Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gimmick Account posted:

Wiz, if you're still with us in this thread, would you consider implementing more pre-made starting systems like Sol and Deneb? Because what I would really like is a tomb world start for use with machine empires. Due to their perfect habitability traits it wouldn't harm them at all, and it would explain why there are only robots around and how their civilization came to be. Might be a good place for a custom introductory text, too.

You know, this might even go well together with a rogue servitor start if the trophy species starts as 'very adaptable'. The theme for the early game would basically be 'Our creators ruined themselves, so we forcibly took over to save the last of them and now we are looking for a new homeland to settle them in'.

Does this premise sound interesting to anyone else?
I'd love a bunch of weird varied starts, even if half of them are disabled in multiplayer for balance or what have you. I know there's a bunch of scenario maps on the steam workshop but I'd love things like starting in the trappist system with three colonised planets but a heavy science debt because nearby easily colonisable planets made you get real good at space while otherwise in the early industrial revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I think there's probably a way to work planet sizes and types into the trait system.

Like a trait that let's you start on a Gaia world but you have -20% habitability to all other planet types and your pops are used to paradise.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Kitchner posted:

I think there's probably a way to work planet sizes and types into the trait system.

Like a trait that let's you start on a Gaia world but you have -20% habitability to all other planet types and your pops are used to paradise.

I'd like to see a separate pool for 'homeworld traits'; move things like syncretic evolution over there, and have stuff like Master of Orion's 'mineral rich' or 'ancient artifacts' as bonuses to pick for your starting system.

Sarthek
Dec 30, 2002

Kitchner posted:

Something like this with benefits stacked towards a 'tall' play style would be a nice addition. I'd like more of an option to be space Switzerland.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Yeah, homeworld traits sound great. It never dawned on me before that they could simply be separated from the genetic ones, huh.

I really like the idea of nonstandard starting positions as well, but I've always been a proponent of the scenario concept instead of the sandbox one in these kinds of games, so no surprise here.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Angry Salami posted:

I'd like to see a separate pool for 'homeworld traits'; move things like syncretic evolution over there, and have stuff like Master of Orion's 'mineral rich' or 'ancient artifacts' as bonuses to pick for your starting system.

Yeah, I'd like this too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It's obviously not the same thing but I'm pretty sure you can create new custom starting systems by editing/creating files.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Angry Salami posted:

This is a really good idea! It'd be a cool way to differentiate empires a bit more.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

FAding Suns is good poo poo. Imagine living on a giant space habitat that nobody knows how to maintain.

I mean, we kind of already do.

E:fb.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Starting with an early-game strategic resource (plus the technology to use it already researched and the associated building already constructed) could be another homeworld trait. Or having a second colonizable planet in the same system, although that should be worth more than one point. Or having been enlightened (and thus, vassalized) by an advanced start empire, hehe.

Anyone who's on Twitter want to link Wiz to this page of the thread? I think it would be a shame if he didn't at least read about all this stuff.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

You know, it never occurred to me that I could reform to and from devouring swarm hive mind.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The hive mind woke up one century and just got hella hangry.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Five bloody decades later it's full and kind of sleepy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mood swings should definitely be a mechanic for hive minds.

"Dear Diary, today that frigid bitch empire on the galactic western arm declined my invitation to form a defensive pact, goddammit this always loving happens to me why does everybody keep loving friendzoning me in NAPs when all I want is a loving defensive pact. I even sent them a data packet containing dick picks of every one of my 37 billion drones.

gently caress it I just feel so lovely right now, fml."

-30 diplomatic malus with all empires, -20% energy/minerals/influence/unity for 15 years.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 14, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
What is the rate of decay on the fanatical purifier/devouring swarm mauls to diplomacy?

If it just disappears it's pretty hosed up you can be a threat to all life in the galaxy and you just say "nah I'm not into that anymore" and everyone goes "ahh cool"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^if you went purifying you should have minus several hundred from threat and genocide which decays at the normal rate

OwlFancier posted:

"Dear Diary, today that frigid bitch empire on the galactic western arm declined my invitation to form a defensive pact, goddammit this always loving happens to me why does everybody keep loving friendzoning me in NAPs when all I want is a loving defensive pact. I even sent them a data packet containing dick picks of every one of my 37 billion drones.

-30 diplomatic malus with all empires, -20% energy/minerals/influence/unity for 15 years.

All empires: +1000% xenophobic ethos attraction

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kitchner posted:

What is the rate of decay on the fanatical purifier/devouring swarm mauls to diplomacy?

If it just disappears it's pretty hosed up you can be a threat to all life in the galaxy and you just say "nah I'm not into that anymore" and everyone goes "ahh cool"

It's pretty huge. I didn't even do devouring swarm, I just ate one measly little planet to see if it was worth it and everyone loving hated my guts forever. It was like -500 immediately and decayed at -1 per year.

I defeated the scourge and saved the galaxy and they still all hated me so I had to destroy all sentient life to achieve peace. :shrug:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Grand Fromage posted:

It's pretty huge. I didn't even do devouring swarm, I just ate one measly little planet to see if it was worth it and everyone loving hated my guts forever. It was like -500 immediately and decayed at -1 per year.

