Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

GoldfishStew posted:

Wait i only use the awful.app, do I really have that custom text? What the gently caress is wrong with you people. I didnt mind when it was just the pic

What's wrong with us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

buglord posted:

The realer solution is to leave rotation lock on, because every phone I’ve had can’t rotate properly.

Do photos and videos display properly with rotation lock on yet?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

GoldfishStew posted:

Wait i only use the awful.app, do I really have that custom text? What the gently caress is wrong with you people. I didnt mind when it was just the pic

lmao you've been walking around with a "DIPSHIT" sign on your back for months

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

So I'm looking at getting the 8 as an upgrade for my iPhone 6 which has been a workhorse but is starting to kill its second battery and has always had GPS issues.

I'm really happy with my current data plan and they have a promotion at the moment where I can get 15GB of data for $40AUD a month. Compared with Samsung plans I expect the iPhone 8 to come in at about $85-$90/month over two years. Is there any compelling reason not to just buy an unlocked phone direct from Apple and continue on my existing plan? (for that matter, can I just buy a phone without a plan?)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'd say the compelling reason is that the iPhone 8 is such an obvious optimization tier, and you can easily picture many of those X features coming to the "regular" model over the next two generations.

I'm not inclined to buy a phone for the amount of money they want for the X, but they're going "LOOK AT THESE EXPENSIVE TOYS" and that's a more compelling argument for these one-year upgrade loan policies than we had in the tick/tock days.

My 6 is three years old, and I was sold on getting an 8 at a three year deal because of that, but... gently caress.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

8 would be a no brainer if it had the oled. Maybe next year!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I'm ok with the 8 being the 5s of this form factor, the peak before they move on to something new. The X seems janky as gently caress like the one port MacBook. It'll be at least a revision or two till they get it right.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Gonna use my dying 6 battery to rationalize the X

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont want to interrupt the new device chat but I have a question about apps, specifically facebook/instagram.

I know in the past there has been dodgy practices by FB to keep the app running longer than it should be, but this one particular thing continues to happen to my girlfriends phone.

we will be having a conversation about something in our bedroom and within 24hrs she will receive an advertisement for that product in her news feed on either of those applications.

for example last night we were talking about the Kakoda trail as a friend of mine recently completed it. this conversation was obviously face to face, not on facebook messenger or anything. today she received an advertisement for Kakoda track tours on her instagram feed.

I know that people get all spergy about apps wanting access to microphone and location and poo poo like that, but I was under the impression that Apples guidelines on that were a lot more strict than androids (where its a blanket permission from the outset of the app, whereas apple devices typically limit the use of those services until you attempt to use them)

this happens frequently enough that it is of concern.

Conversely, I get absolutely zero advertising in my facbeook feed - I dont know how but I dont get any sponsored links or anything else, its all just posts from pages I follow and friends. I get ads in instagram but I dont really use that.

Looking for an answer beyond 'dont use the apps' because I honestly dont think that an app should be allowed to listen to conversations: a lot of the time the phones are asleep so its not a matter of the app being left open either.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

this is like a super old debunked thing, and it would be so hyper illegal for FB to be uploading everything you say, and so easy to find out that they're doing it, that it's pretty hilarious an actual adult that understands tech still thinks this is happening, but if you're super paranoid you can disable Facebook from accessing your microphone at all at the OS level, it's in your settings. i think the rumours started back when they implemented a short-sighted feature where if you were typing a status it would listen to tag a song you were listening to, similar to Shazam. otherwise it would only request mic access to record a video. regardless you can disable all mic access.

quote:

for example last night we were talking about the Kakoda trail as a friend of mine recently completed it. this conversation was obviously face to face, not on facebook messenger or anything. today she received an advertisement for Kakoda track tours on her instagram feed.

so people in your social media circle were talking about it on social media too probably hm?

honestly, FB might be evil, but they are experts, please give them a little bit of credit, uploading an open mic from everyone's phone would be the most obvious thing in the world. they'd rather attack you with mathematics and big data of stuff that 'loving idiots' give them by choice.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Laserface posted:

I dont want to interrupt the new device chat but I have a question about apps, specifically facebook/instagram.

