Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
yeah well maybe they shouldn't have given nautical right a two syllable word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ScrubLeague posted:

i was talking about the wine, bitch

leftist whine? :confused:

cant see poo poo captain, we should go hard port, perhaps turning in that direction will take us out of the suck zone

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

ScrubLeague posted:

i was talking about the wine, bitch

you werent talkin you was postin OMG!!!!!!!!!!

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
has anyone ever noticed that the big red spot looks like a butt hole

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Office Pig posted:

yeah well maybe they shouldn't have given nautical right a two syllable word
why does that matter

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

ScrubLeague posted:

no cuz idr what a butthole looks like i aint got eyes in the back of my mouth!~

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
me... i'm more of a pale blue dot kinda guy (shoutouts to my boy carl sags)

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

no cuz idr what a butthole looks like i aint got eyes in the back of my mouth!~

JUST LOOK AT THE THING FROM WHENCE UR POSTS COME!!!!!!

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
because starboard sucks

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ScrubLeague posted:

there's a lightly colored ring just on the cusp of the red part there

just sayin

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ScrubLeague posted:

might want to see a doctor

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
jupiter is the prehistoric goatse and we could only hope to recreate something go magnificent

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

ScrubLeague posted:

JUST LOOK AT THE THING FROM WHENCE UR POSTS COME!!!!!!

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

safely sodomized posted:

might want to see a (((doctor)))

no thanks i trust in the lord

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

no ring

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Secret Protocols of The Elders of Zion, but every instance of Jew is replaced with Berniebro.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

lock her rear end up

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Has Sanders actually said anything bad about Clinton recently other than “let’s put 2016 behind us because we have a lot of work to do”?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Significant Ant posted:

Has Sanders actually said anything bad about Clinton recently other than “let’s put 2016 behind us because we have a lot of work to do”?

Wanting to change the subject a woman brought up is morally the same as beating her with a bat while screaming "Shut up you oval office!"

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich
lmao even liberal mouthwash papers are turning on her

https://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/the-politics-of-bernie-sanderss-medicare-for-all-bill

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Those in jokes aren't funny and I like this thread

It doesn't have the stench of people who think Hillary was a good candidate, so basically it's one of the few good threads in this forum

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

has anyone seen any higher profile media dems support or say anything about bernie's bill? after a quick scan, none of the pod save america dudes have tweeted anything about it today, nor has neera, joy has only tweeted negative things (unrealistic), chait wrote an article saying i sucks, etc

any high profile knees bend today other than the co sponsors?

they're all gonna quietly ignore it. if someone presses them on it, they'll dodge the question by pointing out how it won't pass anyway with a Republican majority

lmao that the narrative has shifted from "you can't assume that the US can do government healthcare just because those other countries do it, the US is special and unique and different so things that work elsewhere can't work here" to "single-payer can't work, look at how many other countries don't have total single-payer"

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Remember when you said she's a nice grandma?

pretend I posted Arnold-Commando-I-Lied.gif here because I can't seem to figure out the internet today.

Zerg Mans has issued a correction as of 14:43 on Sep 14, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
People's Policy Project: The Contents Of The New Medicare-For-All Bill

quote:

Senator Sanders released his updated Medicare-for-all bill yesterday. Below is a simple summary of the general contents of the proposal.

Coverage Areas

The bill requires coverage of hospital services, ambulatory patient services, primary and preventive services, prescription drugs, medical devices, mental health services, substance abuse services, laboratory and diagnostic services, reproductive care, maternity care, newborn care, pediatrics, dental, vision, and short term rehabilitative services. Notably, the bill does not include long-term care, but Sanders has reportedly said long-term care would be handled in a separate bill.

This is a generous coverage universe, but it is not unheard of. Critics tend to roll their eyes at the inclusion of vision, dental, and prescription drugs. But Denmark’s public system covers all of those areas with some cost-sharing.

Cost-Sharing

The bill forbids cost-sharing for anything but prescription drugs. This means that there would be no deductibles, no coinsurance, no copayments, or other kinds of out-of-pocket expenses. The details of the prescription drug cost-sharing are mostly left to the regulators to work out, but there is a requirement that no individual be subjected to more than $250 of cost-sharing in a given year.

Transition

Those under the age of 19 would be enrolled immediately into the Medicare system. These individuals would be allowed to maintain their private health insurance in addition to their Medicare coverage during the four-year transition period. After that transition is over, there is a provision forbidding private insurance from duplicating the coverage provided by Medicare, which would effectively kill off any private insurance maintained by children up to that point.

For those over the age of 18, eligibility to enroll will be phased-in over four years. After year one, those 55 and over will be eligible. After year two, those 45 and over will be eligible. After year three, those 35 and over will be eligible. And after year four, everyone will be eligible. During that four-year period, adults will also have the ability to buy in to Medicare on the exchanges or if their employer chooses to offer it as an option.

Funding

The bill would bring in existing federal expenditures on healthcare made for Medicare, Medicaid, the Federal Employee Health Benefits program, TRICARE, and other smaller programs.

In addition to the bill, Sanders released a paper with tax proposals that are intended to provide the remainder of the funding. The proposals are:

1. A 7.5 percent employer-side payroll tax. This tax is intended to impound the money employers currently pump into the healthcare sector through private insurance premiums.

