Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Mea Culpa posted:

It's nationally syndicated via GoComics by Universal Uclick, which was created in 2009 when Universal Press Syndicate merged with Uclick, so I'm going to keep posting it. *nyah nyah*. Anyway, let's face it, comic syndication and national readership has changed since this thread began over a decade ago. Barkeater Lake is also a webcomic, and was first published directly to GoComics.

However, I admire your purism, ShortSpecialBus, and it just so happens that I have been planning on bringing on some old-school content to bring us back to the true roots of this thread: For Better or For Worse.

As far as I've seen, on September 13, 2010, Lynn Johnston started writing up running commentary on some of the strips that are being republished, on the official website. It's interesting reading.

Which strip is based on the time she threw her baby into the snow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Mea Culpa posted:

Bad Machinery

Wow, some children of indeterminate age* waking up and going to school in some country where they drive on the left. Looks like this one's going to be quite a wild ride.

*For people in whatever country this is, I guess "grammar school" is a tell as to their ages.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

gleebster posted:

*For people in whatever country this is, I guess "grammar school" is a tell as to their ages.

Britain, and "somewhere between 11 and 19" so not really.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Calaveron posted:

Aaron was the one who had to photograph the scene of a grisly car crash that involved an old girlfriend while Michael heroically pulled said girlfriend out of the wreck and later married her right

Well, there is more to it.
Aaron didn't know that the vehicle contained an old school crush, until later. It hosed him up pretty good and he needed therapy. Her using that in the strip like that, was one of the major reasons he stopped talking to her.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, there is more to it.
Aaron didn't know that the vehicle contained an old school crush, until later. It hosed him up pretty good and he needed therapy. Her using that in the strip like that, was one of the major reasons he stopped talking to her.

Not to mention this was shortly after he came out of the closet.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I look forward to more of the Lynn Johnston is a Piece of poo poo Power Hour. :unsmigghh:

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Not a "Piece of poo poo" story so much, but I always loved the story between her and Charles Schultz about the family dog in her strip. She had planned the storyline of the dog's death, but ended up having to keep its release date tightly under wraps because Schultz (a close friend) responded to the idea by basically calling it out as melodramatic bullshit and said "If you run that story I swear to God I'll hit a Snoopy with a bus the same week and take the wind out of your sails" (paraphrased). Petty? Sure. But in hindsight that makes Schultz even more of a legend in my eyes.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
I keep hearing all these stories about Lynn Johnston's son and I've heard them so many times they may as well be true, but can someone actually cite them? Specifically Aaron not talking to Lynn or him coming out of the closet?

Modesty Blaise

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Mea Culpa posted:

Bad Machinery

I vote yes (are we voting?) on Bad Machinery, because I've read some of it, and it's very good. Then again, I'm the guy that got smacked for posting Jimmy Corrigan, The Smartest Kid on Earth , which was actually published in an alt-weekly, so what the hell do I know?

It Was Only a Dream (click for huge)

And He Did. (February, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (April, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (December, 1918, click for big)

Fritzi Ritz (November, 1922, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (December, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (December, 1940, click for big)

Dick Tracy (March, 1941, click for big)

Mopsy (May, 1941)

Archie (May, 1956, click for big)

Marmaduke (July, 1959)

Mr. Tweedy (August, 1970, click for big)

Feiffer (1975, click for big)

Andy Capp (February, 1972, click for big)

Wee Pals (April, 1972, click for big)

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

But if you overpay your bills they just reduce the next bill by that amount. He'd still only be 5 cents down no matter how long it went on for.

You hope they do. I actually got a check from a credit card company last month for goddamn 97 cents.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

I'm quite enjoying Modesty And Willie Pretend to get Kidnapped Theater.

Today's featured comment speculates that this event is Ann Eiffel's "lingerie party" at the Fuse. That would make no sense since this doesn't sound any more controversial or eeeeeevil than a lingerie party (at most it just needs a bigger venue and is probably bigger than the Fuse has room for), so that's probably what's happening.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Who has two thumbs and was groped by the TSA in multiple airports? :thumbsup:

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

I'll be doing some catchup posts shortly...

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

I haven't laughed this hard at a comic strip in a long time.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

God, Kevin and Kell is so hosed up.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set knows money can buy happiness.

Working Daze is insufferable.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix needs to try this again.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (July 15-16, 1930)

Peanuts (September 15-16, 1970)

Sally Forth

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 22-25, 1930, and we're going to make it to 1931 by the end of the year if it kills me.)

Thimble Theater (April 2-3, 1931)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Transmodiar posted:

I keep hearing all these stories about Lynn Johnston's son and I've heard them so many times they may as well be true, but can someone actually cite them? Specifically Aaron not talking to Lynn or him coming out of the closet?

Seconded. I know the story about her throwing him into the snow was from an interview that I read ages ago, but I don't know where the rest of it is from. And this is the first I've ever heard about him being gay. I like my gossip to be properly sourced. It still irritates me how Stephanie McMillan's name pops up in these forums randomly as "the woman who ate the rat-eaten mango" when that's not actually what she did.

(the blog post was a picture of a bunch of fruit she found outside that was piled up and she wrote that they ate everything except the rat-eaten mango. She worded it weird though so I can at least see where the assumption comes from)

Green Intern posted:

God, Kevin and Kell is so hosed up.

For real, I wonder if Holbrook realizes just how badly the whole cannibalism screws up the whole milquetoast "discrimination is wrong" angle he's going for. There's an insane blog post in me somewhere on how this represents liberal values intentionally defining racism as being mere ignorant intolerance rather than an explicit existential threat since acknowledging the latter would indict their complicity as much as it would conservatives. But eh, this isn't C-SPAM.