I know in the past there has been dodgy practices by FB to keep the app running longer than it should be, but this one particular thing continues to happen to my girlfriends phone.

we will be having a conversation about something in our bedroom and within 24hrs she will receive an advertisement for that product in her news feed on either of those applications.

I know that people get all spergy about apps wanting access to microphone and location and poo poo like that, but I was under the impression that Apples guidelines on that were a lot more strict than androids (where its a blanket permission from the outset of the app, whereas apple devices typically limit the use of those services until you attempt to use them)

this happens frequently enough that it is of concern.

Conversely, I get absolutely zero advertising in my facbeook feed - I dont know how but I dont get any sponsored links or anything else, its all just posts from pages I follow and friends. I get ads in instagram but I dont really use that.

Looking for an answer beyond 'dont use the apps' because I honestly dont think that an app should be allowed to listen to conversations: a lot of the time the phones are asleep so its not a matter of the app being left open either.

does your friend who completed the trail also use social media? advertising will absolutely latch onto terms of pages you guys visit if you're going to use those terrible apps (does she have a content blocker for regular browsing at least?)

jumping straight to :tinfoil:they are listening to us talk:tinfoil: is probably the wrong approach here

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Pivo posted:

this is like a super old debunked thing, and it would be so hyper illegal for FB to be uploading everything you say, and so easy to find out that they're doing it, that it's pretty hilarious an actual adult that understands tech still thinks this is happening, but if you're super paranoid you can disable Facebook from accessing your microphone at all at the OS level, it's in your settings. i think the rumours started back when they implemented a short-sighted feature where if you were typing a status it would listen to tag a song you were listening to, similar to Shazam. otherwise it would only request mic access to record a video. regardless you can disable all mic access.

so people in your social media circle were talking about it on social media too probably hm?

honestly, FB might be evil, but they are experts, please give them a little bit of credit, uploading an open mic from everyone's phone would be the most obvious thing in the world. they'd rather attack you with mathematics and big data of stuff that 'loving idiots' give them by choice.

No. the guy who did the walk did not post about it at all on social media, and not only that our discussion about it was because apparently people get mugged by gangs on the trek pretty regularly, so- and this is the key - there is a lot of tour guide businesses popping up to do the trek

so we actually discussed kakoda tour guides in the presence of her iphone and it was advertised to her a day later. Neither of us are at all interested in Kakoda, and have not looked into it at all.

it happens too frequently for it to be a coincidence. I find it pretty absurd as well (and was even dismissive of that big change the android messenger app made a few years ago requesting microphone access; naturally it requires it because it has voice calling built in, it was just the way the request was presented to the user was not specifically 'for voice calls' and people got up in arms) but its happening almost weekly.

shes disabled the mic for those apps now, and I knew you could do that, but yeah.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

listen people with jailbroken phones are decompiling these binaries and debugging them for shits, security researchers are MITM attacking their own phones and watching every connection, frugal people with expensive data plans are watching every kb that leaves their phone on the cellular network, and 20 year olds who suggest "hey wouldn't it be cool if we ..." at a facebook meeting are told by lawyers that no, no, it wouldn't be cool if we did that, please spy on people in a way that doesn't destroy our multi billion dollar publicly traded corporation.

remember that facebook knows your social graph, it knows what your friends are talking about, it knows what pages you've visited with a facebook like button on it, it has all this information about you without needing to bug your phone. you let the data leak somehow, but was not through your mic

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

You are simply underestimating the reach of these advertising networks. One of my friends had similar thoughts when she was sick and Facebook presented her with an ad for cough medicine, and didn’t consider that she bought cough medicine at a grocery store and used her loyalty card.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Look, the first few times I was happy to defend FB and say 'yes, coincidence' but this is uncanny.