2. A 4 percent income tax surcharge. This tax is intended to impound the money individuals currently pump into the healthcare sector through private insurance premiums. Because the tax is being collected through the federal income tax code, the standard deduction can be applied towards it, meaning that families making less than $29,000 would pay nothing, and families making $50,000 would pay just $844 per year, far less than they currently pay in private insurance premiums.

3. Higher income taxes on the very rich. The plan calls for creating more tax brackets for higher earners with marginal tax rates spanning from 40 percent for income made between $250,000 and $500,000 to 52 percent for income made over $10 million.

4. Elimination of capital gains preference. Currently capital gains are taxed at a lower rate than ordinary income. This reform would tax capital gains as ordinary income.

5. Capping deductions for the very rich. For households with incomes over $250,000, the value of particular itemized deductions would be capped at 28 percent. Currently the value of an itemized deduction is based on your highest marginal tax rate. So, someone whose highest marginal tax rate is 39.6 percent would receive 39.6 cents of value for every 1 dollar of tax deduction they claim. Under this reform, high-income families would only be able to receive at most 28 cents of value for every 1 dollar of tax deduction.

6. Increase the estate tax. Under this proposal, the current 40 percent estate tax would be replaced with a progressive estate tax with rates ranging from 45 to 65 percent. There would be a 0 percent rate for the first $3.5 million (single person) or $7 million (married couple) of an estate.

7. A 1 percent wealth tax for wealth over $21 million. This would mean wealthy individuals would have to annually add up their net worth and pay 1 percent of any net worth exceeding $21 million to the government.

8. Close S-Corp dividend loophole. There is not much detail as to how, but the proposal is to make it harder for business owners to abuse S-corp status to report what is really ordinary labor income as dividends. It is worth noting that if the capital gains preference is eliminated (another of the proposals), this would not be strictly necessary.

9. Tax offshore profits. This would apply the corporate tax to money corporations are currently holding “offshore” to avoid paying tax on it. This would be a one time thing.

10. A 0.07 percent tax on big financial institutions. Particularly, the proposal calls for a 0.07 percent tax on the covered liabilities of financial institutions with $50 billion or more of total assets.

11. Change treatment of corporate inventories. This would forbid the last-in, first-out accounting method that allows corporations to overstate the cost of their inventories in order to claim a lower profit and pay less tax.

BERNIE!!!!

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

quote:

7. A 1 percent wealth tax for wealth over $21 million. This would mean wealthy individuals would have to annually add up their net worth and pay 1 percent of any net worth exceeding $21 million to the government. 

oh poo poo this rules

seriously how did he sneak that in there lmao

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Ytlaya posted:

It's actually kinda interesting in a way just how incredibly distraught a lot of liberals are about being forced to leave their "we're the good guys battling the evil Republicans" safe space. Like, I can even understand where they're coming from; I enjoyed discussing politics back in high school and college because it was just kinda fun to dunk on Bush and other dumb Republicans. There was never any question about the fact that they were actually terrible, so you never really had to question your own views. But now they're being attacked from a different direction and don't really know what to make of it. In many cases, it seems like the only thing they can think of to do is just assume that the leftists are also evil (if not literally crypto-conservatives or Russian plants), because it's the only way to stay in their intellectual safe space.

Truth. A couple weeks ago, I moved back North, from Miami, where I dealt with a long string of predatory pure capitalist bosses who were convinced of their righteousness as they screwed over workers and talked as though they were doing people a favor.

They were also bigshot party donors who used charities as tax loopholes and promo events- go figure.

Sisters and Brothers: Embrace one another! Free yourselves from the cannibalistic greed of those who would sooner see you and your loved ones die than place a copper beneath your heels to keep you from drowning.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

the bitcoin of weed posted:

oh poo poo this rules

has the USA ever had a wealth tax? that was surprising to see

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

oh poo poo this rules

is that the actual text of the bill the dems are supporting? because holy lolly

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

zegermans posted:

And yet everyone says he hasnt said how to pay for it :thunk:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I read that 538 bit and for a while I was trying to empty my cup and accept their wisdom, but then I saw the al gore comparison and I started involuntarily dry heaving

that and the pathetic feigned ignorance about how Hillary Clinton could possibly have gotten trust issues, or image problems, or ever been considered arrogant in demeanor, or opportunistic in her policy stances.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
That's how the government will pay for it. How is he going to pay for it?

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
The sweeping tax reform/simplification that the GOP is pushing should make this easy to enact when we get a new Pres in 2020.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

zegermans posted:

no, the funding options are separate from the actual bill

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
You had me at :justpost:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
:cripes:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
shoulda submitted that to nuclear takes

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
are you sure that's not a fake account

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

oh poo poo this rules

the law doesn't actually say "this list of things are part of the law", it just says "these are all potential options that could potentially be done by another bill to fund this one"

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

unironically this

nice

If Nothing Matters, why post? :smuggo:

It looks like it's $200 not $250. Bernie's bill is, on the whole, much better than other nations' bills. USA! :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yes Bernie, Yes!

:bisonyes:

• Locked thread