Tracksuit

I rather like this one. At first you think it's criticizing the idea that the value of English language instruction is overrated, then you realize that in retrospect several hundred years of making everyone study Chinese was probably a gigantic waste of time considering how few people actually had reason to learn it.

Mother From Another Country

Full disclosure in the context of webcomic rules chat- Mother From Another Country is a webcomic. So were all the post fakeout ending Dharmas. Dharma was definitely in a newspaper before then, though, that's where I first read it. There are other Korean newspaper comics kicking around but I haven't seen one I felt like translating yet.

Mother From Another Country is kind of weird as Korean webcomics go, since Park Seong-hoon still adheres to an exact format length when he has no technical reason to do so. Most Korean webcomic artists just use the infinite canvas as proposed by Scott McCloud to write whatever they want. I mean I get it- I work under those same restrictions when I do all my work online and have no reason to either. Once you get into the habit it's hard to break.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Phoebe

Baldo

Wizard

Big Nate

Baby Blues

Curtis

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Some Guy TT posted:

Seconded. I know the story about her throwing him into the snow was from an interview that I read ages ago, but I don't know where the rest of it is from. And this is the first I've ever heard about him being gay. I like my gossip to be properly sourced. It still irritates me how Stephanie McMillan's name pops up in these forums randomly as "the woman who ate the rat-eaten mango" when that's not actually what she did.

(the blog post was a picture of a bunch of fruit she found outside that was piled up and she wrote that they ate everything except the rat-eaten mango. She worded it weird though so I can at least see where the assumption comes from)

The quote that was passed around was "Here's some fruit I picked from the yard about five days ago. The mango on top was half-eaten by a rat, I ate the rest of it. It was great." With enough distance, yeah, it was probably an "eats, shoots and leaves" situation where people assumed from bad comma placement (and past performance) that she ate the side the rat didn't get to.

During peak MiniSec, McMillan did let mosquitos "have a little blood, which seems okay here because we don't have malaria or dengue fever in Florida (yet)." That one's unambiguous enough to call her survival instincts into question, and make me wonder if she caught the Zika virus since we stopped paying attention to her.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

at first I thought it was a bong

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

Today's featured comment speculates that this event is Ann Eiffel's "lingerie party" at the Fuse. That would make no sense since this doesn't sound any more controversial or eeeeeevil than a lingerie party (at most it just needs a bigger venue and is probably bigger than the Fuse has room for), so that's probably what's happening.
I think you're forgetting whose moral values go into this comic.

On the other hand, I kinda hope Luann gets a tattoo and we can have one of those after school special arcs that Luann thrives on, about 20 years after it would have been semi relevant and revolving around the chinese character for "fart".

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

dirksteadfast posted:

Not a "Piece of poo poo" story so much, but I always loved the story between her and Charles Schultz about the family dog in her strip. She had planned the storyline of the dog's death, but ended up having to keep its release date tightly under wraps because Schultz (a close friend) responded to the idea by basically calling it out as melodramatic bullshit and said "If you run that story I swear to God I'll hit a Snoopy with a bus the same week and take the wind out of your sails" (paraphrased). Petty? Sure. But in hindsight that makes Schultz even more of a legend in my eyes.
Honestly, that just makes Schultz sound like an arsehole. Foob characters aged in real time. The dog was going to die. That's built into the premise from the beginning.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

There's no way to take your reply that isn't an insult, so yes. You do look like you want to sleep on the couch.

God he's such an rear end in a top hat. Did she sign a prenup or something?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (January 27, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 27, 1996)

Garfield Classic (January 27, 1986)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street has days like that

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Skip works for the Umbrella corporation? Suddenly this office environment makes so much sense!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Zippy

Ripley's

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Which one is Bernard and which is Janice

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Which one is Bernard and which is Janice

The one with the glasses.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Rrrrah...?

2002 Spiderman

The Amazing Colorist

Nancy

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

This is me IRL.

RandomPauI posted:

There's no way to take your reply that isn't an insult, so yes. You do look like you want to sleep on the couch.

God he's such an rear end in a top hat. Did she sign a prenup or something?

It's not even one of those "Wifes ask trick questions lol!" jokes. It's not that hard to come up with, "What are you talking about? You're beautiful," or "That's not a flattering picture, [Friend] clearly posted the best picture of herself and to hell with everybody else in the group" or even "I like that picture." Ed's just such a dick he can't conceive of any other way to be.

GoComics Featured Comment of the Morning by KENHENSE posted:

The last frame is touching. I hope most of us are able to shed at least half a tear for Bern.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was saying Boo-nice.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
In a twist, the Ice Queen is a merciless despot that keeps a tortured slave underclass so they can live in luxury. Blaze was from that underclass, and was trying to bring justice to wrongs.

GOOD GOING, FLASH. You got involved in poo poo you didn't understand because of a nice pair of tits.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

...and the pitch! posted:

An early Gilchrist cameo.
:lol: That's just perfect.

Also I'm joining the posters loving the hell out of this Modestly Blaise story.
And this may be my favorite Ballard Street now.

F Minus

Why do they call them coffee tables? They're not just for coffee! Who puts coffee on a coffee table anyways? Airline peanuts!

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"But...he's really hot, okay?"

The Phantom: Nights

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I'm not sure parents can just give their kids away.

Apartment 3-G

Some stuff must have happens on a Sunday because as far as I can tell this guy did squat other than run around with Bart for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

• Locked thread