my partner is not friends with the guy who did the trek on facebook
he didnt post about it on social media
we have definitely only discussed this in person, not via messenger
we have never even talked about kakoda outside of this conversation

like i said, its happened more than a few times with weird subjects shes definitely not following on facebook or researching on the internet.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Laserface posted:

Look, the first few times I was happy to defend FB and say 'yes, coincidence' but this is uncanny.

like i said, its happened more than a few times with weird subjects shes definitely not following on facebook or researching on the internet.

can you really say she absolutely did not, on her own, search the web for anything related to the subject?

e: and how close are you to this Kakoda thing? if all these tour things are popping up they're likely going to be casting wide advertising nets to anyone nearby

astral fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 14, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ok so start talking about jihad and buying explosives and stuff just casually talking to your cat or whatever and see what ads pop up

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Laserface posted:

It’s not a coincidence, it’s because they know much more about you than you seem to realize.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Your partner probably googled "what is the kakshajge trail" at some recent point and that's all it takes for advertising to show up everywhere.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Pivo posted:

ok so start talking about jihad and buying explosives and stuff just casually talking to your cat or whatever and see what ads pop up

Yeah, we could do this.

astral posted:

can you really say she absolutely did not, on her own, search the web for anything related to the subject?

e: and how close are you to this Kadoka thing? if all these tour things are popping up they're likely going to be casting wide advertising nets to anyone nearby

its in PNG which is north of Australia where I am but its not like its a common or even popular tourist destination.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Boris Galerkin posted:

Your partner probably googled "what is the kakshajge trail" at some recent point and that's all it takes for advertising to show up everywhere.

:10bux: on this.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

She knows what it is. she has confirmed no internet searches for it ever.

I'll drop it because shes disabled the microphone on every app except the ones that actually use it, but its still a bit :tinfoil:

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Ok I gently caress dolls but I also own an SE. Obviously I know what I'm doing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There’s no way I could, with any amount of confidence, “confirm” that I’ve never once googled a specific thing.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
[quote="“wicka”" post="“476384747”"]
There’s no way I could, with any amount of confidence, “confirm” that I’ve never once googled a specific thing.
[/quote]

Hell, same. My Facebook feed is now crammed with ads for “vaginal facsimiles” after a little bit of curious research.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Voted 5. Thank you, thread.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:vince:

Can this be in the OP

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

I kind of want to say cut thread here its not getting any better, but, I said that earlier today and would have really regretted missing more. So, don't close thread please, this is now the best thread outside of cspam.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Laserface posted:

Sorry but I am 100% calling bullshit. I'm not saying that she lied to you, but I am saying that she is (probably) wrong about her recollection. At some point I am absolutely positive that she googled something about it, and that's all it takes with all the cookie tracking network out there.

The "she knows what it is so she didn't google it" excuse is a really weak excuse and makes no sense. I know what an iPhone is for example but I have probably googled "something iPhone" more than once in my life. I know where Death Valley is, but I've probably googled something related to it before as well.

She 100% googled the trail at some point, and doesn't remember, or didn't think it was significant enough worth remembering.

e: Also, do you use gmail? Congrats, Google now knows everything you talk about and target you specifically for it.

Maybe you don't use gmail. Do your friends? Does anyone you know use gmail, and has emailed you? Congrats, they've use ~algorithms~ to match what you talk about with your friends, to what they know about you from social media and visiting unrelated websites.

Nowadays you don't even have to have an account, or be logged on, or do anything to be "tracked" like this. Google, Facebook, etc, can match your web history to "you". And the crazy part is it doesn't even have to be online. Someone mentioned using a loyalty card in store, paying with cash: that loyalty card can be tied back to specifically you if you've given the loyal card any information. Otherwise, they could go through multitudes of other things like "this person used a loyalty card to buy x in this store" and "someone at that same store, at the same time period, checked their Facebook messages," and given enough data points they can tie that cash purchase to your Facebook page etc.