I defeated the scourge and saved the galaxy and they still all hated me so I had to destroy all sentient life to achieve peace. :shrug:
See that Dyson sphere? We built that with our own 2^40 hands. But do they call us All-Mind the Dyson Sphere builder?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
:siren: IT IS 1.8 PATCH NOTES O'CLOCK :siren:

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah I ate one guy and that's all anyone every remembers what gives?!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I highly recommend any hive mind fans with a Hulu subscription go watch Rick & Morty episode "Auto-Erotic Assimilation" (season 2) if you haven't yet.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

There is so much good stuff in this. Looking forward to playing a missile-loving assimilating robotic swarm in a week's time!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

You know, it never occurred to me that I could reform to and from devouring swarm hive mind.

Yeah, it is one of the reasons no one trusts hiveminds.

I always restrict them to one system, vassazile them and like that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

"- Liberated empires will now refuse all offers to become subjects for 20 years after gaining independence"

A lot of stuff already discussed by I didn't see this one. No more avoiding threat by liberating instead of ceding.

quote:

- Only components that can be reverse-engineered and are not currently researched will now show up in debris, if there are no valid components to reverse-engineer, debris won't spawn at all

And this change is fantastic.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Kitchner posted:

It doesn't exist, being a super threatening xenophilic neighbor caused the bloodcourt and the evangelizing swarm to reform to be less hardcore after a century of being my neighbors. Tbf I started an alliance that was specifically devoted to nuking them back to the stone age if they tried to expand.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

quote:

- Mastery of Nature now reduces cost to clear blockers by -50% instead of -100%

BOOOOOOOO!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Many cost reductions have been thrown out. It's gonna be a lot more expensive to run everything. Faith In Science is gonna be useful to get Ascendencies.

Agrarian Idyll being locked to Fanatic Pacifist is a pain. Though given Pacifists are getting flat extra resource production, I guess it'll be viable, maybe?

They seemed to get rid of Polytechnic Education, but Meritocracy and Talented still do their thing. Huh.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

canepazzo posted:

BOOOOOOOO!

It's now a strong first pick instead of "picking any other ascendancy perk is an error"

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Yeah, I'm just a tiny bit serious.

I like that different planet types have different resource potential:

- Tropical, Continental and Ocean worlds are now more likely to have food, society and mixed deposits
- Arid, Savannah and Desert worlds are now more likely to have energy and physics deposits
- Arctic, Alpine and Tundra worlds are now more likely to have mineral and engineering deposits

Making planet preference actually make a difference now, rather than just cosmetic.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

Added a new event option for the Dathnak naming their new homeworld Baldarak if your species name is, in fact, Baldarak

:lol:

On that event chain does anything happen if you don't take back the revolutionaries? The updates on various purges/renaming/etc is always "Interesting."

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The danger being that Minerals Control Everything(Potentially giving a real concrete advantage to the cold-lovers that can spiral) and mixed resources tend to be a pain because no building by default exploits the combos. So you tend to leave them clear.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Love the new robo-portraits. Not sure which portrait is supposed to be which species class though.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Bloodly posted:

The danger being that Minerals Control Everything(Potentially giving a real concrete advantage to the cold-lovers that can spiral) and mixed resources tend to be a pain because no building by default exploits the combos. So you tend to leave them clear.

Every category got 1 type of resource + 1 type of science, except for wet which also got mixed bonuses. Seeing as food was the least valuable resource I'd say that puts wet on par with cold. They also bumped up energy & food tile bonuses so maybe an average dry planet will produce about 125% as much energy as a cold planet produces minerals?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

quote:

- Certain event-generated leaders (such as Prethoryn Queen) can no longer lead factions or be elected as rulers

RIP President Fleet Consciousness.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

...for a couple more weeks :v:
So much good stuff here I can't even pick anything specific to comment on. Love the Unity and tradition changes.

canepazzo posted:

BOOOOOOOO!
Mastery of Nerfture :(

Bloodly posted:

Agrarian Idyll being locked to Fanatic Pacifist is a pain. Though given Pacifists are getting flat extra resource production, I guess it'll be viable, maybe?
Unity production has been slashed across the board, so a one point dip into pacifism would be just too good not to take.

Discovery is loving nuts again.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nevets posted:

Every category got 1 type of resource + 1 type of science, except for wet which also got mixed bonuses. Seeing as food was the least valuable resource I'd say that puts wet on par with cold. They also bumped up energy & food tile bonuses so maybe an average dry planet will produce about 125% as much energy as a cold planet produces minerals?
Yeah, this was said a while back, as long as you get more energy from cold than minerals from hot it should balance out fine.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I'm most excited about the ability to "Added the ability to customize your secondary species" because I'm really annoyed with Proles. My empire of a thousand thousand gods demands egalitarianism, it's not making an informed choice if you've been bred to be too stupid to understand basic science. I do think that at some point all traits good or bad should be options for genetic points. If you're a gerontocracy maybe you deliberately make the species in your empire you don't like die sooner, as a way of enforcing your caste systems. If you're cool, maybe you think keeping people out of certain jobs because they're genetically bad at them is a problem. Honestly, prole status as a non-bad genetic thing offends me is what it boils down to.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

"- Liberated empires will now refuse all offers to become subjects for 20 years after gaining independence"

A lot of stuff already discussed by I didn't see this one. No more avoiding threat by liberating instead of ceding.

And this change is fantastic.

Well, there goes the only reason to ever liberate as a non-pacifist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean they're still gonna love you and bro up, you just can't immediately subjugate them under your boot the minute you "liberate" them.

And they still don't give you a load of crappy planets that the AI colonized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

quote:

- The Devouring Swarm and Fanatical Purifier civics can no longer be added or removed after game start
Unfortunate, I really liked doing Inwards Perfection -> Fanatical Purifier. Like the other changes though.

• Locked thread