha. So anyways, Ben said that thing about the mechanic and its right. around. the. corner. But they've got some blockers so don't expect it too soon, things like that shouldn't be rushed. Anyways, keep checking out their ATV stuff, its great and totally fills in all the blanks, and you should watch ALL of the ATV episodes from start to finish because they are great so I won't link anything specific.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
O7

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

09//

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

peter gabriel posted:

This is probably the most obvious example of CIG not really giving a gently caress about backers money that you can point at and it's a real thing.
God knows how much wasted bandwidth costs this causes every day, and it's money straight down the drain. So either something is very very wrong and preventing a delta patcher being made or CIG really are maliciously incompetent. Either way it's awesome.

Sounds to me like you're revelling in the misfortune and ineptitude of others....Now I don't know where the hell do you think you are my good man, but that kind of thing isn't tolerated around here.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
SC cultists make eve players who think that it's okay to threaten to cut off people's hands as long as you're a content creator look balanced and reasonable in comparison. The diehard crazies who post about derek every day are legit unhinged and as people have said multiple times, the failure of this project will lead to some self-harm and/or serious anger management issues.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Have you ever left work to drive home because you left your coffee on the kitchen counter? Because I just did that.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

aleksendr posted:

Some MMOs economy are worth more than 3rd world nation GDP.

A serious guild with dedicated players could credibly make bank if they invest time in a successfull game. I used to sold EQ items on the web, getting paid by western union money transfer and while not getting rich, it did pay for some fun stuff, beer and rig upgrades. I have no doubt some people with a lot of free time and decent rigs could band up and try to make money on the top games allowing for it.

I getcha man but those games exist. Anyone setting up a corporation and planning to make the big bucks for a game that's years (and years and years) from release is broke brained.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

aleksendr posted:

Ultimately they had to slow everyone down to bring the lighter mechs max speed within the limit the netcode could handle.

CCP ran into the same problem, when an officer fit Crusader could top out at 16,000 m/s in Eve Online. They had to rebalanced the speeds down to something slightly less ludicrous because of the distance covered between ticks introduced fairly large errors.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I read Masters of Doom based on some recommendations earlier in the thread and it was a good read. There were some parallels between CIG/Roberts and Ion Storm/Romero. Extravagant offices, "design is law" (~~~dreams~~~), complete disregard for what was actually possible with the technology available at the time, office drama, leaks, press turning on them. The major difference is that Romero eventually released a game. Romero also seems like a genuine person with his own, original ideas. Romero also has charisma and luxurious hair. The biggest difference is that Romero actually learned from his mistakes.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
That $45,000 refund has caused a huge number of other refunds since (which were already elevated after Gamescom), I think it's been a wakeup call and started a bit of a cascade

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

RubberJohnny posted:

That $45,000 refund has caused a huge number of other refunds since (which were already elevated after Gamescom), I think it's been a wakeup call and started a bit of a cascade

Are you calling ... an ELE?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:siren:

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

No doxxing me!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

RubberJohnny posted:

glad of it I am

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

PST posted:

SC cultists make eve players who think that it's okay to threaten to cut off people's hands as long as you're a content creator look balanced and reasonable in comparison.

There was that alliance in the Drone regions that was looking for someone to chainsaw the mains supply of a rival alliance that one time.

MMOs are a great way to reach out and touch people that you'd otherwise cross the street to avoid. It's why I tend to stay around the safety of Goon groups, because at least they're nominatively 'normal'. There are always exceptions.

big nipples big life posted:

Have you ever left work to drive home because you left your coffee on the kitchen counter? Because I just did that.

That's either some drat good coffee or a short commute.

peter gabriel posted:

glad of it I am

The end, near it is.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Toblakai posted:

Are you calling ... an ELE?

I see none has actually called it, so I will call it. Neener neener.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

*rushes into thread, out of breath*

c...called it!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

*rushes into thread, out of breath*

c...called it!

^^^^^^^^ sucker

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

That's either some drat good coffee or a short commute.

The coffee is good but I only live about 3/4 of a mile from the office. Took 5 minutes.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Toops posted:

So if I'm reading this right...

Why did anyone at any point expect honesty, respect, or like, a game? Chris Roberts has a near-perfect history of tripping over his own dick, never finishing anything, pissing off the people who pay him, and bankrupting companies, And here it is right here, in writing.

My best guess would be because when he began, the project was just Freelancer/Privateer where you could walk around a planet location or big ship. It wasn't too crazy or off the wall until money happened.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

just remember, the full Dr Dr Derek Smart definition of an ELE is not an immediate collapse but a years long collapse with multiple opportunities to say "called it"

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
lol if you haven't killed everyone in your Steam friends list

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

starkebn posted:

just remember, the full Dr Dr Derek Smart definition of an ELE is not an immediate collapse but a years long collapse with multiple opportunities to say "called it"

If another jr programmer leaves it could be the final tipping point that causes CIG to end in a fiery explosion.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

big nipples big life posted:

If another jr programmer leaves it could be the final tipping point that causes CIG to end in a fiery explosion.

The tipping point is when someone gets up off a couch they are sharing with Ben

Ben fat

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

RubberJohnny posted:

Check this theory:

The $45,000 refund was not real. I mean, it **was**, but it was not some random person getting fed up, it was orchestrated by CIG. This is their exit plan in action. They are going to announce their closing soon and blame it on this (staged) refund causing a cascade event.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

The Titanic posted:

My best guess would be because when he began, the project was just Freelancer/Privateer where you could walk around a planet location or big ship. It wasn't too crazy or off the wall until money happened.
I really want to believe that at least the original intentions were good-willed, but Crobblers history and current devolution of his project supports otherwise.

RubberJohnny posted:

Maybe a few popular pc game related sites will report on this as well. It is a report-worthy amount of a refund for a project that the press is a hair's breadth away from tearing it down as the scam that it is.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

The tipping point is when someone gets up off a couch they are sharing with Ben

Ben fat

I thought the tipping point was a butter-to-weight ratio that calculated how much was/should be added to any given meal :confused:

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free

VictorianQueerLit posted:

If that isn't enough evidence this was 100% undeniable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

I hate you.

Tane.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Remember that time Derek got Rick Rolled and we all laughed?

:allears:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I thought the tipping point was a butter-to-weight ratio that calculated how much was/should be added to any given meal :confused:

That's slippage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

That's slippage

I'm learning so much today