There was a story some time ago about how Target used their tracking data to determine whether or not people were pregnant. I think it was a big fuss because people were concerned about their partners/parents finding out (because they would send targeted advertising for baby stuff) or that they've had a miscarriage/abortion and were now being reminded of something they'd rather move on from.

tldr The reach of Facebook/Google and other networks is seriously beyond reach of what you seem to think they are doing.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 14, 2017

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Laserface posted:

I'll drop it because shes disabled the microphone on every app except the ones that actually use it, but its still a bit :tinfoil:

Someone doesn't have to post about it on social media for Facebook to know they are interested in it. If a few of her friends looked it up Facebook might think she's interested too even without her looking it up. They likely know that she knows the other guy even if they aren't friends on Facebook.

If they both have location tracking enabled then Facebook would know they were in the same spot at the same time and could then think "oh x has been hanging out with y let's show her y's interests"

There are several avenues to this behavior.

Facebook is creepy but they probably aren't listening through your mic 24/7.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Consummate Professional posted:

Accidentally posted this in the event thread,

If you do the AUP you can basically preorder your preorder in the Apple store app right now for the 8. The X is still MIA. It looks like they learned a bit from last year.

Not in the UK, the option is still greyed out to select it. How does it work anyway? It's just a 0% loan over the course of 12 months right? Just wondering if it's worth it for the extra applecare+ thingy.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

track day bro! posted:

Not in the UK, the option is still greyed out to select it. How does it work anyway? It's just a 0% loan over the course of 12 months right? Just wondering if it's worth it for the extra applecare+ thingy.

(MSRP + cost of AppleCare) / 24, a little credit check between friends, that's it. Oh, and at the 12 month mark they give you the option to trade the phone in for a new one.

Not available here in Canada either. No fingerprint sensor, less space than a Nomad, lame.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Pivo posted:

(MSRP + cost of AppleCare) / 24, a little credit check between friends, that's it. Oh, and at the 12 month mark they give you the option to trade the phone in for a new one.

Not available here in Canada either. No fingerprint sensor, less space than a Nomad, lame.

Checking the website here and it's apparently a 20 month 0% loan? Oh you have to do it in store, gently caress that then.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

track day bro! posted:

Checking the website here and it's apparently a 20 month 0% loan? Oh you have to do it in store, gently caress that then.

Oh okay, UK is 20 month. I guess it's through a different financial company. US is 24 month. But yeah that's the gist of it.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Quick question.

Traditionally, if you pre ordered through a carrier and wanted it at launch will I need to be up at 3am or has ordering anytime Friday usually been fine. Ordering through ATT.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
In the UK there is also a (slightly concealed) option to do the same plans without Applecare+ (which for the X is like 8 quid per month off or something). If you plan on using the upgrade option down the road I'd suggest that it is definitely worth it, especially for the X. You would have to eat a huge cost to repair it if you wanted to actually use the upgrade.

I really want to do the AUP but that's going to be pretty much impossible to do and get an iphone X within a reasonable span of time after launch day. By the time I've showed up at the store in the morning, the delivery date will have been pushed back months

edit :

CancerStick posted:

Quick question.

Traditionally, if you pre ordered through a carrier and wanted it at launch will I need to be up at 3am or has ordering anytime Friday usually been fine. Ordering through ATT.

In my experience, the delivery dates get pushed back within hours of preorders starting.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
iPhone SE v2 with A11 chip + 6S body = shut up and take my money

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ocrassus posted:

In my experience, the delivery dates get pushed back within hours minutes of preorders starting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ocrassus posted:

In my experience, the delivery dates get pushed back within hours of preorders starting.

The base models last a bit but the higher capacity options and whatever hot color is available (jet black on the 7) vanishes almost instantly at 3am.